closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZRC Grand Fonds 3000m Titanium

ZRC Grand Fonds 3000m Titanium

I stumbled across this the other day and had never heard of ZRC 1904 before. As a big fan of over engineered, chunky blue divers watches this is intriguing; a thickness of 19mm including the domed sapphire crystal is pretty punchy, but 42mm isn’t too bad. The dial that graduates from blue to black; a bit like the Deepsea.

The case is titanium; with a choice of 3 finishes - sandblasted, polished and DLC and likely to cost around €3900.

Anyway I thought this might be of interest to some others that share my chunky dive watch interest, and I'd be interested to know of any experiences of ZRC 1904 as a brand.

Oceanictime article: http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2020...-blue.html?m=1

ZRC 1904 homepage: https://zrc1904.ch/en/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Megatron; 25th June 2020 at 10:00.

I have looking for a ZRC for a while now
    The back version looks very cool although the printing on the bezel looks a bit rough.
    I do prefer the MN reissue though.

Currently 20% off on their website as well.
    Hmmmmm...
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 25th June 2020 at 10:59.

I have been tempted by their current offer, and have emailed them about it.
    The main point is that the offer price you see is what you pay. No VAT, no duty, no postage.
    A good offer.
    I was going to go for the original 1964 MN re-issue (non-date) on the bracelet, and buy the NATO conversion and a grey NATO at the same time.
    Total cost (confirmed by them, watch, bracelet, NATO, tools etc) Fedexed to my door CHF 2717, about £2300
    But I just don't have the funds at present. Good offer though.
    Dave

Dave I am currently looking at the exact same!
    It does seem as good offer.

Hmm, I thought so.
    Up until the offer, that was the kind of price they were going for used (give or take), making the offer price a depreciation-buster.
    CHF 2072 for the same watch with no bracelet, just the NATO, that's £1750.
    I hear great things about the quality, but have never handled one, so am not totally comfortable with the blind spend.
    Especially as the range of good quality online photos seems pretty poor.
    It is just one of those great, unique designs. I know others have copied it, but these guys are definitely doing it best.
    Dave

I think S.L on here has / had one and he said the quality was good of the money.
    I am waiting on their response.
    I have been looking at them for years but like you was not keen on that outlay without handling one.
    As you say the reduction means it’s almost risk free (at current 2nd hand prices)
    Man maths and talking myself in to the purchase I think.

20% discount lasts until 30th June, unfortunately before the 3000 version is released. There aren’t a huge amount of them around and no UK distributors so I’m a little reluctant to buy sight unseen; but the design does seem to have something about it that I really like. Decisions decisions...

In my discussions with them they intimated that they would have UK sales representation soon. No more details than that.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    In my discussions with them they intimated that they would have UK sales representation soon. No more details than that.
    D
    Interesting; that’s useful - thanks, it would be good to have a look at one in the flesh before stumping up the cash.

I really like ZRC's take on the dive watch. I have had the Re-Issue on my list for ages but life and a Land Rover refurb seem to have got in the way (for now).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    That does look nice, but basically isn’t it the same price as a Doxa Sub?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    That does look nice, but basically isn’t it the same price as a Doxa Sub?
    Yes. But I know what I would rather have if I had to choose.

Both ZRC and Doxa are former manufacturers that went bust and have been brought back to life.
    Both were used by the MN and other organisations at the forefront of the diving in the 60s so there are a lot of parallels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I think S.L on here has / had one and he said the quality was good of the money.
    I am waiting on their response.
    I have been looking at them for years but like you was not keen on that outlay without handling one.
    As you say the reduction means it’s almost risk free (at current 2nd hand prices)
    Man maths and talking myself in to the purchase I think.
    Yes, I’ve owned two ZRC 300 Grands Fonds, the ’regular’ and the North Pole.

Really nice watches IMHO, wish I still had one but both left to fund other acquisitions (I don’t really do ’keepers’).
    Cons: they do wear long (lug to lug) and the bracelet is a bit of an acquired taste.
    Pros: Everything else.

Lume is somewhat like an acid trip,

The Ti version interests me, havent read up on it yet, does anyone knpw what grade of Ti they will be using?

Thanks S.L
    I am still waiting on a response from their customer service.
    If I do get a response it is highly likely I will give one a go.
    John

I'm a big fan of these, have always loved that quirky design and I'd been happy with any of the variations.

Seems a really great offer at the moment, as always with things like this the timing no good for me.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 26th June 2020 at 08:05.

So if one ignores the normal golden rule of *buy with the bracelet, regardless" then this does besome attractively priced t under £1800, delivered. S.L's photos do illustrate some really good looking case chamfers and finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post

The Ti version interests me, havent read up on it yet, does anyone know what grade of Ti they will be using?
    Grade II titanium with a steel caseback according to their specs; I'd like to know the lug to lug size on this as well if they do wear a bit big.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Grade II titanium with a steel caseback according to their specs; I'd like to know the lug to lug size on this as well if they do wear a bit big.

Thanks!
    Remember that the relevant lug-to-lug distance for this watch is including the rubber strap end link @6 o clock.

Where are you guys getting the euro pricing as I see swiss franc pricing and you need to add 20% VAT on top

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Where are you guys getting the euro pricing as I see swiss franc pricing and you need to add 20% VAT on top
    I got that figure off the Oceanictime & this Diveintowatches article (https://diveintowatches.com/2020/06/...ds-fonds-3000/), but you're correct Ryan - when I checked the ZRC website the price is indeed in CHF; at that price I'd definitely like to see it before hand.

Their website indicates if you buy direct they deduct 7.7% Swiss VAT and then you’d pay 20% into the UK; so maybe not so horrendous...having said that French dealer Chronopassion has the same number but in Euros which would made a difference. I'll see what happens when it's released...
    Last edited by Megatron; 26th June 2020 at 21:59.

I've just had an offer from an AD for the French Navy version on bracelet shipped to me for £2075. That's borderline 'no brainer' territory.

I've just had an offer from an AD for the French Navy version on bracelet shipped to me for £2075. That's borderline 'no brainer' territory.
    Is that a European AD Ryan?

Is that a European AD Ryan?
    Correct. One in Spain and one in France for £5 more

If you are interested I could be cheeky and ask for a price for 2 as I will buy one at that price for sure and if we get it even cheaper then there's a takeaway or 2 sorted :)

If you are interested I could be cheeky and ask for a price for 2 as I will buy one at that price for sure and if we get it even cheaper then there's a takeaway or 2 sorted :)
    That’s incredibly kind Ryan but I’m only really interested in the blue sandblasted titanium version which I don’t think has been released yet (July?); if a similar discount was on offer for that it would be very interesting indeed!

Hi just make sure they include a toolkit as the screws on the watch are triangle and would be difficult to remove without two of the triangle screwdrivers
    Top quality watch for sure here is my north with my triton
    [/url]

I had it in writing from ZRC themselves, and I quote

"There will be ZERO COST from your side to import the watch in UK. During this promotion we are delivering DDP (Delivery Duty Paid) meaning you will bear NO EXTRA COST."

I queried this and they said again

"There will be NO CHARGE AT ALL for importing in the UK we will deliver the watch Delivery Duty Paid,"

Dave

Managed to get one delivered for £2k. SS on Bracelet, French Navy reedition. French AD. Cheapest by far. AD is called LPB3 and I did it via Chrono24

Managed to get one delivered for £2k. SS on Bracelet, French Navy reedition. French AD. Cheapest by far. AD is called LPB3 and I did it via Chrono24
    3000m?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    3000m?
    No the standard 300m version, classic French Navy on the SS bracelet

No the standard 300m version, classic French Navy on the SS bracelet
    Great👍
    I am waiting for the 3000 m to be released.

Having owned mine now for just under 2 weeks (FN reedition) I have some observations.

Quality is superb. One of my favourite bezel actions ever. Case construction is nice, decent chamfering, complex diamond shape, nice dial, lume is up there with the best I've owned (although the effect is somewhat kalaidoscopic). Bracelet is ingenious with the spring loaded 1st link that negates the need for adjustable clasp or diver extension.

The styling is polarising. I think it looks awesome. Many disagree but then again if your idea of what a perfect dive watch looks like is a Submariner then you probably won't like this. The design makes total sense and actually with the way the bracelet also is engineered I think from a functional perspective this is among the best engineered diver watches out there.

Couple of bug bears. The clasp is basically a spring bar that hooks onto a hook on the attaching link (so bracelet is like a leather strap in so far as it isn't joined together with a clasp you have to fasten the 2 ends of the bracelet together). There is a swivelling 'lock' that ensures the bracelet doesn't detach but it is a weird design foible on what is a superbly engineered bracelet (that in itself has polarising styling).

The other bugbear is the dots on the bezel. They look amazing and very cool. How the hell are you supposed to read elapsed/remaining minutes though without doing mental arithmetic around where the 3 dot (12 o clock position) is and calculating where the hands are in relation. Also one might argue a diver watch should have minute markers.

Overall it is an amazing watch though. Quality even better than expected (feels very premium - the construction detail is obvious). So if you like the style then do it - buy with confidence as for sure you won't be disappointed by the quality. It feels vintage but very well made - someone above said you can get a Doxa Sub for the same price. I have a Doxa Sub and the ZRC is by a significant distance a better made and finished watch. It isn't even remotely close.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 12th July 2020 at 00:46.

Thanks, Ryan for the review and pics.

Thanks Ryan; good to know the quality is up there as well. I think I’ll wait for the titanium version to hit the dealers and see what deals can be found (if any) and then wait for a window where the exchange rate is favourable

@ryanb741 et al:

Hi there. i've had my eye on one or two ZRC watches for a good long while but as there is no place to try it on and their website really has very few details, i.e. not even close up detailed pictures and explanation of their bracelet(!), i sort of never went through with buying one.

with @ryan741's excellent write up and critique (thank you ryan!), i'm much more likely going to get one now.

i have a very small wrist for a guy: 6" to 6 1/2". as such, the lug-to-lug measurement is key. well, again, ZRC's site doesn't have that listed.

i'm wondering which one or two top choices of models there might be from ZRC which might be best suited for me please?

i am guessing that their 40.5mm diameter models would be by far more suitable for me than their larger diameter options.

any thoughts from the good folks here? i'm thinking that the posters on this thread must be experienced dive watch guys so this is a good place to ask.

thank you all in advance.

I am waiting for a North Adventure to arrive.

It's interesting that the current releases are all no-dates.

I'll feedback my small wrist experience of this watch when I have a chance.

Quick one :
    The watch fits fine on my delicate wrist ; I can’t see overhang (then again, I will wear huge watches which I like).
    Contrary to what I have read, the bracelet can be sized down to fit sub 6.5 inch wrist but bear in mind that there is no micro adjustment.
    The lug bars and bracelet fixtures involve microscopic screws (with one needing a special tool). Why don't more companies use Panerai type screw bars?
    The date on this model is not the most legible. And finding the right position on the crown for quick date set is tricky.

Last edited by psikat; 12th August 2020 at 10:33.

I've just ordered a Grands Fonds 3000 (the sandblasted one - GF50618).

I contacted a few dealers in France, quite a few had 10% off the first order promotions but their websites were problematic when I tried to get delivery outside of France. In the end LP3B (same dealer that Ryan used) gave the best price via Chrono24 - €3500 which is about a 12.5% discount.

Considering it's only just been released I'm happy with that and don't have the patience to wait for second hand examples to trickle onto the market. Not sure when it will arrive; Chrono24 estimate is mid September.

Last edited by Megatron; 27th August 2020 at 20:42.

I've just ordered a Grands Fonds 3000 (the sandblasted one - GF50618).

I contacted a few dealers in France, quite a few had 10% off the first order promotions but their websites were problematic when I tried to get delivery outside of France. In the end LP3B (same dealer that Ryan used) gave the best price via Chrono24 - €3500 which is about a 12.5% discount.

Considering it's only just been released I'm happy with that and don't have the patience to wait for second hand examples to trickle onto the market. Not sure when it will arrive; Chrono24 estimate is mid September.

Was about to order from website and saw this
    Have submitted an offer for same
    It is listed at €4105.

Was about to order from website and saw this
    Have submitted an offer for same
    It is listed at €4105.
    They weren’t the quickest to reply via Chrono24 - just for my interest had you tried their US distributer? I’m afraid I don’t know how taxes work if you’re buying from the EU or Switzerland.

I went with EU as at the moment there is no additional VAT; that will change soon though and I worked out it would be several hundred pounds more expensive in VAT to get direct from ZRC 1904.

I’d be interested to know what they offer - mine has just shipped and will post a review when it hopefully arrives

They weren’t the quickest to reply via Chrono24 - just for my interest had you tried their US distributer? I’m afraid I don’t know how taxes work if you’re buying from the EU or Switzerland.

I went with EU as at the moment there is no additional VAT; that will change soon though and I worked out it would be several hundred pounds more expensive in VAT to get direct from ZRC 1904.

I’d be interested to know what they offer - mine has just shipped and will post a review when it hopefully arrives

They counteroffered with a lower price €3355. They wanted to ship by Colissimo International but I convinced them to use DHL. I found them very quick to respond. Even Showroom W offered a good price.

They counteroffered with a lower price €3355. They wanted to ship by Colissimo International but I convinced them to use DHL. I found them very quick to respond. Even Showroom W offered a good price.
    Great deal that - congrats; mine is coming via Colissimo and I hadn’t thought to ask them to use DHL (who have been good before when I bought from Europe).

Which one did you go for DLC, sandblasted ot satin?

Great deal that - congrats; mine is coming via Colissimo and I hadn’t thought to ask them to use DHL (who have been good before when I bought from Europe).

Which one did you go for DLC, sandblasted ot satin?

Satin.

So mine arrived today; and I have to say I’m really pleased with it. The build quality is really high; the finish on the case is impressive - sandblasted titanium with polished accents and the domed sapphire is quite something- it reminds me of a submersible porthole. Apologies for all the pictures but I have nothing else to do today..

The transition on the dial from light blue to black is more dramatic than on my DSSD Deep Blue. I was in two minds whether to go with the satin or sandblasted finish; and the contrast with the matt bezel was what pushed me to the sandblasted version - but I think the satin version would look just as good. The bezel rotates with a satisfying click and with precision. I can't comment on timekeeping and as I rotate my watches pretty frequently I've never been that fussed by it.

It’s nicely presented in a Pelican style box and the straps are held on with screw bars that need a small hexagonal allen key (provided) to loosen. There is a black two part nylon strap included - the only minor niggle is I’d rather this was blue than black. I've tried it on a Nato and an Erica's but neither of them work and the watch sits funny due to the extra bit by the crown.

Overall very pleased and I feel it’s definitely worth what I spent on it. I like the design is little different to the norm and the domed sapphire catches the eye at all angles.

Black nylon extra strap

lug to lug is 50mm; but it doesn’t feel like it wears that big

The curve of the rubber strap makes it very comfortable to wear.

Lume shot...

Last edited by Megatron; 3rd September 2020 at 13:46.

Next to my DSSD

Height wise they are identical; the domed sapphire is
    much more pronounced on the ZRC

Last edited by Megatron; 3rd September 2020 at 13:47.

That does looks great great

I’m considering the DLC version :-)

It does look very impressive indeed.
    My choice would still be the 1964 version, but the design suits the new materials very well.
    Dave

Yep that version looks superb congrats. Love the colour scheme.

Looks great,Megateon
    Got mine as well and love it in satin
    I don’t think I got the nylon or the alien key, I believe
    will check the box again:-)