closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BLADE by Heineken

Journeyman

BLADE by Heineken

So, i purchased this couple months back, its designed for commercial use, hotels, restaurants etc.

But i decided to buy one for my home, and all i can say is WOW the freshness and quality of the beer is second to none, much better than pubs, and you will not want to drink another can or bottle again.

Ice cold fresh draught beer at home, what could be better.

Anyone else got one?

https://uk.blade.shop/birra-moretti-...al-bundle.html

Master
    No, but my interest is piqued!

I’d be a bit concerned that if Blade ceased to be, that you wouldn’t be able to get refills though, otherwise looks like a good system?

It’s made me want a cold beer now, and it’s too early in the morning...

Blog Entries
    My Son got me this for Father’s day

https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/the-sub

Very similar to the Blade so far so good it’s easy to set up and clean the beer range is good.

https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/c/sub...logCode=Beer_1

It came with 4 of these and must say the beer was great set up Sunday and finished by Weds.

https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/p/bee...m-blond-2l-keg

Tastes excellent from the machine my only reservation is i am not a Pub drinker so £4.00 a pint has no bearing in my life i am an 18 pack for £12- 15.00 so the refills are expensive IMO.
    Just bought my SinL one but in truth a tinny from the fridge suits me
    Last edited by mart broad; 26th June 2020 at 11:46.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Like the look of those. Could be dangerous though with that much beer on tap!! The Blade is certainly cheap drinking though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    How long does a keg last once installed in terms of the beer going bad not how quickly you can drink it all!

Master
    On the website it says beer is good for 30 days once opened/in the machine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    My Son got me this for Father’s day

https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/the-sub

Very similar to the Blade so far so good it’s easy to set up and clean the beer range is good.

https://www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/c/sub...logCode=Beer_1

With "2 litre SUB kegs", I'd spend most of my time changing the barrel!!

Craftsman
    What's involved with the cleaning of these, presumablybthey need flushing through after each keg?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    No, but my interest is piqued!

I’d be a bit concerned that if Blade ceased to be, that you wouldn’t be able to get refills though, otherwise looks like a good system?

It’s made me want a cold beer now, and it’s too early in the morning...
    Agree with everything in this reply.

It looks great, and a friend has a Sub as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, and it is nice to have cold beer on tap. However I can't get the man maths to work! My most local shop (One Stop) sells 3x 660ml bottles of Moretti for £5. Which works out £1.43 or so per pint. Blade refills are £2.09 per pint (+46%), and excludes the upfront cost of the machine.

That's the problem with these machines.

I would have thought the beer would be cheaper? I appreciate we are not comparing the exact same product, apart from the actual drink. Surely the cost of transporting/delivering a few larger kegs, and buying direct fro the brewer, should be cheaper than buying bottles/cans with a middle man also taking a cut? If you want me to buy into your ecosystem the price needs to be cheaper, if not, at least closely comparable.

I am very jealous the OP has one though.

Master
    I had a Sub for a few years before I made my Guinness draft system. The Sub had a bigger range of beers than the Blade which is what I wanted. Beer is draft, not comparable to tins or bottles, but it’s still expensive for what it is. But that didn’t bother me, I wanted nice beer. minimal cleaning and no issues with the system whilst I had it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    What's involved with the cleaning of these, presumablybthey need flushing through after each keg?

The Sub ( and I think the Blade too ) - the “kegs” come with a new beer line for each application, so there’s nothing to clean. You throw away the line when the kegs done

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    The Sub ( and I think the Blade too ) - the “kegs” come with a new beer line for each application, so there’s nothing to clean. You throw away the line when the kegs done
    Ah, that's nice and easy then. No faffing about.

Master
    If you have the room then this looks better vfm and will give a wider selection of beers.

https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-app...kaAtn9EALw_wcB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    The “ keg or torp” has its own line which is disposed of on emptying so cleaning is minimal

Journeyman
    Each Keg comes with its own fresh line so no cleaning or maintenance is needed at all.

As Blade is made by Heineken i can't see them stop making or doing them anytime soon, they will just keep expanding and bringing new beers.

Each keg is 14 pints, and cost about £28 with the VAT so not bad price per pint considering the quality, as i say, no pub i have been to is as nice and you don't even want to look at cans when you have this lol.

Great purchase and highly recommended.

The “ keg or torp” has its own line which is disposed of on emptying so cleaning is minimal

Few blog posts tell me these can be refilled. I find the machine excellent for larger, but they did a few pale ales/ipa recently and I found they were way to foamy for the machine.

Master
    I got the Sub at the start of lockdown. Best thing I've bought this year. Tried a few different lagers but the Heineken has been my favourite so far. It can be more expensive but it's so much nicer than drinking out of cans/bottles so I don't mind paying the extra. So easy to use and the temp of the pint is perfect👍

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Few blog posts tell me these can be refilled. I find the machine excellent for larger, but they did a few pale ales/ipa recently and I found they were way to foamy for the machine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=refi...obile&ie=UTF-8

Going to give it a try just taken the lines out of two and cleaned the line when herself gets home will get the inflator and pump some air in and go from there, watch this space.

Blog Entries
    Oh dear, shouldn't have opened this thread.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Oh dear, shouldn't have opened this thread.
    You and me both! :-)

Blog Entries
    Ok guys update did a refill quite easy but is it worth the effort? IMO no in fact the whole thing is not worth the effort
    1 the machine is expensive
    2 the kegs/ torps are expensive for 2 ltrs need to be ordered incur a postage charge unless you buy 8 at a time they take up room need to be chilled for 8 hrs prior to insertion and the sub takes for ever to chill so if you fancy a quick pint at home look for a window in your diary.
    3 it takes up a lot of counter space
    Some of the beers on offer are very nice however and if you could buy in a supermarket it would make a difference.

Quite honestly as a gift from my Son it will stay but otherwise it would be on the Bay
    Last edited by mart broad; 26th June 2020 at 20:41.

Ok guys update did a refill quite easy but is it worth the effort? IMO no in fact the whole thing is not worth the effort
    2 the kegs/ torps are expensive for 2 ltrs need to be ordered incur a postage charge unless you buy 8 at a time they take up room need to be chilled for 8 hrs prior to insertion and the sub takes for ever to chill so if you fancy a quick pint at home look for a window in your diary.
    Some of the beers on offer are very nice however and if you could buy in a supermarket it would make a difference.

Quite honestly as a gift from my Son it will stay but otherwise it would be on the Bay
    Yeah, looked like a bit of a faff. I’d agree the beer is expensive. From their Facebook page I think they rammed the price up when the lock down started. I tend to keep a torp in the fridge and it takes about 20 minutes to “go green” or about 5 minutes of the machine was in already.

I’ll see if the beer price drops when the pubs reopen. Prefer my bad pump :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I got the Sub at the start of lockdown. Best thing I've bought this year. Tried a few different lagers but the Heineken has been my favourite so far. It can be more expensive but it's so much nicer than drinking out of cans/bottles so I don't mind paying the extra. So easy to use and the temp of the pint is perfect👍
    Try the Pelforth - it’s amazing. The Tiger is also really good

This is why I'm sticking with Tesco Everyday lager - 35p a can and sure the first seven or eight are rough but it gets smoother from there..

Master
    Blog Entries
    The other benefit of these machines is that you get the original beer. So its the Moretti from Italy not the UK brewed substitute, which to me tastes nowhere near as good. Yes its more expensive but the beer is better not only in being a near perfect serve but also in origin.

2L kegs? So less than 4 pints?

Erm I’d be changing them quite frequently!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post

I have one too the beer is great if you can get them supply has been short in lock down. I think the beer is much better than a pub. Really nice but it’s not cheap. To try and limit the amount I drink I have a 2 day rule. Nice and cold

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post

I do and i did

I do and i did
    Lols 😂

Craftsman
    I would get one but 8l is just too for 30 days and 2l is just too little. If only there was a 4l option available

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been looking into these the last few weeks as a few blokes I work with have Blades and perfect Draft machines. Not many have Subs as they don't hold that much and are relatively expensive. All of them say how good the beer is and via the beer wulf site you get tokens for keg return that turn into discounts for future refills. My issue with these at present is the high initial cost of either the Blade or Perfect draft machine and the price per pint which on perfect draft is around £1.80 - £2 ish depending on which beer you get. There has been recent price rises as well and stock is low due to the lockdown. Apparently they suffer with getting the kegs down to temperature in anything over 25C. The Blade doesn't have a lot of choice in the Uk but it is possible to get more from europe at about the same price though I don't know if this will change after brexit. The Perfect draft machine has a lot more choice of beers. There are some groups on facebook with loads of information on them. As I say its really the initial cost outlay and relative high price per pint that is putting me off at present

Edit - Got my websites mixed up. The perfect draft machine is on Beerhawk not beerwulf.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/perfect-d.../perfect-draft

A mate of mine has just ordered 3 kegs from here and with his points and money back on empties its cost him the grand total of £3.49!
    Last edited by subseastu; 27th June 2020 at 06:52. Reason: updated

Master

I got my sub for £99 delivered which included 4 x Heineken torps which I didn't think was bad.
    I always buy 8 torps so get free postage and have a couple in the fridge so they don't take long to cool once placed in the Sub. Also bought the compact one which I don't think is very big, but I guess they're not for everyone😁 Still worth it for me as the pint is so much better than a bottle or can. Shame the Mr's likes it as it means my stocks deplete quite rapidly. As mentioned a 4ltr one would be great!

Craftsman
    I have had a Perfect Draft over 12 months now and love it.
    Plenty of choice of kegs which hold about 10.5 pints.
    Prices have gone up recently but with discount, keg returns and other promotions for a nice draft beer at 3° it doesn't work out too bad.
    Would not be without mine

Master

Perfect Draft

I've had a Perfect Draft machine for a few years now - and it's been excellent.

It's not an alternative to cheap cans or bottles... but IMV the quality is so much better... especially as the beers are brewed in the country of origin.
    When you take into account the various discounts, keg return deposits & loyalty points, the price per pint isn't so bad.

Someone on the FB Group actually did a spreadsheet... not if I can get the image to upload... but basically the prices work out from £1.81 per pint for Becks to £2.73 for Leffe Rituel [9%]... not including initial dispenser cost...

perfect_draft_cost2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    This is why I'm sticking with Tesco Everyday lager - 35p a can and sure the first seven or eight are rough but it gets smoother from there..
    Ha ha ha. Gem

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    If you have the room then this looks better vfm and will give a wider selection of beers.

https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-app...kaAtn9EALw_wcB
    Looks interesting! Also there are quite a few home made versions on You Tube for the keen DIYers among us!

Looks interesting! Also there are quite a few home made versions on You Tube for the keen DIYers among us!
    Indeed. But if the shelf life of a keg is 30 days, it tends to up the ante a bit :D
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Indeed. But if the shelf life of a keg is 30 days, it tends to up the ante a bit :D
    50ltr keg is ~£100-130 type an location dependant could be as low as £1.15 per pint plus gas.

I believe the unpressurised kegs last longer than the beer keg/blade offerings and are often also available in smaller 20-30ltr mini kegs.

SJ: only 3pints a day...

Master
    I have 3 different subs and they have all gone back for repair. Dreadful system to be honest.

Subs are limited for choice, far too expensive, always get way too much head (at least with the first and last couple), 2 of them wouldn’t stop pouring and ended up with beer everywhere.

In the end the only thing it does is keep beer cold which is easier and cheaper with a fridge!
    All three are going in the bin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    We built a little pub during lock down, Blade was one of the first things we added.

Fridays Delivery of Morretti and Heniken, Tiger beer was out of stock sadly.

Blade for me gives a better pint then the pub, real quality.
    Last edited by thfccambs; 28th June 2020 at 11:36.

Master
    I’ve got two subs and have to agree with other comments in that while they are decent the kegs aren’t big enough and the first one you pour is always a nightmare. Also you have to wait for them to get to temperature (see the green light) means that you are constantly waiting for them to get to temperature if you haven't pre-chilled the torps

That said for the money I think I paid £119 and £79 for the compact Version it’s more of a novelty than anything else though I do like the desperados

Last edited by R0bertb00th; 1st July 2020 at 15:57.

Had a pint of Heineken 0,0 at the football many months back and it was served out of the blade, it was decent. Had no idea they could be purchased for home use. Seems I’ve wasted lockdown.

Just ordered a bundle with Moretti and threw in a 0,0 keg too for when the liver needs a rest.

Excited!

Craftsman
    These threads are dangerous, time to count the pennies...

Was the below comment relating to the Blade Kegs? Only ask as on the Moretti page, it says 'brewed under the supervision of Heineken UK' and on the drinksshop website it is 'brewed in the UK by Heineken'?

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    The other benefit of these machines is that you get the original beer. So its the Moretti from Italy not the UK brewed substitute, which to me tastes nowhere near as good. Yes its more expensive but the beer is better not only in being a near perfect serve but also in origin.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    These threads are dangerous, time to count the pennies...

Was the below comment relating to the Blade Kegs? Only ask as on the Moretti page, it says 'brewed under the supervision of Heineken UK' and on the drinksshop website it is 'brewed in the UK by Heineken'?
    It was the sub rather than blade, but suprised they arent the same

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman

For anyone who wants to try some other Kegs.

https://www.beerbottle.eu/en/produkt-kategorie/blade/

Just put an order in.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    For anyone who wants to try some other Kegs.

https://www.beerbottle.eu/en/produkt-kategorie/blade/

Just put an order in.
    Need to try that Gosser Radler

Arrived in a couple of days. A bit lively so far, but decent.

Blog Entries
    Job done , just another 63 pints to get through .

Ordered Tuesday delivery on Thursday, ready to go Friday 

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    We built a little pub during lock down, Blade was one of the first things we added.

Fridays Delivery of Morretti and Heniken, Tiger beer was out of stock sadly.

Blade for me gives a better pint then the pub, real quality.
    i have had a bar built in my house too. What size is the gap that your blade sits in please?

It’s been here for just over 24 hours and I’ve now got the technique of the perfect pour.

I’m a quarter of a keg in now and it’s superb, rivalling a pub pint and knocking the socks of cans and bottles.

Highly recommended.