closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Haveston canvas delivery

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Thanks for your reply - sorry, when I said 'brushed hardware' I was referring to the floating keeper.

I'm particularly keen to avoid the more usual NATO 'visible fold back' or the pointy end of the strap peering over the top of the wrist - and thought that the way you'd described it would achieve both - but was concerned that a canvas keeper was unlikely to be strong enough - long term. So thanks for providing feedback on that 

Hmmm...might need to look at an alternative then.

When I got my first Haveston I took some measurements re the range of wrist sizes it would fit. This was a standard style Fortress (now converted to single pass). Here's a link #27 . The canvas models are 20mm longer than that and you'd need a wrist well under 6" to have the pointed end showing over the top of it.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    When I got my first Haveston I took some measurements re the range of wrist sizes it would fit. This was a standard style Fortress (now converted to single pass). Here's a link #27 . The canvas models are 20mm longer than that and you'd need a wrist well under 6" to have the pointed end showing over the top of it.
    I see - thanks.

My wrist is also about 7" so I guess that should be OK then.

The worst you could do is try one, you'll always be able to pop it on SC if it doesn't suit.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    The worst you could do is try one, you'll always be able to pop it on SC if it doesn't suit.
    Just ordered a M-1918C

Just ordered a M-1918C

Great minds think alike, I just ordered a pair myself! (along with a strap stowage roll)
    F.T.F.A.

Haveston canvas delivery

Inspired by the your new watch roll. I can confirm old M1 carbine magazine pouches do indeed make perfect watch cases, perfect for travel I would have thought. (In the event you take more than one watch away)

I just need to dig out the old tool roll now
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 8th July 2021 at 15:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Inspired by the your new watch roll. I can confirm old M1 carbine magazine pouches do indeed make perfect watch cases, perfect for travel I would have thought. (In the event you take more than one watch away)

Those look really good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those look really good

I think it might be quite a good idea (for me anyway) There was not effort on my part other than digging them out and putting them in the washing machine
    The tool roll might need a bit of modding but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

They look to be just the right size for a pair of watches, and quite sturdy so good protection. Hope the old tool roll is just as suitable.
    F.T.F.A.

That nice postie called earlier . . .

Let's get this opened.

Ah yes, the pair of straps I ordered.

But what's that underneath ?

Turn it over and Aha, I remember now!

As usual well wrapped.

Nice!

Let's get a few in here.

I'd planned to order an 18mm Fortress, plus a spare in 20mm, but they're on back order, so I got an 18mm M-1918C plus a spare in 20mm. Of course with the 10% discount it made sense to get the strap roll I've been mulling over for quite a while. If you look at the last picture and compare the spare Havestons with the older faded ones you'll see that the straps have been increased in length by 20mm.

Here's the new 18mm at it's destination . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    I’ve finally got around to wearing the PRS-40 and have put the Haveston on it.

Must admit I’m impressed (with both the watch and the strap).

Fortunately for me you don’t have to have the ugly and bulky (in my opinion) fold-back of a normal NATO.

The only think I think I would prefer if is this were a doubt pass - as I’m worried that if I picked it up holding the top of the strap the watch would slide off. However, I have tested that out and so far it only slides slowly and where the strap has been curved slightly from wearing it - it will stop.

Highly recommended

I’ve finally got around to wearing the PRS-40 and have put the Haveston on it.

Great match, looks really good. Re potential slippage, that's not something that ever occurred to me as a potential problem as the canvas takes a nice tight curve over a springbar. However with this particular watch you do have a case/bar gap that's considerably wider than the norm so certainly something to bear in mind.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Great match, looks really good. Re potential slippage, that's not something that ever occurred to me as a potential problem as the canvas takes a nice tight curve over a springbar. However with this particular watch you do have a case/bar gap that's considerably wider than the norm so certainly something to bear in mind.
    Thanks - to be honest, even with the large strap slots/bars in the case, I think there’s still enough drag on the strap to stop the watch falling off - unless you really encouraged it to.

It’s just that a double pass would ensure it wouldn’t.

Thanks - to be honest, even with the large strap slots/bars in the case, I think there’s still enough drag on the strap to stop the watch falling off - unless you really encouraged it to.

It’s just that a double pass would ensure it wouldn’t.

My first Haveston was a Fortress, and back then they still did straps in the standard Nato layout. Perhaps a tad thicker than the canvas, the "extra bit" was soon removed (as I usually end up doing with all Natos) as it made the watch (Dreadnought Voyager) sit up too high for my taste.

F.T.F.A.

- as I’m worried that if I picked it up holding the top of the strap the watch would slide off.

....[emoji10
    That is a study in awareness, if there ever was one. Stay alert.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Perhaps a little colour balance needs to be added to the right, ie 18mm, side of this selection. Hmmm . . .

F.T.F.A.

Well, that was quick, even by Alex's standards!

F.T.F.A.

Well, that was quick, even by Alex's standards!

That looks good to me, really like that.

T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    That looks good to me, really like that.

T.G.

Thank you. The colour's a little more muted than it looks on the website, which I like. I actually wanted a Flight Deck, which is a darker shade of blue, but they are out of stock. However I'm very pleased with this one. The only problem is that I tried it on my Damaskos (DA37 and DC56) and the colour looks good on those too, particularly the DA37 - and of course they are 20mm not 18. Ho hum!

PS. There's a new colour in the Parade Series, "Sea Blue" which looks very good, for non canvas aficionados.
    Last edited by magirus; 25th August 2021 at 13:52.
    F.T.F.A.

I’ve not tried any of their straps but your photos are certainly tempting me.

T.G.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I’ve not tried any of their straps but your photos are certainly tempting me.

T.G.
    I’m very impressed with mine

Well, pulled on to the Damaskos and the Voyager the blue of the Quarterdeck looked very alluring. Unfortunately the Quarterdeck was an end of line purchase and no 20 or 22mm with brushed hardware available. Hmmm . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Postie just called. I like it when Postie calls . . .

I'll finish my coffee and then get these on to their intended watches to see how they look and get a couple of pics taken
    F.T.F.A.

I originally wanted this colour in 18mm for my PRS-68, but it was out of stock so I got a Quarter Deck instead. In truth I like them equally. First a shot of the two shades, then the watches they've gone on.

F.T.F.A.

Decided to wear the 20mm Flight Deck one last time before it's first wash, this time on my PRS-5 Broadarrow. I'm leaving the 22mm unwashed for now so I can gauge how quickly (or not) the colour fades. It's a nice change from the usual tones I wear on this watch . . .

F.T.F.A.

Haveston canvas delivery

A few weeks ago a 16mm Haveston came with watch purchased from SC.
    I didn’t think it suited the watch so took it off and put the watch on a more fitting US style pull through.
    The Haveston sat in the strap box for a few weeks until this morning.
    I took the canvas strap of my A17 (which was always a bit too short) and replaced it with this.

I think it looks good, it’s on a watch whose original strap is essentially the inspiration for their products.
    I am quite happy, I might need another for the A11 now.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th September 2021 at 16:30.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Suits your A17 to a T, especially with having the canvas keepers. The brown Bakelite would have looked good on that as well, but the variation you have is the only one they do in 16mm. Thanks for adding to the thread.
    Last edited by magirus; 13th September 2021 at 18:33.
    F.T.F.A.

Been waiting for a while for a spare for one of the 20mm, and also the same colour to add to the 18mm selection. Luckily there's just been a restock.
    F.T.F.A.

The last order for a while arrived yesterday, a pair of Forecastles. A 20mm to complete the spares in the 4 shades I like, and 18mm to complete the selection for the PRS-68. The original 20mm has faded very nicely, giving the thread more contrast.

F.T.F.A.

The PRS-68 in it's new livery . . .
    Last edited by magirus; 16th September 2021 at 23:21.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Tried a couple on my Caribbean - which lead to trying a few nato options too

z
    Last edited by zelig; 2nd October 2021 at 16:25.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Good selection for a very nice watch there z. I think the brown tone of the Bakelite-F would go well with it too. Re the strap in the bottom left of the selection (black/grey/orange), I've got that pattern in 22 & 20mm but I'll be damned if I can find it in 18mm for my PRS-68.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Me too I haven’t found that in 18mm.

My delving into the strap drawer did convince me to try the grey Halveston on my old Fortis B-42…

z

Master
    Blog Entries
    Swapped the Haveston nylon to canvas that arrived this morning.
    take a screenshot

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Swapped the Haveston nylon to canvas that arrived this morning.

Canvas suits that style of watch very well, good choice.
    F.T.F.A.

Bought the Forecastle from Bonzodog that he showed in post #234, thanks again Andy. Useful as this size and colour is the most worn. It was the polished hardware version, so I knocked the shine off with some 600 grit paper as it'll spend it's time on the Damaskos and the PRS-5 Broadarrow.

F.T.F.A.

I believe I've identified a gap in my size/colour variation for a couple of watches. Time to browse and order methinks . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Does anyone know if these will fit a CWC G10, ie the gap between the fixed bar and the case?

NATO are ok, but they are 1.2mm. The Haveston are 1.5mm, and I think that might be too tight. Anyone tried?

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Does anyone know if these will fit a CWC G10, ie the gap between the fixed bar and the case?

NATO are ok, but they are 1.2mm. The Haveston are 1.5mm, and I think that might be too tight. Anyone tried?

D
    I'm currently wearing my PRS-68 with a grey 18mm Haveston canvas fitted, so I just tried that and 2 others with 3 G10s I have and it's a no I'm afraid. The watches are (L to R) 1983 issued CWC W10, 1984 issued Precista 6BB and an unissued CWC W10 that I bought from Silvermans late 2003/early 2004. The only one it gets anywhere near is the 12 o'clock bar on the 1983 W10 and that's because there's a very slight bend in the bar. I just dragged the first stitched tang hole through, but getting the whole strap on and off would damage it IMHO. It's a shame as they'd look well on these watches. Of course there may have been variations in case/bar clearances over the years and others may have succeeded, as is the case with my CWC RN quartz, which is too tight but many have dragged these straps on to them. Sorry about the poor pic quality, it's rather wet and grey here today.

F.T.F.A.

What a great response! Thanks very much for trying!

I was hoping it wasn’t the case as the Havestons look great and I really dislike NATO straps.

I would try them on my DC56 if it wasn’t so at home on the original chronissimo type strap.

Thanks again

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    What a great response! Thanks very much for trying!

I was hoping it wasn’t the case as the Havestons look great and I really dislike NATO straps.

I would try them on my DC56 if it wasn’t so at home on the original chronissimo type strap.

Thanks again

Dave

Damaskos can also be problematic with thicker straps. I have a 2006 DA37 and a 2009 DC56, and when Damasko released their bracelet both would have had to be returned for the bracelet to be fitted as the drillings in the case weren't all in identical positions. The 37 was always tightish with standard Natos and requires curved bars to get a Haveston on. The 56 could just get a Haveston on but I fitted curved bars anyway, as I also have with my PRS-5 Broadarrow to get them on there. When I had a 40mm Everest that was ok with straight bars in the 1.5mm size. When I got my 36mm Everest it stayed on mainly standard Natos for a year or so until Eddie released the tapered bracelet with the faux rivets, the original was far too bulky for the watch. Likewise, a 20mm Haveston on the Everest, being parallel and 1.5mm thick, and having a slightly chunky buckle, would also overwhelm the watch head. All moot for me as the Everest was always destined to stay on the slimmer bracelet.
    F.T.F.A.

Well, that nice postie called again earlier. I like it when postie calls. That's the dark end of the spectrum complete now with the addition of a pair of A12s in 22mm (canvas keepers) and 18mm (steel keepers) to the 20mm I already have. In the hand the 20mm that I dyed a while ago looks a deeper black compared to the new ones, so don't be afeared if you have one that's faded. That's me done now, unless a new shade is released or there's a mega sale.

F.T.F.A.

I posted this picture in the straps thread in WT, and some people asked me about the strap, so here.

The strap is one I picked up from the SC, I think. It's one made for Pinion, the British watch company, and... it's really good. This one is (of course) 22mm, and I've alternated between this Pinion and a Haveston canvas strap for a month or so.

The Haveston is a little longer, its tail a little more pointed, but the main difference is that the Haveston has a longer length doubled back from the buckle, under the main strap. This gives the Haveston a bigger space for the floating keeper, but means that the buckle will be further away from the watch head than when mounted on the Pinion. The Pinion has a shorter length behind the strap proper, and this means that the watch can be mounted closer to the buckle.

The canvas has a similar weave, but the Pinion is a little thinner, making it easier to thread behind the springbars if the gap is narrow. I prefer the heft of ht eHaveston buckle, but that's not a deal-breaker for me.

They're both good straps, and the only thing that might tip the balance is that Pinion straps, I think, are available in the UK for £25 plus shipping, which saves any issue with customs charges.

Looks great…the reinforcement on the buckle pin holes is a must. Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    They're both good straps, and the only thing that might tip the balance is that Pinion straps, I think, are available in the UK for £25 plus shipping, which saves any issue with customs charges.

Although it may seem otherwise the Havestons come from the UK and there is no issue at all with customs charges. They are £21.70, with free postage, or £19.53 if buying 2 or more and using the 10% discount code. This discount is also applied to a complete order if buying storage rolls etc along with straps. The Pinion looks very good indeed, but a deal breaker for me is the lack of a sliding keeper to avoid the dreaded tuck under and resultant bulk.
    F.T.F.A.

I took delivery of a 20mm M-1918C this morning, the version with metal keepers. Ordered yesterday at 13:39, in my hands at 08:58 today (Saturday). That's pretty decent service IMHO.
    F.T.F.A.

Three in this week. A 20mm M-1918C courtesy of Wandril via SC, thanks again for an exemplary transaction! Also a brace of 18mm, an M-1918C and an M-1944C. All three to go in the strap roll as spares for the future. The M-1944C provided a surprise, I thought the age of tins had passed . . .

F.T.F.A.

Well, I was birthday boy yesterday, just 364 days away from official OAP status now! Amongst other things our lass and the bairns got me another 4 watch roll from Haveston. It fits in well, as there are 9 that I wear in rotation, so 8 stored and 1 being worn. My 3 G10s, which are infrequently worn, are in a small watch box.

Last edited by magirus; 27th June 2022 at 09:17.
    F.T.F.A.

Washed three times.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Looks good.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day