closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 136

Thread: Haveston canvas delivery

  1. #51
    Grand Master Dave E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckingham, UK
    Posts
    16,762
    Switched my Everest onto a Forecastle yesterday to wear for a couple of days:



    I don't like the tail sticking up above the watch when you're looking down at it, so I tend to wear it with the buckle round on the nearside of my wrist.
    Dave E

    Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

  2. #52
    Master Qatar-wol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Doha, Qatar and Warwick, England
    Posts
    7,484
    Fold it under? When I first wore the strap I could see the pointly tail, but it really does fold over. Move the floating keeper closer to the buckle, then fold the tail over, then push the floating slider up to hold it flat!


  3. #53
    Grand Master Dave E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckingham, UK
    Posts
    16,762
    Ah, good tip! That works nicely. Not sure that would have worked immediately when I got it, but not it has softened up just a touch it does the trick.



    Damn it, I'm definitely going to have to get a tan one now.
    Dave E

    Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

  4. #54
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    What I do to avoid the pointed end sticking out is to bend the last 20-25mm over towards my wrist before feeding it through the keepers, placing the sliding keeper where the pointed part starts to angle in. This ensures the tail sits flat, and avoids folding it and tucking it under the keeper, which is the point of having a sliding keeper. Of course wrist size and shape may play a part here.


    Last edited by magirus; 28th June 2020 at 10:50.

  5. #55
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Love these straps and as above they work on everything i've tried them on




    Although I never intended to wear my CWC quartz diver on a canvas strap, I thought I'd give it a try to see how it looked. There's simply no way the Haveston would go through the case/springbar gap. This is an unissued example from 2004 with the circled T dial, bought used in that year from Chronomaster.

  6. #56
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Although I never intended to wear my CWC quartz diver on a canvas strap, I thought I'd give it a try to see how it looked. There's simply no way the Haveston would go through the case/springbar gap. This is an unissued example from 2004 with the circled T dial, bought used in that year from Chronomaster.
    was worried about this when I ordered mine as it was for my CWC, but actually went through with very little persuasion. Wonder if the gap got slightly bigger on the later models




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #57
    Master Qatar-wol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Doha, Qatar and Warwick, England
    Posts
    7,484
    With some watches I find that these fat straps need putting in place, between the lugs, then the springboard needs to be pushed into place behind them - they can be tricky to thread through, as you would with a normal NATO.

  8. #58
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    With some watches I find that these fat straps need putting in place, between the lugs, then the springboard needs to be pushed into place behind them - they can be tricky to thread through, as you would with a normal NATO.

    Rather than doing that why not try some curved bars? Quite cheap (I got mine from Cousins). They were so effective I've bought them in 20 and 22mm specifically for using with Haveston canvas. I couldn't even get the tip through the gap on my DA37, goes through with no friction at all now.. To my surprise they also do them in 19mm, so I'll be getting some for my PRS-5 next time I put an order in. If the stitched holes are pulled in tight against the bars they'll fail in no time. This is the gap on my DC56 . . .



  9. #59
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Now they've been worn a bit and washed a couple of times these straps have as expected softened and become more pliable. They also lose a tiny bit of width, slightly more where they bend around the springbars than in the general length. This, along with the lugs of the PRS-5 being a smidge over 19mm, and replacing the 1.8mm bars with 1.5mm bars, means that a 20mm Haveston canvas will now fit. Having tried a 22mm M-1944C against the watch, I think that colour suits best for a vintage look, so I'll be ordering one shortly.









  10. #60
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    A 20mm M-1944C just arrived, bought to go on my PRS-5. Being new it obviously hasn't softened or shrunk slightly in width yet, so it won't fit in the 19mm lugs of this watch yet. It's on the DA37 right now and looking good, but then all of these straps are quite neutral and will look good on almost any watch, IMHO.


  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A 20mm M-1944C just arrived, bought to go on my PRS-5. Being new it obviously hasn't softened or shrunk slightly in width yet, so it won't fit in the 19mm lugs of this watch yet. It's on the DA37 right now and looking good, but then all of these straps are quite neutral and will look good on almost any watch, IMHO.
    It suits very well, I think better than the 1918? But as you say, the colour tones really do go with everything.

  12. #62
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A 20mm M-1944C just arrived, bought to go on my PRS-5. Being new it obviously hasn't softened or shrunk slightly in width yet, so it won't fit in the 19mm lugs of this watch yet. It's on the DA37 right now and looking good, but then all of these straps are quite neutral and will look good on almost any watch, IMHO.

    Great strap Bob. Super comfortable I can see why they're a favourite


    Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

  13. #63
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    495
    But I will have to source some curved springbars, bit tight fitting it to the Omega.

    Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

  14. #64
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    That suits the Omega perfectly Alan!


    Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    Great strap Bob. Super comfortable I can see why they're a favourite
    After a little wear and a wash or three you'll be surprised by just how pliable it'll become.


    Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    But I will have to source some curved springbars, bit tight fitting it to the Omega.
    That curve makes a really big difference. I got mine from Cousins. It's worth taking a little time to take stock of what springbars you have and might need to defray the postage.

    PS. I see you got it in a tin, my M-1944C that arrived this morning was in the new cardboard packaging.
    Last edited by magirus; 7th July 2020 at 18:47.

  15. #65
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Just switched the new M-1944C from the DA37 to the DC56 . . .



  16. #66
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That suits the Omega perfectly Alan!




    After a little wear and a wash or three you'll be surprised by just how pliable it'll become.




    That curve makes a really big difference. I got mine from Cousins. It's worth taking a little time to take stock of what springbars you have and might need to defray the postage.

    PS. I see you got it in a tin, my M-1944C that arrived this morning was in the new cardboard packaging.
    I glad I got it in the favoured tin!
    Maybe a tan coloured one next in 22mm to cover a few more bases

    Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

  17. #67
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    Maybe a tan coloured one next in 22mm to cover a few more bases
    10% off if you order 2.

  18. #68
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    There's more £s in my account than usual due to lockdown, so I've invested a little in another canvas, watch this space . . .

  19. #69
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Dispatch email notification landed earlier, so hopefully new strap will land tomorrow.

  20. #70
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    495
    Got to be the most comfortable strap I own

    Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

  21. #71
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    7,741
    Blog Entries
    71

    Haveston canvas delivery

    I have a blue one on order - but thought I’d try the grey one ...





    z

  22. #72
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I have a blue one on order - but thought I’d try the grey one ... z

    If it's going on that Arktis then I'm guessing you ordered a Quarterdeck? The Arktis is one of only two watches I'd sell most of my group to buy, the other being a Dornblüth 99.*.

  23. #73
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    7,741
    Blog Entries
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    If it's going on that Arktis then I'm guessing you ordered a Quarterdeck? The Arktis is one of only two watches I'd sell most of my group to buy, the other being a Dornblüth 99.*.
    I ordered the Flightdeck with brushed hardware. And a M-1944C for my Pinion. Pics to ollow when it arrives.

    z

  24. #74
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I ordered the Flightdeck with brushed hardware. And a M-1944C for my Pinion. Pics to ollow when it arrives.

    z
    An M-1944C was my first Haveston canvas, and although I bought it via a WTB to test the wear/longevity properties of the material the colour is my favourite of the 3 colours (hopefully 4 later today) that I have, just by a short head mind! It works well on everything from a PRS-5 to a Voyager. The thickness, width (parallel) and size of buckle on the 20mm mean that I'll not use it on my 36mm Everest, which I've always thought should have had 18mm lugs.

  25. #75
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,987

    Haveston canvas delivery

    I am a fan of these straps


    I put the light tan strap on my Airman thinking that it would not work. However I was very happy with the result.

    The 1944 strap was bought with the MKII Cruxible in mind as it’s a modern up scaled A11 and as such this strap is perfect for the watch.



    If I could get them in 16mm I would buy them for my original A11 and A17.

    Last edited by Sinnlover; 25th August 2020 at 10:19.

  26. #76
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am a fan of these straps
    I put the light tan strap on my Airman thinking that it would not work. However I was very happy with the result.

    The 1944 strap was bought with the MKII Cruxible in mind as it’s a modern up scaled A11 and as such this strap is perfect for the watch.

    If I could get them in 16mm I would buy them for my original A11 and A17.
    They look good, I think these straps work with just about anything. The 20mm fits the 19mm lugs of my PRS-5 Broadarrow nicely as the material shrinks a tiny bit with washing, and a stretch whilst wet reduces it a little further. However even if you bought an 18mm version it would be a stretch too far to get it in 16mm lugs I think.

  27. #77
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    No postie today!

  28. #78
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Whilst I love what Haveston do with the historic canvas tones, Damaskos are born with black straps, and now and again they need a touch of the blackness to calm them down. Thank you postie, for bringing the A-12, this will really show the rate of fading after some use. A shame in a way, as it looks top drawer new. The grey stitching on the right side is quite accurate tonewise. Better pictures to follow in better light . . .



  29. #79
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Last edited by magirus; 27th August 2020 at 13:35.

  30. #80
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969

  31. #81
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    7,741
    Blog Entries
    71
    Two more arrived this week... It’s habit forming...



    z


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  32. #82
    Grand Master Dave E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckingham, UK
    Posts
    16,762
    I see the other colours of these (I only have a grey one) and realise that I will have to add at least a tan and a green one at some point. I can't help but think that a tan would suit my white-dialled Everest quite well.
    Dave E

    Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

  33. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Two more arrived this week... It’s habit forming...



    z


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    I take full responsibility for this minor hole you've got yourself into

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I see the other colours of these (I only have a grey one) and realise that I will have to add at least a tan and a green one at some point. I can't help but think that a tan would suit my white-dialled Everest quite well.
    The tan is my favourite - super versatile. I have the green also on my radar.

  34. #84
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    When you say green you then have to choose between the M-1943C and the M-1944C (which is what I have). Of course you can buy them both and save 10% with the code "FIELDSET" .

  35. #85
    Journeyman sickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    436
    Just bought 3. The Foercastle the A-12 and the M-1944C. Mind you I made the mistake of ordering one as a tester then decided I can't wait and ordered the other two 10 minutes later so cost me a little more by not getting the discount on one but they do look like really good quality.
    Free postage is great value for money me thinks.

    Just one question. Wash first or just slap it on?


    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by sickie; 29th August 2020 at 13:33.

  36. #86
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Just bought 3. The Foercastle the A-12 and the M-1944C. Mind you I made the mistake of ordering one as a tester then decided I can't wait and ordered the other two 10 minutes later so cost me a little more by not getting the discount on one but they do look like really good quality.
    Free postage is great value for money me thinks.

    Just one question. Wash first or just slap it on?
    I wear mine for a day or three and revel in the pristine newness, Then into the soapy water!

    PS. Alex at Haveston is a very helpful chap. A quick email and he may apply the discount to all three straps.
    Last edited by magirus; 29th August 2020 at 13:47.

  37. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    When you say green you then have to choose between the M-1943C and the M-1944C (which is what I have). Of course you can buy them both and save 10% with the code "FIELDSET" .
    I mean the 44 - the 43 feels to me a bit too light coloured?

  38. #88
    Journeyman sickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    436
    For the sake of £2.10 or whatever it is I won't worry but always good to know they are helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I wear mine for a day or three and revel in the pristine newness, Then into the soapy water!

    PS. Alex at Haveston is a very helpful chap. A quick email and he may apply the discount to all three straps.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  39. #89
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    When you say green you then have to choose between the M-1943C and the M-1944C (which is what I have). Of course you can buy them both and save 10% with the code "FIELDSET" .
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I mean the 44 - the 43 feels to me a bit too light coloured?

    Probably best to buy both IMHO, 10% off. ;-)

  40. #90
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    495
    The A-12 arrived today.
    Here's a rather poor pic. of it mounted on my sub complete with hidden heli tape.
    (Thanks Bob!)
    I'd rather fallen out of love with the watch but this gives it an entirely different look which I really like.

    Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

  41. #91
    Journeyman sickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    436
    All 3 arrived today and all in tins.
    I guess the tins or cardboard packaging is just random.

    I've put this one on for now but will definitely put it on the Grey one in a few day's. Just looking to see how this bed's in for now. Excellent quality tho.




    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  42. #92
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Well, I have 4 colours in 20mm, but only 2 in 22mm for my Everest and Voyager. Earlier I foolishly slipped the black A-12 twixt the lugs of the Voyager . . .

  43. #93
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    There's a new hue in the offing for the canvas range. Can't say any more, watch this space . . .

  44. #94
    Journeyman sickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    436
    Well I hope its a lighter blue than what they already have. Being delivered tomorrow is my brand new Sinn 104b and I want something to compliment the face colour but so far I can't find anything I like.

    Suggestions would be welcome.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  45. #95
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Well I hope its a lighter blue than what they already have. Being delivered tomorrow is my brand new Sinn 104b and I want something to compliment the face colour but so far I can't find anything I like.

    Suggestions would be welcome.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    It definitely wont be blue! The pictures on the Haveston site show the straps as a little darker than they are in reality. After a wash or three they also fade a very small amount and lighten up. The Quarterdeck may be suitable. Also I'm considering trying a black one piece from Ebay with the same sliding keeper layout as Haveston, great value for a tenner if the qualty is decent, and they also do a lighter blue which may suit your watch.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-C...sAAOSw~9FeoZKA

  46. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It definitely wont be blue! The pictures on the Haveston site show the straps as a little darker than they are in reality. After a wash or three they also fade a very small amount and lighten up. The Quarterdeck may be suitable. Also I'm considering trying a black one piece from Ebay with the same sliding keeper layout as Haveston, great value for a tenner if the qualty is decent, and they also do a lighter blue which may suit your watch.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-C...sAAOSw~9FeoZKA
    They look pretty darn good, let us know if you do order one. At pretty much half price....

  47. #97
    Journeyman sickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    436
    Look's like the ideal match so I've ordered one.
    I'll upload some pictures once it arrives.



    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  48. #98
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Look's like the ideal match so I've ordered one.
    I'll upload some pictures once it arrives.



    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I look forward to your thoughts re quality of materials and construction.

  49. #99
    Thanks to Magirus for this interesting and illuminating thread. I have five Havestons and they are excellent quality and offer such a clever solution to the double stacking of the strap under the watch with their single pass idea. There's no longer a need to butcher NATOs anymore.

    However, I've not yet tried one of their canvas series but have a hankering to do so, particularly for my PRS-29B. It's currently on the Haveston M-1936-B which goes very well.



    I used to wear it on one of Eddie's canvas straps which were great although far too short! They were short 8 or 9 years ago, and many pies later, they would be impossible now. :(



    So I think a Haveston M-1944C in OD green may have to be purchased. I'll hold off for a while, as I have a a Vostock Amphibia coming in from the depths of Russia. That will need a Parade series NATO but I'm not sure of the best colour match until it arrives. :)

  50. #100
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    33,969
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Thanks to Magirus for this interesting and illuminating thread. I have five Havestons and they are excellent quality and offer such a clever solution to the double stacking of the strap under the watch with their single pass idea. There's no longer a need to butcher NATOs anymore.

    However, I've not yet tried one of their canvas series but have a hankering to do so, particularly for my PRS-29B. It's currently on the Haveston M-1936-B which goes very well.



    I used to wear it on one of Eddie's canvas straps which were great although far too short! They were short 8 or 9 years ago, and many pies later, they would be impossible now. :(



    So I think a Haveston M-1944C in OD green may have to be purchased. I'll hold off for a while, as I have a a Vostock Amphibia coming in from the depths of Russia. That will need a Parade series NATO but I'm not sure of the best colour match until it arrives. :)
    The M-1944C is made for your PRS-29B. Here's mine on another of Eddie's classics . . .



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information