closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The New Longines Heritage Classic Tuxedo Models

The New Longines Heritage Classic Tuxedo Models

Longines introduce two new heritage inspired models .

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/lo...ls-introducing

Last edited by Tazmo61; 25th June 2020 at 08:41.

Master
    Very attractive watches - not really sure about the price though.

Frankly why pay $2,000 for the 3-hander when you could get a Smiths PRS-29 for £405? (But obviously that's just my opinion)

I've been having a few discussions about the chrono in the Hodinkee comments, a few issues for me. I'm not a fan of DD modules on top of 2894s for chronographs. It's frustrating because Longines have a reworked 7753 with column wheel they could have used instead (height saving is minimal). Plus the running seconds at 3 is a bit...odd.

Maybe I'm just a pauper, but most on Hodinkee seem to think that $3k is nothing and the compromises are ok. And maybe they're right and Longines have judged their market to not care. But as enthusiasts we really need to challenge companies like Longines to do better.

Not a fan of faux lume, so the 3 hander doesn't do much for me.

Anyway OP, given you started this thread, care to share an opinion? We need to get out of this habit of starting threads without opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Anyway OP, given you started this thread, care to share an opinion? We need to get out of this habit of starting threads without opinions.

The reason I start these threads , is to give others the opportunity to see new models and give their thoughts and opinions them .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmo61 View Post
    The reason I start these threads , is to give others the opportunity to see new models and give their thoughts and opinions them .
    That seems perfectly reasonable to me 🙂👍

The chrono is a lovely looking watch. The movement debate is an issue for me. Given there seems to be an effort to ensure that future servicing has to go back to manufacturer is a deal breaker for me

The Longines Heritage range is terrific. I have a Heritage Skindiver and at just over £2k is worth every penny and more, with an in house movement (ETA movement designed specifically for Longines and used exclusively by them), silicon hairspring, 64 hour power reserve. It's a better made and finished watch than (for example) a Breitling Superocean or Tudor Black Bay at a third cheaper. No brainer - it is a very refined piece.

I'm not a huge fan of the rest of the Longines range but the Heritage range has some really nice pieces

I'd still prefer, as the OP for your opinion - you've made the effort to start the thread, surely you have thoughts on this????

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    The chrono is a lovely looking watch. The movement debate is an issue for me. Given there seems to be an effort to ensure that future servicing has to go back to manufacturer is a deal breaker for me
    Yep - this seems to be the case, a tie in so the brand has recurring revenue. A no thanks from me unless I consciously buy an "in-house" movement and thus aware that I have to send it back to the brand.

The Hodinkee's photographer is to be congratulated. His shots of the three hander really sold it to me. Compare those efforts to the one on the Longines website: L2.330.4.93.0.

Now I realise I'd have to see one before I'll know if I like it or not. The chrono just isn't my style but I think that I understand the look they've aimed for.

Just how many Heritage models will the market stand? Judging by Omega's famed affinity with Limited Editions the answer may be quite a few more.

Overall I think that I agree with KAS118 at #2.
    Last edited by PickleB; 25th June 2020 at 12:47. Reason: to reflect photo attribution pointed out in later posts

Master
    I'd still prefer, as the OP for your opinion - you've made the effort to start the thread, surely you have thoughts on this????

Blimey - maybe his thoughts were - here's a new watch that people might be interested in, let's make them aware of it. If people had to give detailed opinions on everything they posted then maybe they wouldn't be bothered anymore.

I respect that you may want to post opinions - but other may merely want to post information/news. Each to their own.
    Last edited by KAS118; 25th June 2020 at 09:36.

They are in the main informative posts , to give others the chance to see new models and give their views and opinions . If others have objections to the way I post these posts then I will discontinue them . If I have an opinion on a new model I will give it , maybe not in the original post but further on in the thread .

Master
    .... If others have objections to the way I post these posts then I will discontinue them . If I have an opinion on a new model I will give it , maybe not in the original post but further on in the thread .
    Please don't discontinue them.

It is perfectly acceptable for someone to post a thread, merely giving news/information to people - rather than having to give their own opinions all the time 🙂

I couldn't disagree with this more. This, and every watch forum, could do with a lot less opionating, and a lot more factual content. But that's the way of the world in 2020, if you're not mouthing off aggressively from a position of lazy ignorance then why are you even alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I couldn't disagree with this more. This, and every watch forum, could do with a lot less opionating, and a lot more factual content. But that's the way of the world in 2020, if you're not mouthing off aggressively from a position of lazy ignorance then why are you even alive?
    But isn't opining the point of a forum like this? Otherwise every thread would open with a picture of a watch, reply #1 would be "yes, it's a watch" and there'd never be a reply #2.

Opinions keep a forum going. It's a subjective opinion on whether hands are too short, sub dials are too big, straps are ugly, a dial is too busy, too boring, a case is too wide, proportions are all wrong, blah, blah, blah.

Objective factual information is dry and boring, we're in this hobby for how watches make us feel.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    Sums it up for me. - lovely looking watch though

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Hodinkee's photographer is to be congratulated. His shots of the three hander really sold it to me. Compare those efforts to the one on the Longines website: L2.330.4.93.0.
    Are these Hodinkee photographs though? they seem the same shots from a thread I started a while back.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...tage-scorchers!

Although I have to be honest I've no idea who took the pics, I got them from a Polish website I think.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 25th June 2020 at 10:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    But isn't opining the point of a forum like this? Otherwise every thread would open with a picture of a watch, reply #1 would be "yes, it's a watch" and there'd never be a reply #2.

Opinions keep a forum going. It's a subjective opinion on whether hands are too short, sub dials are too big, straps are ugly, a dial is too busy, too boring, a case is too wide, proportions are all wrong, blah, blah, blah.

Objective factual information is dry and boring, we're in this hobby for how watches make us feel.
    Fully agree. Opinions and discussions are the entire point. Not all opinions are negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Are these Hodinkee photographs though? they seem the same shots from a thread I started a while back.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...tage-scorchers!

Although I have to be honest I've no idea who took the pics, I got them from a Polish website I think.
    Indeed, these are not Hodinkee pictures, they're the press pack shots which will differ to the website pictures.

Master

Well personally I find giving News or receiving News, on a subject that I'm interested in, isn't boring but interesting.

No-one is saying that people aren't entitled to give their opinions if they want to - but neither should someone feel they can only post IF they also give an opinion as well.

Sometimes its actually preferable to receive a piece of news/information and then make your own mind up about it - rather than having someones 'opinion' given immediately

...Anyway OP, given you started this thread, care to share an opinion? We need to get out of this habit of starting threads without opinions.
    I'd still prefer, as the OP for your opinion - you've made the effort to start the thread, surely you have thoughts on this????...
    Eddie is the only 'moderator' around here. You have your opinion...and you have told us about it twice. Enough...perhaps?

I don't agree. This thread show plenty of opinions on the watches in the OP's 'informational' post and that, to my mind, disproves your post #1, post #2 arguement.

Fully agree. Opinions and discussions are the entire point. Not all opinions are negative...
    Apparently twice is not enough...even when others patently disagree with your opinion. You don't have to change it...just accept that others have a different opinion, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Phew...no date.
    Good point. I agree.

Anyway, that's enough from me...unless, of course, someone comes up with something interesting.

I love the look of the 3 hander but personally for £2k I'd be looking at something used from Nomos, IWC or Grand Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I love the look of the 3 hander but personally for £2k I'd be looking at something used from Nomos, IWC or Grand Seiko.
    The 3 hander is around £1,450 BTW

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The 3 hander is around £1,450 BTW
    That makes a difference to be fair. Would certainly be a good used buy in a few years if you could find one.

I love Longines and they are definitely getting it right lately.

Craftsman
    These popped up on my Google feed the other day. Look great

Master
    https://youtu.be/kX-jCEfugNc

Nice video showing this beauty off rather well.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    https://youtu.be/kX-jCEfugNc

Nice video showing this beauty off rather well.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    That thing is T H I C K

Journeyman
    I'd prefer watches with such obvious nods to history to have hand-wound movements, automatic chronographs
    didn't exist until the late 60s.

Does anyone know if reasonably priced manual chrono movements exist nowadays?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by procrustes View Post
    I'd prefer watches with such obvious nods to history to have hand-wound movements, automatic chronographs
    didn't exist until the late 60s.

Does anyone know if reasonably priced manual chrono movements exist nowadays?
    Seagull ST19