closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sumo woes - 6R15 service or buy new movement?

Craftsman

Sumo woes - 6R15 service or buy new movement?

What is the collective opinion on servicing a Seiko basic movement?

My Sumo is now running around a minute slow per day. I don't think it has been magnetized and I don't recall bashing it on anything recently. From the caseback it's a 2015 production date.

Is it worth getting the 6R15 serviced or just buy a new movement and get someone to fit it?

I think a new movement is going to cost around £200 v service around £150 or there abouts. I assume fitting the movement would be about £50.

Surely a two pronged approach?

Explain to your watch guy the problem, if he gets the back off he should be able to tell you it's serviceable or that tyhe movement is toast.

Craftsman
    I had an issue with a 6R15 that I think was a couple of years old, it was suffering from very low amplitude (sub 250 if I remember correctly) and was giving very inconsistent timing,

I replaced it myself with a NH35 as it was only about £35 from cousins versus £70 or so for a NH15,

Best get it on a timegrapher as if its showing healthy otherwise and it's consistently loosing 1 min rather than all over the place it may just need regulation.

Craftsman
    I'd always prefer to service a movement than buy a new one if it's serviceable, and economically viable.

Do you have an independent you use, or would you send it off to Seiko? If the latter, they may make the decision for you.

If you use an independent let me know who they are, cuz that seems a good price!

You could spend about a tenner on a case holder and caseback remover, five minutes on YouTube and have a crack at regulating it. Hard to do precisely without all the kit, but if you gained that minute back it would be very satisfying, and cheap.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    Is it worth getting the 6R15 serviced or just buy a new movement and get someone to fit it?
    Send it to Seiko and save some hassle. Most likely their 'service' will include fitting a new movement whether it's b*ggered or not.

Craftsman
    Thanks all, I will have a think on this. I am loathe to just leave it sat in the box as I really do like the Sumo as a knocking about watch.

If its consistently one minute I would just tweak it, 10 minute job.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    You could spend about a tenner on a case holder and caseback remover, five minutes on YouTube and have a crack at regulating it. Hard to do precisely without all the kit, but if you gained that minute back it would be very satisfying, and cheap.

I don’t recommend this unless you really know what you’re doing. I’ve fixed a couple of these where the hairspring has been wrecked as a result if someone attempting regulation.

Fitting a new movement isn’t usually my preferred option, the replacement movements are often badly oiled, last time I fitted one I ended up stripping it down and re- oiling it. I prefer to work with the existing movement unless it’s in poor condition or damaged.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    If its consistently one minute I would just tweak it, 10 minute job.
    But why has it changed? There may well be an underlying problem, watches don’t change rate significantly for no reason, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don’t recommend this unless you really know what you’re doing. I’ve fixed a couple of these where the hairspring has been wrecked as a result if someone attempting regulation.

Fitting a new movement isn’t usually my preferred option, the replacement movements are often badly oiled, last time I fitted one I ended up stripping it down and re- oiling it. I prefer to work with the existing movement unless it’s in poor condition or damaged.
    Cack handedness is always a risk yes, but care is always possible also. The OP is happy to pay a few hundred anyway for service or replacement, so the risk is a measured one in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    But why has it changed? There may well be an underlying problem, watches don’t change rate significantly for no reason, do they?
    No idea but has the OPs wear pattern changed ? not winding it enough ? been inadvertently bumped ? it would be interesting to see the figures on a Timegrapher after a full wind ?

Craftsman
    Well gents, to answer a few questions, the watch isn't worn daily, maybe a couple of days a month. I do make sure it runs every week though.

I haven't banged or dropped it that I recall, but that isn't to say the other family members haven't and not owned up!

I have emailed Seiko UK and they will service it for £135 plus VAT so I will send it of to them as someone suggested earlier.

Craftsman

Back again

Sent the Sumo for some TLC at Seiko UK.

Got it back after a paying a hefty bill (£283). Charged me for a new crystal (the old one was scratched) I didn't want it replacing but it was done anyway. Also charged for fitting the bezel, I had removed it to clean it up before sending it in.
    Lesson learned with this experience. My Rolex service, in context, was much better value.

Currently running 5 seconds a day slow after 3 days on the wrist.

Anyhow, here it is and I am pleased to have it back again.

Got it back after a paying a hefty bill (£283). Charged me for a new crystal (the old one was scratched) I didn't want it replacing but it was done anyway. Also charged for fitting the bezel, I had removed it to clean it up before sending it in.
    Lesson learned with this experience. My Rolex service, in context, was much better value.

Wow, almost 300 notes, for me it just emphasises what good value the Sumo Steeldrive clones are

I would of sent it to Duncan/thewatchbloke, prices below and he would only do and charge you for what you wanted doing.

Movement Type Price
    Manual wind date/no date shock protected £107
    Manual wind date/no date non shock protected £117
    Automatic date/no date £117
    Automatic date/no date GMT £127
    Manual wind chronograph date/no date £202
    Automatic chronograph date/no date £232
    Modular chronograph (Dubois-Depraz etc) £252
    Alarm watches £162
    Seiko 6138 twin register chronograph £162
    Seiko 6139 single register chronograph £137
    Premium brand* manual/automatic date/no date £152
    Premium brand* Automatic date/no date GMT £182
    Quartz date/no date £107
    Quartz chronograph £162
    Battery change from £25
    The above prices are for a full movement service only, and don’t include replacement parts or return postage. Any additional work costs £35 per hour and after the first hour it’s charged to the nearest half hour.

That's the trouble with cheaper watches unfortunately.

They still take the same time/skillset to work on as as their more expensive brethren so the repair cost/watch value ratio is somewhat skewed.

I had a quote to service a 007 of mine but TBH it would have been more cost effective to just buy a new one.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    I don't resent it really.

The watch is too good to throw in a drawer and forget about it. If my eyes were better, and hands steadier, I would love to be able to do my own service. Unfortunately those days have passed by!

I took an old watch apart a few years ago and realised very quickly I was out of my depth.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Interesting thread... my SUMO has a noisy rotor all of a sudden. Seems to keep time, but runs out of puff in under a day.

Will have a chat with Duncan and see what's doable.
    Last edited by amnesia; 9th October 2020 at 15:29.

I sent a Seiko back to Seiko UK to be checked under warranty. Came back with a fingerprint on the rotor and after a month or so (once the warranty had run out) the timekeeping was back to the same problem. Sent it to Duncan who did his usual excellent job and it’s been working fine ever since.

Wouldn’t touch Seiko UK with someone else’s barge pole