closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercedes AD parts and labour pricing

There is nothing that I can’t do at home and I do have the tools, problem is what would it do to resale value, effectively no service history once out of warranty. On the other cars I’ve decided to do it myself, most of the parts on the GT are dealer only as the low volume doesn’t encourage patent parts, I do have the crossover list to C and E63.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    In which case why did Mercedes give me a quote instead of an estimate? Very unprofessional in my opinion, given your viewpoint.
    They have to follow procedure, aka...dealer standards. The person that gave you the quote whould have no idea if you might have been a "mystery shop". You have to understand, dealerships are very "corporate", you have people in suits that have no idea about the real world influencing policies.

Quote Originally Posted by kas9t82 View Post
    They have to follow procedure, aka...dealer standards. The person that gave you the quote whould have no idea if you might have been a "mystery shop". You have to understand, dealerships are very "corporate", you have people in suits that have no idea about the real world influencing policies.
    And a reason why they quite rightly refuse to fit customers supplied parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I was parts man in our local Kia dealer(ok not Merc but motor trade ) I never used their main city dealership but out of town branch, big difference in labour rates,and i could squeeze a better discount from them.
    Tyres from Kwik Fit, never would I use them, last quote for two Michelins for mine was £300, small indie £190, I only called in as I had time to kill before an appointment in the bodyshop next door. I kept TPMS valves in stock as they had the motobility tyre contract and could not master the art of removing tyres without doing some damage, easy money from them for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    Early in the lockdown I had a couple of rear tyres replaced on my SLK at my local Kwikfit. On my way home and within 5 miles, my dashboard lit up with a selection of warning lights, telling me that the abs, asc, cruise etc, were inoperative.

First thought was to head back to Kwikfit to check if they had disturbed anything during the tyre fitting. They said no, but ran a diagnostic check on the car which reported that there was a fault with a front wheel sensor. All Mercedes dealers/workshops/parts stores were closed, but Kwikfit said they could fit a new sensor if I could locate one.

I got on the phone to available Mercedes helpline, to explain the problem and the diagnosis, and to try and order the part, but the service manager simply quoted me £249.60 to have the job done once the dealerships reopened. This cost broke down as follows: ABS Wheel Speed Sensor @ £71.40 + Labour @ £178.20

With no idea when that reopening might happen, and getting increasingly annoyed at the Xmas lights display in front of me, I decided try and locate the part. I eventually sourced it in Germany. This was an ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, which was in fact the Mercedes OE part.

This cost £10.98, it arrived within a week, and I returned to Kwikfit who duly fitted the part then gave the car a test drive. From handing them the key, to getting it back, took 40 minutes.

All in all, this little exercise cost me less than £50.00.

I do understand from experience that having work carried out at a Mercedes AD will be expensive, but due to this huge cost difference and what I considered an obscene parts mark up and a ridiculous overestimation of labour time, I made a point of running through all this with the Mercedes manager I originally spoke to, and suggested that I would take far more interest in any quotes from them in future!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That’s why they are called Stealers

Had to have the GLC 240 A Service done last week. It was just oil and filter’s they charged me of £317 which was cheaper then other Merc Main Dealers who wanted £386. It’s just a year old and done 7000 miles
    Last edited by hilly10; 14th June 2020 at 19:31.

Master
    Thing is you go into main dealers, especially for high end brands (thinking of the BMW dealer I go to for parts sometimes) and it’s a conplimentary coffee and even breakfast bar and complimentary car washes when you get work done etc... how else do they fund the glitzy show room and freebies whilst you wait? Higher and higher prices on labour and parts.

They quoted me nearly 2000 quid for some control arms on my 5 series... OEM aftermarket parts were about 250 quid and then two hours labour to fit. Who is having who on?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    It’s not just Mercedes... My mustang was due it’s 4th service just before the lockdown. Was quoted £500 for an oil change, pollen filter and plugs.

I explained to the chap on the phone, that despite having a horse on the front grill, it was a Ford not a Ferrari. But I don’t think he got the point..

Anywho as the garages had all closed anyway, my car is no longer in warranty I decided I’d do it myself.

Oil £36
    Oil Filter £8
    Pollen Filter £15
    Plugs £40

Total £99

It took me 3 hours, with a couple of tea breaks.
    What a joke. If there is one thing you can do yourself it is this

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Thing is you go into main dealers, especially for high end brands (thinking of the BMW dealer I go to for parts sometimes) and it’s a conplimentary coffee and even breakfast bar and complimentary car washes when you get work done etc... how else do they fund the glitzy show room and freebies whilst you wait? Higher and higher prices on labour and parts.

They quoted me nearly 2000 quid for some control arms on my 5 series... OEM aftermarket parts were about 250 quid and then two hours labour to fit. Who is having who on?
    It’s the same reasons as the OPs

The Fiat garage asked me if I would like to book our motor home in for the annual service.
    I said no.
    Not unless they can explain why I was charged £10 for 1/2 a litre of brake fluid during the brake check and full service, when I knew they hadn't even taken the rear wheels off.

A bunch of bandits the lot of them.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post

Well, yes.... but survey after survey of customers say that want MORE of these "glitzy show room freebies". Every single customer that comes in for aftersales work gets a survey, i'll give you some of the sugestions i've read recently.

1) "the car wash was nice, but would have better if they could polish out the very minor scratches"

2) "should have more organic coffee choices"

3 "seats in wating area should have massage switch, my car does!"

4) "really need to provide a supervised child play area"

You, aka the customer, get the dealers you deserve, not gonna be rolling back any time soon either....

Quote Originally Posted by kas9t82 View Post
    Well, yes.... but survey after survey of customers say that want MORE of these "glitzy show room freebies". Every single customer that comes in for aftersales work gets a survey, i'll give you some of the sugestions i've read recently.

1) "the car wash was nice, but would have better if they could polish out the very minor scratches"

2) "should have more organic coffee choices"

3 "seats in wating area should have massage switch, my car does!"

4) "really need to provide a supervised child play area"

You, aka the customer, get the dealers you deserve, not gonna be rolling back any time soon either....
    I sense it is the same reaction to being asked by the lovely waitress if you had enjoyed your meal (which you had not) -"Yes, fine - thanks"