closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Yachtmaster 42mm

Master

The Yachtmaster 42mm

So, now there are 37mm, 40mm and this 42mm versions of the Yachtmaster in gold. Only the 42 is currently offered in white gold, which gives a more stealthy look.

To me, its probably the best looking current Rolex; big claim, but it is a handsome thing. The contrast between the various shades of black, and the Matt strap, give interest to what is basically a sombre design. Anyway, people will make up their own minds. I don’t find it especially big, perhaps because the case is slim.
    Finally, there’s a glidelock, 15mm, long overdue.[IMhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200620/08dc0d8a79f8c2c7c8b29efe19bb38a1.jpg[/IMG]
    I hope that the curved elegance of the case will influence the design of any new Submariner. But we will see. The design pulls off the interesting trick of being both familiar, and unfamiliar, at the same time. As if you both recognise it and don’t .
    My partner calls it ‘˜that watch with the plastic strap ‘ but she is coming round.
    It’s my only Rolex, and only mechanical watch, so it needs to please me. And it does.
    Here are a 40mm and 39mm in comparison .
    Come to think of it, that’s my entire watch ‘collection.’
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th June 2020 at 12:52.

Blog Entries
    Must admit I do like the look of that. Not usually a fan of rubber straps but that looks nice.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I love it, just wish I had the wonga for it!

Master
    Yes I also like it, the stealthy appearance is very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I hope that the curved elegance of the case will influence the design of any new Submariner.
    I think it's t'other way about, the YM is a Sub derivative. A posh Sub.

Master

The Yachtmaster 42mm

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I think it's t'other way about, the YM is a Sub derivative. A posh Sub.
    I understand that view....but the Yachtmaster is noticeably less ‘blocky’ than the maxi-case designs. It seems to go further down the route started with the SD43, with curvier lugs and more elegance. So yes,it does hark back to submariner designs, but from earlier decades.
    In some ways it “borrows” from Rolex history , which is a Rolex habit of course.

The first of these gold Yachtmaster versions came five years ago, so this case shape has been evolving, along with the strap, sorry ‘bracelet’ . It’s taken all this time to add a glidelock. Why?
    Last edited by paskinner; 21st June 2020 at 10:26.

Master
    I think, may be wrong but... Think the ym was the first sports watch with the large of fat crown guards of the maxi case. So yes of course any watch can be the first to get a bit of new design that then becomes synonymous with sports Rolex.
    Like most, I view it as a posh sub too. Looks smart, if I had the money!

Master

The 42 WG is lovely. I think I must have chunky wrists but the smaller size YM doesn’t look right on the chunky monkey wrists.

Master

The Yachtmaster 42mm

It is the stealthy look that drew me to the YM11 in WG, I will say that I think the everose is the much nicer of the watches but at 40mm, and imho wearing smaller, it was never an option for me.

I love everything about the 42, the oysterflex is supremely comfortable, the heft of the WG is very nice. Some say the large indices are out of proportion where I would disagree in that they are very legible and absolutely fine with the 42mm case. The bezel, the mix of matt and polished is sublime.

Is it my favourite Rolex? No, that still remains the Skydweller, but, it is a very very very close joint second.

Last edited by Nev; 21st June 2020 at 11:27.

Master
    The dealer had to make several attempts at finding the optimal strap settings for me even after measuring, etc.
    Reading about dealers keeping links or selling the additional ones I think it was worth taking the time to get the right strap from the outset.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    The dealer had to make several attempts at finding the optimal strap settings for me even after measuring, etc.
    Reading about dealers keeping links or selling the additional ones I think it was worth taking the time to get the right strap from the outset.
    Absolutely agree, I had the measuring done in advance and it was no where near it was supposed to be, then we ended up trying to "cobble" together the correct lengths to get a correct fit. Anything but perfect and TBH a RRPITA. If there is one negative it can be the fitting of the oysterflex.

Master
    Yes, the Oysterflex is a bit of a pain to size, even with the adjustments . The dealer had several options so it got sorted, but I can’t help wondering if a simple tang fixing wouldn’t make sense. All in all, I have reservations about the Oysterflex, but the colouring is right for the YM42. In general, I’m more of a proper bracelet man.

Craftsman
    I like both the 40 and 42 YM, the WG is definitely more toned down, on balance though defensively prefer the Everose 40.

The colour combo is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the PM YatchMasters on Oysterflex but hate all of the YatchMaster II variants. It's odd they are part of the same family. I think the RG more under the radar than the WG due to the lug polishing but it would be interesting to see both in a 42mm. I've tried on the 40 in RG and it was lovely but too small.

When I saw you mention you had an incoming I did wonder....now I know.

I love it, it looks amazing and I would seriously trade a couple for that. Thinking about it I no longer have a Rolex I wear on rubber and i’m missing it. This looks perfect in lots of ways.

Congratulations on this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    When I saw you mention you had an incoming I did wonder....now I know.

I love it, it looks amazing and I would seriously trade a couple for that. Thinking about it I no longer have a Rolex I wear on rubber and i’m missing it. This looks perfect in lots of ways.

Congratulations on this.
    Thanks ....you know it’s been on my mind for quite a while. Over a year in fact.. I narrowly missed one before, but this time two ADs both came up with one within 24 hours. I got It from Simon. Strange to have a ‘proper’ mechanical watch again. Got rather used to the ease of quartz. But it’s like having a real cat rather than a stuffed one.
    Last edited by paskinner; 21st June 2020 at 20:22.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Thanks ....you know it’s been on my mind for quite a while. Over a year in fact.. I narrowly missed one before, but this time two ADs both came up with one within 24 hours. I got It from Simon. Strange to have a ‘proper’ mechanical watch again. Got rather used to the ease of quartz. But it’s like having a real cat rather than a stuffed one.
    That’s great, and i’m pleased Simon was able to help you again. He’s doing well out of your love for precious metal. I can’t wait to see this one in the flesh, I think it looks very special.