closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lexus RX opinions

Lexus RX opinions

As a Grand Seiko fan, it was perhaps inevitable that I would be looking to Lexus for my next car, above Toyota.

Really I want a reliable, safe large SUV to carry all the stuff that two small children come with, as well as gardening and DIY stuff. Was considering waiting for the new PHEV Toyota Rav 4, but then thought if I'm considering spending £30k on a new car and it would depreciate to far below that in no time, why not spend £30k on a second hand Lexus which was probably worth double or even triple that. Plus the RX is bigger which would be useful.

Car gets very light use, mostly just in the suburb of London where I live with a few longer trips round London (once or twice a month in normal times) and one or two longer trips to the seaside.

Would appreciate the collected knowledge and experience of the hive mind. Thanks.

Can’t comment on the Lexus but we did pick up a new Rav4 a couple of weeks ago after a six month wait, only a couple of weeks of which were due to covid. Demand is sky high for these at the moment and I think the waiting lists could be even longer now. It’s a real improvement over the previous version we had, looks better, feels bigger and fuel economy seems somewhat improved.
    When looking for a second hand second car in January the choice came down to a Mercedes C Class, BMW 3, Lexus IS or Jag XE. Ended up with the Jag as the German cars bored me and the Lexus just seemed too much like a Toyota with a few cosmetic improvements, but not enough to justify the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Can’t comment on the Lexus but we did pick up a new Rav4 a couple of weeks ago after a six month wait, only a couple of weeks of which were due to covid. Demand is sky high for these at the moment and I think the waiting lists could be even longer now. It’s a real improvement over the previous version we had, looks better, feels bigger and fuel economy seems somewhat improved.
    When looking for a second hand second car in January the choice came down to a Mercedes C Class, BMW 3, Lexus IS or Jag XE. Ended up with the Jag as the German cars bored me and the Lexus just seemed too much like a Toyota with a few cosmetic improvements, but not enough to justify the price.
    Interesting, thanks. My dad has the previous Rav 4 and it looks good, just a similar size to the Qashqai/Kadjars I have had recently and I want something bigger.

I was hoping could get a deal on the Rav 4 but doesn't sound like it if they are in that much demand!

For something a bit bigger I think Toyota are bringing out the Highlander over here either later this year or early next. I’m sure we had a couple of Toyota dealers frequent these parts but I can’t remember who they are.

Master
    I think lexus are superb and owned a 2008 isf some time ago. Reliability and build quality I think are better than mercedes and bmw. Styling is subjective of course. The dealer I used in Woodford was superb. Our next family car will be a Lexus nx.

Master
    Looked at the RX last year I really liked it (7 seat version) Nice to drive but the Mrs preferred the xc90 as it’s her car that’s what we went with.

Master
    What I can’t figure is why when Toyota offer a 5 year warranty Lexus is only 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I think lexus are superb and owned a 2008 isf some time ago. Reliability and build quality I think are better than mercedes and bmw. Styling is subjective of course. The dealer I used in Woodford was superb. Our next family car will be a Lexus nx.
    I actually like the angular styling. The Woodford dealer was the one I was thinking of checking out for used cars as it is near where my wife's dad lives. Also the prices seem cheaper than the Edgware Road one which is the other one within striking distance of where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    For something a bit bigger I think Toyota are bringing out the Highlander over here either later this year or early next. I’m sure we had a couple of Toyota dealers frequent these parts but I can’t remember who they are.
    Interesting! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Looked at the RX last year I really liked it (7 seat version) Nice to drive but the Mrs preferred the xc90 as it’s her car that’s what we went with.
    The XC90 looks great and I've heard good things, but it is quite a lot more second hand, let alone new.

I purchased a Lexus last year and it was the best move I have ever made in terms of cars. It’s been totally reliable to date, comfortable to drive and unbelievably economical to run.

It feels on par with the Mercedes, BMW’s and Audi’s I have owned over the years and I don’t think I would buy anything else in the future.

Servicing costs are reasonable along with extending the warranty, Woodford Lexus being my closest dealer have been very professional and easy to deal with in my experience.

I am very pleased with mine and would thoroughly recommend one.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I purchased a Lexus last year and it was the best move I have ever made in terms of cars. It’s been totally reliable to date, comfortable to drive and unbelievably economical to run.

It feels on par with the Mercedes, BMW’s and Audi’s I have owned over the years and I don’t think I would buy anything else in the future.

Servicing costs are reasonable along with extending the warranty, Woodford Lexus being my closest dealer have been very professional and easy to deal with in my experience.

I am very pleased with mine and would thoroughly recommend one.
    Which model did you get?

It's funny, normally I would not be interested in dealer experience, but I completely dread having to deal with Renault at all as they are so horrible and incompetent. Audi were kind of ok, but a free bad coffee did not make up for being made to wait around unnecessarily.

My wife has an NX and it’s a lovely bit of kit. The only downside is the CVT gearbox, but even with this it’s head and shoulders over my previous BMWs and on a par with my current E-Class.

A buddy of mine (ex-motor trade) has been drive RX’s since they first came out and he is currently on his 3rd. He swears by them.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    My wife has an NX and it’s a lovely bit of kit. The only downside is the CVT gearbox, but even with this it’s head and shoulders over my previous BMWs and on a par with my current E-Class.

A buddy of mine (ex-motor trade) has been drive RX’s since they first came out and he is currently on his 3rd. He swears by them.
    Nice, thank you.

hi Benjamin
    my brother is on his second NX - took delivery of a MY20 a few weeks ago. He also used Lexus Woodford. He's really impressed with it. A nice smooth solid drive and it's intelligent 4wd holds the road really well. Motorway driving is a breeze as once in cruise control you don't have to do much as it's all based on radar and lane tracking assist - basically drives itself. He also said the dealership is good - which coming from him is high praise as he moans at the slightest thing!

i know it's not the RX but hopefully it helps

Casper

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    hi Benjamin
    my brother is on his second NX - took delivery of a MY20 a few weeks ago. He also used Lexus Woodford. He's really impressed with it. A nice smooth solid drive and it's intelligent 4wd holds the road really well. Motorway driving is a breeze as once in cruise control you don't have to do much as it's all based on radar and lane tracking assist - basically drives itself. He also said the dealership is good - which coming from him is high praise as he moans at the slightest thing!

i know it's not the RX but hopefully it helps

Casper
    Thank you, that is helpful.

I’ve had a couple - the RX300h years ago, and the RX350h a few years back.

They are superbly built, far more comfortable than my current Merc SUV, and probably better quality overall. Never had any issues whatsoever.

Just don’t expect sporty handling or for them to be frugal - they aren’t particularly economical.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I’ve had a couple - the RX300h years ago, and the RX350h a few years back.

They are superbly built, far more comfortable than my current Merc SUV, and probably better quality overall. Never had any issues whatsoever.

Just don’t expect sporty handling or for them to be frugal - they aren’t particularly economical.
    Thanks. Well I've never had anything sporty so this would still be the most sporty I've had! Frugal would be good but given my low mileage doubt it makes much difference.

Master
    Can't speak about the RX but can chip on on Lexus now that I own one.

Was looking to spend 10k on something a bit different but then saw a 2008 Lexus IS250 on autotrader for £3,250. I bought it from a guy who had looked after it and I love the thing. So much car for the money. I can see it costing me a lot though... As I now think I only really want to buy Lexus.

You do have to get over the Alan Partridge thing though! Tbh it is the Japanese Mercedes though.

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Can't speak about the RX but can chip on on Lexus now that I own one.

Was looking to spend 10k on something a bit different but then saw a 2008 Lexus IS250 on autotrader for £3,250. I bought it from a guy who had looked after it and I love the thing. So much car for the money. I can see it costing me a lot though... As I now think I only really want to buy Lexus.

You do have to get over the Alan Partridge thing though! Tbh it is the Japanese Mercedes though.
    Ha yes the Alan Partridge factor is surely part of the appeal. If Lexus is the Japanese Mercedes, does that make Grand Seiko the Japanese Patek Philippe?! The story of how Lexus built their first car to be a Mercedes beater is actually a bit like the story of Seiko beating the Swiss at their own game.

LEXUS = Luxury/Elegance E(X)ports to the US.

The radar assist cruise control is brilliant (if a bit unnerving at times, especially if you get cut up).

You realise how good these cars are when you shut the door. I must admit I am considering selling the Merc and getting an RC instead.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    My father in law bought a new RX450h three years ago and it’s been utterly flawless. He had come from a lifetime of Mercs and will now never buy anything but a Lexus in the future.

I’ve driven it many times and I love it. It’s supremely comfortable. The cabin is beautiful, swathed in lots of real leather (none of that Dakota “leather” sh*te you find in BMWs). It has plenty of poke for a car of its size and the MPG isn’t too bad either. My only foibles are the infotainment system which isn’t nearly as intuitive as BMWs. The CVT is a bit whiney at times but is perfect for cruising on the motorway or in traffic around town.

I will be changing my car soon and a RX450h will be top of the list.

Great car, I had a 300, two 400s and two 450s, they just work, never go wrong, just waft along, never exiting and never look special.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    My father in law bought a new RX450h three years ago and it’s been utterly flawless. He had come from a lifetime of Mercs and will now never buy anything but a Lexus in the future.

I’ve driven it many times and I love it. It’s supremely comfortable. The cabin is beautiful, swathed in lots of real leather (none of that Dakota “leather” sh*te you find in BMWs). It has plenty of poke for a car of its size and the MPG isn’t too bad either. My only foibles are the infotainment system which isn’t nearly as intuitive as BMWs. The CVT is a bit whiney at times but is perfect for cruising on the motorway or in traffic around town.

I will be changing my car soon and a RX450h will be top of the list.
    That's a glowing review! Thank you.

I'm three weeks into ownership of an RX450H L (7 seater) and I'm really pleased with it. Very, very comfortable, spacious and luxurious and they come very well equipped (HUD, radar cruise, heated and vented seats, 360 cameras etc on mine).

It replaced an Audi S8 that I did 50,000 miles in over 3 years and the Lexus is every bit as quiet, comfortable and well built. Probably more relaxing too as although it's quick enough, you're not tempted to see how fast you can go... :-). I actually believe everything will work for a very long time too - they threw in an extra 2 years warranty as they reckon they never see them back whereas the quote for one extra year warranty on my S8 was over £2k...

Bit of a change for me after 15 years of large German cars (none of which were faultless and the dealer experience was becoming tiring) and so far I'm really pleased. The dealer was excellent too (as expected based on reputation) and I'm currently getting about 35mpg combined which is pretty good for something this size. The hybrid tech is well proven, you can creep around for a few miles on battery power only and I haven't really noticed the gearbox despite the negative press. There's plenty of room for the stuff you describe in both the standard and "L" versions.

Downsides are few but the looks can be polarising - I like it but not everyone does. The third row seats really are for occasional use/small children and the infotainment is at first as bad as everyone says - there's no sense or logic to any of it but as with any system you do pick it up quickly.

So far so good - an excellent car with no regrets.
    Last edited by Tidybeard; 23rd June 2020 at 14:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    I'm three weeks into ownership of an RX450H L (7 seater) and I'm really pleased with it. Very, very comfortable, spacious and luxurious and they come very well equipped (HUD, radar cruise, heated and vented seats, 360 cameras etc on mine).

It replaced an Audi S8 that I did 50,000 miles in over 3 years and the Lexus is every bit as quiet, comfortable and well built. Probably more relaxing too as although it's quick enough, you're not tempted to see how fast you can go... :-). I actually believe everything will work for a very long time too - they threw in an extra 2 years warranty as they reckon they never see them back whereas the quote for one extra year warranty on my S8 was over £2k...

Bit of a change for me after 15 years of large German cars (none of which were faultless and the dealer experience was becoming tiring) and so far I'm really pleased. The dealer was excellent too (as expected based on reputation) and I'm currently getting about 35mpg combined which is pretty good for something this size. The hybrid tech is well proven, you can creep around for a few miles on battery power only and I haven't really noticed the gearbox despite the negative press. There's plenty of room for the stuff you describe in both the standard and "L" versions.

Downsides are few but the looks can be polarising - I like it but not everyone does. The third row seats really are for occasional use/small children and the infotainment is at first as bad as everyone says - there's no sense or logic to any of it but as with any system you do pick it up quickly.

So far so good - an excellent car with no regrets.
    Fantastic thanks. Did you buy new? Which dealer did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Fantastic thanks. Did you buy new? Which dealer did you use?
    Would have been happy to buy new but I ended up with one just under a year old with a couple of thousand miles in as new condition. Circumstances meant I needed a car that was in stock and I bought it unseen from Lexus Stoke via email while they were in lockdown then collected it on the 1st June when they opened. I got a very good deal and I'm glad I bought when I did as it was the exact spec I wanted and the national stock seems to have gone down quite a bit (and prices firmed up) over the last three weeks since. I think they look nice in a dark metallic colour with a light interior but this time I went for silver with black leather as my last four cars have been black with light interiors and they only ever looked properly clean on the day I collected them!

I've been ferrying kids around in it this evening and I'm even more impressed. A really cracking car, you won't be disappointed. I quite fancy an LC500 to complement it now... :-).

Edited to add - the 2020 model year comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto which is better late than never. The dealer's "tech guru" promised me faithfully that it will be coming as a retrofit to existing cars this summer and it will be free for me as I bought from them but it's worth bearing that in mind. It would effectively take away the hassle of the tricky infotainment from day 1 if you got a 2020 model.
    Last edited by Tidybeard; 23rd June 2020 at 22:00.

Would have been happy to buy new but I ended up with one just under a year old with a couple of thousand miles in as new condition. Circumstances meant I needed a car that was in stock and I bought it unseen from Lexus Stoke via email while they were in lockdown then collected it on the 1st June when they opened. I got a very good deal and I'm glad I bought when I did as it was the exact spec I wanted and the national stock seems to have gone down quite a bit (and prices firmed up) over the last three weeks since. I think they look nice in a dark metallic colour with a light interior but this time I went for silver with black leather as my last four cars have been black with light interiors and they only ever looked properly clean on the day I collected them!

I've been ferrying kids around in it this evening and I'm even more impressed. A really cracking car, you won't be disappointed. I quite fancy an LC500 to complement it now... :-).

Edited to add - the 2020 model year comes with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto which is better late than never. The dealer's "tech guru" promised me faithfully that it will be coming as a retrofit to existing cars this summer and it will be free for me as I bought from them but it's worth bearing that in mind. It would effectively take away the hassle of the tricky infotainment from day 1 if you got a 2020 model.
    Thanks, yes, with young children I would definitely go for a dark interior too!

I've had Android Auto on my current car and found it too irritating to use so I just the phone for Spotify and Sat Nav. Not sure what infotainment functions I would ever use on the car, what kind of stuff can it do?

I was looking at some of the used cars thee years old which are half the list price. Unless the dealer can offer interest free credit through Toyota financing (the offers on the website are interest bearing), I'd rather pay less for cash.

I’m on the Apple side and not an expert unfortunately but as I understand it, it just turns your car screen into a big version of your phone so you interact with the car and all your apps in the same way as you would your phone.

I have seen Toyota do 0% finance before but at the moment I think the Lexus offer is 3.9%. I certainly wouldn’t worry about a used one, especially if you can roll in the extended warranty (which effectively extends the full manufacturer warranty including breakdown cover, rather than being a third party add-on).

One thing that is a bit different to my previous cars that I forgot to mention is that servicing is annual or every 10,000 miles whichever is first. My previous cars were variable and often went up to 20,000 miles between services. I’m not sure what impact that will have on the overall cost, we’ll see!

I’m on the Apple side and not an expert unfortunately but as I understand it, it just turns your car screen into a big version of your phone so you interact with the car and all your apps in the same way as you would your phone.

I have seen Toyota do 0% finance before but at the moment I think the Lexus offer is 3.9%. I certainly wouldn’t worry about a used one, especially if you can roll in the extended warranty (which effectively extends the full manufacturer warranty including breakdown cover, rather than being a third party add-on).

One thing that is a bit different to my previous cars that I forgot to mention is that servicing is annual or every 10,000 miles whichever is first. My previous cars were variable and often went up to 20,000 miles between services. I’m not sure what impact that will have on the overall cost, we’ll see!
    Yup I found the apps too limited a version so I couldn't be bothered with it.

Lexus approved used give 12 months warranty, will try asking for more and perhaps a free service, they can only say no!

Currently have been servicing every year which is a pain as they are such idiots to deal with so will be nice to have a more pleasant experience.

Craftsman
    We have the Lexus UX and have to say the infotainment is woeful and there is no convenient place to hold the phone. The incar sat nav is truly hopeless. Apple car play and android auto were launched on the model two months after we bought it :(

I have android auto in my Fiesta and its awesome I use it all the time and really wouldn't want to be without it

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    We have the Lexus UX and have to say the infotainment is woeful and there is no convenient place to hold the phone. The incar sat nav is truly hopeless. Apple car play and android auto were launched on the model two months after we bought it :(

I have android auto in my Fiesta and its awesome I use it all the time and really wouldn't want to be without it
    I'm used to using a phone holder with a sucker and doing everything on the phone. Have always found car sat navs unusable. Can't see that a car manufacturer is ever going to create an interface as easy to use as a mobile phone...