closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another stabbing incident...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Agreed, the reasons are many, but too much exposure to violence in the virtual world is definitely a player, no pun intended.
    The reason the war generations didn't come home stabbing each other is because they had experienced the horror for real, and not make believe on a video screen. It has long been known that too much time spent in an artificial environment, such as a computer game blurs the line between pretend and reality. I think this was first recognised in the aftermath of the Tenerife air disaster. It was decided by the board that one of the many factors leading to the crash was Captain Van Zanten's many hours spent in the flight simulator supervising trainee pilots influenced him to take risks in real life he would not have done without the hundreds of hours spent in an artificial world.
    Possibly, but I believe all research shows there isn’t a correlation between violent movies and video games and committing crimes. In the 80s there was a real fear that movies like Nightmare and Elm Street etc was causing violence.

Again, all kids play violent games these days. So why do some groups commit violence, it would appear on the face of it violent games aren’t the causal factor.

Also, experiencing violence would likely be the causal factor for being violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Also, experiencing violence would likely be the causal factor for being violent.
    Very true. Carrying a knife out of fear of being attacked with a knife makes that outcome all the more likely.

I believe a contributor to knife crime amongst the younger population can be attributed to the toxic environments created by austerity. Social deprivation, reduction in services for young people (less youth services, youth centres, etc). Less police on the streets means less protection for victims, who in turn feel the need to protect themselves by carrying a weapon.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well you could make it illegal to carry a fixed blade knife, or locking knife, or folding knife with a cutting edge longer than 3 inches on the streets. But they already have.

Unfortunately you can't legislate against idiots/lunatics/terrorists.
    Yeah they have brought in laws, I have four legal knives I rotate as my edc. but even the law around this is odd. I’ve an illegal knife as I have in my credit card wallet a Swiss card. That contains a tiny fixed blade. That’s illegal. Also it’s 3” cutting edge, so some knives with pronounced up curves or tanto tips can exceed 3” cutting edge.
    I’m lucky I was taught by my late father how to use a knife. It’s a tool not a weapon. I do think knife crime amongst youngsters seems to be glorified.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I believe a contributor to knife crime amongst the younger population can be attributed to the toxic environments created by austerity. Social deprivation, reduction in services for young people (less youth services, youth centres, etc). Less police on the streets means less protection for victims, who in turn feel the need to protect themselves by carrying a weapon.

R
    Possibly, but it has to be more than just this. Children today have more than ever before. Compare a 1850s,1920s, 1980s child to one of today.

I agree that more needs to be put into education and services. But, not at the expense of good parenting. The state can support vulnerable children but parenting can’t be outsourced on a wider level. Which unfortunately some people expect and we seem to be moving to.

My view would be to make any kind of work seriously worthwhile. Large minimum wage increase, give working families some pride back and the resources to raise their own
    Children in the way they see fit.

I work with children and the low expectations some professionals have for them is terrifying.

Blog Entries

R
    I grew up on a council estate, we didn't have "youth services, youth centres etc." and it was very working class. In the 1960s we didn't have much in the way of luxuries and there was no reduction in services for young people, mainly because there weren't any to speak of. It wasn't unusual for one or more of us to be carrying 'sheath knives' as they were called then. I can't remember anyone being stabbed in the street.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Possibly, but it has to be more than just this. Children today have more than ever before. Compare a 1850s,1920s, 1980s child to one of today.
    More material things, yes.

I agree that more needs to be put into education and services. But, not at the expense of good parenting.
    Ideally both.

The state can support vulnerable children but parenting can’t be outsourced on a wider level.
    The problem today is that there are more vulnerable children and less resources to support them.

Which unfortunately some people expect and we seem to be moving to.

My view would be to make any kind of work seriously worthwhile. Large minimum wage increase, give working families some pride back and the resources to raise their own
    Children in the way they see fit.
    That would certainly help improve things, but I for one cannot see much likelihood of the current status quo changing for the poorer sector of our society.

I work with children and the low expectations some professionals have for them is terrifying.
    Could you expand on which professionals and what expectations you are referring to here?
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I grew up on a council estate, we didn't have "youth services, youth centres etc." and it was very working class. In the 1960s we didn't have much in the way of luxuries and there was no reduction in services for young people, mainly because there weren't any to speak of. It wasn't unusual for one or more of us to be carrying 'sheath knives' as they were called then. I can't remember anyone being stabbed in the street.
    That was then, this is now.

R

R
    So on the assumption peoples brains haven't evolved greatly in the last fifty years, the main changes are social media, youtube and its ilk, violent computer games, and gangsta culture, as degradration and poverty have basically always existed as OOK alluded to. But it was without this level of violent crime, although some was always present back then.
    The graphic violence, including real footage, and sex that today's youngsters have seen would have truly boggled our minds back then, it must have an affect on a vulnerable youth today.
    The other massive change is of course the break down of the family unit, with its role models gone, replaced by absent fathers and various combinations of half siblings.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 6th June 2021 at 09:13.

Blog Entries

R
    Yes. I suppose I was lucky as well in that my father was hardworking and always there as a role model as well. Something the state cannot provide.

Master

Another stabbing incident...

But surely material things are linked to deprivation and austerity. There weren’t more youth clubs and services for children 50 or 100 years ago. Possibly the difference is the tome parents had to be with children?

So why are there more vulnerable children today, is it values instilled at home, definitions? When 15 year olds were volunteering to sign up to fight in WW1 they were pretty vulnerable then, and there’s plenty of instances like that.

Some parents, from all classes don’t seem to have the desire to put the time in. middle classes are the worst sometimes, they know their rights and will ring a school dry through complaints etc. They had a life before of yoga and travel and they don’t think it should change.

Unfortunately professionals don’t have the time or buy in a parent has. I listen to my children, but if they’re taking the piss I make sure they do their homework, go to rugby, practice violin etc. I work in a school and I firmly believe the best thing we can do is provide life opportunities. The 2015 SEND Code of Practice really tried to address this but it hasn’t worked.

I was speaking to an Educational Psychologist and she firmly believes that there is no bad behaviour, it’s just communication, they’re letting you know they’re unhappy (which is certainly true in some but not all cases). But after 11 years of school what if this ‘communication’ hasn’t stopped.

But surely material things are linked to deprivation and austerity. There weren’t more youth clubs and services for children 50 or 100 years ago.
    In the latest stats I could find (2019):

£422.3m: reduction in spending on services for young people in last six years
    3,500: number of youth service jobs lost (since 2010)
    600: number of youth centres closed (since 2010)
    130,000: number of places in youth centres eliminated (since 2010)
    And it has only worsened since 2019 I'd imagine.

R

Yes. I suppose I was lucky as well in that my father was hardworking and always there as a role model as well. Something the state cannot provide.
    I regard myself as fortunate too, albeit that my father was working away for long periods during my formative years. But society now is very different, less 2-parent families, mothers working away from the home, less respect for social authority, the explosion of social media, less police on the streets...

R

The Govenment have neglected the UK people in favour of their favourite past time. Middle east conflicts that have wasted tens of billions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    The Govenment have neglected the UK people in favour of their favourite past time. Middle east conflicts that have wasted tens of billions.

That’s not altogether true. They look after their own. Unfortunately their own is limited to party donors, asset strippers and a motley collection of chancers and spivs.

Master

R
    But even with that reduction it’s in real times more than say 1950, that’s the point. I’m sure they help but austerity is far from the root cause.

R
    Also worth looking at the stats for black youth unemployment.

Blog Entries
    I regard myself as fortunate too, albeit that my father was working away for long periods during my formative years. But society now is very different, less 2-parent families, mothers working away from the home, less respect for social authority, the explosion of social media, less police on the streets...

R
    Many of the things you mention we were told didn't have adverse effects on children. The idea that 2-parent families and mothers staying in the home, was better for childrens social and educational development, was almost blasphemous. I still maintain it all begins in the home. It's the parents responsibility to ensure their children grow up to be law abiding, well adjusted members of society. Not the schools or social services and certainly not the government.

I know you can't compare the USA directly with the UK but I still think this guy talks sense.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fz9b86Th8
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 6th June 2021 at 18:28.

But even with that reduction it’s in real times more than say 1950, that’s the point. I’m sure they help but austerity is far from the root cause.
    So what would you say is the root cause?

R

Many of the things you mention we were told didn't have adverse effects on children. The idea that 2-parent families and mothers staying in the home, was better for childrens social and educational development, was almost blasphemous. I still maintain it all begins in the home. It's the parents responsibility to ensure their children grow up to be law abiding, well adjusted members of society. Not the schools or social services and certainly not the government.
    I entirely agree with you. However, society today has more single-parent families and furthermore the single parent is more likely to be the mother.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 6th June 2021 at 18:42.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Also worth looking at the stats for black youth unemployment.
    Without looking I’m sure the rates will be significantly higher than for white youth unemployment.
    The big question of course is why that is?
    R

Without looking I’m sure the rates will be significantly higher than for white youth unemployment.
    The big question of course is why that is?
    R
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...on-riots-covid

Your question is key. Why, and how can it be remedied?

Master

So what would you say is the root cause?

R
    Not a clue, I think it’s a combination of many things though! I think family break down is a factor though, parents not realising having kids is hard work and life changing. I guess 50 years ago there wasn’t much opportunity cost for parents with regards to leisure time. No internet, SM, gyms, holidays etc. There was more time to spend with their kids

In some ways low paid jobs are harder these days, I appreciate mining was hard but it was vocation people could be proud of.

Really, who knows, I just don’t think we can pin it on one thing.

Sorry but that's absolute garbage and I hate that sorry excuse. Generations of people fought in conflicts and wars where they've seen unimaginable horrors and I imagine that can desensitise people however these same people didn't and don't decide to carry knives and go out stabbing people. The answer lies firmly at the doors of the parents.

You can live on the most drug and violence-ridden estate in the sh*tiest town and still be a law-abiding, respectful and decent member of the population if you're shown how to do that. It starts in the home....every time.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Many people now have grown up on games like GTA, Assassin's Creed, watched lots of music videos downloaded hundreds of ultra violent movies, it's no wonder Generation Z are desensitised to violence and think nothing of carrying a knife.

I think it starts in the home and then the lack social care ensures the problems are never ending. I wonder how many of the perpetrators of stabbing come from single parent families or where there is no bread winner? I don’t think it’s difficult to see why many young men turn to gang culture, drugs and crime, the problem then is self perpetuating.

Blog Entries
    Most single parent families will be less financially secure than two parent families. Most single parent families will have no father present.
    So the result is children in families struggling financially, with no father to be a role model. By the time they come to the attention of social services or the courts it’s too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I think it starts in the home and then the lack social care ensures the problems are never ending. I wonder how many of the perpetrators of stabbing come from single parent families or where there is no bread winner? I don’t think it’s difficult to see why many young men turn to gang culture, drugs and crime, the problem then is self perpetuating.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Sorry but that's absolute garbage and I hate that sorry excuse. Generations of people fought in conflicts and wars where they've seen unimaginable horrors and I imagine that can desensitise people however these same people didn't and don't decide to carry knives and go out stabbing people. The answer lies firmly at the doors of the parents.

You can live on the most drug and violence-ridden estate in the sh*tiest town and still be a law-abiding, respectful and decent member of the population if you're shown how to do that. It starts in the home....every time.
    Agree with this.

Neither do I.

R

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

Sorry but I disagree. It's a nature/nurture mix IMO.

My mum ran away from my dad before I was one and we found shelter in a woman's refuse before getting a council flat in quite a grim estate. Three boys and the divorced Irish single parent stigma of the 80's and 90's, worse than being Muslim after 9/11 once you add in free school meals and still wearing shorts from last term when it's December. We did a flat swap to a place half the size through the council to not be on an estate and lucked out with a good area. If we didn't get out of that estate my life would be completely different.

My mum worked three jobs and was never around. Even in the weekends she would just be in bed while we'd be out for 12 hours per day on bikes with 50p each in our pockets. We saw her for an hour or two per day and had understanding neighbours. If any of our neighbours had reported us we would have all been thrown into care, no question. This was threatened often by my mum and by some of the neighbours when we were getting too out of hand.

There's a reason they're called your formative years, they form who you are. Luckily mine were spent making friends with local kids who weren't from council estates, expelled from school, from homes with parents not on drugs. My mum being around or not wouldn't have made a difference so if that's true how can it all start at home?

I hate the term "product of my environment" but it's true more than its false. I was lucky to be taken out of an awful environment and dropped into a small council flat (9 flats, small block) in a very good part of the borough and am a product of that better environment instead.

"You can live on the most drug and violence-ridden estate in the sh*tiest town and still be a law-abiding, respectful and decent member of the population"

You're right, you can. It just isn't likely.

Blog Entries

Neither do I.

R
    I agree that there is probably more than one reason for knife crime.

And it goes on... every day occurrence now
    https://news.sky.com/story/two-teena...luton-12328295

And still it goes on, knife crimes at its highest level since records began, how the hell do we stop this stuff…
    https://news.sky.com/story/fatal-sta...began-12806729

And now the news 2 fifteen years old’s are charged with the stabbing and murder of a young girl in a park, 15 year’s old!!!

My daughter recently came home from school telling me a kid in her school was suspended for bringing a knife into school, I’m not sure what the answer is but something needs to be done…

What the hell is happening…

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I’m not sure what the answer is but something needs to be done…
    It definitely does and the answer is elusive if there is one.
    Unfortunately every household has a kitchen drawer full of deadly weapons so it can never be completely eradicated.
    Measures such as increased stop and search (controversial), stiffer sentencing for carrying (effectiveness highly debatable), and of course measures to change gang and youth culture (where do you start) can hopefully reduce it somewhat.

I’d agree with all three of those options to be honest if it starts getting through to the youth gang culture and of course adults as well…
    I was gobsmacked when my daughter told me about the kid getting suspended at her school, it’s an excellent school and I just didn’t think things like that would happen there, how wrong was I…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gov could greatly reduce knife crime by dishing out barbaric full life jail sentences for a barbaric act of plunging a knife into another person.

Those 15 year olds who murdered the trans girl will walking free at age 22 / 23 and some of that time will be spent in the youth holiday camp for deranged youths.

The Gov could greatly reduce knife crime by dishing out barbaric full life jail sentences for a barbaric act of plunging a knife into another person.

Those 15 year olds who murdered the trans girl will walking free at age 22 / 23 and some of that time will be spent in the youth holiday camp for deranged youths.
    Capital punishment ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    It definitely does and the answer is elusive if there is one.
    Unfortunately every household has a kitchen drawer full of deadly weapons so it can never be completely eradicated.
    Measures such as increased stop and search (controversial), stiffer sentencing for carrying (effectiveness highly debatable), and of course measures to change gang and youth culture (where do you start) can hopefully reduce it somewhat.
    Stop and search does work but won’t, anyone stopped will just hold there hand up and accuse the police of stereotyping and the police will be told to stop picking on the poor lambs.

Sorry I just don't think that's going to work...Until there's some genuine levelling up, balance is restored to society this will just keep happening, I hate to say it more frequently. People have to be helped, build from the bottom up. Sadly these days it's all about division whilst the bifurcation of society, solidifying into the haves and have nots, roars on at speed. And pulling oneself up into some degree of financial security doesn't get any easier with time, fewer ladders.

It's been over 2 decades since my stabbing in South London. They were kids too, probably no older than 14 or 15, never caught, I don't think very much effort was put into that, even then, resources and priorities and I wasn't too badly hurt. It's only getting worse, the fabric of society has become very, very thin in places.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Stop and search does work but won’t, anyone stopped will just hold there hand up and accuse the police of stereotyping and the police will be told to stop picking on the poor lambs.

Yep.

Master

If it was murder - prearranged meeting, intent to kill - then they'll not be out then. They might be out by 25 if they can successfully run a manslaughter defence (it wasn't a hate crime, all went horribly wrong, never intended any of this, plead guilty at the first available opportunity) and even then that's if they perform well in the young offender facility and can show that they're genuinely reformed. If convicted of murder, they'll not be out until their early/mid 30s in any event.

As for 'barbaric full life sentences', what you're saying there is that people cannot change, they cannot reform. When I think of what I was like at the age of 15 - hormonal, violent, incredibly antisocial - it makes me shudder. Thankfully I didn't do anything too appalling in my mid-teens and I grew out of it. Perhaps these children will change - one can only hope - but if convicted of murder they will almost certainly be released on parole on lifelong licence so that they can (like Jon Venables of Jamie Bulger infamy) be recalled to prison if they ever reoffend.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    If it was murder - prearranged meeting, intent to kill - then they'll not be out then. They might be out by 25 if they can successfully run a manslaughter defence (it wasn't a hate crime, all went horribly wrong, never intended any of this, plead guilty at the first available opportunity) and even then that's if they perform well in the young offender facility and can show that they're genuinely reformed. If convicted of murder, they'll not be out until their early/mid 30s in any event.

As for 'barbaric full life sentences', what you're saying there is that people cannot change, they cannot reform. When I think of what I was like at the age of 15 - hormonal, violent, incredibly antisocial - it makes me shudder. Thankfully I didn't do anything too appalling in my mid-teens and I grew out of it. Perhaps these children will change - one can only hope - but if convicted of murder they will almost certainly be released on parole on lifelong licence so that they can (like Jon Venables of Jamie Bulger infamy) be recalled to prison if they ever reoffend.
    But if there "new" offence is murder then its too late for the victim :(

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    And still it goes on, knife crimes at its highest level since records began, how the hell do we stop this stuff…
    https://news.sky.com/story/fatal-sta...began-12806729

And now the news 2 fifteen years old’s are charged with the stabbing and murder of a young girl in a park, 15 year’s old!!!

My daughter recently came home from school telling me a kid in her school was suspended for bringing a knife into school, I’m not sure what the answer is but something needs to be done…

What the hell is happening…
    When I was in Secondary School I remember, on at least two occasions, kids bringing knives into school - that was ~35 years back. Not what I'd describe as a rough part of town, either.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    When I was in Secondary School I remember, on at least two occasions, kids bringing knives into school - that was ~35 years back. Not what I'd describe as a rough part of town, either.
    65 years ago most of us lads would take a pen knife or sheaf knife to school and play spredsys at break time and there was NEVER an incident or threat, different times.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    65 years ago most of us lads would take a pen knife or sheaf knife to school and play spredsys at break time and there was NEVER an incident or threat, different times.
    It was certainly frowned upon 35 to 40 years ago at my Grammar School...One winter it snowed and we had an epic battle with the next door Comprehensive, unfortunately one of theirs ran up to one of our prefects and slashed his hand quite badly with something sharp, someone else also lobbed a flick knife over instead of a snowball, ehh good times, them were t'days.