closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - 5015 Automatic in Blue - a mini review

I bought a pair of these and they do the job perfectly. No damage to the hex screws.

https://cpc.farnell.com/wiha/42421/h...0mm/dp/TL20245

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Stupid question, but have you actually used these and undone the hex screws with them. I was looking at old watch forum threads on google and this subject has come up many times with people moaning that most don't work or bugger up the screw heads.

Just wanted to check before buying them.
    Yes I removed the strap and changed it to the longer version I bought.
    It makes life much easier as you can lay the watch flat and undo from each side. Using Allen keys you have to lift the watch head as you turn the key because of the 90 degree bend.
    The Wera 'screwdrivers' have a much better feel as you have to be careful not to overtighten. The threads are very small!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I bought a pair of these and they do the job perfectly. No damage to the hex screws.

https://cpc.farnell.com/wiha/42421/h...0mm/dp/TL20245
    Perfect, good quality tools also!

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    Yes I removed the strap and changed it to the longer version I bought.
    It makes life much easier as you can lay the watch flat and undo from each side. Using Allen keys you have to lift the watch head as you turn the key because of the 90 degree bend.
    The Wera 'screwdrivers' have a much better feel as you have to be careful not to overtighten. The threads are very small!
    Many thanks guys, always wise to check

Master
    Perfect, good quality tools also!

They're the mut's nuts.

Craftsman
    A great review and beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing your experience and pricing with Heritage too.

All the best,

Jon

Master
    Wallet breathed a sigh of relief this afternoon as I had a chance to go to WOS in Regent St and try on a FF. It was however far too large for what I am happy wearing on my 6.75' wrist and made the 41mm Seamaster I was wearing today look like the midsize version!

Part of the problem is that I generally wear watches between 38 and 40mm and my wrist is not particularly flat. If neither of those apply to you and you have a sub 7' wrist then I don't want to put you off trying it as it otherwise seemed a fantastic watch.

Will have to wait until a 40mm non LE version appears or get in quickly for the next LE!

In other news the staff to customer ratio in WOS at 3pm was around 10:1 and the assistant suggested that last week was fairly busy but this week was quite a lot quieter.

Craftsman
    I've yet to try on a big titanium watch. Blancpain is incredibly rare here and only few standard black FF around. Perhaps I'll meet somebody with a titanium planet ocean to see how it works. I also don't visit ADs so it'll have to be another enthusiast.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Wallet breathed a sigh of relief this afternoon as I had a chance to go to WOS in Regent St and try on a FF. It was however far too large for what I am happy wearing on my 6.75' wrist and made the 41mm Seamaster I was wearing today look like the midsize version!

Part of the problem is that I generally wear watches between 38 and 40mm and my wrist is not particularly flat. If neither of those apply to you and you have a sub 7' wrist then I don't want to put you off trying it as it otherwise seemed a fantastic watch.

Will have to wait until a 40mm non LE version appears or get in quickly for the next LE!

In other news the staff to customer ratio in WOS at 3pm was around 10:1 and the assistant suggested that last week was fairly busy but this week was quite a lot quieter.
    You certainly need either a large wrist or a smaller one with a particularly flat profile, if not that large. Fortunately, I have the latter.

Craftsman
    I received an email back about the titanium bracelet, apparently I was the 3rd person to enquire and they don't have a price yet. They will let me know.
    I also asked for the price for the deployant. In stainless steel, polished or brushed was £480.
    A titanium 'buckle' is £1850! Not sure if that refers to a titanium deployant, I will check tomorrow. If that is correct it doesn't sound like the bracelet is going to be anything like sensible money!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I received an email back about the titanium bracelet, apparently I was the 3rd person to enquire and they don't have a price yet. They will let me know.
    I also asked for the price for the deployant. In stainless steel, polished or brushed was £480.
    A titanium 'buckle' is £1850! Not sure if that refers to a titanium deployant, I will check tomorrow. If that is correct it doesn't sound like the bracelet is going to be anything like sensible money!

And in red gold? Perhaps the price of a ND sub?

Thanks. £1,850 for that FF buckle - wow. I don't think there is a titanium deployant because that link states that the clasp mechanism on the new titanium bracelet is made of steel. I think if you wanted to add a deployant you would just buy the brushed steel version at £480.

Keen to know the price on that bracelet now, but won't be rushing out to buy one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Good work. Thanks. Just ordered two of the same via Amazon.
    These look much more user friendly than the hex keys.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks. £1,850 for that FF buckle - wow. I don't think there is a titanium deployant because that link states that the clasp mechanism on the new titanium bracelet is made of steel. I think if you wanted to add a deployant you would just buy the brushed steel version at £480.

Keen to know the price on that bracelet now, but won't be rushing out to buy one.
    I was quoted £2.7K for the stainless steel bracelet when I enquired last September and fairly sure there has been a price rise since then! I imagine the titanium bracelet would be north of £3k. I'd contact Heritage Watches / the AD that supplied your watch to heritage and see what price they can do once the bracelet is available.

My Wera Hex screwdrivers turned up today. Less than £8 for both and two days delivery. I don't have any replacement straps, but at least I have the correct tools if needs be.

Master
    Have you actually tried one on? I only ask as my wrists are puny and they actually wear really well. Very nicely balanced with no overhang due to short lug to lug distance.
    I haven't but the lug-to-lug is a bit big for me.
    I can wear around 49mm, but bigger just looks too much.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My Wera Hex screwdrivers turned up today. Less than £8 for both and two days delivery. I don't have any replacement straps, but at least I have the correct tools if needs be.
    Mine are still in transit UK to France. But then again, like you, I have no additional straps as yet - but that is being rectified.

Craftsman

I had confirmation that the deployant is full titanium and the price quoted was £1850. I was sent pictures of the titanium and both the stainless versions (polished and brushed). From the pictures it certainly looks to be full titanium.
    I did query the huge price difference and he was going to double check. He did seem slightly surprised himself.
    I sent Heritage Watches an email asking if they could source the titanium bracelet also. I haven't heard back yet.
    If the price of the deployant is correct it might be cheaper to sell my watch on strap and buy a new watch with bracelet!

Craftsman

Glad they turned up quickly. Very good value for money too.

I had confirmation that the deployant is full titanium and the price quoted was £1850. I was sent pictures of the titanium and both the stainless versions (polished and brushed). From the pictures it certainly looks to be full titanium.
    I did query the huge price difference and he was going to double check. He did seem slightly surprised himself.
    I sent Heritage Watches an email asking if they could source the titanium bracelet also. I haven't heard back yet.
    If the price of the deployant is correct it might be cheaper to sell my watch on strap and buy a new watch with bracelet!
    It would be interesting to know how heavy the bracelet is on its own. The watch on the Sailcloth is 95 grams, but there must be some weight in the bracelet that would need to be added on.

I have the "real" black version (the "Dark Knight") which has a black pin buckle. One thing that has puzzled me (especially given the cost of some deployants) is why they don't have a micro-adjustment built into them ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=LukeBird;5465390]I haven't but the lug-to-lug is a bit big for me.
    I can wear around 49mm, but bigger just looks too much.[/

Lug to lug is 50. I have a 42mm that lug to lug is 51 so be sure of the right measurement, also thickness.

I actually had the strap changing kit at one time, and let it go with the No Radiations when I sold it. Had I even the slightest idea of what they cost...

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I actually had the strap changing kit at one time, and let it go with the No Radiations when I sold it. Had I even the slightest idea of what they cost...
    I remember someone selling one of those on here a few years back, like a square box with branding that held the watch head and tools to undo the hex bolts. I think even then it was several hundred pounds for what is really a simple bit of kit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    I haven't but the lug-to-lug is a bit big for me.
    I can wear around 49mm, but bigger just looks too much.
    Lug to lug is 50. I have a 42mm that lug to lug is 51 so be sure of the right measurement, also thickness.
    Yeah I've sold on a few chunkier watches for that very reason, a shame; one I'll just be admiring in pictures I think.
    All the 40mm variants I like are too rare and expensive unfortunately.

Thread resurrection time.

Having owned and sold the Blue dialled Titanium Fifty Fathoms I was still fascinated by the steel version with the Guilloché dial.

Earlier this year I had a clear out and was looking for something to replace the sold watches, more consolidation if you like. I kept an eye on the various market places and a few months back an opportunity arose to buy a UK based FF with the Guilloché dial.

The case is stainless steel which is vertically brushed, so gets over the bling effect of the fully polished steel FFs. The sailcloth strap is superb and with this watch being a 52B model it comes complete with the Blancpain deployant. The Blue titanium model is a 52A so has a standard buckle. The deployant really makes a difference.

The dial, what can I say. Clearly not to everyone’s taste and possibly a little fussy or over the top for some, but it is just beautiful and really pops in strong light.

This watch (5015 1140 52B) was discontinued around late 2018 and rarely comes on the market. Even on Chrono24 there are usually fewer than 10 available worldwide with nearly all being overseas that would incur the dreaded 20% VAT bill on top if you bought one.

This watch was also released at the time on a bracelet (71), but with it being steel that would push the combined weight well over 200g which for my tastes is a little too heavy.

Some photos:

Must make an effort to keep this one.

Ken

Very nice Ken
    The brushed finish does look better than the full polish of the standard watch.
    I must try a FF one day
    Nice to see you around the place!

Craftsman
    What a lovely resurrection of the thread. The brushed steel case looks fantastic and that dial is awesome. It is a real shame they discontinued this model, as it would probably have been the option for me, as a retirement present to myself. I narrowed it down to the current steel 5015 or the blue titanium that started this thread. In the end I went for the blue titanium as I prefer the brushed finish but when buying my wife insisted I had to put it away until I retire end of September. In the meantime this thread will help remind me just how beautiful the fifty fathoms is. Your new addition is very special!

Welcome back! A great resurrection of the thread and yourself.

I always enjoy your incomings as you’re a true hunter with PhD level research on anything before it lands on your wrist.

The dial is special there and the brushed finished is much more fitting. It's a really good combo.

I think in the old days everyone had to had a Panerai at some point to confirm their WISdom but these days I'd say it's Blancpain. I think one is inevitable at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Very nice Ken
    The brushed finish does look better than the full polish of the standard watch.
    I must try a FF one day
    Nice to see you around the place!
    Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    What a lovely resurrection of the thread. The brushed steel case looks fantastic and that dial is awesome. It is a real shame they discontinued this model, as it would probably have been the option for me, as a retirement present to myself. I narrowed it down to the current steel 5015 or the blue titanium that started this thread. In the end I went for the blue titanium as I prefer the brushed finish but when buying my wife insisted I had to put it away until I retire end of September. In the meantime this thread will help remind me just how beautiful the fifty fathoms is. Your new addition is very special!
    Thanks for this. The titanium is obviously a lot lighter and I think that makes picking up a titanium bracelet a real option without the weight being an issue. I wish you all the very best for a long and happy retirement and putting the watch on your wrist will be a damn good start to it.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Welcome back! A great resurrection of the thread and yourself.

I always enjoy your incomings as you’re a true hunter with PhD level research on anything before it lands on your wrist.

The dial is special there and the brushed finished is much more fitting. It's a really good combo.

I think in the old days everyone had to had a Panerai at some point to confirm their WISdom but these days I'd say it's Blancpain. I think one is inevitable at some point.
    Cheers for this, it was either a Seadweller of some description or a FF. It seems strange to me that a fair chunk of the Blancpain catalogue hasn’t been subject to the same level of madness that affects other brands. Maybe the Instagram crowd haven’t discovered the brand yet. Sure, the limited editions sell for double list or even more, but picking up a standard 45mm model is still fairly easy. Quality is absolutely superb and you also have the same level of history as the Submariner. You need to try one.

Master
    very nice indeed - that looks great!

Should add a bit about the buying experience, the guy who listed it for sale was in Knutsford so only about 30 mins from me. He offered to bring the watch to me, which was great. The guy turns up in a flash car with the number plate being his surname, which was quite impressive. He piles in, wants to know everyone’s name then starts telling me about his life, what he had done etc etc including being a key member of a consortium to buy out Everton Football Club.

At this point breathing was becoming difficult, he had consumed all the oxygen in the living room. He then presented me with a book that he had written about his working life and told me that he was good buddies with one of the Robinson family, who is a director of the firm and got regular calls to go in and pick up a nice Rolex. He showed me photos of several pieces, all were hot watches. Definitely a case of who you know, not what you know.

I think he had only worn the FF once or twice, which helps explain it’s exceptional condition. I did read his book, which was mostly about his career in Public Relations and how much money he had made.

Did beg the question, why would a guy like that sell a watch - who knows!

If you meet him again tell Skyman I said hi.

Master
    That’s lovely Ken.

Id forgotten until I saw this, so you’ve probably forgotten as well, but I never got my FF (I got a good deal thanks to you) in the end as due to lockdown, everything was shut down and the dealer couldn’t get it. He refunded me my deposit straight away. This was the thread that made me want one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    That’s lovely Ken.

Id forgotten until I saw this, so you’ve probably forgotten as well, but I never got my FF (I got a good deal thanks to you) in the end as due to lockdown, everything was shut down and the dealer couldn’t get it. He refunded me my deposit straight away. This was the thread that made me want one :-)
    I do remember that and I think those kind of deals don’t really exist any more or are much more expensive if they do. This was all pre-Brexit so no VAT to worry about if a watch was obtained from the EU. I recall the Blue titanium watch I ordered came from an Italian dealership.

Out of interest, when I bought this current one I was interested in where it had come from:

I did some research and it turns out that ‘Mercury’ is the biggest Blancpain Authorised Dealership in Russia.

Every time I take the watch off, it tries to invade the neighbours

Master
    Yep it was a very good deal and then he agreed to match the deal you had which made it a fantastic deal. Like you said, those sort of deals don’t exist anymore.

When he could t deliver sue to the lockdown a few weeks after, I looked about and ended up getting a silver dial Royal Oak - again due to lockdown. They weren’t getting the international travellers and I was
    Lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.