closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - 5015 Automatic in Blue - a mini review

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - 5015 Automatic in Blue - a mini review

Another Blancpain thread, and why not. We have had reviews of the standard Black 45mm FF and the various limited editions do tend to get some coverage as well, so this time I am focusing on the Blue dialled versions of the 45mm Automatic.

To most people buying a FF is probably no different to buying a Rolex Submariner, with the vast majority of people not looking beyond the standard Black version. That is the watch with the history and it is drilled into us that stainless steel is king and in most cases that is probably true.

In recent years Blancpain have released two different Blue dialled versions of the popular 45mm automatic diver. One comes in a steel case with a stunning Guilloché dial and the second is in a titanium (ti) case with an equally interesting sunburst deep colour.

The steel version:

The titanium version:

The steel version like its Black cousin comes with a choice of wrist gear, Sailcloth and buckle (052a), Sailcloth and deployant (052b) and bracelet (X71 or just 71 in the reference number).

The titanium is slightly different. You have a choice of a Blue Sailcloth with a signed buckle (052a) or a NATO strap. Really Blancpain, bunging a NATO strap on a watch listed at £12.5k is a bit of a joke in my opinion.

The good news for those in the market is that a titanium bracelet has been made:

https://blancpainblog.com/timepieces...fifty-fathoms/

Now that looks one stunning piece of kit, but I'm guessing you won't get much change out of £3k.

So that's what's out there, but you have to seriously ask yourself "why do I want a Blue FF". This is after all on a par with buying a TT Submariner. Sure, they are provided for the market place, but only a small percentage of the models buyers will actually want one.

I'm guessing that the vast majority of people looking to buy a FF would look no further than the standard Black dial and that is fine with me.

My reasons for wanting a Blue one for the record are that in general I have always preferred Blue dialled watches over Black, even as a kid and secondly, as I push on with trying to put together my end game trilogy it fits in with my bonkers criteria. Only one of each brand, each dial must be a different colour and as far as possible each Watch should have slightly different functions. Being already sorted on the Black three hand diver front my next quest was to find a Blue dialled watch. Having previously owned and sold a Black dial FF I was interested at having a look at the Blue offerings.

I was initially interested in the steel version. I think the thought of getting one on a bracelet took over a little. I spent many hours staring at pictures of that 'fancy pants' dial and the more I looked at it the bigger the risk factor seemed to become. What if it didn't live up to expectations, what if I didn't bond. We all know how to bond with our kids, but sometimes it's not so easy with watches.

The nail in the coffin for me came in an old review of the Black FF by Martyn of this parish a few years back when he stated that the weight of his on a bracelet was around the 200 gram mark. Now we all have our own red flags for things we will and will not accept, but anything that heavy is now a no no for me. I feel that I am no longer wearing a watch, more like dragging it around strapped to my wrist.

Also, with weight as a key consideration, the titanium became an even stronger front runner. I have owned Seiko titanium watches that weighed next to nothing and even one that brought my wrist out in a rash, so the lighter weight seemed like a key consideration.

Everything that has been written about the Black is true, it doesn't wear like a 45mm watch, it is shaped like a hamburger and it is as smooth as a baby's bottom. However, it can look a little blingy on occasions with that highly polished case. Just think how people on here get upset about central polished links on a bracelet - imagine the whole Watch being made out of the same stuff. Sunglasses time...

Anyway, I took the plunge and bought the titanium version. First thoughts were what a lump. The watch has some heft to it and when you think only the case is made of titanium, the movement, crystal and dial are all contributing to the weight. It is absolutely stunning and the Blue in strong light just looks like a small swimming pool. The case is brushed which removes any blingyness and there is a crystal on the reverse so that you can see the movement.

Size is still the same, the hamburger is still there, but for me the titanium is not quite as smooth. Around the lugs and the edges of the crown there is definately a harsher feel than the steel case. It's not an issue at all, I suspect if you had the two side by side and rubbed your fingers over them you might conclude that the steel version felt ever so smoother - but small margins, we are talking Blancpain afterall.

I did put the Watch on the scales and it came out at 96 grams. That is enough for me as the Watch feels just fine as is. I think the titanium bracelet would add too much for my liking, but might be okay for those who do like a heavier watch. The plus side is that I don't have to think about buying that £3k bracelet now.

Another issue that puzzles me is people's dislike of the Blancpain branding on the 9 o'clock side of the case. I love it and generally you don't see it. If you look at the time, the bezel ever so slightly protrudes over the case edge covering it. In fact if you want to look at you need to hold you arm straight and look down to see it. Not an issue for me at all.

I would have liked them to have issued this watch as a 052b with the deployant, but if you read the bracelet article the clasp on the titanium bracelet will be made of steel, so maybe there is an issue with making a deployant in full titanium.

Conclusion: I am very happy with the Watch, the colour is stunning and the lume is wonderful. You can trust Blancpain to get little details right, like the backing colour of the date wheel.

I think both the Blue versions are very much marmite watches and I would urge anyone to seriously consider why they want the Blue version before they jump in. As stated earlier the Black version will tick most people's boxes.

Here are a few snaps

Finally, to all you guys 'on the list' you can buy these today at 30% discount.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 24th June 2020 at 13:01.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Ken for that detailed and honest review. Where do you get the 30% discounts - I guess not from a boutique?

these do work so well at 45mm - as the lug-lug across the watch is short.

I do wonder why high end brands do not include some easy adjustment in their bracelets as standard - for the price point they really should.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thank you Ken for that detailed and honest review. Where do you get the 30% discounts - I guess not from a boutique?
    Thanks Martyn, I ordered the watch through Heritage Watches in London. The list price on the Blue titanium is an eye watering £12.5k, Heritage had the Watch listed on e-bay and Chrono24 for around £9.4k. As both those sites carry sellers fees, I contacted Heritage direct and asked for their best price and was offered my watch for £8,650. I had to pay in full up front and they then ordered the Watch, but I had it a week later.

It came from an Italian AD who have a full website and have the watch listed at €15,000!!!

I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've discussed the watch before, but it really is a fab version of the FF. You can see the effect of the short lugs in the wrist shot pic. Any longer and you may have had a problem, but just right here. The restrained dial effect also works better here as well.

Question - is the strap held by some proprietary system? It doesn't look like spring bars and screws can gall with titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Question - is the strap held by some proprietary system? It doesn't look like spring bars and screws can gall with titanium.
    Blancpain famously don't use spring pins on the FF. They use a bar that holds the strap or bracelet to the watch head and the ends are fastened with screws that you need their special alum keys to undo.

An interesting review. The 45mm black dial SS FF is a model that I have tried on a couple of times, but have been put off by the polished finish and not being a watch that would readily fit under a cuff.

Having looked at yours I am thinking that a brushed case in titanium would be a better option for me.

Ken what is the lug to lug please, as it is probably at the upper end of what I would comfortably wear on a 7” wrist?

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post

Ken what is the lug to lug please, as it is probably at the upper end of what I would comfortably wear on a 7” wrist?
    Lug to lug is approximately 51mm. Case thickness in the blurb is 15mm.

My wrist is 7.25" so not a lot of difference.

Master
    As I’ve already told Ken, I’ve been looking at this for a while (so much for consolidation). Something about Blancpain - quality and stunning springs to mind!

Master
    This was mine - sold earlier this year. Absolutely stunning watch, and having had the black dial / steel I much preferred this one.

There is another blue dial model though - the ‘red gold’ with blue ceramic (and one just bought by Kash), but that is on another level altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    This was mine - sold earlier this year. Absolutely stunning watch, and having had the black dial / steel I much preferred this one.

There is another blue dial model though - the ‘red gold’ with blue ceramic (and one just bought by Kash), but that is on another level altogether.
    I was aware of the Red Gold version, but as you say another level altogether.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I was aware of the Red Gold version, but as you say another level altogether.

And hence my sales post!😉

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    And hence my sales post!😉
    Have been speaking to Kash too, Simon?? 😂

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Have been speaking to Kash too, Simon?? 
    He is a bad influence. Hence my recent 979!😉

Master
    I really need to try one of these on as I have always been a fan but 45mm is a lot larger than I usually wear. If they really do wear smaller then there might be some hope!

Nice little write up, thanks for sharing and congrats on the watch.

Have to ask, do you have the third piece in your end game trilogy already picked out and what is it? :-)

Master
    Have been speaking to Kash too, Simon?? 
    Ha ha I’ve spoken to him too - that gold one is really stunning and very very tempting. I’ve enough tied up I’m watches so I’m going for a blue ceramic minus the gold :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Ha ha I’ve spoken to him too - that gold one is really stunning and very very tempting. I’ve enough tied up I’m watches so I’m going for a blue ceramic minus the gold :-)
    I understand Kash now seconds for Panerai and BP sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Have to ask, do you have the third piece in your end game trilogy already picked out and what is it? :-)
    No, not yet. I did think of a Milgauss GV, but that would mean two Rolex, so no. I was thinking maybe something with a moonphase and I have already owned two of the Omega Speedmasters with a moonphase so not sure about having a third and I have Blue covered with the FF. A JLC triple date ticks many boxes, a brand I've never owned before, moonphase, almost a dress watch with a light coloured dial and not crazy money second hand. In no rush, it will be at least a year or more before I start thinking seriously about the third Watch.

I like your thinking, you've had some nice watches so will be interesting to see what you decide on. Absolutely no rush either as you say, means you can enjoy the Blancpain for a while too - congrats again.

Nice review, Ken, and it’s good to see Blancpain getting due recognition on TZ these days. I’m a big fan.

This might be of interest to anyone considering ordering one of these from Heritage Watches. Stephen (Devonian) was quoted a slightly higher price than I had paid. I advised him to go back to Heritage quoting my name and the price I bought for and the fact that we had discussed it on here to see if they would be prepared to match the price.

Luckily for him they agreed and a fairly decent chunk of cash came off the price. This of course involves ordering direct from Heritage and paying in full up front by credit or debit card and then waiting for delivery.

If you bought the same watch as listed by them from e-bay or Chrono24 you would have to pay a lot more as those sales platforms obviously include sellers fees.

Just a thought, but if anyone else can be helped then good - just PM me for details if interested.

That is a gorgeous watch. And now I'm adding up the value of everything I've got...

Nah, it's not on the cards for me right now, but it's a "some day" thing for sure.

That is an absolute cracker, would love a Blancpain.
    It would be the blue for me as well.
    At the price you got it for it seems like a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    That is a gorgeous watch. And now I'm adding up the value of everything I've got...

Nah, it's not on the cards for me right now, but it's a "some day" thing for sure.
    Not sure if Blancpain have ever done a watch with a skull on it

Master
    how do you find it wears Ken? im seriously considering selling one of my rolexes (maybe GMTc) to buy the black dialled version,

everyone says they wear smaller than 45mm but is that the case, and are they comfy or does it still feel like a big watch?

Not sure if Blancpain have ever done a watch with a skull on it
    Shush you!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    how do you find it wears Ken? im seriously considering selling one of my rolexes (maybe GMTc) to buy the black dialled version,

everyone says they wear smaller than 45mm but is that the case, and are they comfy or does it still feel like a big watch?
    I have owned other 45mm watches and the FF certainly feels smaller than those due to the curved lugs, but it is still a big watch in all honesty. I would suggest that it is on a par with something like a 42mm Speedmaster in size.

All depends what you are used to and what your limits are, if you are comfortable with the 40mm Rolex, then the FF is obviously bigger. That said, if someone was walking around in a SD43 or a DSSD then they would have nothing to worry about moving to a FF.

My wrists are 7.25" if that is of any use.

Master
    All this talk of Heritage Watches deals and how the FF wears smaller than the stated dimensions is making my wallet itchy! I'm not convinced it will fit my wrist though so wouldn't want to order anything without trying it.

Anyone know where one could try one on for size in the City (of London!)? Would be nice to drop in to try one after work. Had a quick Google but no obvious answers of anywhere with one in stock now. Obviously WF could probably order one in but their prices are a lot more than Heritage for a used one or if I brave public transport I could get to the Bond St boutique.

The great irony is that Heritage Watches are literally round the corner from work but you can't view/collect things there!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    All this talk of Heritage Watches deals and how the FF wears smaller than the stated dimensions is making my wallet itchy! I'm not convinced it will fit my wrist though so wouldn't want to order anything without trying it.

Anyone know where one could try one on for size in the City (of London!)? Would be nice to drop in to try one after work. Had a quick Google but no obvious answers of anywhere with one in stock now. Obviously WF could probably order one in but their prices are a lot more than Heritage for a used one or if I brave public transport I could get to the Bond St boutique.

The great irony is that Heritage Watches are literally round the corner from work but you can't view/collect things there!
    Try the Blancpain boutique in New Bond Street, they had the steel and blue titanium FF last time I was in there.

Craftsman

That looks familiar!
    The very reason I was drawn to this watch is the fact it is not polished and the titanium case. I am a sucker for a blue dial too.
    Although it is 45mm it definitely doesn't look it. As already stated it feels more like 42mm.
    I may look into the bracelet but at circa £3k it would have to be given some consideration.
    edit: just checked the list price with bracelet is £14,730 against £12,660 with sailcloth.
    I did buy a new longer strap from the Bond Street boutique as the standard one was a bit short for me. All things considered at about £200 wasn't too bad a price. In comparison a pair of the 'springbars' or what ever the correct term is were £120. I passed on those!
    Anyway a quick snap of mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by noidea; 26th June 2020 at 21:04.

Craftsman
    The Heritage web site is doing my head in ..... so many lovely Panerai too .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks for the write up, I enjoyed that.
    Would definitely be my choice of metal and dial colour too - I managed to get an electric blue SMP in Titanium last year and think it's a similarly good looking combo.

I'd love the Blancpain, but the 45mm would never fit me and the 40mm variants I like are all LEs I think. Oh well.

Good review of a truly lovely watch, Ken.

I really don't see how I'm going to manage to afford an FF without liquidating some watches that I'm very attached to, but I continue to hanker after one big time.

I'm a fan of blue dialled watches anyway, and yours is the pick of the versions of the FF that Blancpain sell, in my opinion. Rose gold doesn't work for me (thank God!), and although I can appreciate the craftsmanship I really don't like that guilloche dial in your first photo.

I'm impressed at the deal you got, too.

Looks like you're going to end up with a lovely trio, the way you're going.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    I'd love the Blancpain, but the 45mm would never fit me
    Have you actually tried one on? I only ask as my wrists are puny and they actually wear really well. Very nicely balanced with no overhang due to short lug to lug distance.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Good review of a truly lovely watch, Ken.

I really don't see how I'm going to manage to afford an FF without liquidating some watches that I'm very attached to, but I continue to hanker after one big time.

I'm a fan of blue dialled watches anyway, and yours is the pick of the versions of the FF that Blancpain sell, in my opinion. Rose gold doesn't work for me (thank God!), and although I can appreciate the craftsmanship I really don't like that guilloche dial in your first photo.

I'm impressed at the deal you got, too.

Looks like you're going to end up with a lovely trio, the way you're going.

Simon
    Thanks Simon,

A bit of consolidation is the way to go. There must be a few watches in the box that don't get worn that often. I don't tend to concentrate on those going, they are a means to an end, more on what's coming in.

Ken

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A quick FF question. I think I know the answer. Does the watch come with the hex-type key to remove the strap? I think not, based on my past ownership of the SS model A few years back. But things might have changed, or it was missing from my particular one. Thanks.

Master
    A quick FF question. I think I know the answer. Does the watch come with the hex-type key to remove the strap? I think not, based on my past ownership of the SS model A few years back. But things might have changed, or it was missing from my particular one. Thanks.
    Don’t think so.
    I believe Blancpain supply a strap changing kit for a couple of hundred euros, but you can purchase a couple of multi head screwdriver kits for just a few quid from a supplier such as Maplin which include hex heads.
    I Know this as I had to purchase a couple to adjust the bracelet on my Bathyscaphe

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Don’t think so.
    I believe Blancpain supply a strap changing kit for a couple of hundred euros, but you can purchase a couple of multi head screwdriver kits for just a few quid from a supplier such as Maplin which include hex heads.
    I Know this as I had to purchase a couple to adjust the bracelet on my Bathyscaphe
    Thank you.

Master
    You can get the suitable hex wrenches through Amazon at around 4 pounds posted. 0.9mm size.
    It is handy to have 3 hands to undo the bars tho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    You can get the suitable hex wrenches through Amazon at around 4 pounds posted. 0.9mm size.
    It is handy to have 3 hands to undo the bars tho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Thanks to you also. Do Amazon sell third hands too?

Craftsman
    Thanks to you also. Do Amazon sell third hands too?
    I bought 2 of these from eBay. Much easier to use than the hex keys and more feel too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193522466989

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I bought 2 of these from eBay. Much easier to use than the hex keys and more feel too.

Excellent, I might buy a pair although I have nothing to change over to at present. They would come in handy when that £3k bracelet hits the streets.

Could I ask: if anyone is going anywhere near a Blancpain dealership/boutique could they ask about the titanium bracelet, when it's out and actual cost. It's all guess work at present. Someone posted a while back that the steel X71 was around £2.5k and this bracelet is an upgrade on that with screws on the reverse.

Craftsman
    Excellent, I might buy a pair although I have nothing to change over to at present. They would come in handy when that £3k bracelet hits the streets.

Could I ask: if anyone is going anywhere near a Blancpain dealership/boutique could they ask about the titanium bracelet, when it's out and actual cost. It's all guess work at present. Someone posted a while back that the steel X71 was around £2.5k and this bracelet is an upgrade on that with screws on the reverse.
    I am going to email the same guy who sorted the longer strap at the Bond Street boutique. I will let you know the outcome.

I am going to email the same guy who sorted the longer strap at the Bond Street boutique. I will let you know the outcome.

Thank you. The other alternative is a Blue Sailcloth with brushed steel deployant. There is a guy on e-bay from Denmark selling them, but in his feedback someone has accused him of trading in fakes, so not ideal. Blancpain will also sell both but at silly money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Authentic...sAAOSw~zde04Jk

Anyone have an opinion on the listing?
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 28th June 2020 at 16:31.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I’d be interested in the blue sail cloth, but have no use for the deployant.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Good work. Thanks. Just ordered two of the same via Amazon.
    Last edited by Skyman; 28th June 2020 at 16:55.

Craftsman
    Good work. Thanks.
    I am not 100% sure but I think these are the same as Blancpain supply as their strap changing kit?

I am not 100% sure but I think these are the same as Blancpain supply as their strap changing kit?

Stupid question, but have you actually used these and undone the hex screws with them. I was looking at old watch forum threads on google and this subject has come up many times with people moaning that most don't work or bugger up the screw heads.

Just wanted to check before buying them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Certainly Wera are a quality brand.