closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Busy are the Shops near You?

How Busy are the Shops near You?

Kingston Upon Thames here in South West London. Bentall Centre and Kingston Shopping district is absolutely rammed and not with time wasters out spending no money- plenty of store shopping bags on display. Ernest Jones and Chisholm Hunter both rammed. Mappin & Webb a bit less so due to what appears to be a nightclub bouncer on the door. I must admit I was quite heartened - augurs well for an economic bounceback. That being said South West London isn't representative of much of the UK so I'd be be interested to see how busy things are elsewhere as a kind of economic barometer.

Master
    The lockdown has meant many people have spent less and now have money burning in their pockets. I have spent bugger all when locked up inside the house and most of my money is going eating out in outdoor restaurants. No way would I eat indoors even with 10 meters social distancing.

The main worry with a spending boom is if it is done on the credit card. It may be a stupid habit not to to clear your debts each and every month but people do it just to spend on fripperies.

Craftsman
    Same here, shops are very busy and lots of people out buying. Fingers crossed it means that there will be a bounce back and things will begin to pick up. Also I hope people who lost their jobs find news one, or are re-hired. We need people back to work and spending again.

The bookies seemed to have a few people in it when I went through the village earlier and the guy in the hardware store said he had sold two wheelbarrows.

Master
    Had something to collect near New Oxford Street yesterday, mid afternoon. I was a bit early so detoured down the local section of Regent St too. Lots of shoppers around and as you say lots of bags but all from one of Zara, H&M, Primark or Sports Direct. The more high end shops such as Liberty and Canada Goose had no queues/people obviously inside and no bags from either of them that I saw.

Suggests that people are keen to spend on lower cost items but not splash out on more expensive things although doesn't fit with jewellers being popular!

Master
    That's one way of getting your winnings home.

Master
    It looked as though people were waiting about an hour to go in to primark very sad

Fairly quiet by us yesterday.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Portsmouth seems pretty busy, but Gunwharf Quays has a one-way system and it seems to be working. I've seen whole families carrying bags and bags of shopping.

Finished work early and walked through Chichester on my way home, its mainly small shops here plus a decent sized M&S but most are open. Busiest Ive seen Chi in months obviously but I didnt see big queues to go into the shops apart from Marks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    It looked as though people were waiting about an hour to go in to primark very sad
    Why Sad?

Master
    Im sure I read that in April there as 23b sitting in bank accounts that would normally have been spent and hadnt. If May was similar thats a lot of money burning holes in peoples pockets!

I also read that 7.5b was paid off/came down credit card and loan debt in March and April which is a record apparently.

Our local shopping centre isnt that busy but then again its crap to be honest. One of the shop managers said their online sales had boomed.

Craftsman
    Fairly busy in our local High Street today (Upminster) with a small queue outside most shops except for Marks's food hall which was large and not moving. Bought a few bits and it was good to see some life about instead of looking like a ghost town.

Master
    Blog Entries
    After watching the queues on New St on Monday I was dreading visiting a contract we are working on in New St. I arrived about 9.50 parked up in Snow Hill car park which above the first two levels it was empty. I walked down to the job, the streets were empty, as were the shops. When I left at 12.30 there was not much change.

I really do fear for our High Streets, just cannot see foot fall returning to pre Pandemic levels for a long time, which may be to late for many retailers. Sad and lean times ahead me thinks

Master
    For every loser there is a winner. Amazon are on a recruitment drive and the reason being that we, the great British public, are switching rapidly to online shopping. The is the way of the world since time immemorial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Why Sad?
    That after lock down with so many shops now open people are wanting to queue up outside primark

Blog Entries
    Has the virus gone away then?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Yes, why very sad?
    "A man of little significance"

I'll admit, I used to be quite happy going round the shops but I can't imagine anything worse than going shopping right now...I'll only go for stuff I actually need like food. It's a miserable experience of queuing and being afraid that you've broken one of the myriad of rules each shop has implemented differently from the next. I feel like I'm constantly looking over my shoulder in case a store employee is watching me do something against their rules. Add to that lots of patronising virtue signalling that the supermarkets seem to love and I'm just not interested in leaving the house to go to shops.

Pret amused me...lots of big perspex barriers between customer and worker...kind of pseudo-bank like. But they obviously have trouble handing over your cup of coffee through a barrier...solution, cut a huge hole right at about face level. What is the point?!

I had to go to town today to pick up some keys from the estate agent. I walked past a queue that wasn't moving and stretched round the block to get into TK Maxx. I can't imagine there's any product in that store that anyone would really need to stand in a miserable couple of hundred metre queue for. Made me think quite a lot of people really need to find themselves a good hobby, passtime or sport.

The other thing that astounded me last week was the queue of cars for McDonalds drive-through. It was massive...looked like you'd be waiting a good 40 minutes at least. I don't mind a McDonalds but no way would I wait even 20-minutes for something which is meant to be fast food.

The only reason to go shopping at the moment is for essentials. Either food or if you get the Call.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Yes, why very sad?
    I find it sad that people would take the risk of catching the virus, and perhaps passing it on to friends and relatives. I think public health is more important than some cheap socks.

Blog Entries
    I have absolutely no idea as i avoid shops and shopping centres like the plague or should that be virus my Tesco superstore is busy but very well controlled but i will be out today to get some bird and dog food.
    Like many i cannot understand the need to queue round the block for any store when we have the net? but i believe Primark do not have this service and i really need my “ demo” outfit and as to Maccy D’s
    In my neck of the woods our local farm shops have been busy and i am hoping that continues in one a child said to her Mother why are those potatoes so dirty ? that’s how they come out of the ground dear was the reply.
    Last edited by mart broad; 21st June 2020 at 09:26.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    I can’t comment as I haven’t been shopping - I’m at an age when I have all the “stuff” I need - actually trying to sell it off on eBay etc. Also grow my own veg and fruit - don’t have a cow so need milk and cheese from time to time.

I still fancy the odd watch though.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st June 2020 at 09:34.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    That after lock down with so many shops now open people are wanting to queue up outside primark
    How very snobbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The only reason to go shopping at the moment is for essentials. Either food or if you get the Call.
    Only if you want to live in fear/a bubble for the rest of your life , or you have a serious underlying health condition.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I find it sad that people would take the risk of catching the virus, and perhaps passing it on to friends and relatives. I think public health is more important than some cheap socks.
    See above. Plus the benefit of public mental health is important as well. Plus the economy cant sit and stagnate for ever. Life has to resume and people need to get out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Kingston Upon Thames here in South West London. Bentall Centre and Kingston Shopping district is absolutely rammed and not with time wasters out spending no money- plenty of store shopping bags on display. Ernest Jones and Chisholm Hunter both rammed. Mappin & Webb a bit less so due to what appears to be a nightclub bouncer on the door. I must admit I was quite heartened - augurs well for an economic bounceback. That being said South West London isn't representative of much of the UK so I'd be be interested to see how busy things are elsewhere as a kind of economic barometer.
    Just one thing..........Kingston IS NOT South West London.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Just one thing..........Kingston IS NOT South West London.
    But it is south west greater London.

I'd rather repeatedly stab myself in the face with a rusty screwdriver than visit a shopping centre, never mind a shopping centre in the midst of a deadly virus pandemic.

I know the economy has to get moving again, but bloody hell! Now pubs and gigs, that's different, and I will offer my full support

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post

Only if you want to live in fear/a bubble for the rest of your life , or you have a serious underlying health condition...........................

Well I'd rather be careful and live a bit longer to be honest, than risk catching a virus which is still in circulation, for the sake of going out shopping for things I can buy online, or a pub meal. Many people who didn't have 'a serious underlying health condition' have died.

See above. Plus the benefit of public mental health is important as well. Plus the economy cant sit and stagnate for ever. Life has to resume and people need to get out.
    Would you be so eager for people to resume their lives and get out if the virus mainly killed children, and most older people survived? Or would you be calling those older people who were unaffected selfish for wanting to?

Master
    Well I'd rather be careful and live a bit longer to be honest, than risk catching a virus which is still in circulation, for the sake of going out shopping for things I can buy online, or a pub meal. Many people who didn't have 'a serious underlying health condition' have died.

Would you be so eager for people to resume their lives and get out if the virus mainly killed children, and most older people survived? Or would you be calling those older people who were unaffected selfish for wanting to?
    You and I are old geezers and hence vulnerable. We can always self isolate if needs be and let the younger lot work their asses off to keep the economy going.

It's compromise on both sides.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

If & buts & maybes.

The virus is going nowhere ; you either live with it or sit huddled in your bedroom for all eternity ordering from Amazon.

Playing devils advocate, I personally have much more of an emotional response when I've visited Great Ormond Street compared to visiting a hospital with sick over 80-year olds. Feels like it would be morally right to adopt a vastly different approach in the way you handle each of those scenarios.

Master
    My reasons for not going shopping in person have absolutely no relation to the risk of catching coronavirus whatsoever.

One reason go shopping because there is something specific that I "need" and either cannot get it delivered or the cost of doing so is uneconomic. Recent example was tester paint pots where the delivery was a lot more than the item (and yes I realise that those are not essential for life...!). This I still do, mostly for purchasing food but occasionally other things.

The other reason is for the experience or to see what is available that I might not have thought of purchasing without seeing it. A recent pre-lockdown example was a trip to the O2 outlet centre on the way back from somewhere where I ended up getting a nice wool jacket I would not have particularly ordered online. I tried a few on, looked in various shops and then decided which to purchase based on material quality and fit etc. I realise that the majority of forum members might not consider shopping an "experience" but I think a large proportion of the population do.

It is the latter that I am no longer doing and do not forsee doing in the near future. Standing in a queue outside each shop, not being able to browse or touch anything whilst inside, not trying anything on at all or only if I was almost certain to buy it, looking at everyone through massive Perspex screens, not stopping for a lunch or coffee inside a cafe and potentially having to queue for parking or buses/tubes to get there and back is not something I consider a nice experience. I see no point in doing something if you don't have to do it and the experience is not enjoyable and I fear that this may apply to pubs and restaurants when they open in July too...

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    It is the latter that I am no longer doing and do not forsee doing in the near future. Standing in a queue outside each shop, not being able to browse or touch anything whilst inside, not trying anything on at all or only if I was almost certain to buy it, looking at everyone through massive Perspex screens, not stopping for a lunch or coffee inside a cafe and potentially having to queue for parking or buses/tubes to get there and back is not something I consider a nice experience. I see no point in doing something if you don't have to do it and the experience is not enjoyable and I fear that this may apply to pubs and restaurants when they open in July too...
    My thoughts exactly. When I walked past all the shops yesterday with big perspex screens and people with masks and faceshields on, I definitely felt sad we don't have the life we had a few months ago. I was wondering how long we will be enduring them and how long it will be before we can start taking the barriers down.

Slightly digressing and I know its not something that would interest many here, but one of my other interests is dance music and I used to enjoy the occasional trip to proper clubs like Fabric. Whereas at least shops will recover, I think this situation could end nightlife and club culture. I can't see how venues like Fabric can afford to remain closed nor can I see how they could ever open up until the virus is pretty much non-existent in the UK. There was always a pressure on these venues from residential development and I think this could be the end of them.
    Last edited by Christian; 21st June 2020 at 12:56.

Blog Entries
    If & buts & maybes.

The virus is going nowhere ; you either live with it or sit huddled in your bedroom for all eternity ordering from Amazon.
    Dying ain't much of a living.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Playing devils advocate, I personally have much more of an emotional response when I've visited Great Ormond Street compared to visiting a hospital with sick over 80-year olds. Feels like it would be morally right to adopt a vastly different approach in the way you handle each of those scenarios.
    So some people are worth more than others depending on age. How about disability? Or other differences?

So some people are worth more than others depending on age. How about disability? Or other differences?
    That line of argument tries to elude to racist and nazi-like behaviours and I think it's a lazy rebuttal tactic often used to try and shut discussion down by shaming the opposition but in this case, I don't think it works like that.

I think a virus that targetted children with 70 years of average lifespan ahead of them would be treated differently to one that on average sadly takes months of life away from an 85 year old, on both an emotional level and a survival of species level. And I don't feel like saying that is subscribing to any nazi or far-right like ideals...it's just a fact of life.

I've got friends on facebook whose two children have just developed a rare life-threatening cancer. I find that much sadder than when I hear another friends grandparent has just died of cancer aged 85. Isn't the age thing why we hear "they had a good innings" versus "they were taken far too soon"?

I know we should do our best to protect all life and I'm not saying we should be cavalier with our attitude to the current situation...we should protect the vulnerable, but I think society's response to the two hypothetical situations you proposed would be morally and justifiably different without trying to argue ageism or imply racism or targetting the vulnerable.

Edit: My bad...that's real thread drift...I'm arguing because I'm bored. I should probably go to Primark.
    Last edited by Christian; 21st June 2020 at 14:32.

How Busy are the Shops near You?

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I have absolutely no idea as i avoid shops and shopping centres like the plague or should that be virus my Tesco superstore is busy but very well controlled but i will be out today to get some bird and dog food.
    Like many i cannot understand the need to queue round the block for any store when we have the net? but i believe Primark do not have this service and i really need my “ demo” outfit and as to Maccy D’s
    In my neck of the woods our local farm shops have been busy and i am hoping that continues in one a child said to her Mother why are those potatoes so dirty ? that’s how they come out of the ground dear was the reply.
    Mud left on potatoes so people think they come from the farm whereas most stuff probably comes from the wholesalers that market traders and similar use.

Only if you want to live in fear/a bubble for the rest of your life , or you have a serious underlying health condition.
    No, I can wait until the risk is much lower which (unless I die soon) wont be for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 21st June 2020 at 13:39.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No idea as I dont like shopping. Lots of people cycling in the lanes of rural Kent and very busy at the beaches as I rode past.

Most seem to think the virus has gone. Looks like a second wave is looming in the USA, maybe us next.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

Most seem to think the virus has gone. Looks like a second wave is looming in the USA, maybe us next.
    Im not sure that most people think the virus has gone, more that they understand better what precautions they need to take to minimise risk, and probably feel more comfortable being out.

I was away with work for two nights last week, felt very odd to be away after 3 months at home every night, but I was encouraged to see everybody taking sensible precautions and although it felt strange I didnt feel unsafe.

If everybody, as in the large majority, carry on doing what theyre doing then I cant see how a second wave can take hold, although its clear that this virus is around for some time yet sadly and we arent returning to normal soon.

Master
    But it is south west greater London.
    It is in Surrey.

Master
    Most shops still shut here but surprised to see a nail bar open-but empty of clients- cant be any safer then a hair dresser surely? into the butchers for the click and collect meat package, bank to deposit a couple of cheques and home, all done with no hassle, apart from the junkie/wino beggars that are getting desperate due to low footfall in the streets.

It is in Surrey.
    Yep, it's not within London postal district, it has a KT post code.

It is within Greater London though. Kingston-Upon-Thames is a Borough of London. The council is Kingston-Upon-Thames London Borough Council.

It is in Surrey.
    Seems like it is in London. Southwest London.

As you were gents.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Seems like it is in London. Southwest London.

As you were gents.
    Yes, I was defending your point. This is exactly what I was saying...being in Surrey and being in a Borough of London are not mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by Christian; 21st June 2020 at 16:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Most shops still shut here but surprised to see a nail bar open-but empty of clients- cant be any safer then a hair dresser surely?
    If you looked at their books, they would have been full of customers, absolutely full. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Most shops still shut here but surprised to see a nail bar open-but empty of clients- cant be any safer then a hair dresser surely? into the butchers for the click and collect meat package, bank to deposit a couple of cheques and home, all done with no hassle, apart from the junkie/wino beggars that are getting desperate due to low footfall in the streets.
    Id think it is safer. Could even be a screen (with arm holes obviously) between customer and client. Not so with hairdressers.

Took a walk through Kings Cross, Coal Drops Yard, Granary Square etc. today....only shops with a queue were Waitrose and the Nike Outlet. Every other shop had more assistants than customers....many were still closed.
    It was very very far from normal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Mud left on potatoes so people think they come from the farm whereas most stuff probably comes from the wholesalers that market traders and similar use.

Unfortunately true. SWMBO's uncle, who grows produce to sell at markets and wholesale, has a farm shop in the village, where they only sell produce they have grown and eggs from a local farm. Another 'farm shop' in the village make regular trips to the local wholesalers and probably only grow 10% of their produce. That being the case at least the produce is mainly grown locally, so not such a bad thing really.

Blog Entries
    Obviously on good terms with your postman!