closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Relocation watch

Master
    Blog Entries

Relocation watch

I used to be a player here, some may even remember me!

After walking away from Panerai collecting I've lived life almost watch free, its been rather liberating too.

I've been flirting with buying a decent piece again for some months, i even looked at Panerai again and thought nah, been there, done that. As I'm shortly off to live in sunnier climbs, i wanted something with a bit of fizz to it, something not dull but not loud either.

I found myself looking at a brand I've owned a couple of times before and have an incoming due tomoro. Bright, but not too much

Another Marmite brand for many and they're basic, though stylish imo. Non aspirational, no brand hype, just a time teller in a nice looking package that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts.

Last edited by shadowman; 25th June 2020 at 07:47.

Yes, I remember that you had a very very very nice panerai collection indeed!

Anonimo make some great watches, weren’t they made by former panerai employees who were fed up with the marketing?

ooh i remember, more Pam's than incontinence pants at an old peoples home

Sunnier climbs sounds nice.

I have owned a few Anonimos over the years, built like tanks. incredibly durable, simple designs as you say and i always thought represented good value for money, i like the aqua blue (to my eye at least) accents on the watch and how that carries through to the strap, to be honest i dont think you've strayed too far away from Panerai in as much i often thought Anonimo looked like the Ferrari range Panerai did, or maybe Panerai copied them? Both Italian in heritage anyway.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thedontheniro View Post
    Yes, I remember that you had a very very very nice panerai collection indeed!

Anonimo make some great watches, weren’t they made by former panerai employees who were fed up with the marketing?

Correct, nearly. When Richemont acquired the business two notables didn't go over and in time created Anonimo, they created the first Bronze watch too, contrary to popular belief.

I don't know the full details but the brand suffered and collapsed twice I think. Like Panerai now ironically they're an Italian company with production in Switzerland. AFAIK, its an investment business owner that has funded this. I've always liked them though not all of their offerings by a long way. If this piece proves to be good i may buy the bronze model too. That could start me collecting again though

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    ooh i remember, more Pam's than incontinence pants at an old peoples home

Sunnier climbs sounds nice.

Thankfully incontinence hasn't reached me yet though i do hit a rather significant Zero in September

I bought a home in Greece a few years ago now, love the climate, though it rains, love the people and lifestyle. Generally unpretentious living, battered vehicles abound and the pace is just easier. It's been calling me for a while and now we're in the process of making it permanent, though i'll keep a UK presence too .

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Thankfully incontinence hasn't reached me yet though i do hit a rather significant Zero in September

I bought a home in Greece a few years ago now, love the climate, though it rains, love the people and lifestyle. Generally unpretentious living, battered vehicles abound and the pace is just easier. It's been calling me for a while and now we're in the process of making it permanent, though i'll keep a UK presence too .
    sounds very nice. I hope Greece works out, given youve had a place there a while no doubt it will.

Hope that still means you will be popping by the forum

You and I were very much part of the Panerai hardcores back in the day! I still have 2 - my first PAM 111 and the 190. As much as I've been tempted to flutter with Panerai again, I'm hesitant to go down that hole again. Though many members seem to be enjoying their current offerings and it's having a mini resurgence under the new CEO.

I've like Anonimo - bold designs and very much their own thing. Maybe that's why they haven't done so well over the years, not following the herd ;)

I like the watch you have incoming, I also saw they have a white dial which also looks nice. Not particularly cheap, but Anonimo have always made very robust watches.

Enjoy life in Greece, having spent time in Crete a few years ago, I totally get the allure to the slower pace of life in Greece (plus the excellent produce).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    sounds very nice. I hope Greece works out, given youve had a place there a while no doubt it will.

Hope that still means you will be popping by the forum

I am a man in my senior years now, my priorities have shifted and the fawning over what are ultimately just baubles I find quite amusing and sad in some cases. Rolex, the word so many aspire too I dont understand. Retail pricing is harsh enough but to pay vastly over is just ludicrous, imo of course. The investment seekers may yet take a bath too.

I'm not the passionate watch collector i once was, i suppose i experienced something of an epiphany a while ago, and concluded there were more important things in my life. Having been away I didn't miss the carping and nastiness that used to prevail, Captain Howdy being a prime example. Why be nasty when being nice is easier and better.

I digress. I will doubtless look in now and again but not as i used to.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    You and I were very much part of the Panerai hardcores back in the day! I still have 2 - my first PAM 111 and the 190. As much as I've been tempted to flutter with Panerai again, I'm hesitant to go down that hole again. Though many members seem to be enjoying their current offerings and it's having a mini resurgence under the new CEO.

I've like Anonimo - bold designs and very much their own thing. Maybe that's why they haven't done so well over the years, not following the herd ;)

I like the watch you have incoming, I also saw they have a white dial which also looks nice. Not particularly cheap, but Anonimo have always made very robust watches.

Enjoy life in Greece, having spent time in Crete a few years ago, I totally get the allure to the slower pace of life in Greece (plus the excellent produce).

Old school members indeed. I only "miss" the 389 i had twice over, i nearly bought another last week but reined myself back even at the price offered. I just couldn't see the value in it anymore. Hopefully the Anonimo will tick the boxes. If it doesn't it can go back and life will continue as it has in recent years. Either way karma is the way forward

Old school members indeed. I only "miss" the 389 i had twice over, i nearly bought another last week but reined myself back even at the price offered. I just couldn't see the value in it anymore. Hopefully the Anonimo will tick the boxes. If it doesn't it can go back and life will continue as it has in recent years. Either way karma is the way forward
    the 305 and the immediate follow-ups are still my favourite subs, but I agree pricing is a bit crazy and not much perceived value in most main stream brands -Panerai are not the only guilty party.

Look forward to seeing your Anonimo, fingers crossed!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just had an email to say its been delayed, delivery will be on Monday now.

Blog Entries
    Go in good health mate and hopefully enjoy your Anonimo i have owned a few over the years not sure about the current crop but certainly the original crop were and are innovative,original and very well built..
    Anyway enjoy your new lifestyle
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Welcome back!

That is a cracking looking watch and I’ll be interested to read your opinion when you get it. 45.5mm is larger than any watch I’ve owned though I can’t find anywhere advising the height/thickness. That turquoise is stunning though

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As another ‘lifer’ here I remember your epic PAM collection well, shadowman. Good to see you back even if it’s just a drop-in.

While you’ve been away I’ve scratched the Panerai itch (with a really lovely limited edition 00156), and also flirted with the possibility of an Anonimo, although I’ve never acted on it. That one has a really summery feel about it - nice catch...

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

A half hearted update. Watch arrived on schedule.

I am cursed with an OCD nature but I believe i can be pretty unlucky in some respects too. Anonimo are presented in a travel type case with a flip top stud fixing, this sits in a tray inside the bigger box. When opened the watch was just loose "rattling" around inside the main box.

Initially I though OK not great but no obvious issues. It would seem that the stud secured pouch had not been snapped shut and in transit it all came open and the watch fell out. On closer inspection there are some rubs on the lower left lug, i assume these are from the stud of the pouch/case.

Anyway rather than drone on, its going to be returned. To answer one question, the case thickness is circa 9mm so its nice and slim. The bezel isnt lumed nor is the rehaut which pictures had suggested to me anyway they might be.

Overall I like it and without damage I would have kept it.

I am cursed with an OCD nature but I believe i can be pretty unlucky in some respects too. Anonimo are presented in a travel type case with a flip top stud fixing, this sits in a tray inside the bigger box. When opened the watch was just loose "rattling" around inside the main box.

Initially I though OK not great but no obvious issues. It would seem that the stud secured pouch had not been snapped shut and in transit it all came open and the watch fell out. On closer inspection there are some rubs on the lower left lug, i assume these are from the stud of the pouch/case.

Anyway rather than drone on, its going to be returned. To answer one question, the case thickness is circa 9mm so its nice and slim. The bezel isnt lumed nor is the rehaut which pictures had suggested to me anyway they might be.

Don't blame you - a brand new watch should be that, brand new with no issues. Not considering getting a replacement for it, or is it back to the drawing board?

Master

Welcome back to the mad house.... sorry to hear about your new dilemma.... nothing worse than having your expectations dashed by poor packaging and the resulting disappointment.

Are you going to replace like for like or reconsider now you’ve had the chance to view?

Mike 👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont think I can be ar$ed with a replacement, nor is there time really.

It's a reminder of why I lost interest and simply haven't bothered for a few years. The passion died long since and now i think all summoned enthusiasm has too.

Not a major issue though, just disappointing when expectations aren't met.