closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has this Steinhart release gone un-noticed or have I missed a post about it ?

Has this Steinhart release gone un-noticed or have I missed a post about it ?

Master
    Not seen anything till this week. It'll sell out quickly, I suspect.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I will never understand the allure. Each to their own I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks a lot of watch for the money, no doubting where it got it's styling cues.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I got an e-mail about it today. Didn't even know I was still on the mailing list, must unsubscribe.

It's available in 39mm and 42mm and contains the same cost to whatever bollocks ratio that appears on every watch they have ever listed for sale.

A big Hulk for little Hulks 😂😂

I received the email alert late this afternoon.

Yeah, styling cues excepted, they do make a VFM watch, I'll give them that.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I received the email alert late this afternoon.

Yeah, styling cues excepted, they do make a VFM watch, I'll give them that.
    Never been a fan of the Rolex-a-like copies of existing models, it has never sat right with me. I was always okay with their milsub, Double Red and their vintage GMT etc as those models have been out of production for 35+ years in most cases and are beyond the budgets of most collectors and the Steinhart watches could at least be viewed as a homage or tribute if you like - but this new Hulk is no more than a rip-off.

I got the email too, this doesn’t do anything for me the dial looks bit too small to my eye and there’s lots of bezel.
    I am a fan of Steinharts, usually the ones that are closer to their own designs though.
    That said, I’m sure it’s decent value for money

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I got an e-mail about it today. Didn't even know I was still on the mailing list, must unsubscribe.

It's available in 39mm and 42mm and contains the same cost to whatever bollocks ratio that appears on every watch they have ever listed for sale.

A big Hulk for little Hulks 
    I thought you a the Big G were bezzers!

Anyway, for ages now I've been of the notion that if they released a Hulkalike I'd go for it. Now it's here... nah.

Master
    That’s really really nice that, they have not hang about

I bought the 39 'Kermit' when it came out but started to really go off the whole lookey-likey thing.

However, if they did a 39 version of this …

Blog Entries
    No doubt great value but all of this type of “ homage” read copy watches are to me a little like those kit cars all Ferrari fibreglass body with a Cortina underneath
    Last edited by mart broad; 10th June 2020 at 21:16.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Never been a fan of the Rolex-a-like copies of existing models, it has never sat right with me. I was always okay with their milsub, Double Red and their vintage GMT etc as those models have been out of production for 35+ years in most cases and are beyond the budgets of most collectors and the Steinhart watches could at least be viewed as a homage or tribute if you like - but this new Hulk is no more than a rip-off.
    Sums it up nicely for me.

Master
    The Rolex version is bad, this is worse☹

Craftsman
    Not a fan. The dials look cheap (I have an Ocean 500 so know them up close). The finishing on the rotor and movement is good at the price point though

Yep, would consider them for the models mentioned but anything current production/ceramic I wouldn't touch. It's the current models which stop me buying one or two of the former. I might cave in one day, but doubt it.

Blog Entries
    Modern Rolex owners should be more concerned about the far more accurate copies that are out there than an obvious homage. You're many times more likely to be able to determine the name doesn't say 'Rolex' on the dial than to be able to distinguish the number '2' on the bezel isn't quite right from a distance. Just seeing an apparent Hulk in the wild will raise suspicions anyway and can you imagine being the poor sap being mugged for a Steinhart by a less than perfectly-sighted assailant?

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I will never understand the allure. Each to their own I suppose

Agreed, I don’t get it either. Such a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    Agreed, I don’t get it either. Such a rip off.

Looks even worse than the real version.

Master
    The homage / fake industry is sad, the people who wear the stuff are even sadder. Just buy the original thing and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The homage / fake industry is sad, the people who wear the stuff are even sadder. Just buy the original thing and be done with it.
    Tell us again how many Rolexes you have Mick, I know we never tire of hearing it.

Craftsman
    I quite like the watch, but the gold rotor thing is horrible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Tell us again how many Rolexes you have Mick, I know we never tire of hearing it.
    El cheapo quip. There are dozens here who have twice what I have.

The fake industry thrives on money laundering, child labour, drug exploitation, dangerous working conditions amounting to slavery. If you are happy with that, then you really need to have a serious think about it.

Master
    That's the problem though Mick, isn't it. You can't.

EDIT: Homages and fakes are VERY different

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    That's the problem though Mick, isn't it. You can't.

EDIT: Homages and fakes are VERY different
    Yes I agree Homages and fakes are different but it is like soft and hard drugs, one encourages the other.

Master
    Yes I agree Homages and fakes are different but it is like soft and hard drugs, one encourages the other.
    You made me smile, thank you for that post :)

El cheapo quip. There are dozens here who have twice what I have.

The fake industry thrives on money laundering, child labour, drug exploitation, dangerous working conditions amounting to slavery. If you are happy with that, then you really need to have a serious think about it.
    Are you accusing Steinhart of being fakes and being involved in child labour, drug exploitation and dangerous working conditions?

Rip off ≠ fake

Yup, Mick. Your posts do entertain but don’t conflate the two. Chalk and cheese.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Are you accusing Steinhart of being fakes and being involved in child labour, drug exploitation and dangerous working conditions?

Rip off ≠ fake
    Not the actually factory but people who buy homages are likely to buy fakes and that is where the damage is done. You cannot argue against it, it is at best just ripping off an original brand and at worse doing it by exploiting of other vulnerable people. It is a dirty industry.

I'm finding it interesting how in the watch world, a manufacturer noticing a trend and following is seen as bad, but in the car world it's simply sensible research and marketing.

Should the MX5 be criticised for being a homage to the Lotus Elan, or the Skoda Superb for being a homage to the Audi A6?

I'd really like an Elan, an A6 Avant 3.0 and an 116610LV but in the real world I'll likely have to settle for an MX5 NC, Superb Combi 1.4 and a Steinhart Ocean 1 green ceramic

...people who buy homages are likely to buy fakes...
    I hope you have data to back that up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Yup, Mick. Your posts do entertain but don’t conflate the two. Chalk and cheese.
    Rajen

I spent years have to deal with the printing of fake documents and I will admit I do get over emotional about it, but then I saw the damage it done to legit industries.

I am going to pull out of this discussion because it is obvious no one here gives a damn, all they want to do is wear a cheap rip off irrespective of the damage it causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I'm finding it interesting how in the watch world, a manufacturer noticing a trend and following is seen as bad, but in the car world it's simply sensible research and marketing.

Should the MX5 be criticised for being a homage to the Lotus Elan, or the Skoda Superb for being a homage to the Audi A6?

I'd really like an Elan, an A6 Avant 3.0 and an 116610LV but in the real world I'll likely have to settle for an MX5 NC, Superb Combi 1.4 and a Steinhart Ocean 1 green ceramic
    Just try cocaine and be done with it

Master
    As this forum is owned / run by someone making homage watches I'd say the distinction between Homage and fake watches is important and likening homage watches to soft / gateway narcotics is foolhardy. I own a couple of homages that were bought no only for their resemblance to the 'original' but because I genuinely liked them. Could I have saved / been on a list for years for an 39mm Explorer? Yes of course I could but I actually prefer the look / greater size of the Smiths Everest so that's what I bought.
    I'm not one to buy 'ordinary' watches though, I prefer my SOH to an explorer or Seamaster, my UN Dual time to a GMT II or Planet Ocean cookies and cream, this means that while I may not have an appreciating asset that spends most of it's time in a safe I have something that I wear and enjoy.
    Each to their own though, if you want a Rolex, buy a Rolex, If you want a Steinhart, buy a Steinhart, the price difference and availability alone make them chalk and cheese.

Rajen

I spent years have to deal with the printing of fake documents and I will admit I do get over emotional about it, but then I saw the damage it done to legit industries.

I am going to pull out of this discussion because it is obvious no one here gives a damn, all they want to do is wear a cheap rip off irrespective of the damage it causes.
    Pray tell us also of your years of experience of doing/dealing soft and hard drugs

Rajen

You're funny. Equating fake stamps to a legitimate brand labelling their watches as their own is silly. What damage is Steinhart causing anyone?

Admittedly, there are brands out there like Ginault who effectively are fakes, or started out as such, but Steinhart is not guilty of that crime. Bezel, different. Case, very different. Handset, similar in style but the hour hand in particular is noticeably different.

Steinhart aren't setting out to fool anyone, you're a moron if you think they are.

Not the actually factory but people who buy homages are likely to buy fakes and that is where the damage is done. You cannot argue against it, it is at best just ripping off an original brand and at worse doing it by exploiting of other vulnerable people. It is a dirty industry.
    I would never argue against fakes and the harm done by then, but Steinhart is not fake. You're having a totally different conversation than everyone else in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

Only in the watch world does homage mean a very close copy with a different brand name. Homage cars (or anything else) on the other hand only take design cues from the original.

Wouldn’t consider a Skoda as a homage either. VW group presumably plan and market the different brands separately from the outset.

Craftsman
    Just one data point; buying and wearing a PRS-14 was a gateway to me buying an Omega SM-300; at no time did it lead to me dabbling in drugs or buying knock-off Lacoste polo shirts.

Now posh watch brand prices have soared far out our my reach, I am more tempted to buy homage watches based on classic designs, but I am still dead set against buying a 'Breitling' or 'Pepsi Rolex' which will turn my wrist green.

Quote Originally Posted by in_denial View Post
    at no time did it lead to me dabbling in drugs or buying knock-off Lacoste polo shirts.
    You are just in denial:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You are just in denial:-)
    Like all those Egyptians....

Blog Entries
    Define irony? Discussing the homage /fake watch thing only to have Wish.com wave fake Tudors at me for $26.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I just think it’s wrong to issue look-a-like watches when the original model is still in production (albeit understanding it’s not as readily available at present).

I have less of an issue in making a watch that celebrates an older classic design.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Define irony? Discussing the homage /fake watch thing only to have Wish.com wave fake Tudors at me for $26.

Fake Tudor and very real blow up dolls! Targeted ads at their best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I just think it’s wrong to issue look-a-like watches when the original model is still in production (albeit understanding it’s not as readily available at present).

I have less of an issue in making a watch that celebrates an older classic design.
    It is strange that Steinhart get such a strong reaction especially on a forum where Timefactors do make homage watches not all of which are discontinued watches. I have never bought a Steinhart myself but in comparison to many other micro brands they do seem to be one of the few that have kept their prices low.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    It is strange that Steinhart get such a strong reaction especially on a forum where Timefactors do make homage watches not all of which are discontinued watches. I have never bought a Steinhart myself but in comparison to many other micro brands they do seem to be one of the few that have kept their prices low.
    This continues to surprise me a bit also.
    I briefly had a Steinhart, nice enough, actually pretty darn good for the money but didn't find it all that comfortable to wear so moved it on. It definitely hasn't acted as a gateway to me buying fakes however.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I bought the 39 'Kermit' when it came out but started to really go off the whole lookey-likey thing.

However, if they did a 39 version of this …

Yep I would buy a 39mm version of that one.👍

For me there is a clear distinction between the old discontinued models and look alike current production models.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Fake Tudor and very real blow up dolls! Targeted ads at their best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No idea , not after either yet it's changed to fake Seiko now ! The other day a fake PADI was advertised for $30
    Getting my coat and leaving ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Like all those Egyptians....

I think I'll dig a worse hole if I'm in 'denial' over these 'targeted' ads

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    I think I'll dig a worse hole if I'm in 'denial' over these 'targeted' ads

You don't have to dig for them, they come with three.
    Cheers..
    Jase