closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My X-33 handed over to an official Omega Service Center. Well that was the plan...

Blog Entries

My X-33 handed over to an official Omega Service Center. Well that was the plan...

After sending my Sinn EZM2 Hydro off to Sinn in Germany it is now time to turn to my other 'troubled' watch: the X-33 Speedmaster Skywalker. It stopped working a while back and replacing the battery didn't kick it into gear again. As someone here said: perhaps it needs a new module.

As suggested here, Wesselink en Vreeker in Alkmaar (40 kms north of Amsterdam) is the place to be - and is mentioned on Omega's website. But that didn't go according to plan...

I entered the shop and an apparently a nice bloke with a white Omega dust coat behind the counter. I showed him the watch and from there, the conversation went pear-shaped... He asked me: "What is this? Nothing I've ever seen. Is it an Omega?" I thought that he was making fun and loosely answered: "Well, according to the dial it is..." But he was serious about it. Turned the watch around saying "Is this some sort of Seamaster?" That was the moment I got annoyed: "No, it's a Speedmaster. Better known as the X-33, first generation."

I tried to turn the conversation saying: "...it didn't start after replacing the battery." He then replied with: "Well sometimes there are two batteries inside. Have you replaced both?" I told him that an X-33 has only one large battery inside and that a previous replacement 4 yrs ago was all it needed to get it up and running again.

His 'two batteries story' finished it for me: that didn't bode well. I then asked what he wanted to do with the watch. "We can have a look here or perhaps send it to Bruxelles, to Omega's NW Europe's service center." He reached for a paper bag and started writing down my name and phone number. He then asked: "Say again, what's the type? Sea... oh Speedmaster."

That was enough for me: I asked: "Can I have my watch back? I'm not certain that I'm at the right address for this job. You have no idea what's before you!" He handed me the watch and I walked out.

I sent Omega in Bienne an email and received a nice email back. The watch is on its way to Bienne as we speak. Heavily insured etc. Lead time: 8 - 10 weeks due to the summer holidays in Switzerland starting next week.
    Last edited by thieuster; 25th June 2020 at 16:53.

Blog Entries
    Wow. That sounds rubbish service. Little better than when I viewed an Apollo 8 edition Speedmaster in WoS pre-Covid and the ship assistant said, “feel free to shake it to wind it up - as you can see this model has a hidden rotor not to spoil the view of the special movement, that contains real moon rock on the dial”. Confused.com

I’m sure the Swiss need a holiday after being shutdown for three months ...

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    my other 'troubled' watch: the X-33 Speedmaster Skywalker
    [...]
    "No, it's a Speedmaster. Better known as the X-33, first generation."
    Err - isn't the Skywalker the third generation X-33?

If it is the 3rd generation (Skywalker) then mine has started playing up too - new battery has not made a difference. Great watch but not not impressed with the QC!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Wow. That sounds rubbish service. Little better than when I viewed an Apollo 8 edition Speedmaster in WoS pre-Covid and the ship assistant said, “feel free to shake it to wind it up - as you can see this model has a hidden rotor not to spoil the view of the special movement, that contains real moon rock on the dial”. Confused.com

I’m sure the Swiss need a holiday after being shutdown for three months ...
    You are kidding me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive told this one before, but I had a shop assistant repeatedly press the PloProf red bezel release button whilst looking at the dial waiting for something to happen.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    So is there an service center on Mars who can install a new module?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    You are kidding me

No

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    No
    That's just embarrassing. I've had a few similar experiences, though not as farcical, where it's clear the hired help just don't have a clue.

OP, so glad you took the watch back.

Good decision. I wouldn't have handed over my watch to the bloke either. Probably just a new salesperson they decided to put into an Omega coat. Hopefully he learnt a thing or two about Omega as well after that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Ive told this one before, but I had a shop assistant repeatedly press the PloProf red bezel release button whilst looking at the dial waiting for something to happen.
    Easy mistake to make, she no doubt thought it was one of these...

Sales assistants are often completely uninformed... but l sometimes wonder if they're trained to be that way...

My wife and l were in a jewellers in Manchester, an Omega dealer, looking at a Chopard happy sport for her.

The assistant pointed at my rolex sd40k and stated "a lot of people don't know that rolex keep terrible time".
    I smiled at this and told him it had gained a second in five days. His reply - "impossible".
    He went on to explain Omegas stringent accuracy testing and the accuracy of their new master coaxial movements.
    I asked if he knew what accuracy rolex tested their movements to and he replied "nowhere near Omega".
    I asked if he would be surprised to learn that a new rolex could be expected to keep +2/-2 seconds a day... he smiled and shook his head, once again replying "impossible".
    I told him to Google it and left the shop wondering how many people he told per week that rolex are terrible timekeepers...

Master
    Perhaps they they were confused as to why you were asking after a Chopard in an Omega dealer so decided to confuse you back ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Sales assistants are often completely uninformed... but l sometimes wonder if they're trained to be that way...

My wife and l were in a jewellers in Manchester, an Omega dealer, looking at a Chopard happy sport for her.

The assistant pointed at my rolex sd40k and stated "a lot of people don't know that rolex keep terrible time".
    I smiled at this and told him it had gained a second in five days. His reply - "impossible".
    He went on to explain Omegas stringent accuracy testing and the accuracy of their new master coaxial movements.
    I asked if he knew what accuracy rolex tested their movements to and he replied "nowhere near Omega".
    I asked if he would be surprised to learn that a new rolex could be expected to keep +2/-2 seconds a day... he smiled and shook his head, once again replying "impossible".
    I told him to Google it and left the shop wondering how many people he told per week that rolex are terrible timekeepers...

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Perhaps they they were confused as to why you were asking after a Chopard in an Omega dealer so decided to confuse you back ;-)
    Haha! Well, they stocked other brands too...

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post

Perhaps that was the OP's problem - the technician had recently watched Minority Report and wondered why someone was expecting Omega to repair a Bulgari watch?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Unfortunately, customers can be shockingly ignorant too, and I speak from personal experience.

I was visiting San Marino maybe 20 years ago, and passing a watch shop, I eyed what they had in the window. Amongst the gems were a Submariner and a Seadweller.

Browsing inside the shop, (I believe) the owner approached me and asked if I wanted any assistance.

I asked him politely why his Submariner was missing half the text that I was used to seeing, and was certainly on the Seadweller.

He examined the watch briefly, looked up at me mouth slightly open, but nothing came out.

I carried on browsing, (thinking I had pointed out he had a possible fake watch in his shop), and then left.

Only some months/years later, did I realise that the Submariner (with no date) didn't have all the text that the Submariner Date had anyway.

To this day, I feel like a complete plonker, and regret ever having entered his shop spouting such drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Unfortunately, customers can be shockingly ignorant too, and I speak from personal experience.

I was visiting San Marino maybe 20 years ago, and passing a watch shop, I eyed what they had in the window. Amongst the gems were a Submariner and a Seadweller.

Browsing inside the shop, (I believe) the owner approached me and asked if I wanted any assistance.

I asked him politely why his Submariner was missing half the text that I was used to seeing, and was certainly on the Seadweller.

He examined the watch briefly, looked up at me mouth slightly open, but nothing came out.

I carried on browsing, (thinking I had pointed out he had a possible fake watch in his shop), and then left.

Only some months/years later, did I realise that the Submariner (with no date) didn't have all the text that the Submariner Date had anyway.

To this day, I feel like a complete plonker, and regret ever having entered his shop spouting such drivel.
    The door swings both ways alright - but you learned something, that's one big positive. It's so much worse if you don't accept a mistake and don't learn from it.