closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 mins

Journeyman
    I was one of the 30 that missed out on a PRS 29A yesterday. Given my confirmation email was timed at 1402 I suspect I very nearly made the cut. I’ve got over it! Eddie has explained the issue he is facing: the shopping cart doesn’t deplete stock until payment has been made. This means that as long as at least one item is in stock, anybody can add that to the shopping cart and once it’s in the cart, you are allowed to complete the order, even if there is no longer any stock.

On the wider issue of demand exceeding capacity to pack and ship, given the current constraints I can only come up with one solution - but it will not be popular here. Do not advertise shop opening in any way whatsoever, simply reopen when capacity exists. This will smooth the spike in demand, at least initially. Close the shop immediately a spike is apparent. Rinse and repeat.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
    I can let you guys in on my experience of ordering. It might give some clues as to the technical process, and why the system is allowing orders above the specified allocation. I wasn't going to share it until after I received my watches, in case I had to utilize any secret to be successful in subsequent ordering stampedes.

I was #170 out of 170 accepted orders on May 31st. Apparently Eddie wanted only 150, but an extra 20 went through. The ordering process took me 6 minutes to complete. It took me longer, because after entering credit card details, it takes another 2 minutes roughly for the credit card validation process to complete. I suspect that the order is held during this validation process, and that the extra 20 orders who successfully got through also held their orders during this validation period.

So maybe some others can verify this experience: did everyone have to validate their credit card? Only some? Only those not in Europe?
    I have had to validate my card on the last 2 watches and I am from the United States so.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The point I made above is that it will not ease off any time soon. It may well get worse.
    There are 4 sold out models in the PRS-25 36mm range - so there is pent up demand there, and no stock, so the next order window or few will not address that.
    When they get back in stock The Navigator will be arriving in 2 very popular models.
    Then all 3 of the Baby range will arrive, 3 more popular models.

At the moment Eddie may well be opening with no stock to send. When the re-stock and the new models start landing, at an average 150 orders every fortnight (of all types), he will not catch up for quite a few months.
    If the batch size is 200 and the demand is there, the above list is 9 models, 1800 watches, 12 openings, 24 weeks. Roughly 6 months.

By then we might be looking at Caribbeans, and maybe even PRS-3s, and the above completely ignores the rest of the range, and straps etc.

Eddie does have the proverbial tiger by the tail.

Dave
    I think we can all agree that Eddie is an essential worker. Keep up the good work.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WestwardBound View Post
    I was one of the 30 that missed out on a PRS 29A yesterday. Given my confirmation email was timed at 1402 I suspect I very nearly made the cut. I’ve got over it! Eddie has explained the issue he is facing: the shopping cart doesn’t deplete stock until payment has been made. This means that as long as at least one item is in stock, anybody can add that to the shopping cart and once it’s in the cart, you are allowed to complete the order, even if there is no longer any stock.
    makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by WestwardBound View Post
    On the wider issue of demand exceeding capacity to pack and ship, given the current constraints I can only come up with one solution - but it will not be popular here. Do not advertise shop opening in any way whatsoever, simply reopen when capacity exists. This will smooth the spike in demand, at least initially. Close the shop immediately a spike is apparent. Rinse and repeat.
    that sounds like more work for Eddie. I suspect the current system enables Eddie to manage the intake a lot easier. Your suggestion would mean 24/7 monitoring. Unless of course there is a system where it automatically closes after a total sale of X number of watches across all models - a feature I have not seen offered anywhere else (so maybe no-one's made this feature?).

Journeyman
    “that sounds like more work for Eddie. I suspect the current system enables Eddie to manage the intake a lot easier. Your suggestion would mean 24/7 monitoring. Unless of course there is a system where it automatically closes after a total sale of X number of watches across all models - a feature I have not seen offered anywhere else (so maybe no-one's made this feature?).“

Or he could monitor orders when he chooses to (for example whilst packing orders) and close the shop when not.

Some perspective would help - I waited nine months in 2005 for my Dornbluth to arrive and we all have a feeling how long the wait is for a sports Rolex (actually I dont really know given nobody is really saying). I was planning to buy a Rolex explorer and used models are in the £5k range (same price or more than new) but then I re-looked at the PRS-25 and decided that was a more than adequate substitute. I tried to order a 40mm only to be met by the message about opening on Sunday at 14.00 etc I missed that first opening two weeks back and tried again this Sunday - the watch is now with my missus ready to give me for my birthday tomorrow. So for me it took a tiny amount of patience, maybe a bit of luck and good timing - it may be frustrating to some people but its hardly the end of the world to wait a little bit for something that you really want.
    Keith

It seems the Everest, Expedition and PRS29-A are sold out. Hopefully, Eddie will be getting some more of the PRS. Really hoping I can get one at some point.

Happy these watches are getting the attention they deserve!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanksteak View Post
    It seems the Everest, Expedition and PRS29-A are sold out. Hopefully, Eddie will be getting some more of the PRS. Really hoping I can get one at some point.

The PRS-29a is sold out but the PRS-29am is still in stock. If you want one you better be there on the 28th of June at 1400 because there probably aren't to many of them still in stock. I wouldn't hold my breath for a new batch of the 29a because I am not sure which route Eddie will take on them since the ETA movements are almost non-existent. We will just have to wait and see.

You are right that Eddie makes fantastic watches and the popularity keeps growing.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by swanksteak View Post

Seconded, missed out on the PRS-29A unfortunately (one of the cancelled orders due to the inventory system). Really hoping I can get one in the future too!

Quote Originally Posted by Riposte View Post
    Seconded, missed out on the PRS-29A unfortunately (one of the cancelled orders due to the inventory system). Really hoping I can get one in the future too!
    Try putting a message in WTB (Want To Buy).
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by smoxey View Post
    Hi Eddie thank you for your great work I am sure everyone loves your watches. All I would say is that however you decide to run things is must be work for you. The most important person is you without your efforts we would not have any of your fabulous watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This!

I’ll happily play whatever game I need to, as long as Eddie is happy to keep turning out amazing watches, using whatever ordering and fulfilment methods he sees fit.

4 mins

I think many of you have missed the point. You all seem to be telling people why it’s worth waiting and getting in there earlier for these fantastic watches. Great... now everyone will be in on it. Never mind agreeing with people and saying it’s too hard or not worth the bother thus affording myself the opportunity to grab another watch. Smart... really smart.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Try putting a message in WTB (Want To Buy).
    Unfortunately I’m too much of a newbie to view the sales corner or post - but thanks for the suggestion! Will definitely try that once I am able to.

Unfortunately I’m too much of a newbie to view the sales corner or post - but thanks for the suggestion! Will definitely try that once I am able to.
    That is his whole point.
    You cannot see Sales Corner, but you can put a post in the WTB section, then sellers (if there are any) can come to you.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    ........ Smart... really smart.

We were coming back when you were still going.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Apprentice
    That is his whole point.
    You cannot see Sales Corner, but you can put a post in the WTB section, then sellers (if there are any) can come to you.
    Hmm... I dug around and couldn’t see a WTB forum or sub-forum, could you kindly point me in the right direction please? Tried searching “WTB” but the system said the phrase was too short or common and the search didn’t complete.

Hmm... I dug around and couldn’t see a WTB forum or sub-forum, could you kindly point me in the right direction please? Tried searching “WTB” but the system said the phrase was too short or common and the search didn’t complete.
    I see it like this:

Journeyman
    WTB forum is only available to view at the same point as SC, or at least that's what I recently found upon hitting 50 posts.

Yes I think I found that now I think back

Master
    To be honest, unless you’re in a desperate hurry to buy one, I’d wait until they come back into stock. Eddie is the one who deserves your custom more.

That’s what I’m going to do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well bday time and the Prs-25 lives up to the expectation, what a fantastic piece...40mm has the perception of much larger, quite surprising.
    Well worth being patient guys
    keith

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    To be honest, unless you’re in a desperate hurry to buy one, I’d wait until they come back into stock. Eddie is the one who deserves your custom more.

That’s what I’m going to do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That’s very true, I’d prefer it for Eddie to reap the rewards of his hard work. Guess I lost sight of that slightly since I was planning for it to be a birthday gift - perfect excuse to pick up another watch though! I’m looking at the Navigator too - fingers crossed on ordering day whenever that day comes.

Thank you all for your help in figuring out the WTB issue anyway - I’ll be (impatiently) waiting for Eddie restock instead!

Another way to look at it is this.
    Eddie clearly has a skill in designing, specifying, commisioning and offering great designs.
    That is a real skill and of genuine value.
    How badly utilised is that skill when a mere 4 minutes of frenetic online buying condemns that skilled person to 2 weeks of hard labour, packaging and posting?
    I grant you, getting something valuable packed up right and sent to the right place is also a skill, but it is not the same, nor is it anything like as valuable as Eddie's primary skill set.
    The tail seems to be wagging the dog, with 2 weeks of (relatively simple) work occupying a mind that could be on other things.
    Dave

Master
    Another way to look at it is this.
    Eddie clearly has a skill in designing, specifying, commisioning and offering great designs.
    That is a real skill and of genuine value.
    How badly utilised is that skill when a mere 4 minutes of frenetic online buying condemns that skilled person to 2 weeks of hard labour, packaging and posting?
    I grant you, getting something valuable packed up right and sent to the right place is also a skill, but it is not the same, nor is it anything like as valuable as Eddie's primary skill set.
    The tail seems to be wagging the dog, with 2 weeks of (relatively simple) work occupying a mind that could be on other things.
    Dave
    Yeah, but employing other people is a pain. It creates logistical problems - does Eddie keep all the watches under his bed; or does this new person hold on to them?

It's a big overhead that you then also have to cover.

I can quite understand why he doesn't want to do that.

I could see that allowing some new watches to be 'Pre-Ordered' might at least avoid the potential issue of running out of stock, because you'll know how many you need to order, could help solve some issues - but the main 'problem' he has is that he makes exceedingly good watches which loads of people want to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Yeah, but employing other people is a pain. It creates logistical problems - does Eddie keep all the watches under his bed; or does this new person hold on to them?

It's a big overhead that you then also have to cover.

I can quite understand why he doesn't want to do that.

I could see that allowing some new watches to be 'Pre-Ordered' might at least avoid the potential issue of running out of stock, because you'll know how many you need to order, could help solve some issues - but the main 'problem' he has is that he makes exceedingly good watches which loads of people want to buy.
    Yes, but if one extra person (full time) allows Eddie to make one more production run of watches, say 200 watches at a conservatively small £300 each - that's £60k of turnover, which would pay for that person, no bother.
    Personally, I think one person could allow Eddie to create 3 or 4 more production runs.

There would be no need to change the purchase model at all if the watches were in stock and able to be ordered all the time.

That’s very true, I’d prefer it for Eddie to reap the rewards of his hard work. Guess I lost sight of that slightly since I was planning for it to be a birthday gift - perfect excuse to pick up another watch though! I’m looking at the Navigator too - fingers crossed on ordering day whenever that day comes.

Thank you all for your help in figuring out the WTB issue anyway - I’ll be (impatiently) waiting for Eddie restock instead!
    Erm, wouldn’t Eddie have already reaped the reward when the watch was purchased in the first place? I don’t think he’s that bothered that it’s being sold on to a new owner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    Erm, wouldn’t Eddie have already reaped the reward when the watch was purchased in the first place? I don’t think he’s that bothered that it’s being sold on to a new owner.

He's reaped the reward of the 1st Watch; but get nothing when that is sold a 2nd time.

If you buy a new watch from him, then he gets to reap a 2nd reward.
    Last edited by KAS118; 19th June 2020 at 13:05.

Oh I see