closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Seiko 4004 lost screws

  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    6

    Seiko 4004 lost screws

    Hi, hope someone can help. I have managed to lose three screws from a recently acquired Seiko 4004 quartz (0903 movement). Two date dial plate screws (the tiny countersunk ones, on a 0903 they are quite long as they pass through two plates, Seiko ref 022 766) and the screw for the second setting lever. Looking for help here as the sinking feeling when that happens needs to be avoided.

    1) any tips on how not to lose screws. To be honest I am pretty sure I put them in the small brass basket and that they went into the ultrasonic cleaner. They just seemed to disappear. I suppose this is the most important as there is no problem of I can stop losing them.

    2) any sources of bulk lots of screws that might have the right screws for the 0903 date dial plate?

    3) Maybe someone has two spare 0903 date dial plate screws to help me with this project. The ones I can find from my spare screws are all too short. Luckily I found a suitable replacement for the second second lever from some Ricoh spares that I acquired.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Steve

  2. #2
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    13,490
    What a shame.... I think it will be a frustrating search for just the screws, I think I would bite the bullet and get a donor watch.
    I think the 4004 is the movement number and the other is the model number.
    Like this:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-Sq-...wAAOSw27Ze1gEI

    EDIT... My mistake, you're right, the 4004 is the series, not the movement, I still think a donor watch is your best bet, you will get a casebook then too.
    Last edited by JasonM; 26th June 2020 at 09:13.

  3. #3
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    18,707
    Thereís only one reason why you lose screws, itís because you arenít being careful enough. Your work bench needs to be free of clutter, the lighting needs to be good, but above all you need to be v. careful. The screws youíve list will be either on the floor or in the bottom if a cleaning jar, they haven't vanished into thin air.

    Get a magnet, then move it across your floor ensuring you donít miss anywhere, you might find the screws will turn up.

    For non- magnetic parts lost on the floor, use a handkerchief fastened around a vacuum cleaner hose.

    None of this is rocket science, you need to develop the care and techniques and it doesnít happen overnight.

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    6
    Thanks guys for the help. I definitely do need to improve in this area, am I being too hard on myself or would you say it is normal to make these silly mistakes when starting out? I've only been pursuing this hobby for around 2 months. I do only like to make a mistake once if at all and then correct for it. A magnet will be my next purchase.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    18,707
    Small screws are easy to lose whilst handling in tweezers, sometimes its better to use rodico to pick them up. Tweezers need to be properly dressed, the points should meet properly and the end should be squared off. I use a fine diamond file plate for this. Get yourself a range of magnifiers, I favour the ones that clip onto glasses for general work but use the ones held in the eye socket for stronger magnification.

    Screwdrivers need to be in good condition, I buy replacement blades at around 50p each and swap them when they get chipped. It is possible to redress them, but usually I donít bother, I factor it into the overheads cost of each job.

    As for cleaning screws, its good practice to do so and its necessary in some cases. However, they can usually be cleaned using rodico to an acceptable level.

  6. #6
    Master Omegary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    8,648
    Don't be too hard on yourself Steve, it happens to the best of us. Double check your pea basket as finer screws often get caught in the mesh and empty and check your ultrasonic cleaner.

    I did a BHI course in March and one of other attendees had a magnet on a telescopic pole, which he used to great effect.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-T.../dp/B002R87PZQ

    Obviously don't go anywhere near a watch with it and demagnetise anything you manage to find. Oh and make sure the floor around your work area is clean and as clutter free as possible. If you can try and work on a flat floor covering like a bit of lino, floor tiles, laminated floor etc, it makes finding stuff a lot easier.

    As Paul said it's easy for screws to go flying into the ether, never to be seen again, from the tip of your tweezers. There one minute, gone the next! Dressing your tweezers properly cuts down this annoying phenomenon.

    Good luck.
    Gary

  7. #7
    What I have found also works for me apart from being clean and tidy and using quality tools was to make a 30mm raised surface with 5mm beading around it to catch any parts that may roll away.



  8. #8
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    6
    Thanks guys, some great advice there. I particularly like the raised beading idea. I think I am going to need to up my game and make a dedicated work area (throw out that bed in the spare room that never gets used). I can see it now, it will be my haven.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Master PhilipK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    3,464
    You need one of these:


    available from here:
    http://www.ofrei.com/page1129.html

  10. #10
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Don't be too hard on yourself Steve, it happens to the best of us. Double check your pea basket as finer screws often get caught in the mesh and empty and check your ultrasonic cleaner.

    I did a BHI course in March and one of other attendees had a magnet on a telescopic pole, which he used to great effect.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-T.../dp/B002R87PZQ

    Obviously don't go anywhere near a watch with it and demagnetise anything you manage to find. Oh and make sure the floor around your work area is clean and as clutter free as possible. If you can try and work on a flat floor covering like a bit of lino, floor tiles, laminated floor etc, it makes finding stuff a lot easier.

    As Paul said it's easy for screws to go flying into the ether, never to be seen again, from the tip of your tweezers. There one minute, gone the next! Dressing your tweezers properly cuts down this annoying phenomenon.

    Good luck.
    Gary
    My magnet arrived today and I managed to find one screw after searching for a few minutes. I would never have found it without the magnet. One down two to go. Although I did find some alternative screws already. Still bugs me that they're missing, I must be crazy.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Master johnbaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    sheffield,england
    Posts
    3,931

    Quote Originally Posted by steve1811uk View Post
    My magnet arrived today and I managed to find one screw after searching for a few minutes. I would never have found it without the magnet. One down two to go. Although I did find some alternative screws already. Still bugs me that they're missing, I must be crazy.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

    It shouldn't hurt a Qtz watch if the screw has picked up magnetism, Mechanical ones are a nightmare when the hairspring becomes magnetised!


    When I used to tinker, For seating small screws I used to touch one flat of the driver on to my tongue then touch it on to the screwhead, It's dead easy then to seat in the hole, Slide the griver back then screw it in, Then dry the screwhead and driver!!

    Bigger screws don't have enough surface tension to hold the screw!


    John

  12. #12
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    18,707
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    For seating small screws I used to touch one flat of the driver on to my tongue then touch it on to the screwhead, It's dead easy then to seat in the hole, Slide the griver back then screw it in, Then dry the screwhead and driver!!

    Bigger screws don't have enough surface tension to hold the screw!


    John
    Never thought of this! Every dayís a schoolday.

    Demagnetising small parts ( such as screws) is easy. Place the item in a small plastic bag, then use the demagnetiser on it......job done. A part thatís been found on the floor using the magnet will need this treatment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information