closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boot Sales Are Back !!

Boot Sales Are Back !!

Been out this morning for a mooch around my local sales . Not much around but I managed to find a couple of Seikos

[IMG] [/IMG]

Anybody else been out this morning ?

Rob

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I'm really jealous. They're not open around here yet.

I was at a boot sale this morning - tbh it was appalling
    There was nothing of interest, dodging people all over the place, hit with a face mask

That first Seiko is lovely - I’ll hope to find better at other sales when a few more open

Nice finds Robbo.

None open in my local area yet and champing at the bit!

A couple of friends have gone to the A3 today but I think social distancing is going to be all but impossible.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Thanks lads The gold plate ref 2000 is in fantastic condition for a gold plate 70s watch, it looks to have a sticker on the back so may have only been worn occasionally ....... Loving the large size of this ref having never owned one of these before . Just needs a decent strap and a light polish .Timekeeping seems perfect so far on both watches .

Tbh it was slim pickings today . There was a few people there but I was buying those watches at the stall on my own . I didnt find it any worse than going to the local Supermarket . Busy in areas but space in others !

sweeping hand Cant believe you got hit with a Face mask !!! Hopefully not part of the new normal

Cool

Some real nice catches there!!

I never even gave the bootsales a thought!! I can find out on facey when my local one starts again but i'm having a rest from that site as it's utterly depressing with the opinionated pratts on there, My phone keeps pinging, Must have a hundred messages but it will mostly be just sick stuff that gets sent through messanger!!

Love the SS TV dial one, What movement is within?

John

@ Jhon Its a 6309 , dates to 1983 according to seiko dating site !! Its not the best, case wise but if I ever get hold of a nice seiko diver, I will have some parts if needed . As these seem to be fitted to a lot of the earlier divers.

it only cost me £15 !! The guy had about 7 examples when I got there. But he had purchased some old guys complete collection of Seikos and had sold most of them early in the morning . I can only imagine what else was there going cheap !!

Another trader has cleared a family Jewellers that was closing down . I have never seen so many quartz fashion watches in my life . Suitcases full !! mostly crap/broken but He has a load of automatics from the same clearance ,which he will be selling next week !

I will have to look to see if there are any diamonds in with the rubbish. You never know with large clearances as decent stuff gets missed !!

Rob

Nice haul indeed bud.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    @ Jhon Its a 6309 , dates to 1983 according to seiko dating site !! Its not the best, case wise but if I ever get hold of a nice seiko diver, I will have some parts if needed . As these seem to be fitted to a lot of the earlier divers.

it only cost me £15 !! The guy had about 7 examples when I got there. But he had purchased some old guys complete collection of Seikos and had sold most of them early in the morning . I can only imagine what else was there going cheap !!

Another trader has cleared a family Jewellers that was closing down . I have never seen so many quartz fashion watches in my life . Suitcases full !! mostly crap/broken but He has a load of automatics from the same clearance ,which he will be selling next week !

I will have to look to see if there are any diamonds in with the rubbish. You never know with large clearances as decent stuff gets missed !!

Rob

Hi Rob

It has the correct [position for the crown at 4 so would make an excellent replacement movement!!

I've two 6309's that need sorting, I also have two movements but starting to swap them has me uneasy now as my fingers are arthritic, I stopped messing with watches when I strted dropping tools in to the movements, I even sold my parts washer/dryer to stop me!!!

Hope you find some sleepers next week!

John

John

Our local car boot is always invariably kids clothes, DVDs, books and the like. I've yet to see anything vaguely decent. There is a miserable chap there with a watch stall but his prices are totally unrealistic and he's the least approachable trader I've ever come across. I suspect he hoovers everything up before the public comes in. The only redeeming factor is that it's cheap to get in and there's a really nice pie stall.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

@ Sish I know that some traders do go round very early buying ! The new rules that are now in place ,allow sellers in first with buyers having to wait for an hour or so before entry , to stop people boot diving and crowding around vans as people are trying to set up . I overheard a couple of guys talking today about this exact problem and how unfair it is. Ebay resellers/ traders ,will just take a few items in , set up a stall then walk around Hoovering up .

@ Sish I know that some traders do go round very early buying ! The new rules that are now in place ,allow sellers in first with buyers having to wait for an hour or so before entry , to stop people boot diving and crowding around vans as people are trying to set up . I overheard a couple of guys talking today about this exact problem and how unfair it is. Ebay resellers/ traders ,will just take a few items in , set up a stall then walk around Hoovering up .
    If they can be arsed to do that then fair play to them?
    These guys make their living from buying Collectables from “unsuspecting” people who are actually happy to get a fiver for that broken old watch sitting in a drawer doing nothing.

Breitling vintage

Just got back from my local sale this morning , I found this little gem !

I dont know much about Vintage Breitling ,so any more info would be greatly appreciated , the case and dial are very good which is why I purchased . It needs a service as the watch wont wind. My initial guess is mainspring problem , as the mainspring/winding cogs move when you wind backwards ! If I tip the balance it starts to run .

The seller/trader said it was from a watchmakers workshop clearance ,found in a box full of tools . She had it in her pocket and after looking through the cheap Quartz/ Fashion watches on the stall , I asked if she had any mens vintage mechanical for sale .

She said its from the 50s I think thats about right , maybe a little earlier . Its a boys watch possibly ? measures just under 29 mm ( case size ) , just under 33mm with crown .

[IMG] [/IMG]

Rob

It's a Franken.
    Muros watch co.

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?sit...rk#sucheMarker

The movement is from an American import, as seen by the three-letter stamp on the balance coco.
    The import code for Breitling is WXZ.
    More on Muros watch co.

http://largevintagewatches.blogspot....watch.html?m=1

Hope you didn't pay much for it.

I like the Gold seiko very nice, I have long given up on going to the ones local to me, just full of foreigners selling over priced tat, In years gone by I used to enjoy them but not a pleasant experience any more.

Thanks Bobbee , Yes coming to that conclusion myself after some googling , £25 paid for a Breitling dial and Muros movement .

Should be Ok for a parts watch . You cant win all the time

Thanks Steve the Seiko is nice just needs a service, cleaned up very well with some plastic polish and a fine rouge !

I found out yesterday that my local bootsale opend it's gate last week for the first time!

I put the alarm to get up and go this morn but switched it off when I saw the weather!!

John

Boot Sales Are Back !!

Another haunt opened near me today so went for a look
    I wasnt early so imagine my surprise when as I’m about to leave the field to find a nice oxblood chesterfield footstool....
    They tend to hold dirt in the grain.... more than “patina” but I had a quick clean up with a couple of products and now happy really with the result.....

I paid the asking price..... £10
    Will sell it on now for what should be a very healthy profit £60-£90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice , its amazing what you find sometimes at the boot sales . I only look for watches and there is alot of competition with other buyers ! .There has been times where i have noticed a item that screams quality but I never took a chance on it .

Todays sale was big ! I dont collect pocket watches but I couldnt leave this on the stall for 20 quid !!!

[IMG] [/IMG]

It was sold as not running at the time but the balance tips and the hairspring looks good , half an hour in a hot car its now sort of winding ( without forcing it ) and working. Mrs Robbo has had a little go with the silver polish and its come up well .

No hallmarks that I can see so far and missing its fob ring .

Have a good weekend
    Rob

No hallmarks that I can see so far and missing its fob ring .

Rob
    Surely the 0.975 in the top of this photo is the silver content?????

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Surely the 0.975 in the top of this photo is the silver content?????

Dave
    If it is 0,925 it will denote stirling silver (92.5% pure). I cant quite make it out.
    Nice pick up for £20 whichever it is.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

West End Watch is a company with a fascinating history and many 'firsts' to its credit - first certified waterproof watch, first company to use the new-fangled Incabloc shock protection system, watch worn by the first climber to reach the summit of Everest via the North Face.

If that is a bear just above the .925, it is the Swiss mark for sliver.
    Last edited by SimonK; 9th August 2020 at 14:28.

Thanks guys , it is indeed .935 . From my research it denotes solid silver so case ,crown tube and movement cover ? not sure on bezel as no marks so far

From research on vintage watchstraps .com It should have 3 marks for British silver ! I have a what looks like a lion ! this marks solid silver , although this could be a bear as its stamped vertical ? In which case there would be no British marks.

I cant find any marks for London, Birmingham or Glasgow BUT as Im now aware West End watch Co were big in India . This could have been a direct import and purchased by the Gentry in India .

I cant find any marks for London, Birmingham or Glasgow BUT as Im now aware West End watch Co were big in India . This could have been a direct import and purchased by the Gentry in India .
    My guess would be purchased in India (or another place where WEW were very popular) by a member of the British armed forces or Indian Civil Service who brought it home after service in the sub-continent.

Have a look at Swiss silver marks and see if your lion/bear is the same.

The missing chain ring could mean it was once stolen - pickpockets used to stealthily lift a watch from a pocket and twist the ring to break it off the chain without the owner noticing. Which is why higher end pocket watches had swivelling rings, to guard against this practice.

Thanks Simon will check out the Swiss Hallmarks and see . Seller/ Trader i purchased from has owned this for many years and cant remember where he got it from . He said it may have been one of the London Antique Markets , Brick Lane , Bermondsey .

I thought this may have been stolen and explained the missing ring ,but seeing as I cant yet find another image of a west end watch, with this case. I dont know if the fob ring was fixed or not !

A really nice find!

West End are always decent quality.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Thanks Neil , I had seen West End watches and know they produced watches with Longines ( both companies based in St Imier ). This is my first one !

I have now done a bit more research on internet , its a Swiss Bear Hallmark as far as I can tell . I will know for sure once I get the case properly cleaned !

Before 1890 there was a agreement with the British ,that all swiss 935 silver had to have 3 Bears stamped on the case , after this date it was optional so its possible a export case to another country or a British imported case !

I would say the watch is early 1900s , If Im correct my one and only genuine Antique

Any further thoughts on date would be appreciated , as i still cant find a good serial number decoder or a image of this exact watch.

You could try emailing them about the serial number.

http://www.westendwatchco.ch/

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks Sickie I will drop them a mail , you never know they may still have some records .

Thanks Sickie I will drop them a mail , you never know they may still have some records .
    Maybe add a few pictures in with the email.
    Also as Longines might have a record you could try them BUT they do a thing called an extract from the archives & it cost's about £125.00 I think but you have to send the watch to them. Expensive just for the tiny bit of information you get from them. Basically the date it was made with a certificate lol.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    West End Watch is a company with a fascinating history and many 'firsts' to its credit - first certified waterproof watch, first company to use the new-fangled Incabloc shock protection system, watch worn by the first climber to reach the summit of Everest via the North Face.
    Could you explain that please? I thought the N face was first climbed by the Chinese. Nice find, by the way!

May 25th 1960, Chinese climber Whang Fu Zhou summited Everest via the North Face wearing a West End Watch.

Craftsman
    Well fancy that, every day's a school day!

I thought I would update the thread with a couple of finds from this mornings Sale , Its normally slim pickings for items towards the end of the season BUT Im still finding a few bits .

Lovely Tissot seastar , looks to have a keyless works problem as there is no manual wind and I cant get the date to move needs a bit of work but it is auto winding /working and you can set the time . Love the dial on this , interesting that theres no marker at 3 o'clock . Nice movement with a little micro adjuster on the balance cock . Original crown and bracelet with a decent case all for £20 !

Precimax Day date , nice dial and the gold plates in good nick ! Crown could do with a replacement as its worn through and it needs work on the date as its stuck on the 4th . At least its right one day of the month Nice movement on this with a jeweled rotor , not sure on the maker yet ( need to do some research ) FR is the stamp on the base plate , near the pallet fork . Its a unusual watch for only £25

I also picked up a nice Sheaffer fountain pen , needs a good clean but its working. Purchased this with the Tissot for £15

[IMG] [/IMG]

Happy hunting Rob

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Great finds. You should show your best 10 finds as was suggested for me to do, by Rodder on the forum.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using TZ-UK mobile app

I have been looking at your thread ,some great finds , i still have a few more weekends to go here in essex . Mid Nov if the weather holds . I can then start to go to one in a carpark/ hardstanding in Harlow which runs throughout winter . I always pick up a few there , never as good as in the summer but gets me out of the house for a couple of hours .

I have had some good finds this year , nothing amazing but I think because of the lockdown and no charity shops open more items have been taken to the sales.