closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question for the forum - Tudor BB GMT date issue

Craftsman

Question for the forum - Tudor BB GMT date issue

Hi All,

I was hoping to ask the forum's advice on my Tudor BB GMT which I bought last year. There seems to be an issue with the date display which doesn't seem to be updating properly. It seems stuck halfway between.

I've seen posts on this forum about there being an issue with the BB GMT date function so I wanted to ask - is what I'm seeing the same issue? And what are Tudor like when it comes to fixing these issues?

I'd appreciate any input you've got on this.

Thanks very much

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Hi, unfortunately this is a very common problem with this movement and the watch will need to be returned to an AD to be worked on by Tudor which could take some time in the present climate.

Seems to be a real hit and miss problem. I owned one (admittedly a later model bought once the issue was known about and presumably solved at manufacture) and it was flawless.

Lots of reports of this and some even recurring after going back for rectification. Had a mate who had this problem...ended up sending it back to Tudor which obviously takes time but he did manage to negotiate a free leather strap and deployant out of it.

Does anyone know the root cause of the issue? I'd heard it was a lubrication issue?

Received mine back from Tudor yesterday, my AD told me that it’s had a new movement. She told me that Tudor have stopped trying to repair the watches affected by this issue and are just swapping the movements over for a new one. Fingers crossed it doesn’t return!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Does anyone know the root cause of the issue? I'd heard it was a lubrication issue?
    That's the official story, and no one believes it.

Too many examples of multiple attempts at fixing these.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    That's the official story, and no one believes it.

Too many examples of multiple attempts at fixing these.
    This, no way can lack of or over lubrication cause an issue of the scale. It is a design flaw. I also got mine back last week due to the same issue. Personally it doesn’t bother me as that’s what warranty is for.

Think the affected watches, unrepaired, will become collectable if only as part of the Rolex/Tudor history.

Makes the teeth itch of anyone hung up on function at all sakes when it happens, yet really makes no practical difference to the watch as a useful timepiece in 99.9% of situations.

On my 2nd, which has so far been fine. My first glitches once. Neither are really compromised; I should have kept the original as it's way more interesting.

Great watch, whatever, an no one died because of a sticky date wheel.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Mine is still away for repair. Bought Dec 18, date issue occured Jan 20. Sent back day it happened. Returned March 16th.
    Winding didn't work, flet like crunching gears.
    The dial looked like a fake. The lume was the worst I have ever seen on a supposed new movement/dial. Like an amateur had tried to re lume it.
    Why? I have no idea. There was nothing wrong with the original dial. So if they replaced the movement, why not just use the original dial?
    If the movement and dial are being replaced...QC has completely been thrown out of the window. Check very carefully when you pick up. Put a lupe on the dial.

The AD were pretty appalled.

Have to say don't have a great deal of faith in Tudor at the moment. I'll give them a second chance. Watch never left the AD because of lockdown. They closed that Saturday.....so who knows when I might see it again.

Resigned myself to Jan 2021!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

No way I would touch one of these, if you look on the Tudor Facebook group it is still occurring with recently purchased watches. A clear design fault airbrushed away by Tudor. An AD I spoke with claimed to be unaware of any widespread issues

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    No way I would touch one of these, if you look on the Tudor Facebook group it is still occurring with recently purchased watches. A clear design fault airbrushed away by Tudor. An AD I spoke with claimed to be unaware of any widespread issues
    It would be good if Tudor just owned up and made it clear from when the issue will no longer happen. ‘New’ watches could still contain the old movement depending on when they were made. Rumour is Tudor have amended the movement (obviously) as it was clearly faulty and returned watches get the new movements. What is unclear is what cereal number onwards for new watches have the new movement. Mine went back before lock down and I have it again.

The issue with the FB group is for many Tudor is their first major watch purchase. What people don’t realise is that just because something is expensive it doesn’t mean it won’t have issues. It has a warranty. Tudor repair them. It’s a lot of winging and griping about something that will be fixed free of charge by Tudor.

God help us all if these people buy a luxury car and heaven forbid it breaks!

If Tudor change the movement do they reissue the paperwork and guarantee etc with the new serial number on it, otherwise the watch and paperwork won't match - which is not good if you later try to sell the watch.

Or am I being a dumb ass and the serial number is on the case and therefore no issue?

Never owned a Tudor so asking for a friend

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If Tudor change the movement do they reissue the paperwork and guarantee etc with the new serial number on it, otherwise the watch and paperwork won't match - which is not good if you later try to sell the watch.

Or am I being a dumb ass and the serial number is on the case and therefore no issue?

Never owned a Tudor so asking for a friend
    Case. I don’t believe the movement has a serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Thanks, good that it isn't really an issue then. Imagine the fun if you tried to sell a watch and nothing matched.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Thanks, good that it isn't really an issue then. Imagine the fun if you tried to sell a watch and nothing matched.
    Indeed. That would be a nightmare!

According to Tudor's own website, the MT5652 movement is COSC certified. That would suggest that the movement has an identifying serial number.
    ______

​Jim.

It would be good if Tudor just owned up and made it clear from when the issue will no longer happen. ‘New’ watches could still contain the old movement depending on when they were made. Rumour is Tudor have amended the movement (obviously) as it was clearly faulty and returned watches get the new movements. What is unclear is what cereal number onwards for new watches have the new movement. Mine went back before lock down and I have it again.
    I’m interested in getting a Tudor GMT, have recent/new ones still got the date issue? I assumed they’d fixed it so a brand new one would be ok. If that’s not the case it does put me off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I’m interested in getting a Tudor GMT, have recent/new ones still got the date issue? I assumed they’d fixed it so a brand new one would be ok. If that’s not the case it does put me off.
    My assumption is they have but it would depend on how long the watch has been with the AD. Tudor need to release a statement saying from what cereal number there is no longer an issue.

Personally it didn’t put me off. Mine failed just before lock down. I have had it back a week.

Master
    You did well getting yours back so soon! Mine went the week before deadline and they expect into store in two weeks time z

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I’ve had two BB GMT and one BB58. My first BB GMT was bought shortly after release from an AD. it had no sticky date issue but had strange smears under the crystal. I sent it back to be sorted. The second BB GMT (I sold my first and had remorse so bought one pre-owned) had the sticky date issue. Off it went to St James’s for a warranty repair. I was told by the technician that it needed a new module and that this was a well known manufacturing issue. It came back 3 months later in good working order. In January this year I bought a BB 58 from an AD and within a month the lume pip fell out. I’m not the kind of person who bashes and crashes around with my watches, so I have to say from my experience 100% of my Tudors have had quality control issues. Poor form.

Craftsman
    I’m surprised there was no formal recall of the BB GMT for those with the date issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I’m surprised there was no formal recall of the BB GMT for those with the date issue.

That’s the biggest and reasonable gripe people have.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I’ve had two BB GMT and one BB58. My first BB GMT was bought shortly after release from an AD. it had no sticky date issue but had strange smears under the crystal. I sent it back to be sorted. The second BB GMT (I sold my first and had remorse so bought one pre-owned) had the sticky date issue. Off it went to St James’s for a warranty repair. I was told by the technician that it needed a new module and that this was a well known manufacturing issue. It came back 3 months later in good working order. In January this year I bought a BB 58 from an AD and within a month the lume pip fell out. I’m not the kind of person who bashes and crashes around with my watches, so I have to say from my experience 100% of my Tudors have had quality control issues. Poor form.

I honestly think you've just been really unlucky. I've had 3 Tudors including the GMT all with no problem. One of the main advantages with Tudor is the customer service and in my experience, the Rolex customer service is second to none...which you get at an astonishingly good price if out of warranty. I paid £214 for a BB service. Omega's equivalent service price is over double this.

With the number of watches churned out at a factory, all manufacturers have instances like this...it's how they put them right that counts.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys for all the input and information. I moved the date by resetting it via the crown and now it's displayed in the right place. If the issue happens again, I'll take it back to the AD.

This Tudor is my first luxury watch, so I appreciate your input on it. It's a shame in a way because I bought it based on all the positive reviews when the model was launched.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    Thanks guys for all the input and information. I moved the date by resetting it via the crown and now it's displayed in the right place. If the issue happens again, I'll take it back to the AD.

This Tudor is my first luxury watch, so I appreciate your input on it. It's a shame in a way because I bought it based on all the positive reviews when the model was launched.

I wouldn’t wait. It will happen again. The movement will be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Pupp View Post
    Think the affected watches, unrepaired, will become collectable if only as part of the Rolex/Tudor history.
    I've heard of error dials being collectable but error movements which aren't fit for purpose and are a total balls up? You'd have to be quite desperate to want to collect that.

I wouldn’t wait. It will happen again. The movement will be replaced.
    Aye. Get rid.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I've heard of error dials being collectable but error movements which aren't fit for purpose and are a total balls up? You'd have to be quite desperate to want to collect that.
    Panerai Brooklyn Bridge fiasco.

Craftsman
    I bought mine in December 18 and it lasted three entire weeks before going back.

Rolex had it for four months. When it came back in April 19 it had an entire new movement.

Fast forward to Feb 20 and the same issue, so in it went. I had to give them everything (boxes, spare links, warranty card etc etc) and I got a brand new watch last Monday - they now come with 5 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    I bought mine in December 18 and it lasted three entire weeks before going back.

Rolex had it for four months. When it came back in April 19 it had an entire new movement.

Fast forward to Feb 20 and the same issue, so in it went. I had to give them everything (boxes, spare links, warranty card etc etc) and I got a brand new watch last Monday - they now come with 5 year warranty.

Did you deal with them via your AD or direct?

Craftsman
    First time I sent it back via the AD but ended up speaking to Rolex directly as I was getting contradictory messages each time I chased it up.

Rolex HQ isn’t too far from me so when it happened again, I called them and ended up dropping it into them personally.

The new replacement watch was sent to my local AD and I collected it from them last week.

First time I sent it back via the AD but ended up speaking to Rolex directly as I was getting contradictory messages each time I chased it up.

Rolex HQ isn’t too far from me so when it happened again, I called them and ended up dropping it into them personally.

The new replacement watch was sent to my local AD and I collected it from them last week.

Thanks. I’m hoping to get one later this year, hope your new one doesn’t have any more issues.

This is the reason I would never consider one of these watches, the quality is below par!

Master

For those who received theirs before the warranty extension I wonder what the chances would be of this issue being resolved by Tudor out of warranty?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    No idea as it doesn’t seem they’re repairing any more, just replacing.

Master
    No idea as it doesn’t seem they’re repairing any more, just replacing.

They repaired mine. Got it back 2 weeks ago.

Mine was one of the first delivered in the UK, never had a problem.
    Lovely watch

Apprentice
    I had the problem with the date moving forward 2 days at a time. Watch was bought in December 19. Problem started in May 20. Took it in to the AD. Just received it back and been told that ‘the lever’ was replaced. No new movement in my case it would seem. AD has extended the warranty until June 25 and offered 50% off the bracelet (watch is currently on the leather strap).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broc72 View Post
    I had the problem with the date moving forward 2 days at a time. Watch was bought in December 19. Problem started in May 20. Took it in to the AD. Just received it back and been told that ‘the lever’ was replaced. No new movement in my case it would seem. AD has extended the warranty until June 25 and offered 50% off the bracelet (watch is currently on the leather strap).
    That's a decent offer given bracelet is c. £650?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Mine came back last week. New movement, dial and other unspecified parts. Given it was a shocking job the first (repair) time I happy with replacement parts.

Didn't bother asking for anything from the AD... hardly their fault. Sure I will get a discount off the next watch.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Given that we tend to only see posts from those whose watches have had this issue, how many people haven’t? Mine was bought in December, no issues at all, so I’m presuming it was a new movement.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    That's a decent offer given bracelet is c. £650?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Definitely a decent offer. Can’t fault the way the AD has handled it. Just pointing out that Tudor mustn’t be replacing movements in all the returned watches as another poster thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    Given that we tend to only see posts from those whose watches have had this issue, how many people haven’t? Mine was bought in December, no issues at all, so I’m presuming it was a new movement.
    Me too, no issues at all and all my other watches have not been worn since getting it....

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Master
    My watch went off in March for a different issue and I still haven’t got it back yet. I have spoken to beaverbrooks a few times but they have said they have emailed them but no reply from Tudor.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    My watch went off in March for a different issue and I still haven’t got it back yet. I have spoken to beaverbrooks a few times but they have said they have emailed them but no reply from Tudor.

I had the same the first time mine went back - I ended up speaking to Rolex in West Malling directly.