closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Italian magazines in the UK

Italian magazines in the UK

Over the last couple of years or so my wife has been going on regular activity based breaks to Italy - mostly cooking related - and taking lessons in Italian locally here in the UK. I would like to buy her a subscription to print copies of an Italian magazine/paper as a birthday present in order to help broaden and improve her language skills.

Does anyone here know if this is possible/practicable? If so do you have any links/pointers? I would also be open and grateful for any other ideas or suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Over the last couple of years or so my wife has been going on regular activity based breaks to Italy - mostly cooking related - and taking lessons in Italian locally here in the UK. I would like to buy her a subscription to print copies of an Italian magazine/paper as a birthday present in order to help broaden and improve her language skills.

Does anyone here know if this is possible/practicable? If so do you have any links/pointers? I would also be open and grateful for any other ideas or suggestions.
    Do you have an ipad? Get Readly and she will have the choice of thousands of italy magazines.

Plenty of Italian language magazines available on Readly.

Thanks both for the suggestion. I was aware of Readly, though I must admit hadn't thought of it in this context. However despite owning and using both an ipad and a kindle, she remains a dead tree format fan at heart. Still enjoying the disappearing pleasure of idly leafing through glossy pages whilst the dinner gently burns in the oven untended.

Which is why I was looking primarily for hard copy. (Along with a loud kitchen timer.)

I'm like your wife, far prefer printed magazines to reading on devices though do have Readly.

Plenty of Italian magazines are available for subscription, really need to narrow subject matter choice down but here's a few recommended for learners:- https://www.europassitalian.com/blog...ian-magazines/

Loads here:- https://www.newsstand.co.uk/125-ital...criptions.aspx

Craftsman
    La Settimana Enigmistica can often be found in large newsagents.

Blog Entries
    All of these are available as paper subscriptions (abbonamenti cartacei) in UK:

https://www.abbonamenti.it/estero?siteLanguage=EN#0

Cucina Italiana is excellent
    Giallo zafferano also good, lesser level
    Sale e Pepe do not know
    Last edited by Franco; 21st June 2020 at 23:55.

There is an Italian magazine I think called acquerello italiano or very similar which gives you an audio recording or Italian articles with an Italian and UK text to read. It is very good and I used it for a while to improve my Italian she might find that a lot easier than starting with Italian magazines depending upon her fluency.

Also consider Italian DVDs with Italian subs - very useful to learn with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    There is an Italian magazine I think called acquerello italiano or very similar which gives you an audio recording or Italian articles with an Italian and UK text to read. It is very good and I used it for a while to improve my Italian she might find that a lot easier than starting with Italian magazines depending upon her fluency.
    (Acquerello Italiano, yes, but sadly it ceased about ten years ago.)

Craftsman
    As well as Readly, there is another app called Press Reader and you can usually get a free log in linked to your local library which you should be able to sign up for free.

When I tried to learn Italian a few years back, I found a pack of sticky labels with all household objects listed so as I wandered around my house, I was reminded what everything was called in Italian.

I found it much easier to learn via audio than reading so a Rosetta Stone or similar course might be good. I bet Ebay is full of them.