closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Steeldive Watches - UK based outlet launched

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I have a Panerai sterile dial homage, case is probably the same as what many other companies use, movement is accurate (I seriously doubt it’s been regulated). Dial looks great I am very happy with it.

It’s a nice inexpensive bit of fun nothing more.
    Their Panerai homages seem to have a crown that is much thinner than original.
    Is yours similar? Om

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    A large pool of Seiko watches in the affordable category are also “Rip offs” from other brands (date justs, divers etc). They are also made in places like China, Malaysia etc where labour costs are cheaper so Seiko are not exactly winning on the ethical points here. Even the whole made in Japan mark has been called into question on a number of occasions just as much as “Swiss made” or “Glashutte”

You wouldn’t be able to buy your £500 Seiko if Swiss brands had not come up with a number of design ideas first.
    I've no interest whatsoever in defending or advocating on behalf of Seiko. I also have no issue at all with homages, except, as expressed earlier, where they are direct 1:1 copies of a watch still in production, and that's a personal preference rather than a judgement of other people's taste.

The point I was hoping to make in this thread was that comparisons of a white label Chinese parts bin copy, and a Seiko are unfair and unrealistic for various reasons, and that some of the conclusions being drawn in this thread based on such comparisons don't hold up.

I would make a similar point if the conversation were a more traditional watch forum staple from the time when Seiko were the leading value proposition in the world of quality watches - comparing Seikos to Swiss made luxury watches, and drawing similar bogus conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Their Panerai homages seem to have a crown that is much thinner than original.
    Is yours similar? Om

The only picture I have

Well I've taken the plunge and gone for the black Tuna. I sold my SBN007 some years ago and regretted it.
    This will do for now and cheap enough to move on.
    I've been impressed with the feedback regarding it's quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    TBH placing those two together makes the Steeldive look cheap and toy-ish compared to the 6309 IMO.
    I don't know what a 6309 sells for, but you can get the Steeldive for around £100, so it's unrealistic to expect the same quality as a current Seiko costing, what, 15 or 20 times the price?

What isn't unrealistic is to expect a watch costing that much more to be assembled with the same care and to deliver at least similar accuracy (and I'm not interested in 'on paper' specs) as the cheaper one.

If anyone is REALLY saying the Steeldives are as good as the Seikos in every respect, I think they're probably deluding themselves.

However, for the price they are damned good and they show what a poor job Seiko are doing in some respects, whilst constantly pushing their prices up.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    If anyone is REALLY saying the Steeldives are as good as the Seikos in every respect, I think they're probably deluding themselves.

However, for the price they are damned good and they show what a poor job Seiko are doing in some respects, whilst constantly pushing their prices up.

M

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Nail on the head.
    I would take the SteelDive every day of the week over the 6309, looks wise.

Opinions RAJEN, I really like the SD but I love the look of a 6309. There are those who have described the SD as cheap and toy-like but it's actually and solid, hefty piece.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I would take the SteelDive every day of the week over the 6309, looks wise.

Craftsman
    Here is my new Steeldive Sumo. Next day delivery. 1st impressions, great watch for the price. £115 to my door. Lume, not far off my Seiko watches. Case very well made. Everything lines up very nicely. Will keep tabs on timekeeping.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SiSetts; 1st October 2020 at 10:43.

Quote Originally Posted by SiSetts View Post
    Here is my new Steeldive Sumo. Next day delivery. 1st impressions, great watch for the price. £115 to my door. Lume, not far off my Seiko watches. Case very well made. Everything lines up very nicely Will keep tabs on timekeeping.

Very nice

Craftsman
    The proplof looks good a bit pricier though

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Very nice
    Looks great, I can never decide if I like the blue or green better. I'd be interested to know if the crafter blue designed for the Seiko Sumo would fit this.

I suppose it depends how closely the case design matches and placement of the lug holes.

I would consider it a bonus if it did fit.

My Tuna arrived today and it's everything that's been said. Superb in finish, winding, bracelet maybe not be the best so will put my Yobokies Anvil on it.
    Came with spare strap, bracelet pin punch, and spring bar tool.
    Well pleased for the money 👍🏻

I'm tempted with the Ploprof and Puck, but the Ploprof I will see reviews as it's engineering would have to be more involved to get the specs they say. Obviously I won't use it to those specs 🙄

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    Looks great, I can never decide if I like the blue or green better. I'd be interested to know if the crafter blue designed for the Seiko Sumo would fit this.

I suppose it depends how closely the case design matches and placement of the lug holes.

I would consider it a bonus if it did fit.
    I have the Seiko Sumo Hulk on a Crafter Blue. Will try the strap on the Steeldive and see if it fits.

Craftsman
    I have the Seiko Sumo Hulk on a Crafter Blue. Will try the strap on the Steeldive and see if it fits.

Much appreciated

Craftsman
    Much appreciated
    Here you go bud. Pretty much a perfect fit. I had to buy different size spring bars to make it fit my Sumo. So maybe the same with the Steeldive. I will try to find a link to where I bought them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    The proplof looks good a bit pricier though

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app
    Still a lot cheaper than the Helson version.

Craftsman
    Much appreciated
    Link found for spring bars.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Spr...72.m2749.l2649

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Still a lot cheaper than the Helson version.
    I was going to get one last night, but showing sold out already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Here you go bud. Pretty much a perfect fit. I had to buy different size spring bars to make it fit my Sumo. So maybe the same with the Steeldive. I will try to find a link to where I bought them.

Thanks for taking the time to try that for me, it is much appreciated.

Looks a really good fit, not too sure about the colour combination though!

I had originally been fancying a Seiko Sumo on crafter blue but have been coming around to the idea if just going for the Steeldive alternative. If I can still use a crafter even better

Craftsman
    Blimey, a Halios homage. They're ripping off micro brands now?

Wonder how many people here would buy it if they made a Steeldive Dreadnought...

Loads I suspect. They seem to have identified well-loved models for their business and the DN is one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post

Wonder how many people here would buy it if they made a Steeldive Dreadnought...

Craftsman
    Loads I suspect. They seem to have identified well-loved models for their business and the DN is one of those.
    Yeah, I could see them doing a Dreadnought or similar. Imagine if they're going after microbrand stuff, it will be stuff with a cult following, that fetches big money on the secondary market.

I do wonder though if it's to do with where you got stuff manufactured? Like maybe Halios were using the factory, or one of the factories, that sticks the Steeldive logo on stuff to make the Puck, making it more a matter of convenience than selection?

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Yeah, I could see them doing a Dreadnought or similar. Imagine if they're going after microbrand stuff, it will be stuff with a cult following, that fetches big money on the secondary market.

I do wonder though if it's to do with where you got stuff manufactured? Like maybe Halios were using the factory, or one of the factories, that sticks the Steeldive logo on stuff to make the Puck, making it more a matter of convenience than selection?

Interesting.
    Always thought that may be the case.

I wouldn't, as I've already got a Voyager

M

Grand Master
    Thanks for taking the time to try that for me, it is much appreciated.

Looks a really good fit, not too sure about the colour combination though!

I had originally been fancying a Seiko Sumo on crafter blue but have been coming around to the idea if just going for the Steeldive alternative. If I can still use a crafter even better
    I have the green sumo version, I want that strap!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I have the green sumo version, I want that strap!
    I'm torn between the green or blue, both very appealing.

Grand Master
    I'm torn between the green or blue, both very appealing.
    what swayed me to green was the word "greenmarine" on the dial. it's on all three variations which would set my teeth on edge on the blue version.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I had the black model but it was never an issue as my eyes are so poor I couldn’t see the script 👀

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    what swayed me to green was the word "greenmarine" on the dial. it's on all three variations which would set my teeth on edge on the blue version.

Grand Master
    I had the black model but it was never an issue as my eyes are so poor I couldn’t see the script 
    mine currently on a mesh whilst i decide on what strap to get for it. i found the included green rubber a bit stiff.

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I’ve got a Zuludiver Anvil bracelet on SC that I wore on my SD Sumo if anyone is interested.

Has anyone laid hands/eyes on the new Ploprof hommage?
    I’m quite tempted but at £300 its a little pricey to take a punt (on the other hand, if it’s as good as some of the reviews of Steeldive’s other offerings it will be a relative steal).

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’m quite tempted but at £300 its a little pricey to take a punt (on the other hand, if it’s as good as some of the reviews of Steeldive’s other offerings it will be a relative steal).
    £300? Have steeldive caught on and started bumping the price up like Seiko? :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    im tempted by this one aswell however they are currently showing out of stock, i think another member tried to get hold of one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    im tempted by this one aswell however they are currently showing out of stock, i think another member tried to get hold of one too.
    Some on Ali Express with some videos and more photos.

For example : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_

Screw on case back, which seems a bit strange for a Ploprof, doesn't it?

Still it is only a homage, so I guess it's not the end of the world.

M

Just noticed the Bronze Sumo, that is one stunner of a watch

Craftsman
    The Steeldive UK site should have more stock of the PolProf in ‘Hopefully 7 days’ according to the message from the guy running the site.

He answered the question very quickly

I'll be listing my Steeldive 6105 Turtle for sale tomorrow, full set with bracelet and everything perfect. I have to pay for an incoming. Slip into my DMs if you fancy it

My Steel Dive Tuna is a few days old now and I'm astonished by the accuracy of the Seiko NH35 movement. It's +2 seconds out!!
    I'm very impressed by the watch.

Craftsman
    My Steeldive Blue Sumo has lost 17 seconds since I set it a week ago. 2.4 secs a day, very happy with that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    I was looking on Hotukdeals yesterday and saw a Certina at a good price at around £465. In the past I would have gone for that but now I am not sure I want to throw that money away on a watch that cant offer as much as my Steeldrive Sumo, even a Swiss movement aint going to be any better at keeping time than these babies. I wish Steeldrive would issue the Spork clone, that would be a top seller.
    I know where your coming from. I am tempted by other more expensive options including actual Seiko but also keep thinking these Steeldive watches will offer everything and more and at a fraction of the price.

Blog Entries
    So, after a lockdown causing havoc with the collection and ending up with more watches than I had at the start, I begin to wonder why on earth I've done that as I tend to wear a watch for a long period to the exclusion of others and therefore, eventually start to question why I have so many watches when some might not get worn for many months on end. Then I see this thread and meander on to their website. Five minutes in and I've ordered another watch. https://www.steeldiveuk.com/product-...0m-diver-watch Damn you TZ! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Great, I've been searching for a Ploprof homage.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I was going to get one last night, but showing sold out already!

Last edited by vRSG60; 7th October 2020 at 13:00.

Screw on case back, which seems a bit strange for a Ploprof, doesn't it?

Still it is only a homage, so I guess it's not the end of the world.

M
    The Omega Ploprofs have a screw back these days.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    The Omega Ploprofs have a screw back these days.
    Ah, thanks, I did wonder, but thought that was major feature of the.design

I guess seal technology has got better.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Ah, thanks, I did wonder, but thought that was major feature of the.design

I guess seal technology has got better.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    No! They've also added a Helium Escape Valve. It's below the orange push button for the bezel.

Blog Entries
    Blimey! It arrived so quickly it could make your head spin. Ordered yesterday after midday and arrived at 10am this morning. Was sent in the normal Steeldive protective case along with a free pin remover tool. The build quality can't be faulted for the money. Obviously the strap is not going to be very special but it's certainly comfortable enough.

Forgive my appalling photo skills

Master
    Blog Entries
    I only just noticed they did a Ploprof. Did anyone here buy one?