closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ETA 2894-2: can it be serviced by a watchmaker?

ETA 2894-2: can it be serviced by a watchmaker?

This is a question for the forum's watchmakers or anyone who can contribute their experience.

I'm eyeing a watch with the ETA 2894-2 modular chronograph movement.
    Searching the interwebs for more info about it, I came across this statement on Watch Wiki:

"Unlike the Valjoux 7750, which can be serviced by a watchmaker, the 2894-2 chronograph module is only serviceable by the factory. Repairs typically consist of replacing the module entirely."

Now I have no idea how reliable Watch Wiki is with this type of information, so I thought I'd ask the forum.
    Can this movement be serviced by an independent watchmaker or is it tricky / impossible and it does indeed need to go back to the "factory"?

I suspect the former, but look forward to hearing any insight. thank you.

Apparently it is tricky, but perfectly possible to have them serviced by a watchmaker / repairer.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Michael Michael's a watchmaker who worked at watchbox(check youtube) likes this movement.Check out past videos.Some watchmakers do not service the chrono module but instead just service the base movement.I have a tudor monte carlo and in comparison to rolex getting tudor to service a watch is much cheaper.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I used to have an Eterna with one of these movements.

When the chronograph was started, the running seconds would often stop momentarily. The chronograph central seconds hand would stutter around the dial. Lastly when setting the time, it usually lost a minute meaning you have to set it a minute ahead. It had all these features from new.

You also often get conned by watchmakers who charge for a chronograph service but don't do any work on the module, meaning that it can fail later on.

I've handled a Longines with the same movement that had a much smoother central chronograph sweep. It seems to be pot luck.

The calibre is compact, the pushers and crown are in line. It keeps good time and is smooth to manually wind. However, modular construction without a vertical clutch, is the worst of all worlds.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the helpful insight.
    To be honest it makes me a little weary, especially since the watch I’m looking at is from the early 2000s.

Will have a think and certainly feel better informed now.

Just out of interest, which watch were you considering?

The movement can be serviced and it does lend itself to a smaller, more compact watch. A factory service can involve swapping the module for a refurbished unit. Some independents will service the chrono module, some won't. Modular chronos often get a bad rep because they don't get serviced properly and furthermore, the customer isn't given the choice about servicing the module and doesn't benefit from any cost saving.

I've had two modular chronos and four chronos that were based on the Valjoux 7750. I prefer the Valjoux 7750, but if you only intend to use the chronograph occasionally, the 2894-2 isn't a disaster, the rotor winds in both directions and doesn't have the wobble of the 7750.

Last edited by AKM; 23rd June 2020 at 23:26.

Grand Master
    I’ve worked on the Omega version with DD module, that doesn’t have a date feature and it is similar but significantly different from the ETA that TAG and others use.

The problem with servicing these modules is reassembly. The Omega one is straightforward, a competent repairer should be able to service one of these, but parts availability is limited. I’ve worked on a few of these, contrary to popular belief they’re an excellent design and they’re very well made.

The ETA version is a problem to work on because it requires a special jig/ holder to get it back together. I looked into buying one but the price was over £250. Parts availability for the ETA module is even worse, so I decided against spending on the special tool which would've given me the capability to work on these movements.

There’s a lot of snobbery with chronograph movements, usually fuelled by people regurgitating what they’ve read on the internet. Technically these modular movements are very good, and provided they haven’t been messed about with they seem to last well. The only drawback for an owner is the lag of approx 30 seconds in getting the hour and minute hands moving, that’s just a function of the way the base movement engages with the chrono module and some lost motion is inevitable.

If parts were readily available and the special tool wasn’t as expensive I’m sure most repairers would be happy to work on these, but most will take the same decision I did. That leaves owners with limited options when a watch needs attention.

Once again, blame the Swiss, with their restrictive practices. The Swiss watch industry doesn’t deserve to survive, the attitude towards service and parts supply is not in the best interests of owners.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’ve worked on the Omega version with DD module, that doesn’t have a date feature and it is similar but significantly different from the ETA that TAG and others use.

The problem with servicing these modules is reassembly. The Omega one is straightforward, a competent repairer should be able to service one of these, but parts availability is limited. I’ve worked on a few of these, contrary to popular belief they’re an excellent design and they’re very well made.

The ETA version is a problem to work on because it requires a special jig/ holder to get it back together. I looked into buying one but the price was over £250. Parts availability for the ETA module is even worse, so I decided against spending on the special tool which would've given me the capability to work on these movements.

There’s a lot of snobbery with chronograph movements, usually fuelled by people regurgitating what they’ve read on the internet. Technically these modular movements are very good, and provided they haven’t been messed about with they seem to last well. The only drawback for an owner is the lag of approx 30 seconds in getting the hour and minute hands moving, that’s just a function of the way the base movement engages with the chrono module and some lost motion is inevitable.

If parts were readily available and the special tool wasn’t as expensive I’m sure most repairers would be happy to work on these, but most will take the same decision I did. That leaves owners with limited options when a watch needs attention.

Once again, blame the Swiss, with their restrictive practices. The Swiss watch industry doesn’t deserve to survive, the attitude towards service and parts supply is not in the best interests of owners.
    This is interesting Paul - I'm currently in a debate on Hodinkee with a few about the new Longines using a DD module on top of the 1894 instead of the updated 7753 that they use in the Big Eye (which I think is a fab movement).

I had a few queries - how often do you end up junking the DD module and having to replace with a new one (if at all?). And for 7750s, are parts still available or have you experienced difficulties with that too?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Thank you for the detailed reply, it sheds a lot of light on these movements.
    Agree that the Swiss are not acting in the interests of watch enthusiasts...

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Just out of interest, which watch were you considering?

The movement can be serviced and it does lend itself to a smaller, more compact watch. A factory service can involve swapping the module for a refurbished unit. Some independents will service the chrono module, some won't. Modular chronos often get a bad rep because they don't get serviced properly and furthermore, the customer isn't given the choice about servicing the module and doesn't benefit from any cost saving.

I've had two modular chronos and four chronos that were based on the Valjoux 7750. I prefer the Valjoux 7750, but if you only intend to use the chronograph occasionally, the 2894-2 isn't a disaster, the rotor winds in both directions and doesn't have the wobble of the 7750.

Bell & Ross 520 S.
    I think it looks fantastic and it’s uncommon, which I value.
    There’s a few nice examples on C24, but on balance it’s too much money for an older watch with a movement that’s tricky to service. Then again who knows, the siren may prove irresistible!

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Bell & Ross 520 S.
    I think it looks fantastic and it’s uncommon, which I value.
    There’s a few nice examples on C24, but on balance it’s too much money for an older watch with a movement that’s tricky to service. Then again who knows, the siren may prove irresistible!
    I also very much like the look of the Bell & Ross, but their use of the 2894-2 has put me off, particularly at the price. I use the chronograph quite a bit.

If it was a Swatch Group product (e.g. Longines) I'd be less bothered as it would be cheaper and they've got all the parts / would probably just swap out the module at service.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    This is interesting Paul - I'm currently in a debate on Hodinkee with a few about the new Longines using a DD module on top of the 1894 instead of the updated 7753 that they use in the Big Eye (which I think is a fab movement).

I had a few queries - how often do you end up junking the DD module and having to replace with a new one (if at all?). And for 7750s, are parts still available or have you experienced difficulties with that too?
    7750 parts are everywhere and really easy to get hold of. Parts for the chrono modules far less available, unless you are an authorised repairer.

The modules don't always need to be serviced, you check this by placing the whole movement it on a timing machine and then measuring the drop in amplitude between the chronograph running or not. Then the decision is made to either bin it and replace (if working at a manufacturers service site) to service it or to leave it as is because it falls within specification.

Most places seem to just service the movement and ignore the module, so do check if using an independent before that they know how to check the modules and are capable of servicing them.

Personally I prefer to service something like a 7750 because it is easier to work on. The modules are not as easy as a standard chronograph movement, especially if you have to adjust them, depthing the engagement for example isn't straightforward.
    If I was looking to buy a watch and one had a module chronograph and the other a chronograph movement I would buy the chronograph movement. More people can work on it, less chance of it being bodged in the past and parts are more available.

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    7750 parts are everywhere and really easy to get hold of. Parts for the chrono modules far less available, unless you are an authorised repairer.

The modules don't always need to be serviced, you check this by placing the whole movement it on a timing machine and then measuring the drop in amplitude between the chronograph running or not. Then the decision is made to either bin it and replace (if working at a manufacturers service site) to service it or to leave it as is because it falls within specification.

Most places seem to just service the movement and ignore the module, so do check if using an independent before that they know how to check the modules and are capable of servicing them.

Personally I prefer to service something like a 7750 because it is easier to work on. The modules are not as easy as a standard chronograph movement, especially if you have to adjust them, depthing the engagement for example isn't straightforward.
    If I was looking to buy a watch and one had a module chronograph and the other a chronograph movement I would buy the chronograph movement. More people can work on it, less chance of it being bodged in the past and parts are more available.
    I appreciate the answer, many thanks!!!

I have a tudor heritage monte carlo chrono which uses this chrono module.Anyone know the price at tudor to do a service?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post

Yes thanks very much for the additional insight, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I also very much like the look of the Bell & Ross, but their use of the 2894-2 has put me off, particularly at the price. I use the chronograph quite a bit.

If it was a Swatch Group product (e.g. Longines) I'd be less bothered as it would be cheaper and they've got all the parts / would probably just swap out the module at service.

Agree that it would be different if it was from one of the big groups, or if it was new or under warranty.