closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sourdough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    That looks like you got some great height on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That looks like you got some great height on that!

It was a decent bake. Canadian wheat flour with >13% protein certainly helped. I baked it in a Dutch oven to help with spring and steam for the crust.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    It was a decent bake. Canadian wheat flour with >13% protein certainly helped. I baked it in a Dutch oven to help with spring and steam for the crust.

Always use one for mine, but upside down. How long are you leaving in the Dutch oven for?

I have it in for 20mins before removing the cover, then after another 10-15 place the bread directly on the shelf.

Blog Entries
    Looking good mate!

I’d not done one for ages but started it Thursday following the ‘bake with Jack’ method again, timing the stretching between my meetings before overnight in the fridge.

Baked it yesterday & looking forward to some pate on it for lunch today.

Superb Mate.

Always use one for mine, but upside down. How long are you leaving in the Dutch oven for?

I have it in for 20mins before removing the cover, then after another 10-15 place the bread directly on the shelf.

Very similar approach - 20 mins in the Dutch oven with lid on, but then I simply remove the lid and bake for another 20 mins or so still in the pot.

Looks like you are having good success.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Very similar approach - 20 mins in the Dutch oven with lid on, but then I simply remove the lid and bake for another 20 mins or so still in the pot.

Looks like you are having good success.

That’s been exactly the same here but those last two I did straight in a tray although tipped a kettle of boiling water in a tray in the bottom of the oven.

Had another proving overnight in the fridge to now bringing it up to room before I pop it in.

Your loafs are looking great. 

Pitch

My wife is on a Sourdough frenzy and these photos are making her very jealous!

Not your watches just your bread...women!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    That’s been exactly the same here but those last two I did straight in a tray although tipped a kettle of boiling water in a tray in the bottom of the oven.

Had another proving overnight in the fridge to now bringing it up to room before I pop it in.

Your loafs are looking great. 

Pitch
    I’ve not done the tray route recently as I like a really crunching crust and the rise, but the flow you have on the right hand loaf is ideal for a bruschetta of some sort before a pizza!

Will give it a go next time we’re allowed people round, looks a crowd pleaser.

Master
    Superb Mate.
    Who did the glass splash backs & the sockets, they look great. Our walls are in awful condition after cowboy fitters. This could be a great solution.

Blog Entries
    Cheers fella, I’ve used two companies in Norwich to supply. I had a local guy fit the kitchen and I used glass in the main bathroom a couple of years ago which I fitted myself. Pretty simple and for me sooo much nicer than tiles.

Pitch

Master
    We have glass behind the hob, never thought of going all around. One to consider when we change the kitchen.

If anyone has a Vorwerk Thermomix (and if you haven't got one you should seriously consider it as they are life changing from a culinary perspective) this recipe below is fantastic.

I've provided the recipe from the Vorwerk Cookidoo app - obviously the machine does this for you but you could follow by yourself and do by hand I guess

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Will deffo give that a go.

Blog Entries
    Well my overnighter is nailed, very happy with the result.

Sourdough

Looks a quality loaf. Love the crumb structure.

Last edited by boris9; 14th February 2021 at 22:15.

Very nice, Pitch.

Blog Entries
    Cheers chaps.

My only grip was crust was maybe a tad crisp. Drop temp, too long, what do you think.

Ta
    Pitch

Cheers chaps.

My only grip was crust was maybe a tad crisp. Drop temp, too long, what do you think.

Ta
    Pitch
    If you want it less crispy (who would want less crispy???), just put a lid on it while it's cooling down.

Master
    Or once it has cooled, store in an airtight container, which I did on my first bake & was gutted with a lack of crust day 2!!

Well my overnighter is nailed, very happy with the result.

That looks great and IMHO a crispy crust is an asset

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sourdough

Another bake today, used my oven (no heat or light) with a boiling water bath in the bottom to help the bulk fermentation along for the last hour. Being it’s so cold, it really helped my dough development.

Nice open, soft crumb with a crunchy crust. Best bake yet and the bulk ferment in the oven before final shaping really helped. Not a traditional Sourdough, but made using 24 hour poolish.

Last edited by boris9; 15th February 2021 at 19:55.

Blog Entries
    Lovely ole job.

I actually stuck yesterday’s straight out of the Fridge into our warming draw for 40 mins before the oven came well up to temp. As you say buddy it certainly brought the dough along nicely in the bannerton

Pitch

Lovely ole job.

I actually stuck yesterday’s straight out of the Fridge into our warming draw for 40 mins before the oven came well up to temp. As you say buddy it certainly brought the dough along nicely in the bannerton

Pitch
    Warming draw is a good shout. I was worried it might get too warm, but out of the fridge is probably a nice balance.

Blog Entries
    White and wholemeal today although rise not great on the WM, guess I need to up the starter quant.

Pitch

Had my first crack at sourdough yesterday this morning following the bake with Jack vids and recipe. Managed to get my starter "Archibald the first" going quite nicely and was happy with the resulting dough when I got it out the fridge this morning after letting rest overnight. Trouble is I'm not happy with the end result. It's pretty soft and doughy.

I use a gas oven that is sealed on three sides with a 6 inch fap along the top of the door. I preheated the oven at gas Mark 8 with my pizza stone and a tray on the bottom for water. Following the instructions on Jack's website it was bread in, boiling water in the tray and door shit and bake for 15 min then turned down to gas 5 for 25 min. At this point I checked it and it was still a little soft so left it for some more. I went to removed it from the oven but the base was hardly baked at all. Turned the loaf upside down for another 14 min at gas 5. Let it cool for a good while on a rack.

The result is OK for a first go but it is quite doughy. I'm thinking the oven wasn't hot enough and I'm questioning the need for the water bath as my oven door isn't fully sealed.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts because I'll give it another crack in the week hopefully.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

If using a stone I’d have it in the oven for at least an hour, on full blast, before launching the bread. As your oven is not sealed properly, it might even take a little longer.

The water bath is designed to give steam for a crunchy crust, so I wouldn’t of thought that would be the cause. It’s more about time and temp I suspect.

Good moulding and you’ve achieved a nice even crumb, so if you get the bake right you’ll be on to a winner.

If you want real steam, but a bowl with stainless steel screws or stones in the oven before you heat it up and then use an syringe to spray boiling hot water over it after launching the bread. The oven will be filled with steam in an instance, which helps quickly transferring the heat to the dough and gives the bread a good oven rise and a nice crust.

After 10 minutes, turn down the heat and open the oven door for a moment to let the rest of the stream out.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Thanks chaps I'll give the suggestion a go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    If you want real steam, but a bowl with stainless steel screws or stones in the oven before you heat it up and then use an syringe to spray boiling hot water over it after launching the bread. The oven will be filled with steam in an instance, which helps quickly transferring the heat to the dough and gives the bread a good oven rise and a nice crust.

After 10 minutes, turn down the heat and open the oven door for a moment to let the rest of the stream out.
    Dear god, Ralf, you have so many great tips; you need to write a sticky here!

If you use a cast iron Dutch Oven, preheated. Loaf straight in Lid on. Back in the oven quickly. It creates its own steam and a gorgeous crisp crust. Lid off for last 20 minutes IMG_2526.JPGIMG_2256.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    If you use a cast iron Dutch Oven, preheated. Loaf straight in Lid on. Back in the oven quickly. It creates its own steam and a gorgeous crisp crust. Lid off for last 20 minutes IMG_2526.JPGIMG_2256.JPG

That looks v nice and something I may try next time. I take it a cast casserole pot will do? Bit more success this time. Preheated the oven alot longer and a higher temperature as well. Bottom still not cooking as I'd like so may turn it over sooner

Sourdough

Your crumb looks lovely.
    The Dutch oven you have it in the oven for about 30-45minutes at 240-50 to pre heat, Put the loaf in, lid on. Careful as it’s so hot. Back in the oven. And after 20 minutes reduce the temp back a bit. You get a real good base too. I use a little coarse semolina on the bottom Tbat helps with release and crunch.

Last edited by Yorkshiremadmick; 26th February 2021 at 17:50.

Craftsman
    I use either a cast iron le creuset type pan or if I am doing a big loaf I just put on a piece of greaseproof on a pizza stone. Get the oven roaring hot before you put it in then turn it down to about 190 once the loaf goes in.

Being near the coast it is pretty humid here most of the time and I found my best results around 60% hydration.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Great rise this morning.

Can’t wait to get the new oven next week.

Pitch

They look great Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    They look great Pitch

Cheers fella, the boule was a tad overdone but the crust was amazing

Pitch

Today's starter doughs, one made from sourdough and one with a tiny amount of yeast. They have been maturing for 20 hours and will go into the main dough now.

Master
    Looking great Paul, nice work!

And here is the rest of the story:

Blog Entries
    Cheers Matt, they were lush.

Looking good Raffe. How long are you leaving in the bannertons?? My folding is done Friday evening over 5 hours and then in the baskets overnight

Pitch

This one is 20 hours starter doughs, then 2 hours with a double stretch&fold in the middle and finally another two hours for the shaped loafs in the banneton.

Some cracking loaves on here just recently. My sourdough “Uhtred” was killed by the Mrs,

Had another go (mix of white and rye flour) this time using the Dutch oven method. Still not happy though. The taste is good and the base cooked better but I'm not getting any oven spring and it's still a little doughy. I preheated the oven (gas mark 9 for an hour) but not the pot as it was my first go with this method and wasn't sure about lifting the dough in. Pot lined with parchment paper and a sprinkle of semolina flour, dough in, slashed, lid on and in the oven for 25 min at gas mark 9. Lid off and another 25 min at gas mark 6.

I suppose the only other thing left to try is preheat the Dutch oven as well next time to hopefully get more steam created from the dough initially.

Fot those using this method what are you times and temperatures?

How active is your starter before you bake?

I tried all sort of things to improve my awful (flat and doughy and poorly risen) sourdough bread including new starters, long cold proves, short proves, different flours, wetter and drier doughs, autolysis). In the end I found the most important factor was making sure my starter was really at peak activity (more than doubled) before making the leaven and similarly that the leaven was really active (doubled or very close) before incorporating it into the dough.

Your pictured loaf is better looking than my worst but when I look at what has happened in your slashes it seems to me that the dough did not have the power to expand up into the slashes and push them apart.

I resented the waste of throwing away starter and sometimes was feeding it less than it's existing weight - starvation rations for a starter. Now I keep a really small amount of starter after a bake (like a teaspoon) and feed at a ratio of 1:5:5 (starter:water:flour). It rests in the firdge during the week and then is fed again on Thursday or Friday, allowing this to double then use it to make a leaven. I would also try making a single cut so you can really observe the rising power of your dough as it tears the ends of slice apart and tries to expand through it. Now I am experimenting with leaven amounts, more leaven on a colder day, less when it's warmer.

Other thoughts on dutch oven - make sure it and the main oven are really good and hot before loading the dough (I heat my oven to 250 for preheat and for the first five minutes, then reduce temp), be as gentle as possible in the transfer of the dough and make sure the lid is well centred and sealed on the pot.
    Last edited by ernestrome; 4th March 2021 at 14:07.

Thanks for your reply. My starter was pretty good, I sort of follow the bake with Jack method. It had risen by over double when I used after a feed the previous day followed by a removal and another feed. My bulk fermentation seems to be OK and following the bake with Jack method seems about on par with his. I normally do one single slash the length of the loaf but thought this maybe the reason for it not rising much and spreading out more.

Next time I'll preheat the pot and try a single slash see if that improves it

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Thanks for your reply. My starter was pretty good, I sort of follow the bake with Jack method. It had risen by over double when I used after a feed the previous day followed by a removal and another feed. My bulk fermentation seems to be OK and following the bake with Jack method seems about on par with his. I normally do one single slash the length of the loaf but thought this maybe the reason for it not rising much and spreading out more.

Next time I'll preheat the pot and try a single slash see if that improves it

Just skip the pot.

Stick a pizza stone into the oven and preheat for 45mins. Then you turn the formed loaf from the banneton onto a peel with parchment paper and slide it on the stone in the oven.

Just skip the pot.

Stick a pizza stone into the oven and preheat for 45mins. Then you turn the formed loaf from the banneton onto a peel with parchment paper and slide it on the stone in the oven.
    Thats what I've done the previous times but I am not getting the desired results hence trying the Dutch oven method.

Just skip the pot.

OTOH&IIRC you are creating lots of steam in the oven by adding water to a pan, rather than creating a moist environment in the DO?

For a while I was using my cast iron casserole pot as a kind of cloche, launching the loaf onto the stone then putting the hot pot on top to capture the steam. Might try that again this weekend - I think transferring into a deep casserole pot/dutch oven does inevitably deflate the dough a little as you try to avoid burning yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    OTOH&IIRC you are creating lots of steam in the oven by adding water to a pan, rather than creating a moist environment in the DO?

For a while I was using my cast iron casserole pot as a kind of cloche, launching the loaf onto the stone then putting the hot pot on top to capture the steam. Might try that again this weekend - I think transferring into a deep casserole pot/dutch oven does inevitably deflate the dough a little as you try to avoid burning yourself.
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5680169