closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPhone SIM to eSIM?

iPhone SIM to eSIM?

I want to use an eSIM on my iPhone XS using number I already have on physical SIM. Already with EE and have new eSIM from them.

Instructions seem a bit vague and assume eSIM will be for a different number. Do I just have to take old SIM out first and carry on. Don't want it to go tits up and w/o a phone for a few days

It's a bit of a pain in the ass process that I've done twice with EE.

The first time, they sent me the eSim pack by post and I scanned the QR code which adds a new data plan to the phone. You've got to be careful not to delete this because each QR-code is valid only once so if you mess up you end up having to get another pack sent to you. After you've done all this, you phone ee and get them to action a 'sim swap' which transfers you account from the physical sim to the data plan eSim on your phone. You can then remove and throw away the old physical sim.

The second time I did it, they insisted I went into the store to do get the eSim pack and have the sim swap actioned there...to be honest, it was easier doing it this way.

The eSIM pack you've got won't be for a different number, but you will have to speak to EE customer services to transfer your account from the physical sim to the eSIM once you've added it to the phone. You can keep your old sim in your phone until customer services have actioned the transfer. Once they do, it instantly disables the old sim (but can take up to a couple of hours to active the eSIM).
    Last edited by Christian; 24th June 2020 at 20:18.

Thanks for that C. As I already have eSIM I’ll install that and try over phone. Easier than visiting a store at the moment.

is it possible to have an e sim and a physical sim in one iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Latest iPhones you can, guess others too.

Will have main number on eSIM leaving slot free for travel SIMs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Latest iPhones you can, guess others too.

Will have main number on eSIM leaving slot free for travel SIMs etc.
    That’s great thanks, hopefully can turn off either as well (work number!)

Craftsman
    Not all carriers support eSIM though, check with your provider.
    Last time I checked voda does offer this despite it being promised 2 years ago at XS launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    Not all carriers support eSIM though, check with your provider.
    Last time I checked voda does offer this despite it being promised 2 years ago at XS launch.
    That's true, list here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209096

Only EE and O2 of main carriers in UK. Believe Vodaphone supports some smart watches only.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 25th June 2020 at 01:08.

Master
    What’s the benefit of an e-sim?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    What’s the benefit of an e-sim?
    Firstly, take up no physical space (obviously) so useful space saving for a watch or for a phone to be dual SIM where otherwise might only be room for 1 (and nothing physically to fail).
    Secondly, can have multiple eSIMs installed and to be able to activate any of them as needed.

Master
    Interesting, didn't know this existed!

Master
    Firstly, take up no physical space (obviously) so useful space saving for a watch or for a phone to be dual SIM where otherwise might only be room for 1 (and nothing physically to fail).
    Secondly, can have multiple eSIMs installed and to be able to activate any of them as needed.
    Thanks, very interesting; no idea they existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I use mine so that I have the cheapest wordwide data coverage possible. My main contract is with EE but I have that on an eSIM and install a physical Three SIM. This means I can take advantage of Three roaming where they provide roaming data and EE don't. It also means I have the option to switch if the signal/coverage is better on Three than EE.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Yes, I use mine so that I have the cheapest wordwide data coverage possible. My main contract is with EE but I have that on an eSIM and install a physical Three SIM. This means I can take advantage of Three roaming where they provide roaming data and EE don't. It also means I have the option to switch if the signal/coverage is better on Three than EE.
    That’s exactly what my head was thinking. Well when I can roam again!

If I wasn't tied to Vodafone through Spotify I would be doing the same thing. I have a dual SIM phone now but this really limits your options as there aren't many around. An e-SIM would really open me up to more choice but Vodafone will only supply for an Apple watch and work won't allow me to swap my EE physical SIM for an e-SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If I wasn't tied to Vodafone through Spotify I would be doing the same thing. I have a dual SIM phone now but this really limits your options as there aren't many around. An e-SIM would really open me up to more choice but Vodafone will only supply for an Apple watch and work won't allow me to swap my EE physical SIM for an e-SIM.
    There’s not much choice in eSIMs, a dual (normal) SIM phone is probably just as good, if not better, for most users.

There’s not much choice in eSIMs, a dual (normal) SIM phone is probably just as good, if not better, for most users.
    Not sure how it would be better but certainly more straight forward if that's what you mean by better? The Google Pixel would be my phone of choice if it had a dual SIM option or if I could have done of my SIMs moved to e-SIM, but I can't so my options are limited. I'll probably cave in and get an S20 at some point because the camera on any OnePlus is terrible - even with GCam installed.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not sure how it would be better but certainly more straight forward if that's what you mean by better? The Google Pixel would be my phone of choice if it had a dual SIM option or if I could have done of my SIMs moved to e-SIM, but I can't so my options are limited. I'll probably cave in and get an S20 at some point because the camera on any OnePlus is terrible - even with GCam installed.
    Better in that there's just a lot more choice in standard SIMs, no reason why eSIMs have to be less straightforward.

TBH you'd think that standard SIMs could be done away with altogether in future, just seem unnecessary if eSIMs are presumably just as secure.

Master
    Yes, depending on the phone. IPhone X, yes, XS, no, 11pro, yes, haven’t checked the other 11 series

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Yes, depending on the phone. IPhone X, yes, XS, no, 11pro, yes, haven’t checked the other 11 series

No, X, no, XS, yes.