closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone have any issues with the Seagull ST19 in the PRS-5 ?

Journeyman

Anyone have any issues with the Seagull ST19 in the PRS-5 ?

Eddie's thoughts on the unreliability of the mainspring click spring of the Seagull ST19 has been doing the rounds on the internet if you google discussions on the Seagull ST19. I thought I'd ask actual owners of the PRS-5: how have you found the reliability of these watches? I understand that Eddie swapped out the spring for something more durable?

Are you talking about the movement issue where the crown starts unwinding back and the movement runs faster? Any examples or links to the issue?

I've been wearing my PRS-5, I don't have this issue. It does run fast especially when I wind more than once a day but nothing significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Are you talking about the movement issue where the crown starts unwinding back and the movement runs faster? Any examples or links to the issue?

I've been wearing my PRS-5, I don't have this issue. It does run fast especially when I wind more than once a day but nothing significant.
    I made 400 of the PRS-5 with the ST-19 movement and as I have posted previously, it's a reliable movement generally but I had about 25 returned under warranty and every one of them had the same problem, namely the mainspring barrel click spring breaking. I won't use it again.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Feel like you'd do better asking owners of the Seagull 1963. They've sold so many of them probably half the population of any given watch forum have had one at some point.

Journeyman
    the problem is that googling ST19 issues generally do not talk about the mainspring click issue. Sites that talk about the click spring are generally traced back to Eddie's post. Perhaps Eddie's experience is due to a bad batch? I am not defending this movement, but just trying to understand if it a real issue, or a bad batch.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
    the problem is that googling ST19 issues generally do not talk about the mainspring click issue. Sites that talk about the click spring are generally traced back to Eddie's post. Perhaps Eddie's experience is due to a bad batch? I am not defending this movement, but just trying to understand if it a real issue, or a bad batch.
    There were two different batches, a couple of years apart. Another microbrand mentioned this issue to me at the time but I can't remember who it was.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
    Viqueria went from a ST19 to a Sieko Mecca-quartz VK64 with their Levante - and I find that rather intriguing (although they've also gone from a Sapphire Crystal to an acrylic one).

I'm mulling over buying a Helm with an ST19 in at the moment - although I think its likely I'm going to pass on it (merely because once you've added postage, VAT and the inevitable courier handling fee) it no longer remains cheap.

I think if I could find a watch I liked with this movement that was cheap I would give it a go...but at the moment I have my reservations.

Had mine (not from new) for a while now and have had no issues with the movement at all.
    Apart from the crown being slightly stiff to pull out everything seems in order.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk