closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Birds taking advantage of lockdown

Birds taking advantage of lockdown

Sitting here tonight we noticed a couple of Robins going in to the grill on my wife’s car, popped our to have a look

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not a Reliant is it?

Grand Master
    A blackbird landed on the wing of wifey’s car and proceeded to shit , I told her not to get in a flap about it. She didn’t talk to me for the rest of the day, I think I ruffled her feathers.

Blog Entries
    Wow, I'd have to leave them to it if they were about to lay, otherwise they might not have anywhere.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Wow, I'd have to leave them to it if they were about to lay, otherwise they might not have anywhere.
    Yes this please unless an absolute emergency and you have no choice but to use the car.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Angry

I got around to putting some grass seed on the bare patches of the garden, A family of Woodies has scoffed every last seed!

I put bread out but they wanted the seed!!

Told the wife I was going to sit in the garden with an air rifle for a couple of weeks!

John ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I got around to putting some grass seed on the bare patches of the garden, A family of Woodies has scoffed every last seed!

Told the wife I was going to sit in the garden with an air rifle for a couple of weeks!

John ...
    Have some woodies come to the garden, to try to hoover up the bird food spilled from the feeders, and use the bird bath. They enjoy a truce in the garden, on the farm though it's somewhat different.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Woodies are wood pigeons I'm assuming? A pair have decided to nest in one of our hazel trees. Fascinating to watch, when building the nest they just used to clatter straight in with twig in beak, making a huge racket. But we're thinking there are eggs now as there is constantly one sitting and when the other arrives to take over duties the landing is as gentle as can be. Amazing how small and flimsy the nest is for such large and seemingly clumsy birds.

The variety of birds coming into our garden has definately increased this year.

As I've been spending more time outdoors I've acquired some new companions, blackbird and robin. Both now arrive within seconds of me going outside and they're being rewarded with a few mealworms. the blackbird will come to within a couple of feet of me and the robin to with a couple of inches of my outstretched hand. It's a treat to be able to study them so close up.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Same here: more blackbirds than ever - and closer to us, humans, as well. Perhaps they seek shelter from next door's cat... I've learned to determine the sound of the blackbirds: when there's danger, they sound differently: more agitated. That's the moment I storm outside with a bucket filled with water...

In the park next to my house lives a tawny owl family. Mum and dad are flying / coasting through the night. You can hear their distinct call all night lang. Combine that with the sound from the frogs in the pond and its clear that the (night)life is rather busy in the park. I love it!

In my overgrown back garden I have seen greenfinches, bullfinches, long-tailed tits, goldfinches, wrens, blue tits, coal tits, great tits, and various more common species many of which have nested in my garden. Even had a sparrow hawk sit on the fence for a while.
    I live across the road from a small-ish woodland area where we regularly see owls, woodpeckers, jays, nesting kestrels, and even several buzzards and once a peregrine.
    This despite being on the edge of a quite large and rough estate.

John ...
    It will be autumn by the time you decide which one to use!
    Cheers..
    Jase

This thread title promised so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Woodies are wood pigeons I'm assuming? A pair have decided to nest in one of our hazel trees. Fascinating to watch, when building the nest they just used to clatter straight in with twig in beak, making a huge racket. But we're thinking there are eggs now as there is constantly one sitting and when the other arrives to take over duties the landing is as gentle as can be. Amazing how small and flimsy the nest is for such large and seemingly clumsy birds.

We had them nest in our pear tree!!

A squab..

I went on the garden today and there were a few feathers, Looks like one of the neighbours many cats has had yet another! Too late to save my grass seed though!!

The pear tree is full of disease which is in turn giving my Juniper Bonsai rust!!, I keep having to chop branches off my lil trees so I think i'm going to take the diseased paer tree down soon!

John..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    It will be autumn by the time you decide which one to use!
    Ha ha ha!! - You may be right Jase!!

John

We had them nest in our pear tree!!

A squab..

I went on the garden today and there were a few feathers, Looks like one of the neighbours many cats has had yet another! Too late to save my grass seed though!!

The pear tree is full of disease which is in turn giving my Juniper Bonsai rust!!, I keep having to chop branches off my lil trees so I think i'm going to take the diseased paer tree down soon!
    Lovely pictures, can you give the pigeons enough time before the tree goes? My moggy died just over two weeks ago, heartbreaking for me but good news for the pigeons.

I got around to putting some grass seed on the bare patches of the garden
    Grass seed or bait?

Wow, never seen a baby pidgeon before.

Master
    I've just had to pull up all our Broccoli plants as the Wood Pigeons have eaten most of the leave.

The sparrows have also started to eat the Beetroot leaves - must order some netting tomorrow and get them covered up

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Wow, never seen a baby pidgeon before.
    Nor me, hoping 'my' pigeons can produce a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I've just had to pull up all our Broccoli plants as the Wood Pigeons have eaten most of the leave.

The sparrows have also started to eat the Beetroot leaves - must order some netting tomorrow and get them covered up
    Ours are nesting in a overhang literally about 10 feet directly above our vegetable patch, but so far no problem. My wife is constantly putting food out for them though so they are probably finding that easier to eat.