closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPad Pro - any users?

iPad Pro - any users?

Currently looking to upgrade my iPad and looking at the 12.9” for better versatility. Need cellular but not sure on whether 256 or 512 GB storage? Also is AppleCare + worth it?

Interested to know who has what and if happy with their set up.

I have the Ipad Pro 12.9 2018 1TB, with the smart keyboard and subscribe to word 365. I dont need cellular as i use the hotspot from my iphone and saves $$$. I use icloud to sync all my devices/ files across all devices. it is fabulous for work with an amazing battery life. i use it 50% of time, my desktop 20% and macbook pro 30%

Wouldn't bother with AppleCare+ as it's an insurance product, not a warranty and weirdly for an insurance product it doesn't cover loss.

If getting a keyboard I would have a look at Logitech and compare against the Apple equivalent. The Logitech keyboards are very good.

I have an 2018 11” iPad Pro with 256GB storage. I currently have 173GB free so I’d say 512GB is overkill unless you plan on storing original photos and videos on it.

I also have the Smart Keyboard Folio which I bought along with the iPad and the new Magic Keyboard which I got 2 months ago. The new keyboard is expensive but it transforms the device into a viable laptop replacement for what I do with a computer. The backlit keyboard works really well. The keys feel just like the standalone Magic keyboard. The trackpad is really handy too. I use the iPad in the keyboard roughly 80% of the time. It has replaced my 2012 MacBook Pro which was getting long in the tooth. I now only use that once a month to backup my photo library to Backblaze. I got Applecare+ for the breakage insurance. It covers the keyboard too.

I think you will be very happy with the 12.9” version, especially for multi tasking. You can run two apps side by side which are the saem size as an original iPad app. Split screen multi tasking on the 11” is a little more squashed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use an 11 pro.

Now Apple have (finally) started to make inroads into using a curser, I’ve bought a Brydge keyboard. Very impressed so far. Obviously it makes the iPad big and bulky but I’ve also got the Apple keyboard for travel, (not that I am at the minute!).

Great piece of hardware. It’s the best tablet on the market by quite a distance for me and the OS is finally catching up with the power and capabilities.

I love mine and don’t use a laptop at all for personal use now. Feels quality, fast and premium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd echo the above - I've used the 2018 12.9 version since release (went 1TB and cellular for as much future-proofing as possible) and I've also now got the magic keyboard after previously trying all the others (Logi, Brydge, Smart Keyboard Folio). The MK is ludicrously expensive but as a package along with the iPad and pencil it's absolutely brilliant. I use it every single day for just about everything and the trackpad support has made it even better. A really excellent bit of kit and my macbook pro now spends all its life connected to a keyboard and monitor.

Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I use an 11 pro.

Now Apple have (finally) started to make inroads into using a curser, I’ve bought a Brydge keyboard. Very impressed so far. Obviously it makes the iPad big and bulky but I’ve also got the Apple keyboard for travel, (not that I am at the minute!).
    I also have the original Brydge keyboard for my 11" iPad Pro, the one without the trackpad. I used this for more than a year and was very happy with it until I got the new MK with trackpad. The Apple keyboard is a lot better, although it is a lot more expensive. Did you get the Brydge keyboard with the trackpad? Does it fully support all the multitouch gestures yet? I know that when it first came out the 3 finger gestures on the MK weren't supported on the Brydge keyboard.

What would be the cost of a basic wifi ipad pro with keyboard ? Do the early model ones lack latest technology for word and excel funcrions?
    Looking for one for my son due to portability.

Master
    I had an early 9.7” (I think) pro and was fine with office suite, keyboard would make it even more so.

If laptop replacement though I’d be looking at the surface which seems to work better IMHO for office applications.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    What would be the cost of a basic wifi ipad pro with keyboard ? Do the early model ones lack latest technology for word and excel funcrions?
    Looking for one for my son due to portability.
    You may be better served getting a current iPad Air with Smart Keyboard than an early iPad Pro 9.7". The iPad Air is £479 and the keyboard is £159. It is missing trackpad support. You can use a bluetooth mouse or Magic Trackpad if you need that.

A refurbished previous model 11" iPad Pro is £779. A refurbished Air is £409 (currently gold only).

Any of these will be able to run Office apps as long as you have a Microsoft 365 subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    You may be better served getting a current iPad Air with Smart Keyboard than an early iPad Pro 9.7". The iPad Air is £479 and the keyboard is £159. It is missing trackpad support. You can use a bluetooth mouse or Magic Trackpad if you need that.

A refurbished previous model 11" iPad Pro is £779. A refurbished Air is £409 (currently gold only).

Any of these will be able to run Office apps as long as you have a Microsoft 365 subscription.
    Cheers

Craftsman
    I have the 2020 iPad Pro 11” 256Gb with 217Gb currently free. Way too much for my needs but bought to replace a 64Gb iPad Pro 10.5” that had a mic not working and I wanted to be able to facetime friends, children and grandchild over rage Internet during lockdown. Should remain current for a few years!

I have had various iPhones and iPads and I always buy those and any other electrical goods from John Lewis as you get 2 years minimum guarantee with them.

I had the original iPad Pro 12.9" which impressed me so much that I replaced it with the 2019 version. My original Pro was cellular but now I went for the 512gb wifi only and purchased a separate Three Mifi device which I can connect a number of devices to at once. This works out much cheaper and more versatile.

They're so good that I bought my mum and dad one each too.

I love my iPad Pro, which also (via “Duet”) doubles as a second screen for my laptop (and MacBook)

You can easily fill up the storage space with downloaded videos, even with 512gb.

Mine has the Apple foldaway keyboard, which is (for a touch-typist) - better than the keyboard on the MacBook !

I wouldn’t bother with a cellular model, to be honest - just get a mifi or connect via your phone.

Although I moved away from MacBook/iPhone - the IPad is a hard one to beat.

Good advice from you all.

Gone for the Space Grey, 12.9”, 512gb without cellular. Should be good for a few years.