closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a new iphone

Master

Buying a new iphone

Finally decided to bite the bullet and look for a new phone, currently have the 6s, now 4 years old and long since used all of it's 16GB memory, lol.
    Looking at the 11pro as it's not too big to fit into a side pocket, ( correct me if I'm wrong ), any suggestions as to where to get the best deal.

I'd personally be waiting until the iphone 12 is announced in september because the 11 pro prices will then drop in price, especially second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I'd personally be waiting until the iphone 12 is announced in september because the 11 pro prices will then drop in price, especially second hand.
    As above. Also the new models may be 5G compatible, whereas no current iPhone is, if that's a factor for you.
    F.T.F.A.

I’d recommend the new SE, not too big and ticks most boxes.

Master
    I would say if you need a phone now buy it now. As an apple fanboy I have often waited for the latest and greatest Models to depress the outgoing model only to be disappointed. Dont rule out buying on a data / mins plan. My wife’s Iphone was cheaper to buy that way.

Craftsman
    I have an iphone X, its a big step up from a 6S and quite good value second hand now.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    +1

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-New-iPhone-SE

The new SE is a brilliant phone for the price, and the smallest iPhone you can still buy new.

Master
    Yep agreed. Especially if you don't want the notched screen and face ID (I wanted neither).
    Good value and in the same size chassis as your 6 too, so no size worry then.

Master
    I bought the original SE when they first came out and its been superb.

I fancy a phone with a larger screen now and will wait until September when the new I phones are released. Rumours have it that the I phone 12 will be offered with a 5.4” screen and it may well be that this will be my next buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    I have an iphone X, its a big step up from a 6S and quite good value second hand now.
    I went from a 6S to a XS and a massive difference. Bought secondhand from another forum fir £400 18 mths ago.

Master
    I don't mind the physical size of the 6s, I'd just like a bigger screen size for my poor old eyes, lol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I don't mind the physical size of the 6s, I'd just like a bigger screen size for my poor old eyes, lol.
    I had a 7 Plus and now an X - the actual screen size is not much different

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Agree here. The iPhone 12 is less than 90 days away so buying an 11 Pro now is a bit late in the day. Also if you're on a 16gb 6s now and not tearing your hair out the Pro/Max seems overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Finally decided to bite the bullet and look for a new phone, currently have the 6s, now 4 years old and long since used all of it's 16GB memory, lol.
    Looking at the 11pro as it's not too big to fit into a side pocket, ( correct me if I'm wrong ), any suggestions as to where to get the best deal.
    I went from a nearly 4 year old 128gb iPhone 7 to an 128gb iPhone 11 128gb and it was a huge leap - the screen, camera and battery are so much better and easier to use. I wouldn’t bother with the pro - and many reviews say the same thing. I think the 12 will be delayed and when you stick them in a case they all look the same anyway!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I went from a nearly 4 year old 128gb iPhone 7 to an 128gb iPhone 11 128gb and it was a huge leap - the screen, camera and battery are so much better and easier to use. I wouldn’t bother with the pro - and many reviews say the same thing. I think the 12 will be delayed and when you stick them in a case they all look the same anyway!!

This!

I just upgraded from a 7 to an 11 this week. I had been considering the SE but after almost 4 years of owning the 7 I wanted something with a different form factor. I’m really glad I did. The bigger screen is superb for browsing etc and the camera is fantastic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    Yep agreed. Especially if you don't want the notched screen and face ID (I wanted neither).
    Good value and in the same size chassis as your 6 too, so no size worry then.
    Another +1 for the new SE

Craftsman
    Just got an SE great value

Master
    I’ve had an 8 plus for nearly 3 years I think and it’s great. Far better from memory than the 6 I had before.

I do wonder though when jumping up models If they are that good, that advanced and that much better, or is it all sales spiel?

We bought the XR soon after it came out. The battery life is amazing but could do with slightly smaller form factor. So I may get the 12, depends on what features they have introduced.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’ve had an 8 plus for nearly 3 years I think and it’s great. Far better from memory than the 6 I had before.

I do wonder though when jumping up models If they are that good, that advanced and that much better, or is it all sales spiel?
    I definitely think it depends on how many models you jump. I tend to keep my iPhone for 3-4 years and then move up to latest model. I’ve noticed a huge difference from 7 to 11, in terms of processing power. Everything is so much ‘snappier’ and smoother. The cameras are also a vast improvement.

Having said that the same processor is used in both the SE and 11, so really it comes down to screen size and camera as the main difference between those two.

I’ve got an imminent upgrade from my XR and am thinking of downsizing to either an SE or a 12, as I find the XR a bit too big similar to a previous poster.

The smallest 12 allegedly has similar overall size to 6/7/8/SE but full screen like the X onwards, so kinda feels like the sweet spot for me.

Master
    That makes sense jumping a few models at a time, both cost wise and technology wise. I guess jumping from say a 4 or 5, or 7 to 8 just seems like spending a lot of money for not a lot of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I definitely think it depends on how many models you jump. I tend to keep my iPhone for 3-4 years and then move up to latest model. I’ve noticed a huge difference from 7 to 11, in terms of processing power. Everything is so much ‘snappier’ and smoother. The cameras are also a vast improvement.

Having said that the same processor is used in both the SE and 11, so really it comes down to screen size and camera as the main difference between those two.

Used to be every second year to notice a difference. Now it's more like 3 or 4. iPhone launches are routinely referred to internally as "same Barbie, new dress".

I recently got one for the wife to replace her 5S. She is very happy.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche