closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Holmesians or Sherlockians Here?

Any Holmesians or Sherlockians Here?

Just curious, are there any Holmesians or Sherlockians on TZ-UK?

I am not a member of any societies or scions, but I am working my way through The Canon, and recently received my first issue of Baker Street Journal.

I'm also listening to episode 5 of the Doings of Doyle podcast this weekend about The Story of the Man with the Watches and The Story of the Lost Special, which I've just read.

And I've ordered Sherlock Holmes and Conan Doyle in the Newspapers, Volume 1: 1881-1892.

I know the movies and TV series are popular, but is anyone here a reader of the original stories?

Yes, read them regularly on my Kindle. Just finished reading "The Adventure of the Stockbroker's Clerk" actually! I think it was free at the time too which was a bonus. I also have a soft spot for the old Rathbone/Bruce films and of course the Brett/Burke/Hardwicke T.V. series.

There's a member here called Mycroft - I've always assumed it's a Holmes connection. Sherlock, not John.

I’ve almost finished listening to audiobooks Definitive Collection, read by Stephen Fry and it’s been excellent. Thoroughly recommended. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...nL._SL300_.jpg

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I’ve almost finished listening to audiobooks Definitive Collection, read by Stephen Fry and it’s been excellent. Thoroughly recommended. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...nL._SL300_.jpg
    Thanks for this. Have a few road trips coming up with the kids and will give this a go.

Yes, and I’m in the slow process of writing an anthology of new short stories in the style of the originals (not in the style of Jim Banana 😏).

I’ll get around to publishing them one day for fun.

If anyone would like to read any drop me a pm sometime.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I have a rather thick tome with all of the stories collected together, and often dip in to it. I also have it on my Kindle.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    71 hours, read by Stephen Fry. How have I not noticed this before? In a stroke of highly fortuitous timing, my Audible subscription has just renewed, so I have 12 credits available. This has got to be worth one of them. In fact it looks like this is going to break my best-value-for-one-credit record.

Master
    I bought an edition of The Complete Illustrated Sherlock Holmes in 1986 which includes every story and is in chronological order.

It has all the original drawings from the Pagets and I must have read it dozens of times.

scooter

Craftsman
    The Stephen Fry audio book is excellent, I just used a free audible month/free credit to download it. Even at the normal monthly price (or double!) it's a bargain.

I've read all the stories previously also, they are free on amazon at the moment for the kindle collection.

I'd be interested in some of the extras like the original post. Is their a good website that goes into originals/extras etc? Can you go into some more detail of what you are working through williemays?

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    The Stephen Fry audio book is excellent, I just used a free audible month/free credit to download it. Even at the normal monthly price (or double!) it's a bargain.

I've read all the stories previously also, they are free on amazon at the moment for the kindle collection.

I'd be interested in some of the extras like the original post. Is their a good website that goes into originals/extras etc? Can you go into some more detail of what you are working through williemays?
    I am using this page at The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia at https://www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/i...ur_Conan_Doyle as a guide to track down and read the original stories in chronological order of publication. I am up to The Adventure of the Empty House.

So far I have been able to find original issues of The Strand in Internet Archive for free. I prefer to print the stories in pamphlet format on ledger size sheets of paper, as seen in the photo above in my first post of this thread. Reading that way in print feels similar to how the stories were distributed and read in the 1890s, or at least I imagine.
    Last edited by williemays; 6th June 2020 at 23:45.

Yes, read them all, but wouldn't call myself a Holmesian, more of a Conan Doyle fan in general (He also wrote some excellent spooky tales). Found all the stories collected in a relatively cheap edition 40 years ago and have read it many times over the years. Must dig it out again.

The Hound Of The Baskervilles is a real masterpiece and on my list of top ten fave novels of all time. Have it separately in a really nice hardback edition.
    Last edited by Geralt; 7th June 2020 at 09:09.

Yup I reckon I read them all as a lad.

Had the complete works since being a boy, as well as Orwell and HG Wells, read Biggles, Jennings, John Buchan, and many others.
    Last edited by number2; 7th June 2020 at 09:33.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

This arrived today, contemporary reviews and commentary on Conan Doyle’s stories and books.

An example from 1892: "In The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Mr. Doyle has achieved a certain success, but it is by lowering himself to the level of a not very healthy taste— - - the appetite for details of crime and villainy."