closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Haveston canvas delivery

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The M-1944C is made for your PRS-29B. Here's mine on another of Eddie's classics . . .

Yes indeed, that's a perfect match!

Blog Entries

Haveston canvas delivery

I recently picked up an Eco Drive world timer - mainly for the "grab-n-go" convenience.

I immediately removed the bracelet & searched my watch box for a canvas strap / nato.
    Frustratingly, it has 23mm lugs - so the 22mm natos showed the spring bars - a big no no for me.

Remembering that I have 5 other Haveston straps I figured I'd try one on this... but they only do this colour in 24mm...

So it has just been dyed Black & is drying off as I type... here’s the watch head just placed on the strap ...

More pics to follow...

z
    Last edited by zelig; 25th September 2020 at 17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I recently picked up an Eco Drive world timer - mainly for the "grab-n-go" convenience.

I immediately removed the bracelet & searched my watch box for a canvas strap / nato.
    Frustratingly, it has 23mm lugs - so the 22mm natos showed the spring bars - a big no no for me.

Remembering that I have 5 other Haveston straps I figured I'd try one on this... but they only do this colour in 24mm...

So it has just been dyed Black & is drying off as I type... here’s the watch head just placed on the strap ...

More pics to follow...

z
    That looks pretty good!!! 24mm seems to squeeze in well too.

Love an eco-drive! Under-rated but so handy.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Had a nice delivery waiting for me amongst the bills after a week away.

Much softer out of the box (no tins sadly) than expected.

z

Good result there. After a few washes the straps lose a little width, and if you give them a good stretch when wet you can narrow them down a little more. I mentioned this in post #59 in this thread, re fitting a 20mm into the 19mm lugs of my PRS5.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries

Haveston canvas delivery

Good result there. After a few washes the straps lose a little width, and if you give them a good stretch when wet you can narrow them down a little more. I mentioned this in post #59 in this thread, re fitting a 20mm into the 19mm lugs of my PRS5.
    It was your post that made me think the 24mm would work.

I quite like that the stichting hasn’t taken the dye - so provides a little contrast.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 26th September 2020 at 09:17.

It was your post that made me think the 24mm would work.

I quite like that the stichting hasn’t taken the dye - so provides a little contrast.

z
    It looks very good (both watch and strap). Can I ask what dye you used please? If my M-1918C ever becomes really faded I fancy turning it brown.
    Last edited by magirus; 26th September 2020 at 11:57.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    It looks very good (both watch and strap). Can I ask what dye you used please? If my M-1918C ever becomes really faded I fancy turning it brown.
    Thanks. I ordered Dylon Hand Dye Sachet - Velvet Black (50g) from Amazon

z

Thanks. I ordered Dylon Hand Dye Sachet - Velvet Black (50g) from Amazon z

Thanks for that. I'll be interested to see how well the colour holds if you should wash the strap.
    F.T.F.A.

It's been posted today so hopefully it'll be here tomorrow and I'll let you know my thoughts.

1 thing tho. The watch arrived 1 day after I ordered this strap and it's totally the wrong colour obviously when you recommend it. I like you went of pictures of the dial online. Bahh it's much darker lol.

Either way my thought's on the strap coming in terms of comparison to the Haveston I'll update once I get it.
    I look forward to your thoughts re quality of materials and construction.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    It's been posted today so hopefully it'll be here tomorrow and I'll let you know my thoughts.

1 thing tho. The watch arrived 1 day after I ordered this strap and it's totally the wrong colour obviously when you recommend it. I like you went of pictures of the dial online. Bahh it's much darker lol.

Either way my thought's on the strap coming in terms of comparison to the Haveston I'll update once I get it.

Take a look at the Haveston Facebook page, zillions of strap/watch combos there to aid your choice. If your ebay strap is too light it'll sell easily here, then buy a suitable Haveston, or dye it a darker hue.
    F.T.F.A.

So the strap arrived today and it's not of the same quality.
    It's quite thin and certainly enough that as soon as I felt it I could tell. Matching them up it dosn't look or feel of the same quality. It's also quite stiff. The buckle isn't so bad but it's a bit more chunky compared to the Haveston in fact it's probably to chunky in relation to how thin the actual strap is.

I'll be honest and say I doubt I'll even wear it.
    Is it worth a tenner? Nahh maybe £5 to £8 but save your money would be my advice.

So the strap arrived today and it's not of the same quality.
    It's quite thin and certainly enough that as soon as I felt it I could tell. Matching them up it dosn't look or feel of the same quality. It's also quite stiff. The buckle isn't so bad but it's a bit more chunky compared to the Haveston in fact it's probably to chunky in relation to how thin the actual strap is.

I'll be honest and say I doubt I'll even wear it.
    Is it worth a tenner? Nahh maybe £5 to £8 but save your money would be my advice.

Thanks for that info, pity it wasn't suitable. Perhaps a few washes to hopefully soften it and a different buckle might help? Applying Man Maths here, the tenner I've saved by not buying one means I can order another Haveston and it will effectively be half price.
    F.T.F.A.

After a couple of washes I've no doubt it would soften up but as I said I'll probably never wear it so it's another one to add to the collection.
    I think all told I've probably got around 40 to 50 straps of various types and sizes but I still keep buying them
    I guess it's as much a habit as it is buying watches

Journeyman
    All about the HAV!Attachment 18348

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

A shot of the M-1944C on a new arrival.

M1918C in 20mm and M1944C in 22mm arrived today, one of each type of packaging.

Last edited by Dave E; 6th October 2020 at 20:44.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    M1918C in 20mm and M1944C in 22mm arrived today, one of each type of packaging.
    Seems that old stock is still in the tins. What are you putting them on?
    F.T.F.A.

Seems that old stock is still in the tins. What are you putting them on?
    The 1944 is going to go on my 40mm Everest, but it's a tight fit, might have to curve some springbars to get it fitted (I'm currently knackered and will have to do that tomorrow when more awake). The 1918 is currently on a Lorier Neptune II and looks good, although I think it will get better with a touch of fade to tone the colour down. I'll take a pic in the light tomorrow. (Plan is also to try it on a white dialled Everest.)
    Dave E

The 1944 is going to go on my 40mm Everest, but it's a tight fit, might have to curve some springbars to get it fitted (I'm currently knackered and will have to do that tomorrow when more awake). The 1918 is currently on a Lorier Neptune II and looks good, although I think it will get better with a touch of fade to tone the colour down. I'll take a pic in the light tomorrow. (Plan is also to try it on a white dialled Everest.)
    The M-1944C is a great match for the 40mm Everest, and I use curved bars on mine. My only concern with a 20mm Haveston on a 36mm Everest is that being parallel, and with the size of the buckle, it may overwhelm the watch. That's why I've never put any of mine on my smaller Everest. That said, the colour of an M-1918C works very well indeed with a white dial. Mine was fairly new when I took the picture, but they do fade very nicely after a few washes.

F.T.F.A.

The M-1944C is a great match for the 40mm Everest, and I use curved bars on mine. My only concern with a 20mm Haveston on a 36mm Everest is that being parallel, and with the size of the buckle, it may overwhelm the watch. That's why I've never put any of mine on my smaller Everest. That said, the colour of an M-1918C works very well indeed with a white dial. Mine was fairly new when I took the picture, but they do fade very nicely after a few washes.
    Those look good! I'm sure I've got an odd pair of 24mm bars I can bend to get mine onto the Everest, just need to look them out. In the meantime I Managed to squeeze it onto a Nodus Retrospect, which I think looks good, although I'm rather enjoying the M-1918C on the Lorier at the moment.

In terms of wearing them on smaller watches, I think they work OK. I wear a Forecastle on my white Everest and I think it looks fine (there are a couple of pictures up the thread somewhere). Mind you, I also tend to find white dials wear larger, so it may be that it would work less well with a black dial.
    Last edited by Dave E; 10th October 2020 at 15:17. Reason: Fixed the watch name, got it wrong.
    Dave E

That picture above was taken back in June when I'd only had the strap for a couple of weeks. It'll look lighter than those on the Haveston site as that always shows their products as a little darker than is the case. Here's a picture from today after 4 months of wearing in rotation and a good few washes. The light is coming from the left, but the area in the right of the shot next to the tang holes is about the colour it is now.

Last edited by magirus; 7th October 2020 at 19:55.
    F.T.F.A.

The Forcastle on my other Hamilton.

M1918C on a Lorier Neptune:

M1944C on a Nodus Retrospect:

The pair together:

Last edited by Dave E; 10th October 2020 at 14:02.
    Dave E

M1918C on a Lorier Neptune:

The pair together:

Very nice Dave, both straps and watches. Whatever the shade these straps go well on almost every watch.
    F.T.F.A.

Postie called earlier. The Voyager has been in need of a Forecastle for a while now. After a few months of being worn and washed a lot on the Damaskos the 20mm example shows the fading nicely next to a new one. Faded in a nice lived in way though I think. I'll try and get some better pictures when the light's ok.

PS. Another tin for the collection, ideal storage for a couple of Natos.

PPS. Forgot to say that in the first picture the new strap looks longer, that's because it is by 20mm. The website gives the length now as 275mm not including the buckle.
    Last edited by magirus; 8th October 2020 at 17:25.
    F.T.F.A.

I like how they're fading over time. They are damned good straps.
    Dave E

Hmm, the 24mm bars I had didn't work for converting into 22mm curved bars (wouldn't quite compress far enough to fit into the lugs when curved). I'll have to source some proper 22mm curved bars to fit my M1944C to the Everest. Never mind, it's a nice fit on my Nodus in the meantime.
    Dave E

Hmm, the 24mm bars I had didn't work for converting into 22mm curved bars (wouldn't quite compress far enough to fit into the lugs when curved). I'll have to source some proper 22mm curved bars to fit my M1944C to the Everest. Never mind, it's a nice fit on my Nodus in the meantime.
    Before I got some curved 22mm bars from Cousins I found some 1.5mm bars in my box and the Havestons would go on the Everest with those fitted. That said curved bars give loads of room and I ordered some in both 20mm and 22mm, they don't cost much and it defrays the postage.
    F.T.F.A.

Fitted the M1918C to my white dialled Everest and quite happy with the result:

Dave E

Fitted the M1918C to my white dialled Everest and quite happy with the result:

That is a lovely combination!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I got some curved 22mm bars from Cousins I found some 1.5mm bars in my box and the Havestons would go on the Everest with those fitted. That said curved bars give loads of room and I ordered some in both 20mm and 22mm, they don't cost much and it defrays the postage.
    Yeah, I ordered some 20mm and 22mm as well as the curved. Never hurts to have a bunch of spring bars kicking around.
    Dave E

Just buy a spring bar forming pliers from eBay. Only about £7.00 upwards and always handy to have around.

Just buy a spring bar forming pliers from eBay. Only about £7.00 upwards and always handy to have around.

I didn't know such a thing existed! I've made 20mm curved bars successfully by squeezing 22mm bars between two teaspoons, I tried the same with 24mms to make 22mm curved bars. Sadly, while I got the curve, there isn't quite enough room for the bar ends to compress and fit between the 22mm lugs. I think that's just a factor of the bar proportions, unfortunately.
    Dave E

I didn't know such a thing existed! I've made 20mm curved bars successfully by squeezing 22mm bars between two teaspoons, I tried the same with 24mms to make 22mm curved bars. Sadly, while I got the curve, there isn't quite enough room for the bar ends to compress and fit between the 22mm lugs. I think that's just a factor of the bar proportions, unfortunately.
    I had exactly the same when trying to curve some 22mm to fit 20mm. Frankly, given the cost of a pack from Cousins it's not worth the bother.
    F.T.F.A.

Just bought the Lunar Grey Hav-Iva in 20mm Blasted. Going to try it on a Titanium Boldr Venture I bought on here.

Will post pic's when I have both in hand.

Edit: Forget it. It's probably one of the worst straps I've bought.
    Didn't realise you essentially have to fit it reverse side up. It's not for me.

Last edited by sickie; 5th November 2020 at 08:44.

Just bought the Lunar Grey Hav-Iva in 20mm Blasted. Going to try it on a Titanium Boldr Venture I bought on here.

Will post pic's when I have both in hand.

Edit: Forget it. It's probably one of the worst straps I've bought.
    Didn't realise you essentially have to fit it reverse side up. It's not for me.

I did not see your edit.

You have saved me money, time, and disappointment. I was pondering on the WHITE IVA... I got a cheap-y one off amazon and it was really flimsy and awful so I was thinking that maybe a more expensive one... thanks.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Blog Entries
    Had a bit of a swap around ...

z

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a bit of a swap around ...

z

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suits the watch very well indeed.
    F.T.F.A.

. . .
    F.T.F.A.

:-( . . .
    F.T.F.A.

:-( . . .
    F.T.F.A.

??...
    Dave E

??...

;-)
    F.T.F.A.

{;-()
    Dave E

:-)

Postie came very late today, so too dark and dreary for a decent picture. I got this for the DA37, but I think it'll look good on the PRS-5 Broadarrow as well. Better pics to follow when the light improves. I've also stuck up a picture of the watch on a well washed and faded M-1918C for a colour comparison. It'll be interesting to see what this strap fades to.

F.T.F.A.

:-)

Postie came very late today, so too dark and dreary for a decent picture. I got this for the DA37, but I think it'll look good on the PRS-5 Broadarrow as well. Better pics to follow when the light improves. I've also stuck up a picture of the watch on a well washed and faded M-1918C for a colour comparison. It'll be interesting to see what this strap fades to.

I agree - i think this will wash/fade well. Just as interested in seeing how you get on with the material keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I agree - i think this will wash/fade well. Just as interested in seeing how you get on with the material keepers.
    Hi Junaid. I've posted my initial thoughts, including on the sliding keeper, in my long term durability thread.
    F.T.F.A.

I took delivery of a couple more recently. I decided I was happy with the canvas keepers of the Bakelite-F, so I ordered another as a spare, and also another M-1944C but this one with canvas keepers. It looks like all Haveston canvas are going to have the canvas keepers and at the moment some are available with both or just one type as stock is sold and replenished. An email is all it takes to request availability of type/size/buckle finish in either type of keeper, as I had to for the M-1944C. The keepers on the M-1944C are 7mm wide, the Bakelite are 6mm.

F.T.F.A.