closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hi-Ffi questions!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Wasn't Magirus there to put it out Paul?
    In the dream, the wooden base had burnt away, leaving the motor and plinth smouldering with a warped record on.

I think I decided I could fix it.........always the optimist!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Can I ask how you are getting on with the new setup?
    I'm looking for something similar but ideally made in the UK.
    I will update when it’s set up b&w speakers are English I was looking at more upmarket british mini systems but non have cds anymore I still have an extensive cd collection so had to go jap I’ve had a few bits of Yamaha and always been impressed when compared with the likes of Sony etc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    Another Arcam owner here. FMJ A38/P38 bi amped (and bi wired) through B&W CM9s
    Not sure how you can bi-amp and bi-wire but I assume you are just feeding each amp output with it's own leads to the speakers with the hi/lo bridge link removed, ie two pairs to each of the front speakers. Biwiring is where you have one amp channel out down two pairs of cables to the speakers with the link removed so the bass driver is fed from a different pair than the high end mid/tweeter.

This can only work if the speakers have removable links to separate the bass driver.

Bi-amping, by definition, needs it's own pair of cables per amp channel.

Is there any difference in terminology between biamping using additional channels on one amp, or using two amps? Obviously two sets of cables in each case and the tweeter and bass unit bridges removed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Not sure how you can bi-amp and bi-wire but I assume you are just feeding each amp output with it's own leads to the speakers with the hi/lo bridge link removed, ie two pairs to each of the front speakers. Biwiring is where you have one amp channel out down two pairs of cables to the speakers with the link removed so the bass driver is fed from a different pair than the high end mid/tweeter.

This can only work if the speakers have removable links to separate the bass driver.

Bi-amping, by definition, needs it's own pair of cables per amp channel.
    I did this on mine most decent speakers have a removable bridge I had the power amp running the bass and integrated running mid and treble some people with a lot of money will have 4 or more amps One to run each driver in each speaker Gets very expensive though with some people buying speakers that cost as much as a bmw m5 or more

Has anyone mentioned pro-ject turntables yet? I have a debut bought maybe 15- 20 years ago which still sounds good and is relatively simple to set up and use. Richer sounds stock them I think so maybe worth a look.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Is there any difference in terminology between biamping using additional channels on one amp, or using two amps? Obviously two sets of cables in each case and the tweeter and bass unit bridges removed.
    As long as the amplifier is capable of supporting the load without clipping then passive bi-amping and b-wiring is a totally pointless exercise dreamed up by the hi-fi industry to flog more stuff.

If you want to know why then google the Superposition Principle

If you want to upgrade your system then sell your amp, add to it the money you were going to spend on amps and cable bi-amping and buy a better amp.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I will update when it’s set up b&w speakers are English I was looking at more upmarket british mini systems but non have cds anymore I still have an extensive cd collection so had to go jap I’ve had a few bits of Yamaha and always been impressed when compared with the likes of Sony etc
    Cheers, interested to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    As long as the amplifier is capable of supporting the load without clipping then passive bi-amping and b-wiring is a totally pointless exercise dreamed up by the hi-fi industry to flog more stuff.

If you want to upgrade your system then sell your amp, add to it the money you were going to spend on amps and cable bi-amping and buy a better amp.
    Thanks K.

Off to Google that.

Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC0s6KqQz3g

Here is an interesting video , using different speaker cables gives different current characteristics when they are used as antennas for radio.

All sounds great in principle but its completely irrelevant to using the wires in the situation to run a signal to loudspeaker.

He does make a good point about nominal cable resistance having no perceptible impact into sound.

There are things called "standards" that are applied to things like video and audio in order to categorise any deviation away from a ratified standard so that meaningful levels of accuracy and tolerance can be quantified in a system with some level of relevance to the human sensorium.

These standards are arrived at by chucking a bunch of average people into a room and subjecting them to visual and aural stimuli and seeing if any correlation can be made with regard to response relative to stimuli. Eventually in combination with imaging and sound technological systems and limitations a standard is arrived at that leverages engineering against perception hopefully to the maximum benefit of both.

The key thing is that it involves real human beings responding to stimuli.

So unless you illustrate any of these hifi tweaks with a blind listening test with a significant sample size using consistent comparison and discrete changes then the hifi tweak is at best unproven and worst complete snake oil.

If in doubt follow the money and trust your ears.

Master

Assuming each output on the amp has discrete seperate power amp stages then its biamping. Quite a few amps ( especially the ones with A/B room options) that do have more than a single speaker output often did not have separate internal amp stages to each output in which case the outputs are sort of operating in parallel , something that may not be apparent at normal listening.

However it wouldn't strictly be biamping.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

Yes I totally agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    Has anyone mentioned pro-ject turntables yet? I have a debut bought maybe 15- 20 years ago which still sounds good and is relatively simple to set up and use. Richer sounds stock them I think so maybe worth a look.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Robert the Project Debut is an excellent turntable and certainly the best in the price category.

I thought it best to do a bit of an update, seeing as how much info./advice has been given!

Ive got the speakers sorted out...I got some B and W , CM1, they should be arrivng soon...Ive also got the C.D. player sorted out, Marantz CD6003..............Which leaves me with the amp. and the deck..(not those 2 on the telly!)....Im "thinking", I will "probably" get a new amp. Rega Brio, and a new turntable Rega Playna 2.................

The speakers and the C.D. are used...I was thinking maybe Id get a used amp and deck....then I was thinking...hmmn I dont want any "issues" with the turntable, broken in transit or not working blah blah blah! (not logical I know! as a new one could get damaged in transit too!)...So I thought Id get a new one, then I was thinking ...OK i will get a used Brio........couldnt find many online at all...those that i did find...were hardly any cheaper than new anyway...I "maybe" able to get a discount of the Rega too...

I wont "commit" to buying the new turntable and amp. until the endish of the week.........SO! If anybody has any ideas of what else I could be getting amp and turntable wise.......for say £800-£1,000 , new or used.....Im all ears!

I did find myself getting a bit "bogged" down about D.A.B. tuner or just fm etc...but that can wait for now!!

It sure is a rabbit hole these days getting some stereo gear though!

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    If anybody has any ideas of what else I could be getting amp and turntable wise.......for say £800-£1,000 , new or used.....Im all ears
    I'd go for the new Arcam SA10 amplifier and a Rega P2 turntable.Slightly over your budget but will make those CM1's sing.

I'm almost tempted to buy that amp myself!

I'd go for the new Arcam SA10 amplifier and a Rega P2 turntable.Slightly over your budget but will make those CM1's sing.

I'm almost tempted to buy that amp myself!
    Thanks for that...

Hmmn tempting! I just had a quick look for prices etc....It can be had on an e-bay "shop" for just under £550...........I could get the Brio for about £40 cheaper than that...(but then Id lose the discount on the Rega P2!)....looks like I have more to think about!

Thanks for that.

Master
    Already mentioned the Audiolab 6000a on this thread, it's up there with the Brio but gives you a lot more connectivity options e.g. my CD is connected by optical connection and uses sthe built in DAC which is excellent plus you can connect your phone by BT, I also have a Google Chromecast Audio (sadly now defunct) connected by optical connection so basically if you have something like Tidal you can feed the source into the DAC on the amp. It's excellent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Cheers, interested to hear your thoughts.
    All set up now only used the CD player but sounds excellent for what it is I’m still deciding weather to fill the speaker stands with sand

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    All set up now only used the CD player but sounds excellent for what it is I’m still deciding weather to fill the speaker stands with sand
    It is worth doing. There is an element of coupling the bass driver with the stand.
    I partially fill mine with iron filings about a third full. Block paving sand is good too but make sure it's dry.
    If you totally fill it you can cancel some bass notes out. Liken it to filling a bottle with water and blowing across the top, you can alter the pitch.
    Also use the spikes if you have them, they won't mark the carpet or if you have wooden floors, rest the spikes on some 1p coins.

It is worth doing. There is an element of coupling the bass driver with the stand.
    I partially fill mine with iron filings about a third full. Block paving sand is good too but make sure it's dry.
    If you totally fill it you can cancel some bass notes out. Liken it to filling a bottle with water and blowing across the top, you can alter the pitch.
    Also use the spikes if you have them, they won't mark the carpet or if you have wooden floors, rest the spikes on some 1p coins.
    Might iron filings affect the magnets (or cone?)?

Craftsman
    Not to my knowledge. Not what you asked but there is a difference in terminology - horizontal Vs vertical biamping. 20-25 years ago (when I was last in the audiophile rabbit hole!), most people who were biamping were using 2 stereo power amps. Vertical biamping was where one amp drove one speaker and the other amp drove the other speaker. Horizontal was where one amp drove the bass drivers of the 2 speakers and one amp drove the tweeters/mids. There were different theories about which was better!

My friends and I did a test on my kit (marantz cd player, nakamichi preamp, 2 x rotel stereo power amps, hybrid electrostatic speakers, VDH speaker cables). It is just one data point but we were all in agreement on the results:
    1. Biwiring made no difference to the sound
    2. Biamping definitely sounded better - particularly on larger scale music
    3. We could tell no difference in sound between Horizontal and Vertical biamping

The most startling thing was how much of a difference just removing, cleaning and replacing the contacts made!

Fortunately, my days of audiophilia nervosa are well behind me and all my listening is via Spotify into a Marantz receiver and wall mounted Artcoustic speakers now...

I've still got the old Marantz CD player in the loft just in case the bug bites me again!

Master
    I’ve 3/4 filled mine with sand and I’ve got spikes going into the carpet not sure I can hear much difference though hasn’t cost anything as I had a bag of sand in the garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    My friends and I did a test on my kit (marantz cd player, nakamichi preamp, 2 x rotel stereo power amps, hybrid electrostatic speakers, VDH speaker cables). It is just one data point but we were all in agreement on the results:
    1. Biwiring made no difference to the sound
    2. Biamping definitely sounded better - particularly on larger scale music
    3. We could tell no difference in sound between Horizontal and Vertical biamping.
    Ah. Ok.

I didn't know the terms until you just described them, but I assumed that horizontal biamping would make more sense as then at least each amp would be driving a stereo pair of units and would allow more control of treble and bass independently.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 6th July 2020 at 21:45.

Master
    If it’s any frame of reference i’m running a pristine Naim Nait 5si I got for a very good price on eBay and a project debut audiophile turntable. Both of those cost me about £750 total.