closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One-way ‘privacy film’ for bedroom windows?

Question One-way ‘privacy film’ for bedroom windows?

Can anyone recommend a product that is easy to fix to a bedroom window, will allow lots of daylight in but stop anyone outside the property seeing in?

All advice appreciated. :)

Rented house, so putting up blinds isn’t an option.

Master
    We used the mirrored one for my daughters bedroom (ground floor) in her Uni rented house, went on very easily just make sure you use lots of liquid, it comes off easily too.

https://activewindowfilms.co.uk/

Master
    I've used this stuff on an office window and found it to be very effective. I'm sure that anything if this nature will reduce light transmission to an extent, but it wasn't noticeable.
    https://www.dunelm.com/product/frost...Genie+Shopping

Craftsman
    Used a "mirror film" on bedroom windows when I ran a care home as Council decided to place a bus stop outside. Worked very well during the day, but be aware that when the room lights were on it reverted to see through. Newer film may not do this but check first! cheers, John B4

Craftsman
    The "New threads" list on the first forum page only showed the first four words of the thread title, which would have made for a very different type of question!

Great thread OP, I was going to post one tomorrow!

I've emailed a few companies and nobody can supply me with an answer. On some hospitals they use film that you can see through from a far distance but the closer you get, the foggier/less visibility it becomes. Anyone know of such a product, please?

OP, my apologies if it appears I've hijacked your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I've used this stuff on an office window and found it to be very effective. I'm sure that anything if this nature will reduce light transmission to an extent, but it wasn't noticeable.
    https://www.dunelm.com/product/frost...Genie+Shopping
    I've installed something similar in our spare room/office, bought as a big roll from eBay

You can't see thorough it in either direction, so it doesn't quite fit the "one way" part of the spec, but it lets in a hell of a lot more light during the day than the blind that was there before and, as a bonus, provides privacy to the next door neighbour's 20 something daughter who never closes her curtains

Master
    Unsure if this applies to all films but a friend has it on the wc of his pool room / conservatory. If your sat in the conservatory of an evening with the lights off and someone uses the wc with the lights on you can see what they’re doing.

Master
    Sorry, I missed the ‘one way’ bit. I think most one way treatments only provide privacy to the darker side when viewed from the lighter side. Works fine during daylight hours then reverses when the room is lit at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I've installed something similar in our spare room/office, bought as a big roll from eBay

You can't see thorough it in either direction, so it doesn't quite fit the "one way" part of the spec, but it lets in a hell of a lot more light during the day than the blind that was there before and, as a bonus, provides privacy to the next door neighbour's 20 something daughter who never closes her curtains
    Address? So I can come and see what how effective your window film is obviously

Journeyman
    We have some frosted glass effect plastic that can be picked up from most DIY stores. You wet the surface and just apply and cut to size. It does stop a little light but will stop people from seeing in but also stop you from seeing out. We have used it in two properties now and both times has done the desired effect. One trick we have used in both occasions is to only do part of the window so leave some at the top left normal. This meant we could still see out if needed but found that the normal floor height outside is generally lower so harder for somebody outside to see in.

Also easy to remove as just peels off.

So satisfying to do too

Red face

Thanks All! Lots of great ideas and advice. I'm ideally looking for a solution that won't prevent me seeing out of the window though.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks All! Lots of great ideas and advice. I'm ideally looking for a solution that won't prevent me seeing out of the window though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Thanks All! Lots of great ideas and advice. I'm ideally looking for a solution that won't prevent me seeing out of the window though
    Good luck.

As mentioned above, even the best one way films rely on it being darker on the inside and lighter on the outside.

If you're only after day time privacy from the film that's fine, but if you want privacy in the evenings with the lights on indoors then you'll likely need frosted rather than one way film

Master
    I have used this company for commercial office projects to offer privacy. They may not be able to offer your perfect product but I am sure they will have some sort of solution. http://www.solarshadewindowfilms.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Unsure if this applies to all films but a friend has it on the wc of his pool room / conservatory. If your sat in the conservatory of an evening with the lights off and someone uses the wc with the lights on you can see what they’re doing.
    Thats the problem with privacy films if the light indoors is brigher than the light outdoors then there is no privacy
    though the mirrored stuff does keep the heat out in summer if direct sunlight is an issue.

better off using some Ikea Schottis blinds - cheap as chips and easy to install

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/schotti...hite-20242282/

They're not meant as a replacement for blinds/curtains at night.

Have you thought about some net curtains? They were the original low tech "I can see out but others can't see in" solution.