closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Steeldive Watches - UK based outlet launched

I have a Heimdallr and im still scratching my head at the value. Looks like these are from the same factory as mentioned.

I keep thinking to myself they must leak water or have really shoddy idea of what qualifies as ceramic bezel inserts and sappire crystal.

Im planning on getting one of the Tuna models if they ever send me the $15 voucher they promised me for joining the newsletter. Still waiting a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I have a Heimdallr and im still scratching my head at the value. Looks like these are from the same factory as mentioned.

I keep thinking to myself they must leak water or have really shoddy idea of what qualifies as ceramic bezel inserts and sappire crystal.

Im planning on getting one of the Tuna models if they ever send me the $15 voucher they promised me for joining the newsletter. Still waiting a week later.
    I've been looking at Tunas myself today.

The one thing I would say against the Heimdallr 6105 is the lume pip at 12 on the bezel, it's pretty horrible.

I've not got a bracelet for either of mine, both are on silicon straps (both are pretty good I think, especially the one on my new Marinemaster), but I've heard they are a bit shonky.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I’m going to try a tuna when they are back available on the website

I have a the 6105 and FF homages and must say they are remarkable value for money

I took the 6105 swimming in the sea with no problems at all. Apart from the bracelet it makes a favourable comparison with a PRS-68 at around 1/3 the cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had the back off mine today, wanted to tweak the timekeeping as it was -63s a day on the timegrapher.

The movement looked pretty good for such a cheap watch, I’m guessing a clone of a Seiko movement, no markings on it at all I could see.

It was easy to regulate to +2s a day, but the timing does vary significantly in various positions, face down goes to -20s a day, crown down to +1s, crown up -16s, just by way of example. I’m not a watchmaker, so not sure what that would signify, but again at the money no complaints here.

The caseback o ring was as dry as the bottom of a budgies cage, so I lubed it with some Seiko o ring grease before refitting it.

I might throw it in my home made pressure tester later, but I’m confident it’s more watertight than it was.

They're supposed to be actual Seiko movements.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    They're supposed to be actual Seiko movements.

M

It did look very well made, not sure if a Seiko movement should have any Seiko markings on it to be fair?

I’ve just pressure tested mine to 5 Bar, passed fine, and I won’t be diving with it so all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It did look very well made, not sure if a Seiko movement should have any Seiko markings on it to be fair?

I’ve just pressure tested mine to 5 Bar, passed fine, and I won’t be diving with it so all good.
    An nh35 wont have Seiko markings on it, just these. Is this the same?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    An nh35 wont have Seiko markings on it, just these. Is this the same?

Ah ok, does look the same.

Seiko NH35 by iaintookey, on Flickr

How do they make these for the money?

Ah ok, does look the same.

Seiko NH35 by iaintookey, on Flickr

How do they make these for the money?
    Yes, that's a genuine Seiko movement.
    I'd guess a combination of bulk buying the movements from Seiko and incredibly cheap labour costs allow them to make a profit.

Master
    Found a 20mm waffle in my strap box, looks good on it I think.

Steeldive SD1970 Turtle 2 by iaintookey, on Flickr

Olive NATO/canvas should look nice as well.

Found a 20mm waffle in my strap box, looks good on it I think.

Steeldive SD1970 Turtle 2 by iaintookey, on Flickr

Olive NATO/canvas should look nice as well.
    I think the waffle, and the olive nato you mention are the best two choices available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I think the waffle, and the olive nato you mention are the best two choices available.

Had mine on olive nato this week to. Already posted but I agree, they are the best options.

I caved in on Friday and ordered one.

Well two as I was trying to decide between the 6105 and a black dialled squale ‘homage’ before I came to my senses and ordered both.

Still worked out less than the olive dialled seiko 5 I was also contemplating.

Looking forward to receiving them

I've somehow managed to miss this brand.
    I'm looking at the IWC "homage", which I quite like. What's the catch? Under £100 for an NH35-driven auto with sapphire and screw-down etc. Something somewhere here must be crap else where's the margin?
    Am I being a cynical bugger or am I right?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I've somehow managed to miss this brand.
    I'm looking at the IWC "homage", which I quite like. What's the catch? Under £100 for an NH35-driven auto with sapphire and screw-down etc. Something somewhere here must be crap else where's the margin?
    Am I being a cynical bugger or am I right?
    As Ruggertech said earlier, cheap movement purchased in bulk, cases machined on equipment that long since paid for itself, and all assembled in a low wage/cost economy, and there’s your answer.

Oh, and small margin high volume approach to making a profit.

I’m a cynical bugger as well, but on this occasion these watches do seem to offer remarkable value for money, and compare well to more expensive watches of a similar type.

I’d say the weakness on the SD1970 I have is the bracelet, in particular the end links, but that’s me being very picky bearing in mind the cost.

I guess that's it Tooks, thanks. I'm too suspicious for my own good!

Craftsman

SD1979 arrived yesterday

Quality is as good as the other Steeldives I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by the 6105 homage I have, the only argument against them is the fugly logo - it was well worth paying over-the-odds for the sterile dial. The quality of this watch is absurd for the money.

Arrived today. Swapped the straps out and a quick car based photo shoot at lunchtime.

As previously mentioned by others the quality for the cost is off the chart.

£217 delivered for two watches with bracelets and spare straps. Oh and strap tools and spare spring bars

Bezel alignment isn’t perfect as it’s off by a tiny fraction but it’s as good as recent seiko and cwc watches I’ve had

I've been so impressed with my Steeldive 1968 (MM300 'copage') that I've just ordered this

I ordered from Aliexpress again - Enjoylife1688 Store - and hoping the delivery process will be as swift as before.

M

I've been so impressed with my Steeldive 1968 (MM300 'copage') that I've just ordered this

I ordered from Aliexpress again - Enjoylife1688 Store - and hoping the delivery process will be as swift as before.

M
    Same for me, albeit the black version. Thinking of ordering the bronze pilot!

I've taken the plunge and gone for the SD1952S (the bronze FF homage).

There's a (slightly overlong) review of the watch here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_HUbawjA8 - which includes a code for £5 off any SteelDive watch. I won't spoil your enjoyment by telling you what the code is!

Looking good on a grey canvas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Judging by the 6105 homage I have, the only argument against them is the fugly logo - it was well worth paying over-the-odds for the sterile dial. The quality of this watch is absurd for the money.
    Indeed i have one in the pipeline from a U.K. supplier ( is it me who just finds the Alli what’s it site just horrible?)
    Matthew from the Steeldiveuk site is not supplying the sterile version
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    I’m not a big fan of the logo either, but having looked at the sterile dial versions they look like something is missing. For me it should be either no text/logo at all, fully sterile, or put up with the logo as it gives balance to the dial with the text in the lower half.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Indeed i have one in the pipeline from a U.K. supplier ( is it me who just finds the Alli what’s it site just horrible?)
    Matthew from the Steeldiveuk site is not supplying the sterile version
    I'm a broken record about Ali Express - I was scammed by sellers twice, and Ali Express 100% always sides with the sellers, + there are fakes of fakes of exceptionally shoddy quality, so I always avoid it. I'd rather pay more from a reliable and accountable seller.

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I’m not a big fan of the logo either, but having looked at the sterile dial versions they look like something is missing. For me it should be either no text/logo at all, fully sterile, or put up with the logo as it gives balance to the dial with the text in the lower half.
    I'd be perfectly happy with just the "STEELDIVE" text they use, however the cartoony logo is worse even than Orient's Rothmans-alike... Just me.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I'm a broken record about Ali Express - I was scammed by sellers twice, and Ali Express 100% always sides with the sellers, + there are fakes of fakes of exceptionally shoddy quality, so I always avoid it. I'd rather pay more from a reliable and accountable seller.
    I've bought a lot of stuff through AliExpress over the last few years. On the very rare occasions that I have had issues (non delivery a couple of times, a broken item on another), I have got a refund very quickly and with no problems. (GearBest, on the other hand, were a real pain to deal with when an item didn't arrive).

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Same here. Especially on the Marine Master dials. It looks like a fake Seiko where the Seiko logo has fallen off.

I wanted one of those MM300 frontoladers on bracelet and was going to buy Mart's but when I looked in the sales corner it had sold! Story of my life!!

Just have to hangfire for another three weeks!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Same here. Especially on the Marine Master dials. It looks like a fake Seiko where the Seiko logo has fallen off.
    Each to their own, I find the logo'd one cluttered and like the lack of it.

M

Each to their own, I find the logo'd one cluttered and like the lack of it.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely be interested in a completely sterile version.

I was also considering buying Mart's MM300, but I sat on the fence too long. I fancy trying one of those to compare it to my SBDX001, although I don't imagine I'd keep it. For a beater (for travelling etc) I'd probably want to go with something less heavy.

Does anyone know which of the various white-label brands are from the same factory? I was googling around and came across Proxima watches. Their dials are much better balanced than the Steeldive ones, with plain "PROXIMA" text logo and their sterile versions are completely sterile. They have a fairly nice looking 62MAS. The branding is a bit inconsistent though, as some of them on that site are branded "Himq". Heimdallr is another one, which also has the Promima brand on their site. Steeldive seems to be the only one that cares about building a brand (even if their branding is awful).

Hmmm.... If these use Seiko movements, then I wonder if all the usual modding parts would allow plenty of scope for playing with these?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Hmmm.... If these use Seiko movements, then I wonder if all the usual modding parts would allow plenty of scope for playing with these?
    Handsets and dials definitely will. Be aware though of the crown position. Seiko turtles, skx's etc have a crown at approximately a quarter to four and aftermarket dials have feet positioned thus. The steeldive 6105 and tuna models have the crown positioned past quarter to four. So using the dial feet for positioning will result in a skewed dial. The feet will have to be removed and the dial glued on. This can also result in a slightly non centred date if using a dial with date window.
    The steeldive skx and sumo models have the crown at the quarter to position.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Thanks to [mention]TaketheCannoli [/mention] I ordered the 6105 homage. It landed today, I can’t get over the quality for £108. I bought the bracelet model but it also came with a rubber strap. I won’t wear either but wow. It’s great!

Tuna will be on order tonight!
    Great looking watch. The quality seems great for the price. Can you send a link for that piece?

Also, I had 2 x 6105 hommages. Dagaz which was a disappointment because of a really loose bezel and Heimdallr which had extremelly stiffed bezel action. I heard 2nd gen of Heimdallr's (ceramic insert) is a great piece so I am interested in difference between all these 6105 hommages:

Steeldive vs Heimdallr vs San Martin???

Did anyone tried them and what are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by martyloveswatches View Post
    Great looking watch. The quality seems great for the price. Can you send a link for that piece?

Also, I had 2 x 6105 hommages. Dagaz which was a disappointment because of a really loose bezel and Heimdallr which had extremelly stiffed bezel action. I heard 2nd gen of Heimdallr's (ceramic insert) is a great piece so I am interested in difference between all these 6105 hommages:

Steeldive vs Heimdallr vs San Martin???

Did anyone tried them and what are your thoughts?
    All the reviewers seem to agree that logos and packaging aside (and maybe signed crowns) they are all exactly the same.

Recent Heimdallrs don't seem to have the ugly raised pip on the bezel.

M

Well, for me Steeldive font/logo seems to be the best looking one

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk

Steeldive skx case undergoing a VERY unscientific water resistance test ;-)

£5 off code. SteeldiveUK

No affiliation. There's a code available via this YouTuber.

watchmewithwatches5

https://youtu.be/_J_Qtvthi9s

Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    No affiliation. There's a code available via this YouTuber.
    As I mentioned back in post #123 ...

Green 'Tuna' arrived on Tuesday, just got around to sizing the bracelet and I'm very pleased again.

Interestingly, although I didn't have the option to request it, this one has come without the Steeldive logo on the dial, which (for me) is no bad thing.

I think this is actually even better made than the MM300-alike front-loader I bought a little while ago, the bezel and crown movement feel more engineered and precise.

Total time from order to delivery, 9 days - No complaints at all there - I again used Enjoylife1688 on Aliexpress - Delivery has been excellent, fast and clearly trackable.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 16th July 2020 at 15:07.

Sterile MM300 arrived today - and I quite like it!

The bracelet isn't amazing (no surprise) and the clasp is pretty awful. It came with a pretty decent isofrane-alike strap which I have on now.

The bog bad thing....getting a real MM300 will cost loads! :)

Edit: got this from the Steeldive UK site - sterile only as they ran out of the branded dial ones.

Last edited by bigmul; 17th July 2020 at 19:10.

Blog Entries
    Ordered a sterile last night from the U.K. site there was a sterile on the bay that went for £132.00 + postage that was almost new but got from the dealer for £139.00 posted so had to be a better deal and it’s UK.Another UK dealer is waiting for a sterile “ Willard” to arrive for me.

Last edited by mart broad; 22nd July 2020 at 19:41.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Can anyone confirm if their bronze watches are actual bronze, or are they PVD coated?
    I am tempted by the bronze 1953 yachtmaster and the steel 1954 sub homages. I like the look of the lumed bezel too.

Just ordered the big bronze.
    I asked them before if that's bronze and the answer was "They are cusn8 bronze"
    After a short read this looks to be the best kind .
    By the way ....what bronze is Bronzo(PAM )?

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk
    Last edited by marius; 20th July 2020 at 11:45.

I’ve owned, and have, a few Steeldive now and I have say that this is the best. Literally everything about it is perfect!

Master

A cautionary tale

I bought the Willard turtle a couple of weeks ago for a holiday beater, was pleased initially but a week ago the crown stopped working properly when unscrewed, now I can’t set the date and time as when the crown is screwed back in it randomly alters the date and time. I have sent several emails to them over the course of the last week but have still not had a reply which is not good. Does anyone have a contact number for them in the UK so I can try calling them, there is nothing listed on their website just a general email address. Thanks in advance.

Be very interesting go hear how 'superb' Matthew's service is when there is a problem: please keep us updated if you can.

I bought the bronze FF homage recently and have been very impressed, especially by the timekeeping: mine seems very steady indeed, with little or no variation for state of mind or position.

So I will certainly consider another: but will be influenced by the way that Matthew responds to this issue.

I had an issue with a watch I bought from him a couple of months ago and he was excellent, immediately offering an exchange or refund.

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Be very interesting go hear how 'superb' Matthew's service is when there is a problem: please keep us updated if you can.

I bought the bronze FF homage recently and have been very impressed, especially by the timekeeping: mine seems very steady indeed, with little or no variation for state of mind or position.

So I will certainly consider another: but will be influenced by the way that Matthew responds to this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    So how many would we need to order for a forum special edition?
    I like the way you think! A TZUK bronze tuna?

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    I had a problem with the first watch I got from Matthew (some marks on the side of the - bronze - case) and he was extremely responsive. Immediately offered to swap the watch over, and even let me change it for a different watch. I'd have no problems buying from him again.