closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breitling £475 service

Master

Breitling £475 service

On a aerospace battery operated watch ! Surely that is expensive and if they find anything wrong it's even more .... don't mind on a mechanical watch but quartz
    I'm sorry but that is just a joke

Sent from my SM-F700F using Tapatalk

I think I paid £30.00 for a battery change & pressure test @ https://www.russelltalerman.com/ last year. Took it in & waited.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Nope. Just need a careful battery change, resealed ring and pressure test unless watch displayed any faults previously. £100? £75?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Its £140 for battery change
    But the alarm sound on my advantage is not working even after a new battery
    So it needs a full service to establish what is wrong . So £475 then whatever needs replacing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonah885 View Post
    So it needs a full service to establish what is wrong . So £475 then whatever needs replacing

Ooft. Extreme. Will they bother servicing or just replace movement?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm not sure but got a feeling it will cost more than the watch is worth
    I bet a new movement will be expensive

Blog Entries
    Not really a joke? A full service includes any standard parts that need replacing to make it good - which will probably be a new module.

Think of it this way - you can pay £475 to have the watch returned to full working order, and finished like new, or >£3K for a new Aerospace..

Omega does the same with the X-33 - these can be expensive if they go wrong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Not really a joke? A full service includes any standard parts that need replacing to make it good - which will probably be a new module.

Think of it this way - you can pay £475 to have the watch returned to full working order, and finished like new, or >£3K for a new Aerospace..

Omega does the same with the X-33 - these can be expensive if they go wrong.
    So if it needs new.parts its all covered in the £475 ? Inc a new module

Blog Entries
    BUK service are very careful to cover all the bases i believe a service on a quartz would be a module change and seals etc my 2003 B1 is with them at this time and they advised a new bezel, face,full service and bracelet replacement,i declined and said just change the battery and seals at £140.00 plus postage £18.00 be aware that given the ongoing health issues the time frame can be up to eight weeks currently.
    Give them a call and go through it with them.
    Customer Service Department

Tel: + 44 (0) 1892 553 620
    Fax: +44 (0) 1892 553 631
    E-mail: customer.service.uk@breitling.com
    www.breitling.com
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

What seals do you get changed into that price ?

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    BUK service are very careful to cover all the bases i believe a service on a quartz would be a module change and seals etc my 2003 B1 is with them at this time and they advised a new bezel, face,full service and bracelet replacement,i declined and said just change the battery and seals at £140.00 plus postage £18.00 be aware that given the ongoing health issues the time frame can be up to eight weeks currently.
    Give them a call and go through it with them.
    Customer Service Department

Tel: + 44 (0) 1892 553 620
    E-mail: customer.service.uk@breitling.com
    www.breitling.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    What seals do you get changed into that price ?
    Just caseback as even though these are rated 5atm i personally would keep the watch well away from water.

They told me my ‘normal’ Aerospace required a replacement movement as they didn’t have any spares left.

’upgraded’ to Superquartz, but also hit me with a £800+ bill.

Breitling can charge like a wounded buffalo - and why I now say “An Aerospace is an expensive indulgence”.

Used to be different

Master
    I'm starting to think this is standard practice for Breitling with every watch that comes in for a battery or service, certainly not the first time similar has been posted here. No doubt they get the odd person who doesn't question the estimate and it's a nice little earner for them, but it's scumbag behavior and borderline criminal in my eyes.

I had the same issue with my Avantage which went in for a battery change (quoted as £140). I was told the backlight wasn't working (I hadn't even noticed) and they wanted £900 plus which is a total p*sstake. I am getting increasingly frustrated by Breitling as every service enquiry in the last 12 months has been astronomical (I guess this what happens when you sell out to private equity).

I used to really enjoy the brand which made some great 'affordable' watches with their own take/heritage (I know its not everyone's cup of tea). Now it is a plain rip-off.

Alex.

Just caseback as even though these are rated 5atm i personally would keep the watch well away from water.
    Thanks, paying that for a case back gasket and battery would bring tears to my eyes :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    I'm starting to think this is standard practice for Breitling with every watch that comes in for a battery or service, certainly not the first time similar has been posted here. No doubt they get the odd person who doesn't question the estimate and it's a nice little earner for them, but it's scumbag behavior and borderline criminal in my eyes.
    Their quality control picks up any defect on the watch no matter how minor. The list of items on that estimate is what is required to have back an "as new" watch. You receive the estimate and choose whether you want it done...thats how an estimate works. It's not like they are trying to dupe anyone...the OP said he elected to just have the battery changed. I'm not sure how this is scumbag borderline criminal?

On a aerospace battery operated watch ! Surely that is expensive and if they find anything wrong it's even more .... don't mind on a mechanical watch but quartz
    I'm sorry but that is just a joke

I'm not sure but got a feeling it will cost more than the watch is worth
    I bet a new movement will be expensive

In my experience, the £475 will be the all in cost of the service to replace the module. They'll just chuck the old one away and install a fresh one. Your watch will get a light refurb polish too. If the watch has any major issues with the case, crystal, bezel or bracelet this will be extra but will be optional.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    In my experience, the £475 will be the all in cost of the service to replace the module. They'll just chuck the old one away and install a fresh one. Your watch will get a light refurb polish too. If the watch has any major issues with the case, crystal, bezel or bracelet this will be extra but will be optional.
    That seems ok if it requires new module and its covered
    I've heard that they charge extra for a new module

The joys of high end brands. Same with high end cars, £500 for a mirror on some BMW`s

I can only go by my experience from a few years ago. I had an Aerospace and took it to "The Watch Lab" for a battery change. They messed it up and when it was returned to me, they just said it wasn't working any more...your problem.

I sent it to Breilting who told me a 'third party' had botched the movement up and it now needed a complete service. They charged their standard complete service cost and I got my Aerospace back with a new module.

https://www.breitling.com/multimedia...av/sav-894.pdf

Craftsman
    Blimey. That's a bit much.

Are there any independent watchmakers who work on these?

Blog Entries
    Just a note on battery change if you feel competent go for it there are tutorials on this forum and WUS ,if you go to an outside agency so be it but unlike my wife’s Tag that Timpsons said that’s a send away at £85 and i said oh yeah bought two batteries from the bay £1.99 and did it myself the Breitling quartz is a little more involved.BUK will try to get as much as they can out of you it’s your choice to say yea or nay.

Master
    Just a note on battery change if you feel competent go for it there are tutorials on this forum and WUS ,if you go to an outside agency so be it but unlike my wife’s Tag that Timpsons said that’s a send away at £85 and i said oh yeah bought two batteries from the bay £1.99 and did it myself the Breitling quartz is a little more involved.BUK will try to get as much as they can out of you it’s your choice to say yea or nay.
    I changed the battery myself but still no sound from the minute repeater or alarm

Master
    Their quality control picks up any defect on the watch no matter how minor. The list of items on that estimate is what is required to have back an "as new" watch. You receive the estimate and choose whether you want it done...thats how an estimate works. It's not like they are trying to dupe anyone...the OP said he elected to just have the battery changed. I'm not sure how this is scumbag borderline criminal?
    Because they're pushing for work that isn't required?

One chap on here was quoted something like £500 for a new bezel because there was paint loss on some of the numbers/markers. He declined and it came back with the paint touched up but no mention of it on the service or any extra charge, so wtf did they try to sell him a new bezel in the first place?

£800+

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    £800+
    I'm not saying you are wrong but are you sure? I definitely had my module changed as part of the service cost. I don't believe they can do much with them anyway as it is more cost effective to replace rather than service. If they don't include a new module as part of the cost, what would a complete quartz service actually consist of?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Because they're pushing for work that isn't required?

One chap on here was quoted something like £500 for a new bezel because there was paint loss on some of the numbers/markers. He declined and it came back with the paint touched up but no mention of it on the service or any extra charge, so wtf did they try to sell him a new bezel in the first place?
    But it is required if you want your watch to be like absolutely new? They are giving you the choice, I don't see how it's borderline criminal?

I'm not saying you are wrong but are you sure? I definitely had my module changed as part of the service cost. I don't believe they can do much with them anyway as it is more cost effective to replace rather than service. If they don't include a new module as part of the cost, what would a complete quartz service actually consist of?
    Pretty sure the invoice is posted on the site.

The other thing that I struggled to get from them the first time (movement replacement) and subsequent work - was an actual work sheet stating what they had done.

It took several e-mails to them to grudgingly get that worksheet, and we did the same dance years later............

Blog Entries

I think the only way definitively answered is to phone / email BUK Service centre.

Debbie Hills
    Customer Service Advisor

BREITLING UK & EIRE
    1 Royal Tunbridge Wells Trade Park
    Longfield Road
    Tunbridge Wells
    Kent
    TN2 3QF
    UNITED KINGDOM

Phone: +44 (0) 1892 553 620
    Email: debbie.hills@breitling-uk.com
    Check our website at www.breitling.com

Blog Entries
    what would a complete quartz service actually consist of?

https://static.breitling.com/videos/...service-en.mp4

I’m confused with Breitling Ana-Digi watches. I know they are ‘proper’ Swiss watches with excellent cases and dials etc, but I have a solar-atomic Casio g shock with tough solar movement which has never gone wrong in nearly 10 years, no battery issues, backlight and alarms all work. It is a made in Japan version. I just don’t get why breitling innards cost so much and seem relatively unreliable, and technologically can’t manage solar power let alone atomic synch. I suspect whilst Swiss casework etc is excellent, when it comes to the movement the Japanese have the Swiss comprehensively licked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Isn’t that a mechanical service?

Master
    Their quality control picks up any defect on the watch no matter how minor. The list of items on that estimate is what is required to have back an "as new" watch. You receive the estimate and choose whether you want it done...thats how an estimate works. It's not like they are trying to dupe anyone...
    They weren't this permissive when I sent my Aerospace in for its first battery change. It was bought new (from an AD) in Jan 2013, and the battery needed replacing in March 2016. It went to BUK who said that since it was manufactured in 2011, it was 5 years old and therefore had to have a full overhaul service at £420 (which would take ten weeks). I 'phoned them and remonstrated that it was only very occasionally worn and absolutely unmarked, had never seen water, and simply needed a battery change. They insisted that they would only do a full overhaul service on it since it was a 5-6 year interval not a 2-3 year one.

The strategy as well as price left a very sour aftertaste (which got sourer when, threee months later, and two weeks after its return, it stopped dead again and had to back to them). I really do think that Breitling are shooting themselves in the foot with their price-gouging on their quartzes, because a lot of punters love them but bridle at such costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    The strategy as well as price left a very sour aftertaste (which got sourer when, threee months later, and two weeks after its return, it stopped dead again and had to back to them). I really do think that Breitling are shooting themselves in the foot with their price-gouging on their quartzes, because a lot of punters love them but bridle at such costs.
    That's what happens when a private equity company buys 80% of your company, service costs go through the roof. Shame.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 16th June 2020 at 23:44.

Breitling £475 service

I posted this on another thread, but my bottom line is that if you like these watches (I do) then accept the cost. If you don’t find the cost acceptable, choose another brand.

D

When my Aerospace EoL indicator went active I took the watch to local expert watch repairer, as I didn’t want to pay the Breitling cost. Although a battery change and pressure test was £45, there was a fault with the digital display after the battery change in terms of missing elements of the LCD.

It went back to Breitling for as total of £493.02, which was the cost of a full service repair and shipping. They said the movement had been damaged by “third party intervention “. To the immense credit of the company I used they reimbursed the battery change, and they paid for the cost difference between the Breitling battery service and full service, which was £335, so I essentially paid a normal service charge

If I learnt anything from this saga, it is that these ana-digital Breitling watches are best dealt with by them, although that is a cost

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 16th June 2020 at 23:53.

£800+
    £483 all in for a new module.

Pretty sure the invoice is posted on the site.

The other thing that I struggled to get from them the first time (movement replacement) and subsequent work - was an actual work sheet stating what they had done.

It took several e-mails to them to grudgingly get that worksheet, and we did the same dance years later............
    Sorry, I'm being thick...what invoice?

I just googled an image of the movement and got a pic of the back of the watch showing circuit board and battery - looks like your standard cheap quartz module and certainly not in league of oysterquartz or grand seiko quartz.Yesterday I took the back off a cwc g10 and that ETA quartz module looks higher spec/quality than the aerospace.Surprised there is not an independent specialist that deals with aerospace watches or has breitling cut off any spares supply....

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Sorry, I'm being thick...what invoice?
    The invoice for the work carried out (new movement etc) for over £800

Master
    BUK Service Centre in Tunbridge Wells have had my Aerospace Avantage since the start of the year. I sent it in to them after the battery died and I asked them for a 'small' service, i.e. battery and seals replacement.

For the three previous battery changes it's needed in my ownership it's gone back to them too, and two of the previous bills I've dug out were for £70, so they've doubled their price in recent years. Regardless, titanium screws are easy to mess up, so I was happy to pay £140 for Breitling to do it.

When I got the quote back, unsurprisingly, they recommended a full service; but also replacement of 'some' hands, a case refurb, and replacement of the crystal. Breitling advise alternating 'small' and 'large' sevices for the Aerospace, so I did expect them to suggest the full service given the age of the watch.

What I didn't expect though was the snarkiness off the woman in the service dept who answered the phone when I called them to discuss. I called to say I noted their recommendation but on this occasion I just wanted the battery & seals replaced. She advised (when pressed) they'd be prepared to do that, but if I went against their recommendation they'd not offer any guarantee on the module.

On the one hand that might seem fair enough, but the problem I had with that as I explained, was that on one of it's trips back to them previously they'd actually buggered the module and returned the watch to me non-functioning. I've still no idea how that passed their meticulous testing and calibrating. They couldn't get a replacement module at the time, as head office had closed for the summer holidays, and it ended up taking months to get the watch back. I asked her where I'd be if the same thing happened again. She said it was impossible. I pointed out it wasn't impossible, as it had literally happened before. I explained what I was looking for was not a new 2 year guarantee or whatever it is they offer after a service, but just an assurance that if it came back with a fault they'd take ownership. She flatly dismissed that, repeated that it could never happen, and she proceeded to check if I knew what year we are in (seriously!). This went on for a few more minutes, with me being polite but persistent, and her becoming increasingly snarky.

I had to insist she referred it up the line to a manager which she begrudgingly agreed, but rather than the call I was promised a couple of days later I got the following email:

"I have spoken with the customer care manager and can assure you that we will not damage the module whilst undertaking the quartz maintenance however We will carry out the work listed on your estimate as per your request. However, if you do not proceed with the work our watchmakers deem is necessary, we will not be able to offer any guarantee that your watch will operate to the Breitling standards. Therefore, your watch would be returned without any warranty on its function or timekeeping."

So, basically, if we do what we've done before and mess up your watch we'll take no responsibility whatsoever and the problem will be yours..

I've been stewing on what to do about it since. It's not quite the same as a mechanical in terms of wear and tear, and the watch was working perfectly well until the battery stopped. Digi modules do just fail sometimes of course, and in that instance I'd take it on the chin and cough up; but that's not the case here, and as they have prior I just don't trust them. That may well be me done with the brand based on that experience..

Would you not still be entitled to the standard 90 day warranty you get on most things when you have a repair done? I can see both sides but your side more, especially given their history. I would be tempted to settle on a 90 day warranty if possible as it protects against the previous form.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Would you not still be entitled to the standard 90 day warranty you get on most things when you have a repair done? I can see both sides but your side more, especially given their history. I would be tempted to settle on a 90 day warranty if possible as it protects against the previous form.
    I'd be happy with that. Hell, even 30 days would be a token, but they've made it pretty clear it's take it or leave it.

Blog Entries
    Isn’t that a mechanical service?

Complete service (recommended every 4-6 years) - mechanical and quartz watches

This service includes: refurbishment* of the case and metal bracelet, changing all seals, partial changing of hands and checking of water resistance. Disassembly, cleaning and replacing of standard movement parts, assembly, lubrication, adjustment and setting of movement function parameters. Changing the battery for quartz models.

*Excludes models with black carbon surface treatments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    I just googled an image of the movement and got a pic of the back of the watch showing circuit board and battery - looks like your standard cheap quartz module and certainly not in league of oysterquartz or grand seiko quartz.Yesterday I took the back off a cwc g10 and that ETA quartz module looks higher spec/quality than the aerospace.Surprised there is not an independent specialist that deals with aerospace watches or has breitling cut off any spares supply....

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think it’s a thermoline based movement. So has a second thermo-compensation module. At least the later E7xxxx modules do. Not much of a looker though. It’s a circuit board

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I'd be happy with that. Hell, even 30 days would be a token, but they've made it pretty clear it's take it or leave it.
    I can see both sides to the story. Breitling don't want to change the battery and subsequently have claim against them for any other part of the movement, but equally a simple battery change should not break a functioning movement so you would expect some guarantee they don't cause damage.

Unfortunately, they've probably got you over a barrel. Buy a high-end product and you are effectively subscribing to high-end service costs.

I've previously experienced a Breitling module failing because of a battery change. Was working absolutely perfectly until the EoL indicator started flashing. Took it for a battery change and it ceased working afterwards. I've no idea why these modules are so delecate when a £10 Casio works flawlessly after a battery change.

I last owned a Breitling Aerospace about 7 or 8 years ago. I couldn't fault their customer service...they were particularly keen to bend over backwards for military clients and I received a free complete service for an issue that was caused by a third party. Tunbridge Wells were also fantastic.

I'm disappointed with some of the stories here. Maybe things have changed for the worst at Breitling. I've had more recent experience of Rolex St James for both the Rolex and Tudor brand...their customer service is excellent...service prices on an older Tudor Black Bay were very reasonable and they often did things for free like give away bracelet screws if I needed them. It doesn't do Breitling any favours because I'm now much more likely to invest in Rolex/Tudor than Breitling.
    Last edited by Christian; 17th June 2020 at 11:28.

Blog Entries

When I got the quote back, unsurprisingly, they recommended a full service; but also replacement of 'some' hands, a case refurb, and replacement of the crystal. Breitling advise alternating 'small' and 'large' sevices for the Aerospace, so I did expect them to suggest the full service given the age of the watch.”

Very similar to my B1 that’s with them right now but they also recommended a new fighter bracelet at £745.00 this is on a 2003 watch and the brace is perfectly good.IMO they are looking to extract as much as they can and there is a whole different feel now to previous years and it’s not a nice feel.

The invoice for the work carried out (new movement etc) for over £800
    Apologies - looking back at the invoice: The total cost of £823 included VAT and other works.

The actual movement renewal was circa £475+VAT, and was in lieu of service of the movement and associated works which was normally that same price.

I still maintain that the Aerospace is an unusually-expensive watch to maintain. I have had bills of £1,400 in the last 8yrs.

But - prior to that, when I had run the Titanium bracelet under the hot tap (after spraying with bathroom cleaner and toothbrushing the crevices) - one of the links/pins sprung apart. I sent the watch off to BUK via Laings in Edinburgh (watch around 6yrs old), and BUK returned it with a completely new bracelet (retail £300 at time) FOC ! They maintained that there must have been a fault in the bracelet. Now they may have offset that cost by refurbing the links of the old one - for use on other repairs, but none the less -I thought that was fantastic service.

Now - I think they are totally revenue-orientated.

On the same visit to Laings - I took my GMT-Master in for a bracelet repair, which got sent back to Rolex. It was returned with a brand new bracelet also (retail circa £300 also) - with a charge for £17.00! (i knew it was brand new, as some marks on parts could never be polished out).
    I think Rolex will also have become a bit more revenue-focused since then.

When I got the quote back, unsurprisingly, they recommended a full service; but also replacement of 'some' hands, a case refurb, and replacement of the crystal. Breitling advise alternating 'small' and 'large' sevices for the Aerospace, so I did expect them to suggest the full service given the age of the watch.”

Very similar to my B1 that’s with them right now but they also recommended a new fighter bracelet at £745.00 this is on a 2003 watch and the brace is perfectly good.IMO they are looking to extract as much as they can and there is a whole different feel now to previous years and it’s not a nice feel.
    I've got no problem with a quote telling me how much it costs to get the watch back to "as-new" condition, but I guess its how customer services are pushing this that gets peoples heckles up.

A couple of years ago, I used to own an older ETA Tudor Black Bay. Took it to Rolex St James for a service and was pleasantly surprised how cheap a full movement service was. They did produce an estimate for all work to bring the watch to "as-new" which included a new bezel because there was a very small mark on the aluminium insert. I declined but there was no heavy sell for it...it just seemed like they had very good attention to detail and offered it as an option.

It sounds like Breitling are too aggressive at recommending rectification of minor wear and imperfections...and as soon as you start actively making people feel bad about their "imperfect" watch, you start to damage the feeling towards the brand.

Blog Entries
    I've got no problem with a quote telling me how much it costs to get the watch back to "as-new" condition, but I guess its how customer services are pushing this that gets peoples heckles up.

A couple of years ago, I used to own an older ETA Tudor Black Bay. Took it to Rolex St James for a service and was pleasantly surprised how cheap a full movement service was. They did produce an estimate for all work to bring the watch to "as-new" which included a new bezel because there was a very small mark on the aluminium insert. I declined but there was no heavy sell for it...it just seemed like they had very good attention to detail and offered it as an option.

It sounds like Breitling are too aggressive at recommending rectification of minor wear and imperfections...and as soon as you start actively making people feel bad about their "imperfect" watch, you start to damage the feeling towards the brand.
    Agreed - seems attitudes are changing.

But if people want a battery change for an Aerospace - go to an indie who has a screwdriver and £3 battery and is comfortable opening a watch case back. If the movement is n&crd then back to the mothership?

Master
    I’ve just asked for a price for a 2005 Omega Seamaster automatic and have been quoted £455 and 8 weeks.