closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Steeldive Watches - UK based outlet launched

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Feeling lazy can you tell us more as i would much prefer something a little more sterile
    Here's the sterile dial one - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c00DfKtDn&mp=1

Cheers.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Contacted mindforge and Steeldive (via Ali, very quick to respond). Indeed bronze version has matching lume blue on dial and bezel, steel versions have two colors now - no version with matching lume (currently) exists in steel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Here's the sterile dial one - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c00DfKtDn&mp=1

Cheers.

M
    Really enjoying mine, but do think I should have gone with the sterile dial.

Blog Entries
    Just emailed the UK agent re this model as i prefer it without but do not want to faf about with alliexpress, customs,charges etc

Quick update

“ Hi Martin
    Thanks for your purchase from Ebay.I don't supply the sterile version because I am trying to push the Steeldive brand and supplying the sterile doesn't really fit that.However I do get asked quite a lot so I may consider it.Thanks for your interest.
    Regards
    Matthew ”
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

What does UK agent actually mean in this context - Seems to be a guy with a gmail account? (no offensive intended)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    What does UK agent actually mean in this context - Seems to be a guy with a gmail account? (no offensive intended)
    http://www.steeldiveuk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post

Yes a guy with a gmail account (top left) - that site as currently written does not comply with UK law (and in fact is creating a lot of legal liability for the owner).
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 27th June 2020 at 13:19.

Master
    Could you care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post
    Could you care to explain?
    The legal liability?

* It's a requirement to provide Business Name and address - now it is likely that is SteelUK is the name but unless I'm missing it, no address?
    * Now it says there is a 30 day return to base but legally you have to tell people about statutory rights (I cannot find that anywhere on the site) so it's arguable that creates an ability to cancel an order upto 12 months which is what the law says you get if there is no description of statutory rights - so if he's reading this - he'd be better off changing it so it outlines both the statutory minimum and the 30 day RTB
    * You have to provide explicit information on right to cancel - does not seem to exist on the site.

It's unlikely in this type of case but not doing this sort of stuff leaves you open to fines and so on.

Yes a guy with a gmail account (top left) - that site as currently written does not comply with UK law (and in fact is creating a lot of legal liability for the owner).
    It's a .com domain, not a .co.uk and the IP location is California (Google).

Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post
    It's a .com domain, not a .co.uk and the IP location is California (Google).

As far as I'm aware - is based in the UK (websites can be registered pretty much anywhere)?

The postal and return policy makes no sense if based in US.

As far as I'm aware - is based in the UK (websites can be registered pretty much anywhere)?

Mathew Burgin is probably the UK agent. Company could be based in US.

Definitely UK based.

Master
    Soo.. what's the main issue with the whole thing?

I don’t see any issue.

Master
    @TaketheCannoli I was referring to previous posts.

To have company and webshop registered over here, you just need the business address and 12 sq foot of warehouse rented. Usually companies rent a palette space in warehouse which remains empty and business address can be in city with lower taxes, and the business itself can be run from living room.

Ah I see.

@TaketheCannoli I was referring to previous posts.

To have company and webshop registered over here, you just need the business address and 12 sq foot of warehouse rented. Usually companies rent a palette space in warehouse which remains empty and business address can be in city with lower taxes, and the business itself can be run from living room.

There is no issue - its chucking it down and I am killing time.

Master
    Let people have fun with their Steeldives.

Heimdallr also has EU based warehouse. I think somewhere in tax free zone.

For people who *must* have a sterile dial 6105, "Bluebommer" on ebay has them at a £premium - does take offers, paid £180 for mine. I'd rather pay over the odds than deal with Aliexpress and be robbed again.

Came in a Steeldive box, and the quality is amazing at the price.

Craftsman
    The UK shop is sold out of the steel tuna ,lots for sale at AliExpress how reliable are the suppliers ,will customs charges apply ,will all the watches be the same whoever supplies them
    Thanks for any advice as I have never bought on AliExpress before

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    ...lots for sale at AliExpress how reliable are the suppliers ,will customs charges apply ,will all the watches be the same whoever supplies them
    Just don't, be patient and deal with the UK dealer. Aliexpress is sh*te - if you ever actually get a watch at-all, much-less the one you ordered, you will usually get hit with taxes, duty and carrier charges on top. Please especially avoid "Allbai Store" on there - crooks and liars. Hazard a wild guess how I know this...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Just don't, be patient and deal with the UK dealer. Aliexpress is sh*te - if you ever actually get a watch at-all, much-less the one you ordered, you will usually get hit with taxes, duty and carrier charges on top. Please especially avoid "Allbai Store" on there - crooks and liars. Hazard a wild guess how I know this...
    Is that based on multiple experiences?

I bought my Heimdallr direct from Heimdallr. I paid customs fees, but it was still far less than £180 all in.

I never really understand why people bleat about customs fees, you're importing from outside the EU (this could be the norm for everywhere soon), so you will need to pay VAT and customs charges as you would if you bought something from the high street, just it's built in there...

Just be grateful you don't live in the States where prices are marked tax free and you pay more at the till... Stupid idea.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 28th June 2020 at 09:42.

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    The UK shop is sold out of the steel tuna ,lots for sale at AliExpress how reliable are the suppliers ,will customs charges apply ,will all the watches be the same whoever supplies them

Yes Steeldive is just a name slapped on a generic homage - there are at least six or seven 'brands' but the watches are all the same.

I too like the look of these steeldive watches .
    What does any body think of these Merkur 1000m
    I think they look pretty cool and good specs .

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

... I never really understand why people bleat about customs fees ...
    It's not difficult: people invariably kid themselves that they'll not have to pay it, and then get annoyed when they do.

It's not difficult: people invariably kid themselves that they'll not have to pay it, and then get annoyed when they do.
    Errr...

More fool them, then.

It's like moaning about your take home pay being less than your annual salary

M

Blog Entries
    Just bought one not the sterile but it can be ordered if you want to wait from

homage.watches on the Bay excellent comms and ordered today delivery tomorrow now there is a growing market and growing sales outlet based in the U.K. why buy from alliexpress or indeed direct and pay extra with the wait?
    Last edited by mart broad; 29th June 2020 at 13:57.

In my experience - with Creation watches twice in the past - my watch was stuck in customs for over a month whilst customs faffed around deciding what to bill me, a real PITA which stopped me buying anything from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People can buy from where they want, but I don't understand why people don't do a little research and understand that buying from abroad will, almost certainly, result in a fee on arrival, which is part of the reason for the lower price.

It does annoy me when eBayers (especially) pretend to be in the UK and then I have a long delay while something is shipped by camel train, but if I know something is coming from outside the UK (or EU) I factor in tax and don't expect it in a hurry.

Personally, I've never had any issues with long delays at customs, usually a couple of days at worst, sometimes just hours, and I used to regularly buy stuff from Hong Kong.

Homage.watches only seem to have two items listed on eBay, though, a couple of Pagani Design Rolex GMT-alikes.

There are plenty of horror stories, but as with cars, happy people rarely mention a successful experience.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 29th June 2020 at 14:50.

Errr...

More fool them, then.

It's like moaning about your take home pay being less than your annual salary

M
    Truth. But the World will never experience a Stupidity Famine...

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    In my experience - with Creation watches twice in the past - my watch was stuck in customs for over a month whilst customs faffed around deciding what to bill me, a real PITA which stopped me buying anything from them
    Not used Creation, but I find that anything at-all from the US seems to pick-up charges, ditto Aus and CH, but China only does when they put the a proper customs declaration on a packet. I suspect the sheer volume coming in from CN is so high, that smaller, lighter packets just go on a conveyor.

12 watches on the website, 6 out of stock.
    Has the TZ massif cleaned them out already ?

Pretty much, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Pretty much, yes.
    Agree was going to buy my MM300 from Matthew but out of stock so went homage watches also Cardiff based and now out of stock with them

First thoughts build quality is excellent the crown could be smoother but my PADI is also a little “ rough” again adjusting the hands could be smoother but again it’s not a Seiko overall very pleased.
    Last edited by mart broad; 30th June 2020 at 14:51.

I have a full set 'Turtle' that's currently sold out if someone wants to buy it? I got a Seiko in the EJ sale yesterday so can let this go.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post

On the UK site it says "30 day return to base warranty with Steeldive UK.

6 month warranty with Steeldive Factory."

I thought twelve months warranty was mandatory in the UK, Or am I missing something?

John

Craftsman
    I have the Seiko 1975 tuna on the bracelet ,I would like to get a rubber strap for it ,the question is will the standard spring bars that come with the rubber strap fit the watch or will I need the fat Seiko ones

My Steeldive 'sterile Marine Master' arrived today.

I ordered on the 15th June and it was with the Post Office for fee payment on the 23rd, which seemed pretty decent to me and it could have been with me within 10 days.

I had some problems with the Post Office fee system, but I got that sorted a couple of days ago (The PayPal transaction didn't seem to get processed by them, so they didn't think I'd paid - Which I hadn't as they hadn't taken the funds, although I had a PayPal receipt to say I'd placed an order and it was waiting for them to process it...) and it's just arrived.

It's a nice looking watch for £146 delivered - I like the lack of the Steeldive logo (It looks less cluttered this way) and case, dial and bezel look pretty decent quality (certainly at the price).

If I was quibbling, the crown and bezel feel a little cheap in action, but that is being picky really for a sub £150 watch.

As with most of these Chinese watches, I'm taking the 300M WR rating with a bag of salt - I might try diving with it sometime and see how I get on - Like the Seiko it 'homages', it's certainly a nice clear dial for diving.

M

This blurb from Aliexpress is charming:

FAQ

1. How to do if there is water inside the watch?

If there is only a small amount of water vapor inside the watch, the water vapor will automatically disappear over time, or wearing the watch on you wrist with upside down, Two hours later, the water vapor will automatically disappear. If there are some drops inside the watch, You should repair the watch for as soon as possible.

Thanks to [mention]TaketheCannoli [/mention] I ordered the 6105 homage. It landed today, I can’t get over the quality for £108. I bought the bracelet model but it also came with a rubber strap. I won’t wear either but wow. It’s great!

Tuna will be on order tonight!

Question

My Steeldive 'sterile Marine Master' arrived today.

I ordered on the 15th June and it was with the Post Office for fee payment on the 23rd, which seemed pretty decent to me and it could have been with me within 10 days.

I had some problems with the Post Office fee system, but I got that sorted a couple of days ago (The PayPal transaction didn't seem to get processed by them, so they didn't think I'd paid - Which I hadn't as they hadn't taken the funds, although I had a PayPal receipt to say I'd placed an order and it was waiting for them to process it...) and it's just arrived.

It's a nice looking watch for £146 delivered - I like the lack of the Steeldive logo (It looks less cluttered this way) and case, dial and bezel look pretty decent quality (certainly at the price).

If I was quibbling, the crown and bezel feel a little cheap in action, but that is being picky really for a sub £150 watch.

As with most of these Chinese watches, I'm taking the 300M WR rating with a bag of salt - I might try diving with it sometime and see how I get on - Like the Seiko it 'homages', it's certainly a nice clear dial for diving.

M

Hmmm!

What fees did the PO ask want?- Did you order the sterile one from abroad by chance?, I presume the Steeldive UK ones are posted from the UK?

John

Yes they’re posted from Cardiff.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hmmm!

What fees did the PO ask want?- Did you order the sterile one from abroad by chance?, I presume the Steeldive UK ones are posted from the UK?

John

Mine came from Aliexpress, so VAT and fees.

M

I don't understand what fees the PO want then! 🤔

I messaged them at the UK site to ask when the MM300 would be back in stock, The gent said it's likely to be four weeks as the factory are delayed (C19 most likely)!

I actually like the whole range so may end up buying one of each, I'll probably start selling some of my guns off to feed the addiction!!

John

I have the bronze 6105, seriously the bezel action is rock solid, better than many of the Seikos I have had. The finishing on the hands is excellent better even than the Seiko MM300 as the seconds hand is similarly finished to the minute and hour hand. Impressed with the lume too, it's better than the Seiko Tunas I have.

Regarding earlier comments, it appears that all China-based vendors routinely lie on their customs declarations.

My Sharkey Tuna arrived free of VAT, I have also fairly recently bought a number of accessories for my Alfa as well as watch straps from AliExpress and again, everything turned up without VAT charges...

In every case I had made the assumption that I would have to pay VAT and a handling charge and factored the cost in to decide whether it was still worth buying from there.

Had I known at the time that Matthew was selling Steeldive watches in the UK I would undoubtedly have bought a Tuna from him...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to reiterate, my watch came from AliExpress, hence the PO fees.

Another quick point, the sterile MM comes with a plain back too.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Master
    If these are comparing well to the Seikos they copy how do they stand up to the Smiths PRS-68 that are going for over £600 nowadays. Anyone had both? Big difference in price, the SD1970 only £105, for essentially the same watch. Always fancied the PRS-68 but now the Steeldive are easily accessible and with great reviews, I’m no longer sure it’s worth the premium. I do like the Great Britain aspect though.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    If these are comparing well to the Seikos they copy how do they stand up to the Smiths PRS-68 that are going for over £600 nowadays. Anyone had both? Big difference in price, the SD1970 only £105, for essentially the same watch. Always fancied the PRS-68 but now the Steeldive are easily accessible and with great reviews, I’m no longer sure it’s worth the premium. I do like the Great Britain aspect though.
    I don't have both, but I have had a few (and still have 2) TFs and I wouldn't say the quality of those is comparable to my Heimdallr, the TF watches are better made and finished.

However, as is often the way, whether they are 6 times better is very unlikely, the same way a Rolex Sub isn't worth 20 (or more!) Steinharts unless you're happy to pay for the name.

A bit like the Rolex (if to a lesser extent), a wisely bought Smiths PRS-68 will get you your money back all day (and maybe a surplus), a Steeldive/Heimdallr/Sharky won't see a return in 2 or 3 years time, I suspect.

Both my Steeldive watches (If we assume a Heimdallr IS the same thing) are excellent value for sub £150, though.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd July 2020 at 14:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Having owned and sold a PRS-68 in the past, I was intrigued by the SD1970 so picked up the one for sale on SC recently.

The watch itself I’d say is difficult to fault in fit form and function terms, with the addition of a well finished case and caseback, smooth tight bezel and smooth crown. Not just at the £105 price point, but PRS-68 price point as well.

The bracelet is less impressive, but then at the price I consider it a freebie to be honest. The solid links are good, and the clasp plain and functional, but the end links are a bit roughly finished inside and they’re what I’d describe as semi solid, rather than solid.

The lumed ceramic bezel would be better if it matched the dial lume as well, but if you remind yourself of the price point it’s easily forgivable. The dial itself has very well finished raised indices and the hands have no rough edges.

So yes, I’d say it compares very well to any other homage watch of this style, and can’t say I’d happily pay for anything more expensive to be frank.