closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Beemer 4

The more I see it the more it reminds me of a phat arse and the more I like it.

It might be a grower...but initial thought are of revulsion. Also no new engines, just same old drivetrains thrown into a a new body...yawn yawn yawn.

If you find that BMW grille unsettling, then don't Google the 2020 Bentley grilles.
    ______

​Jim.

They've had this in mind for quite some time

Gandini Garmisch concept from 1970:

Or even the 328 of the late thirties could be seen as a design influence:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post

What’s remarkable is how many people at the factory must have seen it prior to sign off And thought “wow that’s horrid” and either said something and been ignored or not said something....

Ford were told by sales director the Edsel designed by Roy Brown was terrible but he was told to FO the brand ran for 2 years before shutting down and lost $250 Million back in 1960...

Bangles BMW designs were ridiculed but became accepted.....this grill is on another level of horrible....
    Good point and agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    What's remarkable is how many people at the factory must have seen it prior to sign off And thought "wow that's horrid" and either said something and been ignored or not said something....
    Describes the corporate world perfectly.

Having checked back into the thread, I hate it less the second time I’ve seen it!

Craftsman
    Has anyone seen the 8 servies grill? My biggest problem with it in real life is how plasticly it looks. This one looks a cut and paste of it so it too will be plastic-fantansic.

Don't mind the 8 series grille tbh.
    Out of my price range though...:-)

Terrible, just terrible. I looked at the new M135i when I had my 240 in for some work and the rest of the car looks a great upgrade. The interiors is miles better than the old 140, rear nice, sides nice, front WTF!!

I drive past a 4 series every night on the way home and the grill is just terrible, I can see this really hurting BMW sales.

Blog Entries
    UK customers will still buy BMWs - the love affair with premium German brands isn't likely to end anytime soon, even if COVID-19 and Brexit put a dent in sales.

If a few are put off by the grille, then BMW won't care, as long as Chinese customers keep buying in increasing numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Has anyone seen the 8 servies grill? My biggest problem with it in real life is how plasticly it looks. This one looks a cut and paste of it so it too will be plastic-fantansic.
    I think this too. While looks wise it's not my favourite design I take it that the car was designed for everyone and not just me. It's not to my taste. Having said that, the 1 series and other cars from BMW with these big grills do well to look plasticy. In fact, even the new Bentley grills look a bit plasticy.

The 4 series is the right size car for me at this stage of life, certainly as 440i GC but there is nothing that will make me change the current one I have for the newer model. More than happy with my 2017 one. Then again, I don't suffer with a case of 'newer is better' or 'keeping up with the jones'.

I like it, it makes it look different and stands out from the 3 series

The grill isn’t even the worst bit. The entire car looks nothing like a BMW, they even got rid of the hofmeister kink ... 0/10

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    The grill isn’t even the worst bit. The entire car looks nothing like a BMW, they even got rid of the hofmeister kink ... 0/10
    It’s there but there must be an aspect ratio lock so as the grill has grown the kink has shrunk.

Journeyman
    I saw a photo of that a while ago and assumed it was a daft artists impression!

Jesus wept that grill is ugly. Shame really because the lights and lower bumper are smart.

This one must be down for a facelift pronto

Do you think a facelift will delete the grill? Don’t think so as normally it’s just a quick nip and tuck.

I saw one of these today and it didn't look anything like as bad as in photos.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Journeyman
    Not a fan (no that I would be able to get one), looks like an Angry Bird

Master
    I saw a new one series last night and thought the grill looked very odd

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I saw one of these today and it didn't look anything like as bad as in photos.
    They (new 4 series) aren't released yet so not sure what you saw.

Craftsman
    I've till next April to exchange my '17 plate 440 - The looks are fine IMO but at £53K (albeit 4x4 and an extra 50 BHP) I doubt that I'll go for the new one at that money.

Probably be a very good car but for £50K I think it's time for me to look for a lightly used example of something a bit more special.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    They (new 4 series) aren't released yet so not sure what you saw.
    Oh, now I'm intrigued. It looked like the new 4 series...

M

Master
    Oh, now I'm intrigued. It looked like the new 4 series...
    Suspect it’s too early even for motoring journalists to get them (in the UK) but obviously that was a gut reaction.

The global launch was literally a couple of days ago so I’d be amazed if they were on UK roads.

I saw a small BMW the other day 19 or 20 reg with a similarly (but not as big) grill so it looks like the brand styling cue now!

Suspect it’s too early even for motoring journalists to get them (in the UK) but obviously that was a gut reaction.

The global launch was literally a couple of days ago so I’d be amazed if they were on UK roads.

I saw a small BMW the other day 19 or 20 reg with a similarly (but not as big) grill so it looks like the brand styling cue now!
    I'm wondering if it was an 8 series I saw now, taking a look around the web - It was only in passing on the other side of the motorway and it seems to have a similar rear 3/4 profile in some shots, which is what I particularly noticed, only reflecting that the grille looked less awful than I expected when it was passed.

M

Master
    I'm wondering if it was an 8 series I saw now, taking a look around the web - It was only in passing on the other side of the motorway and it seems to have a similar rear 3/4 profile in some shots, which is what I particularly noticed, only reflecting that the grille looked less awful than I expected when it was passed.

M

Just had a quick peak at the BMW website and the 8 series grill looks positively conservative by comparison with the 4!

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/all-models/...-a-glance.html

Master
    fugly

had a 435 for a couple of years until 2018, loved it but wouldn't go for this unless it was a leasing bargain (then it's all about the deal)

New Beemer 4

Is it my imagination or did companies like BMW and Mercedes retain the same styles for much longer back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s? Somehow they had ‘classic’ looks where the Japanese manufacturers seemed to endlessly tinker with their designs?
    I’m not really a petrolhead and have owned plenty of VW’s having been disappointed with Audi - same car, does the same thing, costs a lot more, looks a bit nicer - and I wouldn’t be tempted into a BMW or Mercedes now as they seem to constantly change design almost for the sake of it - nothing is classic looking imho. Cars are looking more and more similar, due to making them more slippery and fuel efficient I guess - perhaps the grille is the only design cue to play with? Or maybe it screams ‘look at my air intake, there’s a proper engine under the bonnet not an electric one’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Is it my imagination or did companies like BMW and Mercedes retain the same styles for much longer back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s? Somehow they had ‘classic’ looks where the Japanese manufacturers seemed to endlessly tinker with their designs?
    I’m not really a petrolhead and have owned plenty of VW’s having been disappointed with Audi - same car, does the same thing, costs a lot more, looks a bit nicer - and I wouldn’t be tempted into a BMW or Mercedes now as they seem to constantly change design almost for the sake of it - nothing is classic looking imho. Cars are looking more and more similar, due to making them more slippery and fuel efficient I guess - perhaps the grille is the only design cue to play with? Or maybe it screams ‘look at my air intake, there’s a proper engine under the bonnet not an electric one’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed, and for some unfathomable reason they keep making cars wider and wider, Ime sure I read the new 4series is 27mm wider than the outgoing model even though we have increasingly less room on the roads.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    for some unfathomable reason they keep making cars wider and wider,
    This is one of my major complaints with modern cars, they're getting too wide for our roads.

I`d tax cars on their size and width, makes far more sense than taxing on an emissions basis.

As for the BMW 4 series, 2 door cars like this haven`t been on my radar for 20 years. Pointless IMO, the doors are so big you can`t get out of the cars if parked in a parking space.

For me to buy a 2 door car thesedays it would have to be something special, not one of these. Just buy a 3 series instead if you have to drive the badge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Agreed, and for some unfathomable reason they keep making cars wider and wider, Ime sure I read the new 4series is 27mm wider than the outgoing model even though we have increasingly less room on the roads.

I suspect it's safety primarily but also people getting fatter.

Car v road width is a major issue although one our local council seems happy to ignore when making changes. You see freshly painted parking bays that it is impossible to fit an average modern car inside (that's end to end as well as width).

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    As for the BMW 4 series, 2 door cars like this haven`t been on my radar for 20 years. Pointless IMO, the doors are so big you can`t get out of the cars if parked in a parking space.

For me to buy a 2 door car thesedays it would have to be something special, not one of these. Just buy a 3 series instead if you have to drive the badge.
    Aesthetically a 2 door car always looks better.
    Practical? Probably not.
    But better looking? Definitely.
    I've got no need for 4 seats, and the 4 Series does the trick in an emergency.

Just had a quick peak at the BMW website and the 8 series grill looks positively conservative by comparison with the 4!

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/all-models/...-a-glance.html
    Yes, undoubtedly

M