closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milgauss Z blue. Opinions

Master
    Blog Entries

Milgauss Z blue. Opinions

I've got 48 hours to think about the Milgauss Z blue which I tried on at my AD today. I liked it a lot. What do others think and, those that have a Milgauss, how do you get on with it?

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I liked it a lot.
    That's all you really need to know.

Well you asked - I prefer every other version of the Milguass to the Z
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I suspect that it's close to the bottom of the list of sought after "Professional" models. C24 and WF seem to suggest a premium but I think you'd find it difficult to flip for list.

I got a white dial one last year (thanks to esteemed member Snoodles) and I love it. It does wear surprisingly big but then I have small wrists.

I have the black dial GV and love it. I had a choice of the blue too and it took me an age to decide. If you liked it a lot, I suspect that will only get more pronounced with wear.

Oh, I nearly forgot... I agree about it wearing quite large compared to some other similarly sized Rolex models. Although, I too have tiny wrists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Well you asked - I prefer every other version of the Milguass to the Z
    Whereas, I prefer the Z-Blue to all the other versions of the Milguass !

What does that tell you? Just to buy what you like rather than rely on us as we will all have our own preferences.

Here’’s a shot of mine in any case, excuse the mismatched cuff links!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paw3001; 16th June 2020 at 10:30.

I have had my Z-Blue for about 5 years, so it seems that I like it. It is the only current modern Milgauss that I would wear.
    Last edited by gbn13; 16th June 2020 at 07:35.

Master
    I bought a black dial GV and kept for a couple of years which I loved. Short while after bought the Z-blue as I really like a blue dial, but sold quickly for some reason. Bought back my black GV which I have now had for another couple of years and no intention of selling it.

The only explanation I have is that maybe there is too much going on with the Z. The milgauss doesn’t need a blue dial, and it was also missing the orange markers

Master
    I had a black one, which I kept for a year or so. it is quite heavy and bulky, but it made a really good second hand buy, it cost me about £4200 for a full set. The blue is a great colour, but at list price, it seems a bit high, especially compared to the air king.

If you are buying because you like it, then great, but if you are buying it thinking you will get a good return, i would suggest to look at other options.

Journeyman
    I have a Z-Blue and love it. A great watch if you want to inject a bit of colour and variety into your collection. It looks particularly good in the summer as the dial pops in the sun. The only downside I find is the polished parts are a bit of a scratch magnet for me but I am a bit hard on my watches in that respect. So for me it is not the best daily watch.

I'm also with the minority in that the z would be my last choice, not that I dislike it, just prefer the white and black gv. But I'm not buying it and if you really like the blue then dive in and get it.
    Milgauss has been on my list for a while now, love the look of them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If you like it, why not?

Honestly, the Milgauss is probably the only Rolex I could ever see me owning (although it's still pretty unlikely).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the responses. One of the main things that stopped me from buying it is that I've been looking at images of the black-dialled version a lot recently and really can't choose between them. Also I thought it looked a bit big on my 6.75" wrist. I'm finding myself being drawn to smaller watches as time goes on. 40mm is the same as the Submariner iirc & that looks fine on me. But the Milgauss wears bigger because of the thinner bezel. The other thing was the polished bezel & centre links on the bracelet. I thought that these would be a scratch magnet. But...I love the dial & green crystal. I also love the thickness and heft of it. Still considering it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the z blue best out of the milgauss range too. Dont think it wears bigger than the 6 digit subs.
    PCL's are scratch magnets but they do bed in eventually and become not particularly noticeable as the bracelet mattes down with micro-swirls.

Journeyman
    I've had my Z-blue for a couple of years now and love it. I also tried on the black dial but for me it was an easy decision. The black dial is certainly more subtle, but I wanted something that was different to my other daily wear watches and actually preferred the lack of orange on the hour markers.

It does pick up light scratches quite easily as others have mentioned, but I got over that fairly quickly and it's bad. It also wears quite large but I think I get away with it on my 6.5" wrists and I like the weight of it.

I can understand why some people don't gel with it, but I'm really happy that I bought what I wanted rather than thinking about future value etc.

Make sure you like the case. I find the Milgauss case too bulky, more bulky than the 16600 or the ceramic Subs - which is why I returned my Air King.

Craftsman
    I really like the Blue too and if all goes to plan with my forth coming redundancy and new role I hope to pick up one.

I’d most likely try and pick up a nice Nato that matched and wear it on that daily and save the bracelet for special occasions, that’s what I did with the Omega SMP and it’s worked well.

Good luck

I've got 48 hours to think about the Milgauss Z blue which I tried on at my AD today. I liked it a lot. What do others think and, those that have a Milgauss, how do you get on with it?
    Love mine brother. Bought my Z Blue brand new 3 years ago. The rich blue dial, green sapphire, thunder bolt seconds hand all come together and pop this watch to life. It’s a fun and joyful piece that avoids the seriousness and silliness surrounding ceramic bezels and investment opportunities.

Highly recommend it. Try before you buy through. This watch is a hefty piece but it is Rolex quality through and through.

Last edited by Lostintime; 17th June 2020 at 02:04.

Another vote for the Z Blue here, I love mine. I won’t repeat what’s already been said about it but it looks and feels special whenever I wear it.

Love my Milgauss, black dial GV , originally was thinking of getting Explorer 1 but after getting the Everest 40mm really preferred printed dial so couldn’t see me wearing an applied indices dial Explorer. The Milgauss was only other one I liked, thunderbolt hand , green sapphire and not as in your face as some! As others have said polished parts are scratch magnets , but as I bought to wear and not as an investment , this doesn’t bother me , will probably go to one of my sons eventually, gives me a good excuse to get 2 more Rolex so they get one each!

I loved my GV (that i 'shared' with Marcel as for some unknown reason I sold it back to him!) and will get another one at some point. The blue isn't the most versatile but is really cool in my opinion.

Perhaps the best fitting watch I've owned

Master
    Dangerous to ask this question in this company, but am I the only person who dislikes the lightning seconds hand? I love everything about the Milgauss (and also love the blue variant) except the seconds hand, which always seems to me a bit gimmicky and disruptive of the rest of the lines. I guess it's what makes it a funky left-field option for some - a bit like the Air King, which I also like - but I'd love it with a regular hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I loved my GV (that i 'shared' with Marcel as for some unknown reason I sold it back to him!) and will get another one at some point. The blue isn't the most versatile but is really cool in my opinion.

Perhaps the best fitting watch I've owned
    Wearing it today Thom 😉

Master
    Absolutely, love my Z blue one of my go to watches that I always go for in my collection.

I have one, I think it looks great on a bright summers day, I don't think you will regret buying it.

Let me throw this question here...

Would you trade your Z Blue for a new Sub-C if you could?

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Wearing it today Thom 😉

I’ll buy it back for the same amount mate?!

This thread has reminded me how much I liked the Milgauss and is now officially back on ze list

I have owned my Z-Blue for a couple of years. To my mind it is a great watch to have as part of a collection.....but not if it is your "only" option. It is at its best in a casual setting with the sun shining to highlight the great dial. It has some surprising weight/bulk and does wear quite large on my 6.75 inch wrist. Overall though I really enjoy having it as part of my collection....it does jazz it up. Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    I have owned my Z-Blue for a couple of years. To my mind it is a great watch to have as part of a collection.....but not if it is your "only" option. It is at its best in a casual setting with the sun shining to highlight the great dial. It has some surprising weight/bulk and does wear quite large on my 6.75 inch wrist. Overall though I really enjoy having it as part of my collection....it does jazz it up. Good luck with your decision.
    What else is in your collection?

Love the milgauss....had a Blackdial GV and sold it....major buyers remorse so re-bought it. It will never leave my collection. Its got real personality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I’ll buy it back for the same amount mate?!

This thread has reminded me how much I liked the Milgauss and is now officially back on ze list
    Told myself that I won’t sell this one again (although I never say never)
    Thinking back, I first bought this watch over 6 years ago - even with the short break in your ownership, it is by far my longest serving watch

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Told myself that I won’t sell this one again (although I never say never)
    Thinking back, I first bought this watch over 6 years ago - even with the short break in your ownership, it is by far my longest serving watch
    I’ve tried to hang on to all of my watches of late- there’s such a long list of regrets I have now hopefully learned my lesson (although I never say never either!)

Craftsman

What’s not to like, a Rolex full of personality, I love it

Master
    Lots of personality the Z blue, saw one in a gym a while back and it certainly pops.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps68 View Post
    Love my Milgauss, black dial GV , originally was thinking of getting Explorer 1 but after getting the Everest 40mm really preferred printed dial so couldn’t see me wearing an applied indices dial Explorer. The Milgauss was only other one I liked, thunderbolt hand , green sapphire and not as in your face as some! As others have said polished parts are scratch magnets , but as I bought to wear and not as an investment , this doesn’t bother me , will probably go to one of my sons eventually, gives me a good excuse to get 2 more Rolex so they get one each!

If there was one to get it's this one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for everybody's input. Decision made..

Great decision congratulations! First impressions now it’s yours?

Craftsman
    Great decision...... It’s a stunning piece. I tried a friends on I have to say it’s a lovely watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DANH View Post
    Great decision congratulations! First impressions now it’s yours?
    I liked it a lot more the second time I tried it on. It's a pity they didn't have the black dialed version to compare but nearly all the watches I've got have black dials so I think I'd have chosen the blue anyway. The feature I like best is the green crystal which creates a green halo around the dial. The dial itself is lovely and looks different depending on the light. I like the fat case & the thickness of it. I also like a heavy watch. Oh & I love the lightning bolt second hand. It's a bit out of my comfort zone & very different from any other watch I own. Most of my collection are tool watches. Divers with rotating bezels or military watches/pilots watches. It's nice to try something different

Craftsman
    Milguass gv is one of the watches i wish i never sold! £3.5k a few years ago. Its one enjoyed wearing despite my large wrists. It was a lovely watch. Still dont know why i sold it. Missed this more than the blnr i had at the time.

I say go for it, if you like it.

I liked it a lot more the second time I tried it on. It's a pity they didn't have the black dialed version to compare but nearly all the watches I've got have black dials so I think I'd have chosen the blue anyway. The feature I like best is the green crystal which creates a green halo around the dial. The dial itself is lovely and looks different depending on the light. I like the fat case & the thickness of it. I also like a heavy watch. Oh & I love the lightning bolt second hand. It's a bit out of my comfort zone & very different from any other watch I own. Most of my collection are tool watches. Divers with rotating bezels or military watches/pilots watches. It's nice to try something different
    Sounds like you like it! I feel exactly the same about my Z Blue, even now it would be a toss up between the two GV models for me I think if they were side by side, but same as you most of my watches are black dials and that’s what swung it

What is there not to like, ring for SWMBO and ZBlue for moi

Last edited by jimboy; 19th June 2020 at 22:26.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One thing that surprised me is that the bracelet length isn't particularly generous. The AD only had to take one link out of the bracelet to make it fit what I consider to be my quite thin wrists.

You'll enjoy your Milgauss no doubt - love my black GV.

Bit late with this pic for you - but I grabbed this off Instagram which shows the trio:

Here's mine... 2007 and so far.. no signs of wear! Previous 2 owners mustn't have worn it out of the house! Me?.. Its tucked away as a pressie to me from me for the big 5-0 next year!

Tried this today at an AD and I must admit really liking it in the metal. Was going in for the black one but the blue won me over.

Would love to hear from owners how they get along with it - do you find the dial restrictive or too loud perhaps after a while?

In my opinion the Z-Blue is the only Milgauss to go for. It is by far the most interesting SS Rolex in production. Mesmerising blue dial, green sapphire Crystal, orange thunder bolt seconds hand. What’s not to like?

Master
    Like everything else buy what you like and wear it, I wanted some colour and variety in my collection and love my white version that I picked up not so long ago, coupled with the rubber b its different to everything else in my collection

Used to have the GV. Loved the look, just found it a bit bulky/heavy for the type of watch it was. Much prefer the size and weight of the DJ41.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Used to have the GV. Loved the look, just found it a bit bulky/heavy for the type of watch it was. Much prefer the size and weight of the DJ41.
    Same here.... I couldn't get on with the depth/weight of it. Moved to an Omega Aqua Terra 39.5mm and it's the perfect alternative for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post

That shouldn't work but does. Very nice!