closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Ffi questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    LP12s are actually good turntables but the problem is that setting them up and maintaining them is a complex and difficult job. Hence the vast majority of the things are performing well below their best.

I have a Garrard 401 which is plain bomb proof and sounds better than a LP12 and it just needs a drop of oil once every 5 or so years. There is a lot to be said for going for a plug in and play TT. Most Regas come under this heading.
    The LP12 needs a special jig to set the adjustment up and you really need to be Linn trained to do it correctly from dressing wires to suspension adjustments.
    There are plenty of 'non faff' turntables out there, like Rega, Thorens, Roksan....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    The LP12 needs a special jig to set the adjustment up and you really need to be Linn trained to do it correctly from dressing wires to suspension adjustments.
    There are plenty of 'non faff' turntables out there, like Rega, Thorens, Roksan....
    I want a "non faff" turntable...so that rules that one out then!

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Rega Planar 9. It's the jargon, They are rare. Other good brands are Notts Analogue, some Thorens, and some others. Join a hi-fi forum (and just smile and nod at the LP12 enthusiasts).
    Joined a hi-fi forum just now...God knows why I didnt think of that!

Cheers!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post

Cheers!
    And whatever you do, don't get sucked into the snake oil that are the bits of wire that join it together. Dealers like to call those bits of wire "interconnects" and tell you they are oxygen free, made from meteorite dust and rare llama hamstrings just to charge you £150 a metre.

Copper wire is copper wire which conducts electricity. Just stay away from cheap bellwire and you'll be OK. I tend to buy from people that supply recording studios .. https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-...le-Speaker.htm

Master
    2 core mains cable works as good as any high end speaker cable but curiously you can sometimes get QED 79 strand speaker cable for cheaper.

Interconnects , Amazon basics are totally fine . Don't waste your money on snake oil. If you want a fancy pants cable then you can always make one yourself.

Also ignore mains purifiers and similar garbage. Fancy power cables will make zero difference . We have fairly clean power in the UK anyway.

Biwiring is also nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    LP12s are actually good turntables but the problem is that setting them up and maintaining them is a complex and difficult job. Hence the vast majority of the things are performing well below their best.

I have a Garrard 401 which is plain bomb proof and sounds better than a LP12 and it just needs a drop of oil once every 5 or so years. There is a lot to be said for going for a plug in and play TT. Most Regas come under this heading.
    Even in top spec at >£25,000, the LP 12 is mid-fi at best. Not terrible, just awful vfm and bettered by cheaper offerings from Notts Analogue, SME and Rega to name but a few. And it's liable to go out of tune because of its rudimentary and ancient suspension design. A cheap basic-spec one for <£500 might make sense if you can fix and set it up it yourself, but don't start "upgrading" it. I learned the hard way.

Garrard 401 and 301 are both way better than any LP12 IMO.

Master
    I want a "non faff" turntable...so that rules that one out then!
    I have an RP3 that I got for my 21st birthday in 1985, it's as low faff as you can get I would say. In that time the only major attention it has need was a motor replacement which was an easy DIY job.

I'd look at second hand RP3 or similar if I were you, they haven't changed very much over the years in all honesty. Personally I think a turntable is a matter of basic engineering so if it's reasonably well put together it will be fine.

Cheers!
    The cable discussions are always well worth a look in. I'm in the "BS" camp, but both sides are usually entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    2 core mains cable works as good as any high end speaker cable but curiously you can sometimes get QED 79 strand speaker cable for cheaper.

Interconnects , Amazon basics are totally fine . Don't waste your money on snake oil. If you want a fancy pants cable then you can always make one yourself.

Also ignore mains purifiers and similar garbage. Fancy power cables will make zero difference . We have fairly clean power in the UK anyway.

Sorry but I have to disagree with much you've said. 2 core mains cable isn't as good as decent speaker cable e.g. QED 42 strand with diallectric insulation.
    Good interconnects are very important too. It's possible to change sonic characteristics with a good cable. I used to make BBC cable interconnects from BBC cable bought from Canford audio. We demo'd them at the Bristol HiFi show and were inundated at our store in Darlington to make them.
    You do get to a certain point of little gain for a lot more money

The mains purifiers are also part of cleaning our 'dirty' mains. We could prove that in any customers home adding a purifier on and killing the noise.

I agree that Bi-Wiring is not so important subjectively, but can enhance sound slightly... Q Acoustics thinks so...

https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/blog/20...tion-benefits/

Craftsman
    Ah, now I beg to disagree. If you've got a high power system with decent bass drivers, those drivers will be drawing the vast majority of current coming out of the amplifier. High frequencies take miniscule amounts of power to produce in comparison.

Given that all cable has resistance over it's length, any high current surges (low thumping bass beats) will cause the voltage to drop at the speaker end as Ohms Law comes into effect. With a single pair of cables to the speaker cabinet, this will have the effect of dropping the voltage every time there is a bass beat. If there are high notes alongside that, then they will be muted slightly by the fall in voltage.

Cable is cheap (if you don't go mad) so in my opinion, if your speaker cabinets support bi-wiring, it's a cheap option to run two separate cables from the amp to the speakers. That way when the voltage at the speaker end sags on every bass beat, the other pair of cables feeding the top end don't have that volt drop thus keeping the mid/high range stuff up where it's meant to be in the mix.

Next up is bi-amping if your amp supports that. I have an Arcam AVR600 that has a spare pair of channels that can be used for a 7.1 system or biamped 5.1 which is how I use it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^Tbh, there is quite a lot of partisan twaddle being spouted here. But no matter whatsoever. Just enjoy what you hear. If it sounds crap to others, what does that matter? And vice versa.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    ^^^^^Tbh, there is quite a lot of partisan twaddle being spouted here. But no matter whatsoever. Just enjoy what you hear. If it sounds crap to others, what does that matter? And vice versa.
    I was an electronics engineer who spent nearly 20 years in the professional audio industry, both in manufacturing and installation/maintenance of studio and entertainment sound systems. I'll have to argue that Ohms Law is not "partisan twaddle" but most people are tone deaf anyway and after years of having to set bathtub curves on graphic equalisers because the customers thought it sounded better, I will agree that it's each to their own.

Even Pioneer used to do it with car audio in the 1970s and 1980s and Bose do it today. It's not about flat accurate replication of how tracks were recorded but how it sounds and is perceived by the listener. "Does it go to 11?" is pretty representative of end user behaviour.

You wouldn't buy a performance car and put crap petrol in it. If someone spends £1,000s on hifi, they may as well set it up the best they can before they start moving the knobs away from the centre detents.

I touched on this in an earlier post but Amazon presents cracking value for speaker wire.

Like many on here I have spent far more money than I should have over the years down this rabbit hole and I've had many many systems over those years.

I bought a decent roll of 4mm^2 OFC speaker cable with clear insulation for about £35 last year ('KabelDirekt' was the vendor).
    I bought a set of 'U-Green' gold plated Banana plugs, I think 16off plugs was about £20. So that was enough for 4 seperate speakers (on 2 different amps). I'm not convinced with Bi-Wiring, at least not on my systems.

Those cables look great and sound great. I cant see me spending more than the above on speaker cable again.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I was an electronics engineer who spent nearly 20 years in the professional audio industry, both in manufacturing and installation/maintenance of studio and entertainment sound systems. I'll have to argue that Ohms Law is not "partisan twaddle" but most people are tone deaf anyway and after years of having to set bathtub curves on graphic equalisers because the customers thought it sounded better, I will agree that it's each to their own.

Even Pioneer used to do it with car audio in the 1970s and 1980s and Bose do it today. It's not about flat accurate replication of how tracks were recorded but how it sounds and is perceived by the listener. "Does it go to 11?" is pretty representative of end user behaviour.

You wouldn't buy a performance car and put crap petrol in it. If someone spends £1,000s on hifi, they may as well set it up the best they can before they start moving the knobs away from the centre detents.
    I am on your side, believe me.
    Last edited by Skyman; 30th June 2020 at 18:28.

^^^^^Tbh, there is quite a lot of partisan twaddle being spouted here.
    Don't be so hard on yourself. That's what sustains the forum.

FWIW, I thought biwiring was worthwhile when I tried it.

As for mains purifiers, if Rod says he can tell the difference, I'm inclined to believe him considering his experience.

I'm quite cynical about interconnects though.

Master

I ran bi amps on my system the power amp did the bass and integrated amp ran the treble

Im on the fence regarding mains conditioning, I can see how it would help but I do think the modern equipment makes attempts to condition internally anyway.

But... I bought one of those relatively cheap Tacima conditioners (£30 ?) and it works well even if it just acts as a mains adapter and a surge protector.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I ran bi amps on my system the power amp did the bass and integrated amp ran the treble
    That’s like my system, Arcam A85/P85 amps into Monitor Audio silver 200 speakers, enough power to blow the walls down. The beauty of this system is how good it sounds at all volume levels, my lounge is approx 17’ x 12’ and the speakers work very well in the room at all levels, whether as background music or full- on ‘ listening’

Craftsman
    Don't confuse biamping with biwiring.

Grand Master
    Don't confuse biamping with biwiring.
    Definitely!........when I listened to a bi- amped system the difference was clear, everything about the sound was better. I was never convinced by simply biwiring from one amp, my ears couldn't detect any difference.

For the past 20 years I’ve stuck with bi- amped systems despite doing a bit of swapping and changing. I’ve had the Arcam amps for over 10 years and I will only change when one goes faulty, they don’t get much use so hopefully they’ll last a long time.

Master
    Biwiring is not the sane thing as biamping

Master

Dubbing Mixer for 4 years . BBC and Channel 4 factual at the time. Assistant Editor , VT operator Film compositor And currently I’ve been a Visual Effects Supervisor fir the last 10 years but hey who’s counting!

You won’t find ridiculous snake oil interconnects and speaker wire in any honestly professional studio.

The resistance issue I think you are talking about is completely irrelevant the the sort of runs and current feeding a set of speakers. Its not like its the national grid is it ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Im on the fence regarding mains conditioning, I can see how it would help but I do think the modern equipment makes attempts to condition internally anyway.

But... I bought one of those relatively cheap Tacima conditioners (£30 ?) and it works well even if it just acts as a mains adapter and a surge protector.
    Modern equipment rectifies and steps down the voltage to such an extent that fluctuations in the mains are irrelevant where it finally reaches the components. Its going from AC to DC just for starters..

Master
    Ah, now I beg to disagree. If you've got a high power system with decent bass drivers, those drivers will be drawing the vast majority of current coming out of the amplifier. High frequencies take miniscule amounts of power to produce in comparison.

Given that all cable has resistance over it's length, any high current surges (low thumping bass beats) will cause the voltage to drop at the speaker end as Ohms Law comes into effect. With a single pair of cables to the speaker cabinet, this will have the effect of dropping the voltage every time there is a bass beat. If there are high notes alongside that, then they will be muted slightly by the fall in voltage.

Cable is cheap (if you don't go mad) so in my opinion, if your speaker cabinets support bi-wiring, it's a cheap option to run two separate cables from the amp to the speakers. That way when the voltage at the speaker end sags on every bass beat, the other pair of cables feeding the top end don't have that volt drop thus keeping the mid/high range stuff up where it's meant to be in the mix.

Next up is bi-amping if your amp supports that. I have an Arcam AVR600 that has a spare pair of channels that can be used for a 7.1 system or biamped 5.1 which is how I use it.
    I doubt anyone would be able to tell biwiring vs single wiring In a blindtest. Running the signal down 4 sets of wires instead of two sets of wires and then a chunk of conductive metal performing as a crossover Is still the same circuit . The same signal is still hitting both the drivers feeding the low end and the high end . Biamping has merit but biwiring is nonsense.

Biwiring is nonsense.
    I've just realised I was biamping rather than biwiring - I thought biamping meant another amp. I was using some extra speaker channels on the same amp to power the tweeters and bass units separately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    That’s like my system, Arcam A85/P85 amps into Monitor Audio silver 200 speakers, enough power to blow the walls down. The beauty of this system is how good it sounds at all volume levels, my lounge is approx 17’ x 12’ and the speakers work very well in the room at all levels, whether as background music or full- on ‘ listening’
    That’s similar to mine I have an arcam a80 and p80 into b&w cm4 speakers sounded brilliant in my old house but my new house is Lounge is open plan And an odd shape so the speakers were sort of at the side of the sofa so it never sounded as good as I know it can it’s One reason I am selling it

HiFi

After two decades of one box convenient solutions I'm now back into the joys of budget HiFi, with a system built around by cherished Mike Creek designed Cambridge Audio ATAC3 amp & Mission 731 speakers on Atacama stands (sand filled 25 years ago).

I added an Edwards Audio Apprentice II turntable (with Little Bear T8 phono stage), Cambridge Audio Topaz CD10 CD player & DAB500 digital tuner and reclaimed the boxes of vinyl & CD's from the loft.

I've lately added an iPod dock for my trusty iPod Classic and a Philips Bluetooth receiver for streaming Spotify & Amazon Music.

I've spent about £500, enjoyment has been immense, especially when working from home, although Music Magpie has become a lunchtime vice, I've purchased hundred's of CD's I never realised I needed...

Master
    /\ excellent post and good answer to the OP instead of needlessly going off at a tangent on wether a cable is going to make a difference.

Master
    I looked at a SME turntable pre lockdown at my local HiFi emporium, £39k!,+ cartridge, I really was attracted by the engineering style rather than the sound. It’s all about personal choices, everybodies ears are different so if it sounds good to you that’s what to buy, get a few recommendations and audition them all, at home with if possible. Opinions are like erseholes, everybody has one, but doesn’t mean you should use theirs.

you can get a perfectly good pre owned setup for £700-1100 - after this you get very little (sound wise ) for a lot more money .
    dont be put off buying a a used amp without a phono stage as lot of turntables have a built in phonostage these days - the audio technica al-lp5 is a cracking turntable with a built in one.
    try and demo or listen to as many systems as you can, as already mentioned- your hearing goes down the pan from an early age so find something that sounds good to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I looked at a SME turntable pre lockdown at my local HiFi emporium, £39k!,+ cartridge, I really was attracted by the engineering style rather than the sound. It’s all about personal choices, everybodies ears are different so if it sounds good to you that’s what to buy, get a few recommendations and audition them all, at home with if possible. Opinions are like erseholes, everybody has one, but doesn’t mean you should use theirs.
    You can assess at turntable's neutrality by comparing the sound with a digital source of the same material. The SME is neutral, and that's always what I've been looking for in a hi-fi. "Coloured" turntables are widely available, neutral ones are not. Notts Analogue Dais is another neutral one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I've just realised I was biamping rather than biwiring - I thought biamping meant another amp. I was using some extra speaker channels on the same amp to power the tweeters and bass units separately.
    Assuming its seperate power amp stages behind each outputalbeit in one box (and not just one running in parallel like some older "two room" function amps) then its essentially "biamping".

Thanks again for all the info/advice..

Certainly given me plenty to think about!!

Im "toying" with the idea of buying a new Rega Planar 2 and a new either Rega Brio OR the Rega Lo amplifiers..........I have (well I will have shortly!) speakers, namely Bower and Wilkins CM1................

Im still undecided though, I mean Ive no aversion to buying second hand...Im just not sure what to look out for...seen plenty of amps. up for sale....I was just looking at a second hand" NAD C325BEE" ..this has no phono "plug"?!!!! A "stupid" question if I may please? If the amp. has no phono "plug", but the turntable has a built in amp. I "assume" I jsut plug the turntable into an "aux" plug on the amplifier?!!

Also...is the amp. I mentioned the NAD C325BEE any good? Or would it "suit" my speakers and "probably"! a rega Planar 2 turntable?

Cheers!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You can assess at turntable's neutrality by comparing the sound with a digital source of the same material. The SME is neutral, and that's always what I've been looking for in a hi-fi. "Coloured" turntables are widely available, neutral ones are not. Notts Analogue Dais is another neutral one.
    So ends the ad. I am trying not to smell a certain bias.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Well said.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for all the info/advice..

Certainly given me plenty to think about!!

Im "toying" with the idea of buying a new Rega Planar 2 and a new either Rega Brio OR the Rega Lo amplifiers..........I have (well I will have shortly!) speakers, namely Bower and Wilkins CM1................

Im still undecided though, I mean Ive no aversion to buying second hand...Im just not sure what to look out for...seen plenty of amps. up for sale....I was just looking at a second hand" NAD C325BEE" ..this has no phono "plug"?!!!! A "stupid" question if I may please? If the amp. has no phono "plug", but the turntable has a built in amp. I "assume" I jsut plug the turntable into an "aux" plug on the amplifier?!!

Also...is the amp. I mentioned the NAD C325BEE any good? Or would it "suit" my speakers and "probably"! a rega Planar 2 turntable?

Cheers!
    Most older amps will have a phono stage…. I believe it’s to do with the line volume…

You can get a pre amp which means it can go in the aux line in…. (Part with £50 ish)

But simply get an amp with a phono stage built in and it’s job done

Get onto eBay and search Rega 2 or 3…. And search through for one that looks ok…. You’ll do better second hand id say…

Plenty of second hand equipment out there…. Put a WTB on here too maybe

Amp wise there are loads of decent options…
    Last edited by Wolfie; 1st July 2020 at 20:36.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And why make a digital source the reference for an analogue one? Stupidity.

I doubt anyone would be able to tell biwiring vs single wiring In a blindtest. Running the signal down 4 sets of wires instead of two sets of wires and then a chunk of conductive metal performing as a crossover Is still the same circuit . The same signal is still hitting both the drivers feeding the low end and the high end . Biamping has merit but biwiring is nonsense.
    The circuit is quite different for a 2-way (or more) loudspeaker array bi-wired vs. single when the cross-over can be split. Draw out the Thevenin equivalent & you'll see the paths of the return currents back to the source differ.
    Bi-wirng can make a measurable difference, but, I have access to an anechoic chamber & several 100k of test apparatus from B&K, Klippel & AP.
    A circuit isn't 2 sets of wires either, it's one set; send & return through the actuator, hence, a circuit.

If you can hear the difference between the 2 schemes is another matter, you are firm that you personally cannot I'm not going to argue with you.
    The benefit does definitely exist ,however, it's a marginal gain & relatively poor value for money. Therefore , I'd recommend a single run of decent quality cable over a bi-wired run using poor quality cable.

A large bass driver will have an impedance curve that typically dips to 4 ohms or (much)less. Meaning >6A demand for 150W. As little as 0.25 Ohm in this circuit from the cable + interconnects will equate to a loss of 9Watts just heating up the run, cabling does make a difference. The terminations are equally important, why high-end consumer doesn't use something fit for purpose e.g. Neutrik speakon over 4mm banana plugs is one of life's mysteries.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Crikey.

Someone sound the TZ Truth Klaxon.

It's not often we hear proof that dispels a myth.

From now on, when someone trashes speaker cable and connections, let them be referred to the above post.

So ends the ad. I am trying not to smell a certain bias.
    Stick with the LP 12 fella, it's the "most musical" turntable available to you. ;0

And why make a digital source the reference for an analogue one? Stupidity.
    Any decent digital source these days is neutral. I can't see anything wrong with using that as a reference because the specs are so much better than vinyl.

If you prefer listening to an audibly distorted signal, that's another matter.

Lots of value in finding good decent older hifi equipment and adapting with adding Bluetooth and maybe a separate DAC stage. This would be decent addition for example https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/ifi-zen-blue

Master
    Be careful if considering used turntables - cartridge stylus often knackered. Turntables themselves should be fine though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Be careful if considering used turntables - cartridge stylus often knackered. Turntables themselves should be fine though.
    You should always change the cartridge when buying a TT. Very risky not to do so.

Master
    That’s similar to mine I have an arcam a80 and p80 into b&w cm4 speakers sounded brilliant in my old house but my new house is Lounge is open plan And an odd shape so the speakers were sort of at the side of the sofa so it never sounded as good as I know it can it’s One reason I am selling it
    Another Arcam owner here. FMJ A38/P38 bi amped (and bi wired) through B&W CM9s - it sounds fantastic and vastly over powered for what I need! Back to the OP, my second system comprises of B&W CM1s and an all in one Marantz unit, considering the difference in cost to my main system it sounds excellent. The CM1 is a very good speaker. I use an Arcam mini blink on both systems to stream Spotify, sounds really good to my ears and cheap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    Another Arcam owner here. FMJ A38/P38 bi amped (and bi wired) through B&W CM9s - it sounds fantastic and vastly over powered for what I need! Back to the OP, my second system comprises of B&W CM1s and an all in one Marantz unit, considering the difference in cost to my main system it sounds excellent. The CM1 is a very good speaker. I use an Arcam mini blink on both systems to stream Spotify, sounds really good to my ears and cheap.
    Mines all gone now although it sounded great it was black and a pain in the arse to keep clean always looked dusty and got fed up with having rows with the wife about it I’ve replaced it with Small Yamaha all in one Crxn470d Unit with some b&w 607 speakers and b&w speaker stands which should sound good and should keep her happy

Grand Master
    Just revisited this thread, its reminded me of a very strange dream I had last night ( following the TZ virtual GTG), I dreamed that my Thorens turntable caught fire! Weird.

Master
    Just revisited this thread, its reminded me of a very strange dream I had last night ( following the TZ virtual GTG), I dreamed that my Thorens turntable caught fire! Weird.
    No dream - that’s a nightmare!

Wasn't Magirus there to put it out Paul?😁

Craftsman
    I’ve replaced it with Small Yamaha all in one Crxn470d Unit with some b&w 607 speakers and b&w speaker stands which should sound good and should keep her happy
    Can I ask how you are getting on with the new setup?
    I'm looking for something similar but ideally made in the UK.