closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on a Watch Swapping Club

Thoughts on a Watch Swapping Club

As the General Consensus is that it would not work with far to many risks involved I have deleted the post
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 6th June 2020 at 16:23.

Very popular in the suburbs, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Very popular in the suburbs, apparently.
    You will be familiar with the Car Share episode where such activities were discussed , Flower ??
    I still have a little accident every time I see it .................

Oh, just missed the "trusted members" bit ...

A member/friend offered to loan me his SD to try out but just the thought of wearing it brought me out in a cold sweat even though I would have loved the opportunity to try it.

I am not hard on any of my watches but sods law something could happen while wearing someone elses, depending on the watch one could lose a friend and a lot of money.

Master
    I'm pretty sure the idea of a TZUK Multi-coloured swap-shop has been touted a few times and never really taken off. It's just easier to flog your watch in SC and then buy another with the proceeds than hoping someone has a watch the same value as yours that both fancy swapping.

It might make for an interesting thread. Swaps only - rough value and basic idea of what you fancy in exchange. Try it out.

Master
    The way that members grieve over strap-change marks to the back of lugs, not a chance in hell!

Your enthusiasm is touching.

I wouldn't want to take part. Life has taught me two golden rules:

1 If you lend something to someone, they will break it.

2. If you borrow something, you will break it.

It doesn't matter how friendly, careful, loved, trusted, or good-hearted any party is - those two rules are inviolable. I think some sort of malevolent spirit exists solely to enforce the rules. They are omnipresent and omnipotent.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    The way that members grieve over strap-change marks to the back of lugs, not a chance in hell!
    I hold my hand up to that one - a pet hate of mine and a key question before buying a watch these days.

I could see it working locally between friends, but I doubt it would take off much further than that I'm afraid.

No good deed goes unpunished, tends to be my experience. I am with unclealec on this one.

I would say we could pick the buckles out of an ashtray, but I'd end up with the Invicta!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

It sounds like a great idea but some **** will spoilt it for everyone by making off with a watch, breaking a watch, not complying with the agreed rules etc. It will be a headache for whoever is running it (it will take some running)

Craftsman
    I think it would bring too many potential headaches to be viable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I hold my hand up to that one - a pet hate of mine and a key question before buying a watch these days.

I could see it working locally between friends, but I doubt it would take off much further than that I'm afraid.
    Exactly. It would require a hell of a lot of trust. I cringe when I read about people using electrical tape and loupes to change straps. There is far too much of a spectrum for it to really beviable. And then would you send it to your local for a cheap polish, or send it over to say Rolex to polish out the marks whereby they'd also ask for a full service at the same time, or from stories these days, charge you for a new case. Just feels like a headache.

First time something went AWOL in the post and it'd be dead on its arse. Shame, because it's an appealing notion, and I'm in the process of trading watch-for-watch with a forum member and very much looking forward to the change. Too many dishonest/careless/unlucky twa... er... twits out there, however, sadly.

Blog Entries
    SC is available for exchange of watches.

If you're happy with the thought of some clumsy oaf smacking your watch into his badly painted door frame, you're ready to sell it.

Reminds me of my workplace music club back in the days of vinyl. The idea was for us all to fund a scheme to enable each member in turn to buy a favourite album. They would buy it and have first go at recording it onto tape. It was then passed round each member to do the same, the rules were to just play it once when recording then pass it on. When everyone had done you got your album back. We did get them back.....scratched up to f every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Reminds me of my workplace music club back in the days of vinyl. The idea was for us all to fund a scheme to enable each member in turn to buy a favourite album. They would buy it and have first go at recording it onto tape. It was then passed round each member to do the same, the rules were to just play it once when recording then pass it on. When everyone had done you got your album back. We did get them back.....scratched up to f every time.
    Hmmm, me and my mates and I guess everybody else had a similar scheme back in the day. The important difference was as the new album owner you were given a blank tape by each other member of the group and recorded it for everyone. When one of the others bought a new album you gave him a blank tape to record it and so on. The album you bought never left your hands, anyone who didn't play the game and buy and record an album was frozen out (unless the excuse was very very good).

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    As a concept would be interesting, but devil would be in the details. There's a few people I've met through TZ that I'd be comfortable with in that kind of system, but not sure how it could work more broadly, nor how the inevitable problems could be handled (bump a watch or such like)

I think it's a nice idea, but as others have said could easily lead to tears.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Permanent trades on SC is probably the best way it could work. As been pointed out temporary swapping would only lead to grief.

Craftsman
    If you have ever been to a key party you’ll soon realise it’s not the answer . Get some professional help !

I love the idea butI would probably not take part if push came to shove for all the resonas elaborated by others already.

Yes, and I can imagine a scenario where the watch is substituted.

Tracing back would be fun.

Master
    Myself and a fellow TZer have loaned each other watches to try in the past without any issues. Not sure if I would spread it to a wider field tho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I imagine something like this:

WIS 1: “wow man, I really like the look of your 5146, but could never afford it myself. How about you swap it for my Casio Rangemaster that you’ve been eying up?”
    WIS 2: “sure man, here’s my 5146 - let’s swap back in a couple months?”

Good luck with that.

Craftsman
    Must get new reading glasses
    Thought it said wife swapping club
    Shes already packed her bag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Apparently there’s a place in Barnard Castle for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

But why? They're never seen and can easily be polished or brushed out?

I prefer minty fresh watches, but lug marks underneath never bother me – unless they're cm-deep gouges of course.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Thought it said wife swapping club
    Shes already packed her bag

made my day

I second most of the feelings on here - the idea is interesting but maybe the reality / operations of this wouldn’t work as well - eg one party scratches the watch by mistake so the owner then complains. Tricky when borrowing watches from others!

Thanks
    S

Master
    Anyone got a 5712 I could try for a few weeks? Happy to lend my Lorus out

The idea of something like this is really cool, but realistically it could only work really small scale, or with the watches coming from a central source with some sort of membership programme (like blockbuster for watches) and insurance or some other form of guarantee in place

On the first Edinburgh GTG back in 2009 I think, I agreed with Cliff to swap my Seadweller for his Planet Ocean for a few days for him to try out the Seadweller. We had only met that day and it seemed the right thing to do after several Jäger Bombs and lap dances!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
    On the first Edinburgh GTG back in 2009 I think, I agreed with Cliff to swap my Seadweller for his Planet Ocean for a few days for him to try out the Seadweller. We had only met that day and it seemed the right thing to do after several Jäger Bombs and lap dances!
    I hope he was good looking
    And you didn’t touch !

I couldn’t think of anything worse than allowing a watch to go out to someone else while I still own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I appreciate the post has been deleted however I am hesitant to borrowing things in general. I recall a saying along the lines of 'you bend it, you buy it'. I'm not a fan of the alternative, 'you bend it, you mend it'.