closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ID Guy's review of the Smiths Air Ministry

ID Guy's review of the Smiths Air Ministry

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Nice to see the Navigators alongside the PRS-29 models. Gives some perspective on size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice review - and super watch.....really makes me kick myself harder that I missed out on the Black Dialled one...c'est la vie
    Last edited by KAS118; 24th June 2020 at 16:42.

Journeyman
    Superb video.

The nostalgia factor of the AM is very high. IDGuy perfectly described it.

As a aficianado who was an early lover of the Mark XII, but never actually bought one (I did however get an IWC UTC in the past), I had always loved that XII/XI style; however the PRS-29A is the signature Smiths watch IMO for historical accuracy and authentically Smiths aesthetics. The AM on the other hand is really a nice complement. I never planned initially to get both; I started wanting the AM, then as I thought about the A, it really dawned on me that I would kick myself if I didn't jump on the A, just like I didn't jump on getting the XII. Later editions of the A with a Sellita movement just wouldn't be the original any more, and would be far far less valuable because ETA movements can't be had any more, just like the IWC 884/JLC 889.

The AM and A don't compete with one another for tugging at the heartstrings. They certainly do for wrist time, but you want to wear them for very different reasons. For me, going on a pleasant road trip for a spot of lunch demands the AM, whereas hiking demands the A.What I love about these watches is that they are built as sports watches. I don't like mediocre "dress watches" that have basic WR. I like that Eddie made these with antimagnetic cages unlike other military homages. Antimagnetism is essential to the DNA of a MoD-issued watch. Modern 'military inspired' watches without such cages to me is like buying a kit Ferrari with a 4 banger. It really annoys me in fact, because it isn't rocket science to include this feature and yet manufacturers just leave it out like it doesn't matter.

It does matter though. Buy a compass and a cheap $10 degausser from amazon, and check for magnetism daily and you'll be surprised that your watch will pick up a slight magnetic field within a day if you use a laptop. The field won't yet be enough to affect accuracy, but it is nevertheless surprising (and over time the level of magnetism will accumulate). I go on about magnetism, but the point is that the AM is such a beautiful dressy watch that evokes such nostalgia and it has an antimagnetic cage: that is outstanding. I love having a good well-made tool.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 24th June 2020 at 17:32.

Terrific review of the AM. Now they will all be gone on Sunday.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Terrific review of the AM. Now they will all be gone on Sunday.

Get one while you can - they are such great watches and once the ETA’s have gone it’ll be a long time (if ever) before they will be available again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the AM a while back, and currently it is my only TF watch.
    I am waiting for others.....
    It does something in my collection that nothing else does, but on terms that I appreciate. Which makes it great, IMHO.
    My watches vary in design, but all are competent. I try to buy them to wear, which means they need to be capable.
    What the AM brings to this party is elegance. Genuinely so, with the fine shaping of the blued hands making beautiful little reflections in sunlight.
    But it achieves this elegance whilst being usably waterproof and having anti-mag properties.
    As it says in the review, it is very quietly restrained, confident in its abilities but without raising its voice.
    Just my type of thing.
    Dave

I have to add that I know at least 2 people who have bought one as a result of actually examining my one at a GTG. It really does impress when you handle one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I bought the AM a while back, and currently it is my only TF watch.
    I am waiting for others.....
    It does something in my collection that nothing else does, but on terms that I appreciate. Which makes it great, IMHO.
    My watches vary in design, but all are competent. I try to buy them to wear, which means they need to be capable.
    What the AM brings to this party is elegance. Genuinely so, with the fine shaping of the blued hands making beautiful little reflections in sunlight.
    But it achieves this elegance whilst being usably waterproof and having anti-mag properties.
    As it says in the review, it is very quietly restrained, confident in its abilities but without raising its voice.
    Just my type of thing.
    Dave

I have to add that I know at least 2 people who have bought one as a result of actually examining my one at a GTG. It really does impress when you handle one.
    That is a great tribute to a genuinely great timepiece Dave. It sounds as if it is definitely a keeper.

ID Guy's review of the Smiths Air Ministry

Excellent review, will have to make every effort to purchase one now especially after missing out on the PRS-29A. Eddie how many do you have remaining?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Very good review. Worth watching not least for the history lesson. I've worn my Air Ministry constantly for 18 months so he's preaching to the converted a bit. Olive canvas? Er, no thanks, but each to their own and all that. Has to be light brown pigskin for me. Black leather works very well too, if a bit 'boring'.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post

Has to be light brown pigskin for me. .....
    Pictures or it never happened.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Has to be light brown pigskin for me.
    Sounds about right to me. More of a gentleman's watch than the boys watch it resembles on a nato.

Ive worn mine almost everyday for the last couple years or so. It did two tours to Australia, several festival runs and a load of smaller gigs when i was a guitar tech/roadie /stage manager (before coronavirus killed the music business.... anyone remember home taping?)
    The strap is a fleurys from france, via ebay. It doesnt smell as bad as it should.

The case has got a fair number of dings/character/stories and the movement keeps time to-3 secs a day as long as its on my right wrist.

Stunning watch. One of my alltime favourites.
    Cheers!
    Rich
    /edit- its a light brown pigskin strap...
    Last edited by Synthpunk; 3rd July 2020 at 21:58. Reason: Added strap details

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good to see it being used,I prefer a darker rich brown for mine.

Or maybe a Kuki Flex Ostrich in brown.
    Not that it ever happened.