closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 87 of 87

Thread: Speedmaster - what is your attraction to it?

  1. #51
    Master vRSG60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Barrowford - Lancashire
    Posts
    2,737
    Iconic design, only just beaten by the Submariner.
    Water resistance is negligible, hand wind isnít a problem.
    Anyone else thinks they where just a touch too small?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #52
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    10,429
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Despite being a busy dial, it's incredibly legible. Wears small for it's measurements. Aesthetically perfect design for me.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    I think this nails it for me.

    Ignore all the space associations and it just a great design.

    Iconic like the Rolex Sub, Breitling Navitimer and Heuer Monaco.

    Not everyone feels as strongly, but it's a popular, long lived design which (special editions aside), the manufacturer has resisted messing about with too much (as is the case with those other designs, I mentioned).

    M

    Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  3. #53
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    408
    I noticed the moon watch before I really had a passion for watches. It grew on me he more I noticed people wearing one and eventually I bought one. I donít wear it much as I prefer an auto and date but Iíd never sell it. Timeless design.

  4. #54
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,360
    Had a speedy Tuesday 1 for a while, if I were to get another one it would be a vintage with the step dial or one of the modern ck2998 variants

  5. #55
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    751
    This might be a slightly controversial view, but I prefer the MK2. It retains the legibility of dial and excellent movement, but in a case that truly stands out and speaks to the late 60s / 70s futuristic view on space.

  6. #56
    Craftsman earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post
    This comment wins the thread for me.
    Positively poetic.

    The doomed hesalite made me sad tho'...

    As a clumsy git, it didn't read like a typo to me.

  7. #57
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Banbury, UK
    Posts
    33
    For me there are two elements to it.

    One hand there is the design side of things. The watch is a classic. Itís like a Porsche 911 - basically been the same shape since Day 1 but with different editions. The same with a Speedmaster. Doesnít wear too big, has a rich brand heritage, isnít flashy, has a useful chronograph etc. I think it just works as a watch. Great design from a top brand = timeless classic and there are plenty of variations on this to suit everyoneís tastes.

    For me, though I get not for everyone, there is also the attention to detail that comes from the space associations. The manual wind because automatic watches donít work in in zero gravity. The hesalite because it is much tougher wearing etc, etc.

    This is to say nothing of a watch with a history of great movements and accuracy.

    I get so much joy every time I put mine on!

  8. #58
    Master bedlam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)
    Posts
    1,120
    I can't think of any reason to buy one over a Zenith.

  9. #59
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    10,429
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I can't think of any reason to buy one over a Zenith.
    Price?

    Mine was at least half the price of any El Primero!

    I think that is a factor in their popularity, it's a relatively affordable watch (especially used) compared with anything else even as vaguely as recognisable.

    M

    Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 30th June 2020 at 11:08.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  10. #60
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I can't think of any reason to buy one over a Zenith.
    History, price , extras ie box box straps etc, and biggest for me bracelet

    I do plan on adding a El Primero to my collection but it would take a whole different place im my collection to a speedy

  11. #61
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    687
    I was born in 1957 and not being quite able to afford a birth year Speedmaster I settled for a Speedmaster '57 for my 60th birthday.


  12. #62
    Master bedlam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Price?

    Mine was at least half the price of any El Primero!

    I think that is a factor in their popularity, it's a relatively affordable watch (especially used) compared with anything else even if vaguely as recognisable.
    Yeah, but after the Submariner the Speedmaster is the most boring watch available IMO.

    Not trying to troll those that love them, I just don't.

  13. #63
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Yeah, but after the Submariner the Speedmaster is the most boring watch available IMO.

    Not trying to troll those that love them, I just don't.
    I reckon a lot of people find the sub and speedie a bit boring, they suffer from over exposure.

  14. #64
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    10,429
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I reckon a lot of people find the sub and speedie a bit boring, they suffer from over exposure.
    It's that exactly - That said, I don't know where everyone sees so many Speedmasters - I only know one other person with one and that's a reduced...

    Subs are far worse for this as there are so many lookalikes, whether homages (like Steinharts) or simply simiilarly styled watches.

    I must admit to feeling a little jaded when I see yet another Submariner thread, but that doesn't mean it's not a good watch or a perfectly sensible choice for that individual.

    They only become boring because we see loads posted on forums, not because there's anything boring about the watch per se.

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  15. #65
    Master RAFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,003
    Just never 'got' the Speedmaster, or why history is any kind of factor towards liking a watch or not. The Daytona is another one. It's an awful looking watch. Will never understand why it's so popular.

  16. #66
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    11,078
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Just never 'got' the Speedmaster, or why history is any kind of factor towards liking a watch or not. The Daytona is another one. It's an awful looking watch. Will never understand why it's so popular.
    The history thing is a bit of a double edged sword. Buy a brand that is a homage and you get the grief because it's trying to be a (insert watch model), but buy a watch with actual history and clearly the manufacturer is guilty of milking it to death - sometimes you just can't win.

    I do agree though, if a watch has a rich history and you dislike it, then it's a watch that you are unlikely to consider buying.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 30th June 2020 at 11:54.

  17. #67
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Newbury, UK
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    A Speedmaster reduced was my first proper watch.
    Sold that to buy a moon watch and I canít ever see me not having one. I even had the first speedy Tuesday for a while.
    Itís the easiest Chronograph watch to read by far in my opinion (bar a 5100 or similar powered watch) the later MK series of watches are just as easy to read.
    It looks good on almost any strap
    The history associated with the watch is unmatched by most if not all watches in production. Although the marketing around it is a bit of a joke.
    It has not really changed that much during its production life.- That canít be said about many watches, so I guess the moon watch got it right first time.
    The racing / Schumacher / special edition versions donít have quite the same appeal for me as the bog standard professional.
    Still got my reduced which was also my first proper watch, I paid £880 for it back in 2001. Itís not currently running so needs a good service once these strange times pass.

    Cheers
    Rory


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #68
    Master RAFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The history thing is a bit of a double edged sword. Buy a brand that is a homage and you get the grief because it's trying to be a (insert watch model), but buy a watch with actual history and clearly the manufacturer is guilty of milking it to death - sometimes you just can't win.

    I do agree though, if a watch has a rich history and you dislike it, then it's a watch that you are unlikely to consider buying.
    Yes true, good points. Tastes change though. I used to not like bezels on watches but have gone completely the other way now. Maybe if I tried on a Speedy...

    I do however love the Speedmaster Mark II. I think it's the pop of colour on the dial, and the shape.

  19. #69
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    729
    I thought it was a bit bland when I first became aware of it, then I saw the countless LE's and how Omega would pump the space association at every opportunity and it put me off if anything, but over the years I've come to appreciate the purity of the design and I love the case shape with the twisted lugs. The fact that it's stayed the same for over 50 years and it's basically a vintage watch you can buy new also appeals.

    The only thing I don't like is the small crown making it hard to wind but that's a minor gripe. The stated WR isn't great but it's good enough for 99% of us and it has the same sealing/gasket arrangement as some watches with 200m on the dial, so I do wonder what the actual WR is...

    Quote Originally Posted by aaf1982 View Post
    For me, though I get not for everyone, there is also the attention to detail that comes from the space associations. The manual wind because automatic watches donít work in in zero gravity. The hesalite because it is much tougher wearing etc, etc.
    Manual wind because the automatic chronograph hadn't been invented when NASA did the evaluations, and autos work just fine in zero gravity as William Pogue confirmed.

  20. #70
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    163
    I tried one on and really wanted to like it but it just really didnít do it for me. I get why others adore it, but just isnít the watch for me!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #71
    Master RAFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post

    Manual wind because the automatic chronograph hadn't been invented when NASA did the evaluations, and autos work just fine in zero gravity as William Pogue confirmed.
    You have to wonder how they wound it with the space suits on...

  22. #72
    I had a professional for a short while but just didn't gel with it, don't know why because I've had two pre-moon models for years and love them.

  23. #73
    When I was in my teens, one of the neighbours, a friend of my father, and fellow air-cooled VW enthusiast, wore a Speedmaster.

    He was one of the most intelligent men that I have ever met - Hungarian by birth, he escaped to the UK when "people started calling each other comrade". He had very limited knowledge of English, but was a physicist, and had quite an influence on me. We would work on cars together, and I learned a great deal from him.

    He was particularly fond of his Speedmaster, and I learned about the Apollo missions from him, which, although I couldn't afford one at the time, made me want one of my own. Many, many years later, thanks to the miracle of Sales Corner, I managed to buy one, a "proper" Hesalite crystalled version.

    It's tricky to wind, the crown is a bit fiddly, but on the other hand it's incredibly versatile. I have barely used the bracelet, but it's been on everything from a brown croc to a Nato. Nowadays it lives on an Omega Rallye with a deployant, which suits it perfectly.

    If I have to choose just one watch for every purpose, given that I don't dive or participate in water sports, it would be my Speedmaster.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

  24. #74
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    23,763
    Tried on many of all eras, but never bought one for 3 reasons.

    1) itís manual.
    2) not very waterproof
    3) I donít need a chronograph. if I did, then I would rather Dodane 21, Breguet Type XX, Blancpain Air Command or El Primo. I would however have a Speedy before a Daytona (excluding a Paul Newman dial).

    Comparisons between a Submariner and the Speedmaster are rather pointless. A bit like comparing Apples with grapefruit.

    Horses for courses.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  25. #75
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Tried on many of all eras, but never bought one for 3 reasons.

    1) itís manual.
    2) not very waterproof
    3) I donít need a chronograph. if I did, then I would rather Dodane 21, Breguet Type XX, Blancpain Air Command or El Primo. I would however have a Speedy before a Daytona (excluding a Paul Newman dial).

    Comparisons between a Submariner and the Speedmaster are rather pointless. A bit like comparing Apples with grapefruit.

    Horses for courses.
    The breguet type XX is severely underrated, especially the 1990 tritium dial which is gorgeous.

  26. #76
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    17
    Classic looks, evokes the 1960s perfectly. Superb design. Great size.

  27. #77
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    not dan saf
    Posts
    2,527
    Blog Entries
    2

    FOIS, Moonie and Reduced

    Iím now sitting with three of the boundahs

    A brand new (last week) Moonie

    A 2002 Reduced which Mrs McB bought me for a significant birthday.

    A 2016 FOIS

    Why do I have 3 of these???

    So, Iím now going to offload the FOIS

    Jim

  28. #78
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    11,078
    Shame the Silver Snoopy was the one that went bonkers price wise whilst other LEs released around the same time turn up for Peanuts (see what I did there ). I would happily own that one again if they were selling at normal second hand prices.

  29. #79
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,012
    I *Should* love the speedy, it has all the tick boxes, history, space geek, large enough, enough variants to find something aesthetically pleasing, attainable price with a bit of self control, etc. However I've never looked at one and thought mmm I'll have that one day, it just doesn't grip me at all and I'm not really sure why. Maybe once all this madness is over with I should go and try one on.

  30. #80
    Craftsman WHL1882's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Shame the Silver Snoopy was the one that went bonkers price wise whilst other LEs released around the same time turn up for Peanuts (see what I did there ). I would happily own that one again if they were selling at normal second hand prices.
    Donít get me wrong as itís a lovely watch but I still donít see how people are now paying up to £30k😲 for a Snoopy when there are better speedmasters around? Mind you, theyíre not that easily to come by either I guess?

  31. #81
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    11,078
    Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Don’t get me wrong as it’s a lovely watch but I still don’t see how people are now paying up to £30k for a Snoopy when there are better speedmasters around? Mind you, they’re not that easily to come by either I guess?
    They are if you have £30k going spare. The prices just keep going up and up so I can only assume people are still buying. There are a couple listed on Chrono24 from UK dealers. Having owned two, it is basically a £3.5k Moonwatch with a fancy dial and box set, hence its list price of £4.6k, but that's what it is, a £4.6k watch at best. One dealer had a Snoopy listed next to a Red Submariner and the Snoopy was more expensive - that just has to be stupidity on a grand scale.

  32. #82
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Cheshire UK
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    They are if you have £30k going spare. The prices just keep going up and up so I can only assume people are still buying. There are a couple listed on Chrono24 from UK dealers. Having owned two, it is basically a £3.5k Moonwatch with a fancy dial and box set, hence its list price of £4.6k, but that's what it is, a £4.6k watch at best. One dealer had a Snoopy listed next to a Red Submariner and the Snoopy was more expensive - that just has to be stupidity on a grand scale.
    Quite agree - Does anyone remember the ridiculous prices limited edition Swatches achieved in the 90s? Now probably landfill.
    While I can see the value in an ST1, Apollo XI etc, the bragging rights from a 60s cartoon strip escapes me.

    O Tempora O Mores!

  33. #83
    Craftsman WHL1882's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    425
    Glad some of you agree about the Snoopy; I thought it was just me?!

  34. #84
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I had a professional for a short while but just didn't gel with it, don't know why because I've had two pre-moon models for years and love them.
    Could that be down to tritium vs SL ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #85
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Good question OP.

    If Iím honest (with myself), I think I need to ask whether my attraction to the Speedmaster is merely that everyone else has expressed their own huge attraction to it.

    Having owned 5 of these, from the late 1960s models to present day, I am still trying to work out if I am genuinely attracted to it at all.

    Sacrilege, I know.
    This is my opinion too. I have a Speedy Pro hesalite really only because I feel as though I should, that said I wouldn't want to be without it. There's no question it is a very well thought out and simple dial, so it still gets some wrist time here and there but I wouldn't say I feel any particular connection to it other than what is imposed by the wider watch community.

  36. #86
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    10,429
    Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Glad some of you agree about the Snoopy; I thought it was just me?!
    I can't say I like any of the special editions.

    The only ones, other than the standard Moonwatch I'd have are a blue dialed one or a moonphase, but both look very much like the standard one.

    Each to their own of course, I'm quite happy with mine, but I wouldn't buy one at full new price today (Equally true of most watches, though, to be honest).

    In response to an earlier post, I don't think anyone (unless I missed it) was comparing Submariners and Speedmasters, just stating that both are very popular and perceived as over-exposed as a result (although, again, I don't recall last seeing a Speedmaster other than mine - Actually, I think Henry Catchpole was wearing one in a video I watched a few weeks ago - which isn't true of Submariners).

    As for "I'd have an XYZ, before a Speedmaster" - I got my Breitling Cosmonaute before a Speedmaster. It was that watch's space connections that led me to the Speedmaster (When I first saw the Cosmonaute, I didn't know it was a 'space watch'), but I think both are excellent and, while the Breitling is the keeper, both are favourites. I had a Bulova 'moonwatch' reissue, briefly, but it's one of the few watches I've moved on, so it's not a case of being obsessed with 'space watches' (I don't actually know which other watches were used in space - I think there's a Seiko of some sort, hence the association with Pogue?)

    All that said, there's nothing to say anyone has to like any watch, I wouldn't spend my money on a Submariner and I always find the Daytona a terribly disappointing watch, much as I wanted to like it (due to it's connection to the race whose name it bears).

    Just because a watch is popular, doesn't mean you're wrong if it doesn't appeal to you, which seems to be the assumption (or at least the assumption that people think you are wrong) of some of those asking what the appeal is.

    M
    Last edited by snowman; 1st July 2020 at 14:33.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  37. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Could that be down to tritium vs SL ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably a combination of that and the shape of the lugs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information