TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People keep mentioning it so here are the new "Baby" range

People keep mentioning it so here are the new "Baby" range

38mm

36mm

40mm

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I think this bunch will be very popular! The '68 bracelet gives it a very distinctive look
    Last edited by OliverCD; 6th June 2020 at 00:35.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I always felt a bit of an odd one out in not 'getting' the Dreadnought. In 38mm it suddenly makes complete sense to me. Lovely. I'll be looking forward to that arriving.

All 3 due sometime in July.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

All 3 look fantastic - what movements will they have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 40mm Smiths looks like a cracker. Definitely my favourite of the three. I'd better be quick off the mark if the last time the site was opened is any yardstick.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Excusing my ignorance but how do we know when the shop is open?

Craftsman
    Hi Eddie, Who is now making the cases for the Dreadnaught.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

Try to add something to the basket on the site and the page that opens will tell you.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

Go to any model on the website that is in stock and add it to your basket and the page will come up with info as to the next date and time that the store will be open. The next time will be at 1400 on the 14th of June.

Master
    Another thumbs up for the smaller 68, although I am happy to say I have enough wrist to carry the original.

I too always liked the idea of the DN but thought it looked a tad large on the wrists in pics. This looks perfect.

Very glad the Eduardo Plattini pipeline is still intact despite all the geo-political pressures.

Thanks all.

As they all have a date, they will be powered by the Miyota 9015 and priced accordingly.

No, that's wrong; the Baby Willard will have the Seiko NE15.

Eddie

Master
    They all do look very good, and the Miyota is a cracking movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    As they all have a date, they will be powered by the Miyota 9015 and priced accordingly.

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie

Brilliant - my experience is that the miyota’s perform far better than their Swiss counterparts....

Incidentally, the silver/grey background for those pictures is a UPS shipping bag turned inside out.

Eddie

Incidentally, the silver/grey background for those pictures is a UPS shipping bag turned inside out.

Eddie
    I can’t ‘unsee’ that now, previously I thought it was an image of mountainous terrain!!

The baby turtle and speedbird look great. I love my Voyager, it genuinely is one of my favourite watches and it feel right being a slightly bigger watch at 42.5mm. So really not sure on the baby Dreadnought. Dial size looks a bit small in a 38mm case. I'd have said maybe slightly upscaled to 40mm, but clearly there is a demand for sub 40mm. So intrigued to see how it looks on the wrist.

Craftsman
    Can someone remind me what the case heights and L2L are on the Dreadnought and the Speedbird please ?

Master
    I’m liking the baby Dreadnought a lot

Very well done, Eddie! Sign me up for both a Diver and DN.

BTW, will the Diver also come with a black dial?

Darn it, more awesome-looking watches to be confused from. I'm liking that Baby Dread.

Journeyman
    Definitely after the Baby PRS 68.

Eddie, is it the intention that it be supplied with a waffle strap like the original 68? If not, I need to get one ordered beforehand. Don't want to protract the checkout process when it's available.

Definitely interested in the mini Dreadnought. I have a lot of divers, most of which are around 42-44mm, so I kinda fancy something a bit smaller. Especially with the chunky style of the Dreadnought, I think it'll look pretty cool. Plus I've never owned either of the full-size Dreadnoughts, so would be good to have one in the collection. I would have bought a Voyager by now, but the mismatched orange issue put me off. Hopefully that'll be fixed with these (not sure if it was ever fixed in a later run of the Voyager).

I'm not sure about the 9015 movement though. Really the only thing that bothered me about the original Everest was how wobbly and noisy the rotor it is. Yet the notoriously wobbly and noisy 7750 doesn't bother me at all and I have several of those. I definitely notice it, but I feel it adds a certain "aliveness", which is part of the whole reason for owning a mechanical watch instead of quartz. With the Everest though, it was just a bit too much. Maybe it's more to do with the fact the Everest is otherwise such a refined watch and it might not bother me so much in something more utilitarian. I don't know, but I've generally steered clear of anything with a 9015 movement after selling my Everest. It's a shame because in all other respects, it's a fantastic movement and the one I had was very accurate.

This is also why I didn't buy a PRS-68, even though I think it's one Eddie's best-looking watches. I'm on the fence about which I'd prefer out of 40mm or 44mm for that one, but neither is compelling enough for me to look past the 9015 rotor noise. Whereas the mini Dreadnought is unique enough that it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I would have bought a Voyager by now, but the mismatched orange issue put me off.
    I've never heard of this "issue" before. I bought mine new in December 2013, and just checked the watch and all of the pictures I've taken of it over the years and nothing's changed. Here's a shot I just took to illustrate . . .

Edit.

Here's an older shot, looks a tad brighter but that's just different lighting . . .

Last edited by magirus; 6th June 2020 at 15:29.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by SussexScots View Post
    Definitely after the Baby PRS 68.

Eddie, is it the intention that it be supplied with a waffle strap like the original 68? If not, I need to get one ordered beforehand. Don't want to protract the checkout process when it's available.
    No, I only have 20mm waffle straps and this one is 18mm.

Eddie

Definitely interested in the mini Dreadnought. I have a lot of divers, most of which are around 42-44mm, so I kinda fancy something a bit smaller. Especially with the chunky style of the Dreadnought, I think it'll look pretty cool. Plus I've never owned either of the full-size Dreadnoughts, so would be good to have one in the collection. I would have bought a Voyager by now, but the mismatched orange issue put me off. Hopefully that'll be fixed with these (not sure if it was ever fixed in a later run of the Voyager).

I'm not sure about the 9015 movement though. Really the only thing that bothered me about the original Everest was how wobbly and noisy the rotor it is. Yet the notoriously wobbly and noisy 7750 doesn't bother me at all and I have several of those. I definitely notice it, but I feel it adds a certain "aliveness", which is part of the whole reason for owning a mechanical watch instead of quartz. With the Everest though, it was just a bit too much. Maybe it's more to do with the fact the Everest is otherwise such a refined watch and it might not bother me so much in something more utilitarian. I don't know, but I've generally steered clear of anything with a 9015 movement after selling my Everest. It's a shame because in all other respects, it's a fantastic movement and the one I had was very accurate.

This is also why I didn't buy a PRS-68, even though I think it's one Eddie's best-looking watches. I'm on the fence about which I'd prefer out of 40mm or 44mm for that one, but neither is compelling enough for me to look past the 9015 rotor noise. Whereas the mini Dreadnought is unique enough that it might be.
    The Baby Willard is Seiko NE15 (6R15).

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I've never heard of this "issue" before. I bought mine new in December 2013, and just checked the watch and all of the pictures I've taken of it over the years and nothing's changed. Here's a shot I just took to illustrate ...
    The issue isn't the colour changing over time. I believe the original Dreadnought had such an issue. The Voyager issue is not the same.

It was discussed at the time and IIRC was first pointed out by Eddie (or at least confirmed by him) that the hands don't exactly match the lume at 12. I don't have that link to hand, but one of the first google results was this thread where it's quite noticeable in ralphy's photos, especially the partially underwater one that really exaggerates it. There are photos from a number of other members which also show the same mismatch quite clearly.

The Baby Willard is Seiko NE15 (6R15).
    Ah yes, thanks. I missed that earlier as I didn't pick up on the Apocalypse Now reference, so for some reason the whole mention of it just didn't stick in my head.

Master
    . I would have bought a Voyager by now, but the mismatched orange issue put me off. Hopefully that'll be fixed with these (not sure if it was ever fixed in a later run of the Voyager).

I'm not sure about the 9015 movement though. Really the only thing that bothered me about the original Everest was how wobbly and noisy the rotor it is. .
    I'm not sure what 'Orange' issue you're referring to? I have a Dreadnought Voyager and I can't see any 'issue' with the Orange at all. I think it's a fantastic watch.

My Newmark 71 has a Miyota 9015 - and I really can't understand the criticism of this movement. I usually wear my watches 2-weeks at a time and over that period it averages less tha +1secs per day. Can't really say that I think the rota is noisy. But even in tases times of lockdown and inactivity it manages to keep the watch wound.

The issue isn't the colour changing over time. I believe the original Dreadnought had such an issue. The Voyager issue is not the same.

It was discussed at the time and IIRC was first pointed out by Eddie (or at least confirmed by him) that the hands don't exactly match the lume at 12. I don't have that link to hand, but one of the first google results was this thread where it's quite noticeable in ralphy's photos, especially the partially underwater one that really exaggerates it. There are photos from a number of other members which also show the same mismatch quite clearly.
    That's what I thought you meant, mismatch rather than fading. Ralph's looks quite different to mine. The first lot of Voyagers were released in two batches of 100 each IIRC, mine came from the 2nd batch, but I don't know if anything changed between batches.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's what I thought you meant, mismatch rather than fading. Ralph's looks quite different to mine. The first lot of Voyagers were released in two batches of 100 each IIRC, mine came from the 2nd batch, but I don't know if anything changed between batches.
    Mine is also the second batch and looks to be exactly the same colour as yours Bob. It would have looked of the lume at 12 matched the hands - too orange, I rather like how it is.

Absolutely love the Smiths PRS-68 40MM well done Eddie.

No, I only have 20mm waffle straps and this one is 18mm.

Eddie
    At least we have plenty of time to look around for a suitably sized waffle strap.

Hi all

One of those baby Dreadnoughts has my name on it.!

Actually, you could spell my name out of Dreadnought (deano), but I didn't mean it like that

Thanks
    deano

Journeyman

38mm Dreadnought lug width.

Hi Eddie,

Could you please confirm the lug width of the 38mm Dreadnought? I could have sworn it was 20mm from your CAD drawings, but I saw that you stated that it was 18mm on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    Hi Eddie,

Could you please confirm the lug width of the 38mm Dreadnought? I could have sworn it was 20mm from your CAD drawings, but I saw that you stated that it was 18mm on Facebook.
    Looks less than half, so 18mm

Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    Hi Eddie,

It's 18mm on the drawings.

Eddie

Journeyman
    It's 18mm on the drawings.

Eddie
    Cheers for the confirmation.

Craftsman
    Will there be a sterile dial variant of the speedbird in this size?

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Will there be a sterile dial variant of the speedbird in this size?
    No.

Eddie

Apprentice
    Good grief that baby 6105 looks excellent. What is the planned lug-to-lug? 44ish, from the eye test?

Craftsman
    No.

Eddie
    Ah well. Cheers Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
    Good grief that baby 6105 looks excellent. What is the planned lug-to-lug? 44ish, from the eye test?
    Close enough, 43.5mm.

Eddie

What is the dial colour of the Willard? I thought it looked blue but then wondered if it was black but looked blue-ish due to the AR or whatever on the glass? Black would be amazing !!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ogdensnut View Post
    What is the dial colour of the Willard? I thought it looked blue but then wondered if it was black but looked blue-ish due to the AR or whatever on the glass? Black would be amazing !!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    It's black.

Eddie

They all look excellent! The heft of the original SBIII made me move it on, so I am really looking forward to the 36 mm variant.
    I assume this will have 18 mm lug width?

People keep mentioning it so here are the new "Baby" range

Is there a technical drawing/spec sheet for the Baby Dreadnought?

Too many superb TF watches to choose from over the next few months!
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 11th June 2020 at 21:41.

Apprentice
    it is July finally. any updates for the baby range?