closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breitling £475 service

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’ve just asked for a price for a 2005 Omega Seamaster automatic and have been quoted £455 and 8 weeks.
    Omega are nice enough to have all their servicing prices on their website.
    https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/c...mplete-service

Master
    Thanks - good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Agreed - seems attitudes are changing.

But if people want a battery change for an Aerospace - go to an indie who has a screwdriver and £3 battery and is comfortable opening a watch case back. If the movement is n&crd then back to the mothership?
    Yes, think this is the best option.

Breitling £475 service

Thanks - good to know.
    From my past experience they also refinish the case and bracelet to ‘as new’ and replace any worn parts as required; the old ones even coming back in a separate bag.
    Their customer service is also second to none so I’’ must say Omega has one of the best value service packages out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems broadly similar to Breitling prices:

https://www.breitling.com/multimedia...av/sav-894.pdf

£415 at Breitling and £450 at Omega for a non-chrono mechanical service. I'm surprised at the chrono prices for both companies...£700/£630 for a chrono...seems a hell of a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Omega has one of the best value service packages out there
    Compare that to my Tudor ETA serviced at the start of last year at Rolex....£214 for full service.
    Last edited by Christian; 17th June 2020 at 13:07.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    In my experience, the £475 will be the all in cost of the service to replace the module. They'll just chuck the old one away and install a fresh one. Your watch will get a light refurb polish too. If the watch has any major issues with the case, crystal, bezel or bracelet this will be extra but will be optional.

Breitling replaced the hands on my B1 the last time it was 'serviced'... came back looking like new.

AMJ in Newark replaced the battery, seal, and pressure-tested for £75. Took a week.

£415 at Breitling and £450 at Omega for a non-chrono mechanical service. I'm surprised at the chrono prices for both companies...£700/£630 for a chrono...seems a hell of a lot.

Compare that to my Tudor ETA serviced at the start of last year at Rolex....£214 for full service.
    So perhaps servicing pricing is in line with others but what separates them is the pressure to charge for additional items or service instead of battery change?

Tudor service pricing looks great.

So perhaps servicing pricing is in line with others but what separates them is the pressure to charge for additional items or service instead of battery change?

Tudor service pricing looks great.
    Yep...certainly from the experiences in this thread, it appears Breitling don't seem to understand that it's how you talk to/treat your customers that goes a long way towards brand image.

Blog Entries

Craftsman
    Multiple reports here of faults occurring immediately after battery changes on these modules. Anecdotal, obviously, but interesting.

In which case it makes you wonder why Rolex charge so much for servicing a comparable Submariner when they have all the parts manufactured in house unlike the ETA powered Tudor?

I covered it in another thread but similar experience, though in this case it was my local dealer that told me that Breitling had advised that rather than the battery replacement and reseal that I'd requested, my watch needed a £510 service to function and while they were at it it needed a new bracelet at £450 as it was worn beyond its service limit (odd as I'd worn it solely on rubber since the the last time they did a battery change and they didn't mention it then).

As I was unsure if I was going to keep the watch as it is rarely worn, I decided that it would be best to get it back until I had made the decision as it would be better so get the expensive service done immediately before sale or reduce the sale price accordingly. I had to pay £40 to get the watch back as I had declined the quote.

Having been advised that the watch wouldn't work with simply a new battery, I knew I could do no damage opening it up, so I did, replaced the battery and it's been running perfectly ever since.

I'd have been fine if they'd offered me a service as an option rather than a battery but no, like the OP it was battery of nothing.

I have a rather different approach to quartz watches and mechanical. With mechanical I'm happy to get them serviced as they have lots of moving parts and some wear. With quartz, as they have few moving parts and the typical fix is a new movement, I prefer to save my £510s up and replace the movement when it fails.

The attitude of the AD and Breitling means that I won't even be going back for battery changes from now on.

I am tempted to pop in, try something on and whilst it's on my wrist offer them a ridiculously small amount for the watch. When they decline I'll ask them for £40 for me to hand it back as "that's my policy".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I covered it in another thread but similar experience, though in this case it was my local dealer that told me that Breitling had advised that rather than the battery replacement and reseal that I'd requested, my watch needed a £510 service to function and while they were at it it needed a new bracelet at £450 as it was worn beyond its service limit (odd as I'd worn it solely on rubber since the the last time they did a battery change and they didn't mention it then).

As I was unsure if I was going to keep the watch as it is rarely worn, I decided that it would be best to get it back until I had made the decision as it would be better so get the expensive service done immediately before sale or reduce the sale price accordingly. I had to pay £40 to get the watch back as I had declined the quote.

Having been advised that the watch wouldn't work with simply a new battery, I knew I could do no damage opening it up, so I did, replaced the battery and it's been running perfectly ever since.

I'd have been fine if they'd offered me a service as an option rather than a battery but no, like the OP it was battery of nothing.

I have a rather different approach to quartz watches and mechanical. With mechanical I'm happy to get them serviced as they have lots of moving parts and some wear. With quartz, as they have few moving parts and the typical fix is a new movement, I prefer to save my £510s up and replace the movement when it fails.

The attitude of the AD and Breitling means that I won't even be going back for battery changes from now on.

I am tempted to pop in, try something on and whilst it's on my wrist offer them a ridiculously small amount for the watch. When they decline I'll ask them for £40 for me to hand it back as "that's my policy".
    Perhaps try AJM (Andrew Micheals) AD - I have had superb treatment from them in the past - used to see them regularly at Air Shows (till Breitling pulled out of those - and that's says something for an 'Aviation' brand)

Master
    Oh, and it's not £475 for a basic service. Actual cost is £493.02 once they've added postage:

Master
    Perhaps try AJM (Andrew Michaels) AD - I have had superb treatment from them in the past - used to see them regularly at Air Shows (till Breitling pulled out of those - and that's says something for an 'Aviation' brand)
    (Anyone had much recent experience with AMJ? I always used to buy from them and had, as you say, excellent service. But in the last couple of years their communication became really unreliable, it seemed to be different staff from the old regulars, and AM himself seemed to be further away from the business than in the past, so I stopped using them.)

Either way I fear that it wouldn't help with this sort of experience (mine, similar, was described in #33). I sent it to AMJ; they sent it to BUK commenting that they would say what needed doing and it would probably only be the battery; cue the full service @ £425.

Perhaps if one simply told AMJ to replace the battery and not to send it off that would work.

Perhaps try AJM (Andrew Micheals) AD - I have had superb treatment from them in the past - used to see them regularly at Air Shows (till Breitling pulled out of those - and that's says something for an 'Aviation' brand)
    My watch came from them (via a breitlingsource member) and I've bought stuff from them in the past, but for now I'll continue to replace the battery with the correct Renata one myself for £3 a pop until I either sell it or it fails. As I've never had a quartz watch fail this is a risk I'm willing to take.

Blog Entries
    My watch came from them (via a breitlingsource member) and I've bought stuff from them in the past, but for now I'll continue to replace the battery with the correct Renata one myself for £3 a pop until I either sell it or it fails. As I've never had a quartz watch fail this is a risk I'm willing to take.
    That's what I would do myself - if I had one - I sold my last Aerospace late last year - I still think it is a great watch.

Well when my B1 got water into it - from having a cheap battery change and seals not out back properly
    The total bill came to just under £1400

That was a new module, dial etc

I’ve got the bill somewhere - my insurer covered it

I don’t think you get the new module in with a service

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Well when my B1 got water into it - from having a cheap battery change and seals not out back properly
    The total bill came to just under £1400

That was a new module, dial etc

I’ve got the bill somewhere - my insurer covered it

I don’t think you get the new module in with a service

If you did it yourself you could make sure the seals where renewed correctly ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Where would you get the seals from though?

Renewing them, and seating them correctly without pinching them when screwing down the caseback is the reason I’ve always had the battery changed by Breitling. The battery itself is a few quid at most as people have pointed out, but I’ve happily swam with mine many times; and maybe I’m being influenced by my underwater photography days, but a badly seated O ring or hair, grain of sand, etc, can be all it takes to let water in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I didn’t do it myself - a jeweller only the jewellery quarter did it
    Lesson learned

Master
    Sorted it out myself , it was doing my head in
    Took the back off again and I played around with the ceramic circle and aligned it with the spring for the alarm
    Hey presto the alarm sounded . It must have moved during a battery change .....

Sent from my SM-F700F using Tapatalk

I’m slightly annoyed that Breitling service do not offer separate overhaul price for Leather Strap and Metal Strap. I know IWC charges differently. All my watch is with Leather Strap not Metal so less job required, such as, re-polishing. However, I have to pay the service I don’t receive….

Quote Originally Posted by poko View Post
    I’m slightly annoyed that Breitling service do not offer separate overhaul price for Leather Strap and Metal Strap. I know IWC charges differently. All my watch is with Leather Strap not Metal so less job required, such as, re-polishing. However, I have to pay the service I don’t receive….
    As an Aerospace Night Mission owner, there is not only no bracelet to overhaul, but the PVD case can’t be overhauled either.

D

Master
    I've had 2 Aerospaces at BUK recently, both just in for a battery change:

1st one came back and the alarm wasn't working. Had to send it back and it was fixed promptly bur surely should have been picked up on on some sort of quality check before sending out?

2nd one came back and there was an oily mark on the dial. Had to send it back and it was returned with a new dial and a light polish as a courtesy. Happy with the service but again, surely should have been picked on on a quality check before sending out.

I'd be sorely reluctant to send it in without some sort of garuntee it would be coming back working and in the same or better condition than it went in with

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    As an Aerospace Night Mission owner, there is not only no bracelet to overhaul, but the PVD case can’t be overhauled either.

D

I actually asked the customer service of BUK and they reply was, re-polishing of the bracelet is a free service…..I wasn’t convinced……

Quote Originally Posted by poko View Post
    I actually asked the customer service of BUK and they reply was, re-polishing of the bracelet is a free service…..I wasn’t convinced……
    Perhaps I'll just send them my bracelet then

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post

1st one came back and the alarm wasn't working. Had to send it back and it was fixed promptly bur surely should have been picked up on on some sort of quality check before sending out?

2nd one came back and there was an oily mark on the dial. Had to send it back and it was returned with a new dial and a light polish as a courtesy. Happy with the service but again, surely should have been picked on on a quality check before sending out.

I'd be sorely reluctant to send it in without some sort of garuntee it would be coming back working and in the same or better condition than it went in with
    Jeez, that's pretty bad isn't it.

I wonder if anyone has the details for the customer service manager there?

Master
    I had a tag in the 90s and nearly had a heart attack when they wanted £30 for a battery change

That's ridiculous considering I once sent a watch in for a battery change and they wouldn't do it without a complete service because "it wouldn't pass their quality control checks".

I have an aerospace that will be due a new battery soon. After reading this thread I think it will be going to an independent, most probably one of the members on here if they can do it.

I was contemplating Breitling but the previous service by prior owner was Breitling battery only so suspect they will insist of full service. I’m happy with the watch, so what if there are dings and scratches on it, that adds character and I’m not paying to have something tatted up like new only for me to bang into a door hours after it’s return.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Found the pic I took of the mark to highlight to them (I circled it in the one I actually sent). Granted this was taken at the "best" angle to show it off but it was pretty visible at most angles. If you can't spot it it's close to the "3"

Blog Entries
    If you think the Aerospace is bad - don't get me talking about my B55 / B50 experiences... I stay clear of the whole 'Professional' range now. It's a real shame as I really liked them back when the B-1 was produced.

Grand Master
    I’ve just asked for a price for a 2005 Omega Seamaster automatic and have been quoted £455 and 8 weeks.
    I assume this is an 1120 movement that pre- dates the co- axial? If so it sounds expensive!

What amuses me is the way Omega replace stuff that doesn’t need replacing, such as the handset. If the hands are OK, and they’re removed carefully, why do they get replaced? They refinish cases and bracelets to a high standard that few can match, so the watch will look nice when it’s returned, and you get a nice red service case, but you’re paying for it.

I'll be due a battery some time soon on my aerospace but given this thread and others, I'm loathe to have Breitling try to rip me off with needless work estimates.

Has anyone used STS? They advertise a Breitling battery service for £115 and are accredited service agents.

https://swisstimeservices.co.uk/our-brand/breitling/

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I assume this is an 1120 movement that pre- dates the co- axial? If so it sounds expensive!

What amuses me is the way Omega replace stuff that doesn’t need replacing, such as the handset. If the hands are OK, and they’re removed carefully, why do they get replaced? They refinish cases and bracelets to a high standard that few can match, so the watch will look nice when it’s returned, and you get a nice red service case, but you’re paying for it.
    Replacing the handset seems to be common practice at service...Breitling replaced my aerospace hands when servicing too. Maybe it means they can justify charging more whilst also saving them the time (and therefore expense) of having to be careful. Meanwhile when the owner gets his invoice he can say "wow, they gave me a new set of hands".

Replacing the handset seems to be common practice at service...Breitling replaced my aerospace hands when servicing too. Maybe it means they can justify charging more whilst also saving them the time (and therefore expense) of having to be careful. Meanwhile when the owner gets his invoice he can say "wow, they gave me a new set of hands".
    I'm sure that it is standard Breitling policy to change the hands at the service, and charge for them, and the price of the hand set isn't included in the headline service cost...

Master
    I'm sure that it is standard Breitling policy to change the hands at the service, and charge for them, and the price of the hand set isn't included in the headline service cost...
    See the quote I posted above - hands included in base service cost.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I'll be due a battery some time soon on my aerospace but given this thread and others, I'm loathe to have Breitling try to rip me off with needless work estimates.

Has anyone used STS? They advertise a Breitling battery service for £115 and are accredited service agents.

https://swisstimeservices.co.uk/our-brand/breitling/
    I used STS years ago to service an omega 2531. No problems and i would use them again, but as I say it was years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    See the quote I posted above - hands included in base service cost.
    My mistake

Master
    I have had at least 4 Aerospace/Avantage (one grey and one black pre-tuxedo dial and then a bronze followed by a blue tux). I’ve personally changed the batteries on all of them at least once, as I changed the first three prior to selling and I’ve changed the current one about a year ago. All of these went smoothly.
    I honestly don’t know what the fuss is about. Yes, the movement is expensive if you somehow wreck it but, providing you have a decent holder and proper screwdrivers, it’s not a difficult job. Cost about £2 for a new Renata.
    At this stage I would have saved the price of a BUK ‘full service’ module replacement and I shouldn’t have to do another battery replacement for about 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jonah885 View Post
    Sorted it out myself , it was doing my head in
    Took the back off again and I played around with the ceramic circle and aligned it with the spring for the alarm
    Hey presto the alarm sounded . It must have moved during a battery change .....

Well done Jonah! Sounds like you've managed to save yourself the hassle and expense of sending it back to Breitling.

I have a WTB for an Aerospace at the moment and have to say reading about the attitude and service from Breitling puts me off a little.

On a positive note though it seems like a battery change and a bit of know how is all that's required for the most part. Even in a worst case scenario I guess a competent independent watchmaker should be able to strip this movement and service it, maybe replacement parts would be the only issue with that approach.
    Last edited by Cool Hand Luke; 21st June 2020 at 22:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Well done Jonah! Sounds like you've managed to save yourself the hassle and expense of sending it back to Breitling.

I have a WTB for an Aerospace at the moment and have to say reading about the attitude and service from Breitling puts me off a little.

On a positive note though it seems like a battery change and a bit of know how it's all that's required for the most part. Even in a worst case scenario I guess a competent independent watchmaker should be able to strip this movement and service it, maybe replacement parts would be the only issue with that approach.
    Don't let all of this put you off. They are excellent watches and a battery swap is totally straightforward. The back is held on by a handful of screws so no special tools needed. The battery is immediately accessible and held in place by a cover with two screws. If you have a proper case holder that will hold the watch securely and remove one side of the bracelet before you start, it is a simple, straightforward job for somebody who is reasonably adept. Take the normal precautions to discharge any static electricity before you start.
    In the worst case scenario I very much doubt that an independent will be able to service/repair the movement. From reading the above comments it may be prudent to keep a dead battery to hand, fit that and send it off to BUK for a 'service'. If their full service really does cover a replacement module, if required, I would be happy to pay up when I know I need one. However, as long as I know that a replacement battery is required I'll be doing it myself with a new Renata.

^^Cheers Tom, good to know. Yeah I'd probably be quite happy to tackle a battery change on it if required.

Master
    I did it myself in the end and all good
    As said make sure you have correct tools

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonah885 View Post
    I did it myself in the end and all good
    As said make sure you have correct tools

So you've just saved yourself £138.
    Did you manage to get the alarm sorted? I can't remember offhand what the correct battery is and I know that there's conflicting info on t'web. There are two batteries that will fit (same voltage) but one is a higher output than the other and the lower output will not power all the functions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    So you've just saved yourself £138.
    Did you manage to get the alarm sorted? I can't remember offhand what the correct battery is and I know that there's conflicting info on t'web. There are two batteries that will fit (same voltage) but one is a higher output than the other and the lower output will not power all the functions.
    Yes all done, I got a renata 380
    Bit of patience and all worked fine

My Aerospace Tornado F3 has just passed it EOL warning and is now dead, it hardly gets worn these days despite going round the world and breaking the sound barrier a few times so I'd not noticed.

Did we find anyone to change batteries at a reasonable cost? It's been to Breitling for a full service a few years ago and hardly been worn since but I don't fancy getting gouged when all it needs is a £3 battery before getting put back in my watch box for another few years.

Expensive watch so expensive to repair, replace anything or service.

Same with everything, i knew someone with a fancy Jeep and they told me a service was £1200 without repairs of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Expensive watch so expensive to repair, replace anything or service.

Same with everything, i knew someone with a fancy Jeep and they told me a service was £1200 without repairs of anything.
    It wasn't expensive in 2001 and Breitling battery change used to be sub £50 which I was fine with. It's had a full £400+ service so been well looked after all it's life, I just begrudge £140 and then getting gouged after that.

Last time it went to Breitling I got a £600 bill. When I examined it it was for a totally different watch! If the (customer) service justified the £140 I wouldn't hesitate.