closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Good way to revitalise a summerhouse/shed?

Master

Good way to revitalise a summerhouse/shed?

We have a large summerhouse/shed that is looking a bit worn. This is the year that we will finally get round to sorting it out.
    It’s pretty good inside - it’s insulated and has electricity and double glazed windows.
    It’s the outside that needs some attention - some of the old colour treatment that was on it has come off and the wood is weathered etc.
    Want to change the outside colour from a mid brown to something like blue as well.
    Any pointers to renew it?
    Tips really getting the colour change to work would be useful as well.
    Cheers

Would it be as easy to whip it all off and replace with a nice new cedar board?

Putting the boards on up/down is the new modern fashion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

Ooh!! That looks nice. Might be a touch more budget-wise than I was anticipating! Any idea of costs??

Master
    Here's a couple of pics to show you what I'm working with...

Like I said, I'd like to treat the wood and also change the colour. Its still pretty solid but one side has weathered quite a lot. Last time we did anything to it was about 10 years ago...

Its sitting on a concrete base which was poured specifically for it, along with a membrane etc.

wow, that is nice. Proper job👍

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

It’s not mine! Pic pinched off web.

With your red one, you could jet wash it, (and the roof) and give it a bit of a sanding up and then just paint it whichever colour you want. The usual “shed paint” brands would all cover that no problem.

Couple of days work I’d say.

Master
    It’s not mine! Pic pinched off web.

With your red one, you could jet wash it, (and the roof) and give it a bit of a sanding up and then just paint it whichever colour you want. The usual “shed paint” brands would all cover that no problem.

Couple of days work I’d say.
    Fabulous, thanks. So clean the crap off, sand it down to give it a key etc. and get on with it? I can do that. (and yes, the roof will be addressed at the same time!)

Cheers

What about a quick clean and sand and a couple of coats of black barn paint? Our Summer house was painted with barn paint and I really like the look, plus three and a half years on it still looks as good as the day it was done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    What about a quick clean and sand and a couple of coats of black barn paint? Our Summer house was painted with barn paint and I really like the look, plus three and a half years on it still looks as good as the day it was done.
    Never thought of that. That might work. Do you have a picture you could share?
    Does barn paint have some specific features over shed paint? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Never thought of that. That might work. Do you have a picture you could share?
    Does barn paint have some specific features over shed paint? Thanks
    To be honest I don’t know what the main difference is, it certainly seems hard wearing. Here is a picture as well. Good luck.

That’s a very good point! Barn paint is what you want. It’s brilliant stuff. Kind of flexible but still water based.

It doesn’t have to be black, either.

Bedec is the only paint to use. I wouldn’t bother with any other brand of barn paint.

They do it in about 20 colours.

You won’t have to sand it down much at all. Just get all the flakey bits off. The jet wash will do most of that for you.

https://bedec.co.uk/bedec_products/barn-paint/

+1 for bedec barn paint! The black is the best one.

Master
    To be honest I don’t know what the main difference is, it certainly seems hard wearing. Here is a picture as well. Good luck.

That’s a very good point! Barn paint is what you want. It’s brilliant stuff. Kind of flexible but still water based.

It doesn’t have to be black, either.

Bedec is the only paint to use. I wouldn’t bother with any other brand of barn paint.

They do it in about 20 colours.

You won’t have to sand it down much at all. Just get all the flakey bits off. The jet wash will do most of that for you.

https://bedec.co.uk/bedec_products/barn-paint/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    +1 for bedec barn paint! The black is the best one.
    Thanks chaps! Think this is the way to go. Quite like the black, but am also considering one of the colours, maybe Battleship Grey? For those that have used it before, have you used the satin, matt or semi-gloss finish? Looks like black and white are the only ones available in all the finishes.

I feel a summer project taking shape...

Blog Entries
    Some of the lighter colours can make a big difference to the ambience of a summerhouse. I'd think twice before going down the black route.

Different buildings I know but for example.............

Last edited by oldoakknives; 16th June 2020 at 08:14.

Blog Entries
    A few thing to consider:
    • Do you want it to blend in with the background? Opt for a darker colour; black and anthracite are 'en vogue' nowadays.
    • It's a lot of work going back to a light(er) colour when garden fashion changes again...
    • When opting for a lighter colour than red, be advised that you'll need more paint to be sure that the red colour will not appear again.

And what about a technical upgrade of the summerhouse: replacing the hap-hazardously positioned doors & windows with two sets of double patio doors. That will lift it into the 21st century as well! Add an infrared heater and you can spend half your life relaxing with the doors open/closed as long as you like even during chilly-but-beautiful evenings in the Spring and Autumn.

M

I have never used Bedec products; by all accounts they are the mutt's nuts; however I do use the equivalent (presumably?) from Johnstones, their Opaque Wood Finish

https://www.johnstonestrade.com/prod...ue-wood-finish

about £50 for 5 litres from Amazon/The Paint Shed.

I swear by the stuff.

It looks like access to the left side of the building will be a challenge. The back as well to a lesser extent. Both area are likely to be more damp, and deteriorate faster than the sides exposed to the sun, so will need to be done or you'll have a problem there before the new paint starts to weather on the other side.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Toolstation Stock Bedec paints at very competitive prices with free delivery on orders over £25 at present usually just £10..

I am unsure if Toolstation stock the entire Bedec colour chart but somewhere like Brewers would be able to obtain all colours.

Another + for Bedec.

Never been disappointed with Sadolin superdec paint
    Bit more costly than most but great durability and colour range and water based too.
    Lots of folk nearby use it on their beach huts
    It’s good stuff!
    Last edited by GOAT; 16th June 2020 at 10:43.

Master
    Thanks all. Some really good advice there.

Re going for a lighter colour - quite interested in that. Initial idea was to paint it with a white colour to tone down the red-brown that’s on there now and then paint with the final colour.

Re access - we have access to all sides even though it may not look like it in the pictures.

I have thought about changing the doors etc but think I’ll update it with some paint etc first and see how it gets used before spending more money on it. Not sure what we will it for - in the past it’s been used as an office (before we bought the house); a classroom and a general storeroom.

Current thinking is to tidy it up; put some exercise equipment in there; ability to play music; furniture and maybe a dart board. Wanted to get a pool table....

Any more ideas and thoughts very welcome.

if you use Sadolin superdec ,you can put that straight on top of what you have...opacity is excellent with that stuff.
    just scrape off loose stuff and keying it if you can will help adhesion, as with any product.

Take a look at Dulux Trade Ultimate Opaque. It is absolutely amazing stuff and can be colour matched to whatever colour you like.

It is described as a woodstain, but looks and goes on more like a gloss paint and is 'satinwood' when it has dryed, it sometimes looks even like a plasticoat has been applied.

It isn't cheap, but if really lovely to use and has a 10 year lifespan. It replaces the previous 7 year Dulux Trade flexible paint system paint that I had previously used - which actually lasted 9 years before needing to be repainted, so this stuff should be even better still.

Craftsman
    I'd redo the roof with rubber membrane as the felt won't last much longer. And paint it with Cuprinol Garden Shades. I've painted benches, sheds, all sorts with the Cuprinol paint and it's lasted years.

https://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/garden_shades.jsp

Master
    But the existing paint looks like water based fence paint? I don’t think you can put oil based straight on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    But the existing paint looks like water based fence paint? I don’t think you can put oil based straight on top.
    What suggested is oil-based? Barn paint isn't.

Ooh!! That looks nice. Might be a touch more budget-wise than I was anticipating! Any idea of costs??
    It's Red Cedar. It's about £50 per sq metre.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What suggested is oil-based? Barn paint isn't.
    The Dulux suggested above is.

Did mine with Cuprinol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Did mine with Cuprinol

I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    The Dulux suggested above is.
    Yep, the Dulux I suggested is oil based, so it would be much better to rub down to bare wood as it will last much longer that way. You can paint over what is there according to the Dulux bumpf, but personally I would rub it all down first and do a proper job of it.

This is very smart. What do you have in there? Looks huge!

Also where did you get the pullup bars? Thinking of getting something similar and maybe incorporating it into a treehouse.

If you're tempted by a Cupinol product avoid Cuprinol 5 year Ducksback.
    I painted our shed two years ago with this stuff. Within 6 months it had started to wash off.
    What didn't wash off faded badly.
    Shed now repainted with another product I know lasts.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy24 View Post
    If you're tempted by a Cupinol product avoid Cuprinol 5 year Ducksback.
    I painted our shed two years ago with this stuff. Within 6 months it had started to wash off.
    What didn't wash off faded badly.
    Good luck.
    Bugger!! Done both of mine with that!

Craftsman
    Another + for Bedec, However be careful if you choose black/dark colours on south facing (sunny Sides) as the colour absorbs the heat and can cause shrinkage problems. Also don't use it on ply facings as it doesn't appear to let it breathe and ply will delaminate very easily. I'm about to replace the side of my building with Cedar which will be varnished and repaint the south end with mid grey! Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy24 View Post
    Good luck.
    Don't be a tease! Which other product?

Master
    Coloured paint leaves a shed looking like an over sized Wendy house. Natural wood stain or black is the way to go.

Master
    Hi

Finally got round to looking at this properly!

Managed to get a couple of samples of the Bedec paint from All Finishes and have decided to go with Deep Blue. Have a smaller tin of Anthracite as well as have a side gate that needs doing. Might even do the windows and door of the shed in Anthracite and the rest in Deep Blue - will see what it looks like.

So now that I have the paint and we're heading into what might be last chance to do it this year, what is the best course of action to get it done? The reddish colour on there at the moment is a water-based treatment (from Wickes if I remember rightly) - so presume there's no issue painting on top? The test areas I did seem to have held well - they were simply painted straight on top.

I was going to give the parts that are weathered a quick sand and wash any areas that have green on them with some kind of anti-fungal solution and then crack on. Then use the Bedec watered down for the first coat on the weathered wood.

Is it worth sanding the lot quickly to get a better key? I'm hoping that 2 coats will be good enough.

I'll post up some pics as we go...

Thanks
    Last edited by bambam; 26th September 2020 at 20:33.

re shed paint

Hi There

The best stuff we have used is Bedec barn paint. Very high colour content and seems to last very well. It can cover what's already on as long as its firmly adhering to the wood. I use a hard yard brush to remove any flaking and dirt on the surface before painting.
    First coat is as sent in the tin. second coat I dilute slightly so it fills any cracks better. Not cheap at £80 for 5L but I really do recommend it

All the best with the project

tim

Get some fungicidal wash from brewers/dulux etc. Mix it up 1:4 ratio with water in a bucket. Froth it up in the bucket with a broom and scrub it on to the woodwork with the broom. Rinse the woodwork 24 hours later. Surface is now ready for painting.

Jotun paint products are good but expensive.

Consider adding guttering, it will help protect the new paint job and the structure.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Consider adding guttering, it will help protect the new paint job and the structure.
    100% to this! I have just painted mine and ordered guttering! If you don’t have guttering and no gravel splash the rain water will run off the roof bounce on the slab and splash up onto the woodwork which will eventually result in rotting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    100% to this! I have just painted mine and ordered guttering! If you don’t have guttering and no gravel splash the rain water will run off the roof bounce on the slab and splash up onto the woodwork which will eventually result in rotting.

Thanks, will look at that once the paint etc.is done.

In the meantime, I have supplies in:

Plan to start during the week to get it all clean and ready for paint.

Thanks, will look at that once the paint etc.is done.

In the meantime, I have supplies in:

Plan to start during the week to get it all clean and ready for paint.
    Good work! It amazes me when people don’t wash their shed and fences before painting as essentially they are just painting over dirt, moss, mould etc. A nice clean prepped wooden surface goes along way for longevity of the paint/stain lasting. That first coat really needs to be able to suck in to the woodwork and a clean surface helps that happen!