closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'll just leave this here

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I started it with Kemmner 6 years ago, the drawing at the top of the thread is from my current manufacturer. I mentioned to him that I wanted to do it in the past and without asking, he sent me the drawing.

This is as far as I got with Kemmner:

Eddie
    Yes, this makes sense. The 9039 was only introduced in 2018 so this would have to be a relatively recent drawing.

The white dial version looks spot on. I echo the comments about darker hour indices.
    If you were to go down the route of producing it how about a faded Bezel and a ‘tropical’ dial.
    The vintage vibe would be there and I can’t imagine a lot of people complaining.
    Omega certainly doesn’t do an ‘aged version’ of this...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The adjusted design, looks very nice. I agree with the comments that the cream dial needs darker numerals to make it easier to read? Although the design has some cues from the late 1950s Omega Ranchero it is not a replica, to me it is more important that the design works well as a Smiths watch. The Everest expedition is an excellent example of an original design with links to the past. Well done Eddie

Apprentice
    I like it just as is. Granted, it’s very close to the Omega original. But that doesn’t bother me overly as long as it’s not a slavish copy.

I think it looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes sense, the drawing does very much have the current house style about it. A new version of an older concept.
    I take it from the earlier comments that this is a stillborn project though, as it is a current Omega model.
    Are you not tempted to make an adjustment (to the bezel for instance) and go ahead. I have always though that the original bezel was odd for the gap it left between the dial/crystal and the numeric scale.

The cream-dialled version is definitely not current Omega, or past for that matter. Just saying.....

Journeyman
    Just stick it in the 'Baby' Willard case, change the bezel insert, and I'll take it with me

Journeyman
    I'd be in for this. No doubt. Love the style.

Wow it is very nice, Eddie.

Eddie
    Sent from my MI MAX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Looks too much like a Steinhart Seamaster 300. I really like the design, but releasing it would veer too far towards being a pastiche.

I have always liked the Seamaster 300 though, and the equivalent Railmaster.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Very, very nice but again, a bit too close to the Seamaster 300 for me personally. Haven't you ever considered remaking one of the old Smiths divers?

I'd love to see this developed by Eddie. It's fantastic!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I'd love to see this developed by Eddie. It's fantastic!
    So would i, seriously cool watch this is.

Master
    I think both the Conquistador and the Sea-Serpent look great.

I can't really understand the complaints about the bezel (?) and think the Count-down, rather than Time-lapse makes an interesting alternative to the norm.

Yes, it does look similar to a Seamaster 300 - but that was harking back to an old design as is this.

The Seamaster is £5,650 - whereas, using the Everest prices as a yard-stick, this would probably be £350-£450 (maybe a bit more as no-doubt Miyota's prices have gone up)?

Timefactors watches are great quality - so IMHO offer exceptional value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    I think both the Conquistador and the Sea-Serpent look great.

I can't really understand the complaints about the bezel (?) and think the Count-down, rather than Time-lapse makes an interesting alternative to the norm.

Yes, it does look similar to a Seamaster 300 - but that was harking back to an old design as is this.

The Seamaster is £5,650 - whereas, using the Everest prices as a yard-stick, this would probably be £350-£450 (maybe a bit more as no-doubt Miyota's prices have gone up)?

Timefactors watches are great quality - so IMHO offer exceptional value for money.
    I’m with you 100% on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    Looks too much like a Steinhart Seamaster 300. I really like the design, but releasing it would veer too far towards being a pastiche.

I have always liked the Seamaster 300 though, and the equivalent Railmaster.

Link to the Steinhart Seamaster please?

I'd buy this in a heart beat

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Gutted! But this would be straying into the realms of copyright infringement I guess?

I've got a vintage Hamilton with the same bezel design, well it would if one wasn't missing but it was meant to have the same design.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Link to the Steinhart Seamaster please?
    If only. Said in jest given their propensity for releasing homages to Rolex models.

Craftsman
    Only thing not doing it for me is the count down bezel. I dived for years (BSAC 1st class diver) and there was only the count up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Only thing not doing it for me is the count down bezel. I dived for years (BSAC 1st class diver) and there was only the count up.
    I must admit - I quite liked the bezel as it's a bit different - and if you knew what your max bottom time was in some ways would provide a quick reference as to when it was time to surface.

There are a few out there however, as shown in this article https://iknowwatches.com/parts/countdown-bezel/

Floats my boat, I’d buy one of these. No negative comments I actually like it as is but then I’m a big sm300 fan.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I must admit - I quite liked the bezel as it's a bit different - and if you knew what your max bottom time was in some ways would provide a quick reference as to when it was time to surface.

There are a few out there however, as shown in this article https://iknowwatches.com/parts/countdown-bezel/
    Know what you mean, but more of a pilot thing than a diving thing I think. I would have more use for a count up though. Either way the render looks good. I like the idea of a "dressy" diver.

As someone who cannot afford a 300 yet , its a lovely homage that I hope to be able to buy

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Respect.

(And I agree about the count up).

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 30th June 2020 at 22:03.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Come on, Eddie! You know you want to...

Journeyman
    Please make this happen...

Quote Originally Posted by SussexScots View Post
    Please make this happen...
    +1

Journeyman
    Making a copy of a discontinued watch like the IWC is one thing - but this is a straight copy of a current Omega model (the 1957 Seamaster). Not sure this the the best way to 'build up' the Smiths brand - lets have a bit of originality somewhere .... or is it just going to be a homage brand now?
    Last edited by Drumcairn; 1st July 2020 at 19:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcairn View Post
    Making a copy of a discontinued watch like the IWC is one thing - but this is a straight copy of a current Omega model (the 1957 Seamaster). Not sure this the the best way to 'build up' the Smiths brand - lets have a bit of originality somewhere .... or is it just going to be a homage brand now?
    So the Dreadnought, PRS-40, PRS-36, Radio Room PRS-28 and Black Shadow aren’t original then!?

Master
    I’d love to see a copy of a Paul Newman or a mil sub I’d definitely be interested!

I swore off getting any further divers, but this?

Hm.

Very hm.

Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    I’d love to see a copy of a Paul Newman or a mil sub I’d definitely be interested!

I'd really like to see this taken on by Eddie.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post

That with Mil-sub hands would be superb!

Do you know what size it is?
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Journeyman
    So the Dreadnought, PRS-40, PRS-36, Radio Room PRS-28 and Black Shadow aren’t original then!?

And all the better for it - I realise when this design was first put forward as a Precista it was a homage to an old Omega but Omega themselves have since reissued it as part of the 1957 Trilogy. I also realise its almost impossible to get an original design nowadays and the odd homage is ok for iconic no-longer-available designs (Baby Willard, Navigator...) - he seems to be testing the water for this as another.
    Last edited by Drumcairn; 3rd July 2020 at 10:16.

I think Eddie should do this in a really nice dark Navy blue and the cream, thus avoiding the obvious '57 Re-issue comparison.
    It would look great in both colours
    Dave

Journeyman
    This does raise an interesting question about Smiths going forward - Eddie has talked about building up the brand, but what will that brand be or stand for in the future?

It could simply become a 'copy-cat' brand like Steinhart - taking a classic watch, copying it and putting Smiths on the face. There is probably brand awareness and money to be made in that direction, but it would not interest me and I hope Eddie does not move in that direction with the precious Smiths name. If that's a plan, fair enough but I'd use one of the other brand names.

To my mind, it would be much better if Smiths continued in the direction of the PRS 29, Everest expedition and the new Navigator watch. In other words, remake or re-imagine old Smiths designs, first and foremost, or at the very least imagine a watch that Smiths might have made, if they'd stayed around. If there are to be 'homage' watches, make them homages of watches that were made at a time that Smiths was making watches, and for a similar purpose (to me that's the essential link between the PRS 29 and the Navigator).

Master
    I thought he's already confirmed that he didn't think he could do it now as Omega were currently doing one:

This was a project with Kemmner 6 years ago, before Omega did the re-edition but Kemmner said he couldn't do the bezel. It's a pity he couldn't because I'll not be doing it now that it's a current mdel for Omega.

Eddie

Impossible to resist.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Do you know what size it is?
    Approx 35mm-36mm I think

With the slim bezel I'd assume it could be doable and would fit in well with current 36mm Smiths???

Approx 35mm-36mm I think

With the slim bezel I'd assume it could be doable and would fit in well with current 36mm Smiths???
    Actually it is 32mm. The Smiths catalogue from 1971 describes it as a boy's watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    This does raise an interesting question about Smiths going forward - Eddie has talked about building up the brand, but what will that brand be or stand for in the future?

It could simply become a 'copy-cat' brand like Steinhart - taking a classic watch, copying it and putting Smiths on the face. There is probably brand awareness and money to be made in that direction, but it would not interest me and I hope Eddie does not move in that direction with the precious Smiths name. If that's a plan, fair enough but I'd use one of the other brand names.

To my mind, it would be much better if Smiths continued in the direction of the PRS 29, Everest expedition and the new Navigator watch. In other words, remake or re-imagine old Smiths designs, first and foremost, or at the very least imagine a watch that Smiths might have made, if they'd stayed around. If there are to be 'homage' watches, make them homages of watches that were made at a time that Smiths was making watches, and for a similar purpose (to me that's the essential link between the PRS 29 and the Navigator).
    It’s definitely good to see the Smiths brand in designs that the original company had, or military contract designs they were in the running for.

Journeyman
    Its a very attractive dial style and the cream version also looks great - thats a couple of cases its been laid out in recently. How about using it in a Weems style case or as a Super Compressor style based around the Navigator case or even a 38mm version. There are a few Super Compressor inspired watches on the market but they are either too big (42mm) or just use a chapter ring as a bezel rather than the proper flat internal bezel - Lip's reissued Nautic Ski in 38mm is one exception and looks the part. Along with the Navigator, the 'Baby' ranges, the Caribbean, PRS82 etc etc that'd be an interesting line up.
    Last edited by Drumcairn; 4th July 2020 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Actually it is 32mm. The Smiths catalogue from 1971 describes it as a boy's watch.
    Ah ok so not really viable at original size but up scaled to 36 or even 40mm could be worth considering?

Ah ok so not really viable at original size but up scaled to 36 or even 40mm could be worth considering?
    Agree, an exact copy at 32mm no point at all, but 36 up to 40 good, personally I think 38mm would nail it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Agree, an exact copy at 32mm no point at all, but 36 up to 40 good, personally I think 38mm would nail it.
    36 with the bezel would make the dial too small. 38 would be perfect (as you said).

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Impossible to resist.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post

Broadly feel the same (for example I find the PRS-68 just too much of a homage), but I think the reimaginings are great and I particularly enjoy the philosophy behind the Aerotimer (one of which I bought in SC recently and I adore it), which is a sort of homage to something obscure that only real deep watch saddos (like most of us!) appreciate. I know it's not a Smiths but, rather like the PRS-36, which i also have and love, it's paying tribute to something which isn't well known and that gives it a special character all of its own. More reimaginings of rarities please!

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

Eddie
    I really like that. Is this the Blue Bay 58 version? ;-)

Eddie
    Lovely !!