closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2k Car recommendations

2k Car recommendations

Due to a split will be needing a car shortly, for ferrying my kids around London and for longer trips to Somerset several times a year.
    Coming from a Diesel Passat, I think I could manage with something smaller, but needs to be petrol and ULEZ compatible.

Budget is around 2k, not really fussed about mpg or as I won be doing too many miles, but would like something interesting if possible!

Any suggestions?

Sorry to learn of the split sir.

I had a 2004 BMW e46 M-sport coupe 2.2 litre petrol 170bhp that I loved (regret selling it last year). Easy enough on the petrol (25-30 mpg) and a lovely looking thing, good enough room in the back depending of number of kids but plenty big enough for 4 adults.

I also like the look of the Volvo V70 Convertible, always looked appealing.

Good luck, I imagine plenty of nice older cars available for that money.. why not get in touch with Dave O'Sullivan of this parish? think he's London based.

Craftsman
    Hard to go wrond with a vw group motor but check repair costs at that budget and make sure there are plenty of the motors on the road with lots of non dealer parts readily avalible

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Two cars I have sold on here both were reliable and economical: Clio 1.5Dci and Mazda 2 1.3 petrol. And under 2K.

Master
    Boring yet utterly reliable: Honda Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Boring yet utterly reliable: Honda Jazz.
    Agreed! just buy a Honda that suites your needs. Can't go wrong.

Blog Entries
    Honda Civic 1.8 petrol - the ones from around 2006 onwards with the funky shape.

Loads of internal space, very reliable and quite frugal too. Should be able to get a decent one with FSH within your budget.

Master
    Panda. They are surprisingly comfortable, I used ours for a weekly commute from East Hampshire to Taunton and it was fine. Rear seat room is not too bad but might be an issue if the kids are teenagers.

And sorry to hear about the split, rotten luck, I hope it's not too stressful.

Clio.

The MK 2 was a pile of poo but the MK 3 onwards are way better.

important thing is to have history and not to buy from a d@@k h@@d

Craftsman
    Autotrader is great for this. Just put your budget in (I'd set £2,000-2,500 as there is always a deal to be done). Then petrol/manual/private seller and within 25 miles of your place and just see what comes up. I'd avoid dealers at this price as they'll need their margin covering and you'll get less car for the money than a private sale.

You could even get a Beamer for the money ;-)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...02002177405446

Saab 9-3. Or, if you need something a bit bigger, Saab 9-5.

I’d seriously look at a Toyota RAV4 for that money. I had one years ago, rock solid build and typical Toyota reliability, warm hatch performance from the 2.0 litre (poor fuel economy) and handling better than its high sided appearance would have you believe.

Failing that, any Toyota for unrivalled reliability.

I had a 2005 Civic Type-S with the 2 litre engine for 7 years. 38 mpg and utterly reliable. Never had any issues, just the usual consumables. It did the 0-60 in a respectable 8.5s too.

Kinda boring but ticks the boxes, and minimum risk as typically come from older lady owners...

Jazz.

Hyundi i30 ?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Hyundi i30 ?
    Boring - but I couldn't recommend a city car for your needs high enough (VW UP and co.). Amazingly cheap to run - perfect for the city and can "manage" longer rides every now and then.

If your budget can stretch, getting a Ford Fiesta or a VW Polo is a good buy - they are fantastic cars and hold their value. I bought a Fiesta 5 years old with 30k miles for 6k and sold it 3 years later for the exact same...can't really beat that.

If you can find a good one check out a Toyota Yaris 1.5 t sport... Proper made in Japan quality wee scoot and meant to be great fun..I had a 1.3 Yaris and it was a brilliant wee thing and as a 5 door surprisingly practical.. And of course mega reliable

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    If you can find a good one check out a Toyota Yaris 1.5 t sport... Proper made in Japan quality wee scoot and meant to be great fun..I had a 1.3 Yaris and it was a brilliant wee thing and as a 5 door surprisingly practical.. And of course mega reliable
    Excellent cars too, Liz has just bought a 1.3
    Yaris and it's very good, her second one.
    I have the Honda 1.8S, quick, reliable, and getting 43.7mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Excellent cars too, Liz has just bought a 1.3
    Yaris and it's very good, her second one.
    I have the Honda 1.8S, quick, reliable, and getting 43.7mpg.
    You just got me searching, and there's what looks like a nice one in Huddersfield for a grand! Looks like a lot of fun disposable motoring for that!

CLICK

I ran a 1.3 for a couple of years and put a lot of motorway commuting miles on it...the 1.3 engine was great and economical and fun to drive..I always had a hankering for a T sport and never got round to it...they have quite a following and getting rarer..I've seen a few on ebay and with FSH they can handle big miles...and hopefully not thrashed too hard !

Blog Entries
    I actually championed the Civic but not sure how I forgot the Yaris TBH.

We've had a mkI 1.3 5dr in the family for 17 years now and all it's needed in that time apart from consumables like tyres, brake pads etc. is 2 batteries, 1 rear silencer and a pair of front ARB drop links. It gets used almost every day, mainly for short journeys of 1-2 miles, so probably the worst usage profile from a wear and tear perspective.

Amazing car and hands down the winner of lowest running costs of any car we've had in the family. My only reservation would be space - hence why I chose the Civic over it.

this looks like top end of the market..low miles mind..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Toyo...MAAOSwfVtdsMvL

these is a yaris t sport owners club too and they used to have some nice ones in the classifieds...I wonder if I could sneak one on my drive without the wife looking ?