closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Reading incident thoughts and prayers

Reading incident thoughts and prayers

Seeing on the news of an awful incident in Reading possibly linked to one of the protests, thoughts and prayers to all involved and hope with all my heart it is not as bad as it sounds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Seeing on the news of an awful incident in Reading possibly linked to one of the protests, thoughts and prayers to all involved and hope with all my heart it is not as bad as it sounds!

Let's hold fire on the guesswork:

The incident is not thought to be connected to an earlier Black Lives Matter protest in the park, but this is yet to be confirmed.

Nieema Hassan said in a video message posted to Facebook: "They were very peaceful and we worked with the police liaison.

"In terms of the protest and the people who attended from Black Lives Matter, we're all safe.

"None of us are affected. We had all left by the time this happened."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-53123975

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Let's hold fire on the guesswork:

The incident is not thought to be connected to an earlier Black Lives Matter protest in the park, but this is yet to be confirmed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-53123975
    Yeah appreciate that. I put that on as what was initially reported on sky news. Regardless of what it is to do with it’s horrible!

Looks like it's a terror incident according to Sky News. I hope any one caught up in this are ok.

Do "prayers" contravene one of the basic tenets of this area of the forum ??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I'm a fairly militant atheist myself, but I wouldn't say so. Perhaps if the OP had gone on to make an earnest justification for doing that, or implore the rest of us to have a go, the line would have been crossed.

Anyway my thoughts go out to people affected by this, but no prayers.

What a ridiculous statement! My prayers are with the victims and all those effected, my statement has nothing to do with politics! And my religion isn’t specified so all religions can pray for those involved!

Sorry I mentioned it.

Merry Christmas. Oops, that's religion involved now too.

Three dead so far and others critical, another sad day for some poor families.

Grand Master
    When people and moreso MPs say " Our Thoughts and Prayers" how long are peoples thoughts on the subject,and do they actually pray.

Its just the use of words that make them sound good......do it then.

Rather like when there has been a scandal of some sorts,or something has been leaked........

"We will learn from our mistkes"!,What they mean is,they will try harder to hide it next time.

Just my rant on the typical saying at awful times,as this very much is.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    When people and moreso MPs say " Our Thoughts and Prayers" how long are peoples thoughts on the subject,and do they actually pray.
    I'd guess less than 10%.

Now declared a terrorist incident.

Shocking news and rather close to home for me.

I walked through Forbury Gardens a few hours before this happened - it was pretty crowded, what with the decent weather and the earlier BLM rally.

Without wanting to minimise what happened, I guess it could have been a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post

Its just the use of words that make them sound good......do it then.

Rather like when there has been a scandal of some sorts,or something has been leaked........

"We will learn from our mistkes"!,What they mean is,they will try harder to hide it next time.

Just my rant on the typical saying at awful times,as this very much is.
    Like saying RIP if you’re not religious. Someone is dead, they’re not resting in peace or otherwise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Shocking news and rather close to home for me.

I walked through Forbury Gardens a few hours before this happened - it was pretty crowded, what with the decent weather and the earlier BLM rally.

Without wanting to minimise what happened, I guess it could have been a lot worse.
    Binfield here, so not too far away but felt very close to home with something like this. Awful times.

Now that it's known that this was a terrorist incident, it seems he was known to MI5 since 2019. Why aren't these asylum seekers just deported as soon as they become known to the security services instead of letting them loose in the name of Allah on innocent people.
    We are far too soft on these terrorists, and it'll happen again. We never learn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Now that it's known that this was a terrorist incident, it seems he was known to MI5 since 2019. Why aren't these asylum seekers just deported as soon as they become known to the security services instead of letting them loose in the name of Allah on innocent people.
    We are far too soft on these terrorists, and it'll happen again. We never learn.
    Rod
    Whilst i agree with your views you have posted in the wrong forum should be in apologist corner or as it’s known the BP
    Last edited by mart broad; 21st June 2020 at 19:50.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

He isn’t an asylum seeker.

Because they are rediculous and have truly awful decision making that beggars belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    He isn’t an asylum seeker.
    Nope they had already given him Asylum.

Blog Entries
    Another terrorist attack killing random innocent people it seems. Deepest condolences to the families of those hurt, I'm sure most would agree.
    From the report, it seems whilst people tried to run away our brave police ran towards the danger to protect the public. Something we should perhaps remember.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

RIP to the victims, an appalling, senseless loss of life.

Amazing job by the police - one should never forget that our officers are mostly unarmed and therefore the level of bravery and skill it takes to neutralise the threat from armed assailants intent on murder is incredible. Compare that with (as an example) the gun toting 'shoot and ask questions later' officers in the US.

I hope that suitable 'questioning' of the perpetrator uncovers some other terrorist cells that our security forces can neutralise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    RIP to the victims, an appalling, senseless loss of life.

Amazing job by the police - one should never forget that our officers are mostly unarmed and therefore the level of bravery and skill it takes to neutralise the threat from armed assailants intent on murder is incredible. Compare that with (as an example) the gun toting 'shoot and ask questions later' officers in the US.

I hope that suitable 'questioning' of the perpetrator uncovers some other terrorist cells that our security forces can neutralise.
    I think a lot of police officers in the USA would be offended by your generalisation, and quite rightly so.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Nope they had already given him Asylum.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Do you really think one guy running into a park with a knife and stabbing anyone he can get near is part of cell? I don't care where he's from or who he prays to that he isn't part of a cell let alone a one man cell. If he was part of a cell he would have managed something more substantial than a knife and a lot more than three people would be dead right now.

You can guess how many people are on the radar of the security services at any one time and simply being on their radar doesn't automatically mean you're guilty of anything, out or deported. That's total nonsense and you must see this but chose to ignore it.

Why anyone would want to cause harm to/in a country who let you in when you needed asylum I will never know. Why you would let people out of prison after a mere few years when they've been sentenced to terrorism offensives (Fishmongers' Hall) I also do not know.

I'd be curious to know what you think the UK should do to go from soft to hard. I can probably imagine some of what you'd suggest but want to at least have some positive intent.

I lived around Reading for nearly 40 years before relocating and although it has its problem areas like any large diverse town it always felt like a safe place to me. I spent over 10 years cycling round every area good and bad when I worked for the council without worries.

On Saturday I was staying with my eldest Daughter in Cemetry Junction and we talked about walking down to the Forbury early evening - one of our favourite places - with my two grandsons. Thanks goodness we didn't go.

It brings home the fact that this kind of thing can happen anywhere and is hard to prevent.

Condolences to the families and hope that the injured recover soon.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Do you really think one guy running into a park with a knife and stabbing anyone he can get near is part of cell? I don't care where he's from or who he prays to that he isn't part of a cell let alone a one man cell. If he was part of a cell he would have managed something more substantial than a knife and a lot more than three people would be dead right now.
    No idea tbh. Whether he was or not, I can imagine he 'believed' powerfully that he was part of something bigger, chances are he must've done otherwise why/how else commit an atrocity upon random strangers, then that's surely still a large part of dealing with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    No idea tbh. Whether he was or not, I can imagine he 'believed' powerfully that he was part of something bigger, chances are he must've done otherwise why/how else commit an atrocity upon random strangers, then that's surely still a large part of dealing with this problem.
    That's exactly the point. More than likely he is a delusional fantasist who wanted to be part of something rather than someone who was actually part of a cell or any bigger terror organisation. Lock him up and throw away the key but don't expect you've arrested a cog in a larger machine or he can tell the authorities anything of value.

Blog Entries
    That's exactly the point. More than likely he is a delusional fantasist who wanted to be part of something rather than someone who was actually part of a cell or any bigger terror organisation. Lock him up and throw away the key but don't expect you've arrested a cog in a larger machine or he can tell the authorities anything of value.
    I believe I heard on the news that he also had regular visits from mental health services…

This could be a little more nuanced?

They're all delusional fantasists, lets be clear, some will be more lethal than others. Doesn't matter if there is /is'nt a bigger terror organisation when there's 40,000 of these schmucks currently roaming the streets, having to be monitored.
    Stay alert.