closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Face Masks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    National Rail have announced that wearing a face mask will be mandatory for travel from 15th June.
    And we were all told we had to stay 2m away from each other on the beach as well. Look at how well that went.

Rules are rules, but there will always be some muppet who ignores the rules and puts others at unnecessary risk. Such is life.

Master
    My company sent me some FFP2 masks, should I need to go to site. Fortunately I haven't but I've tried the masks on and, as has been said in previous threads, they are most uncomfortable to wear and the temptation to continually adjust them is huge, so my thoughts are to get hold of more comfortable masks that could be worn for prolonged periods of time, without the discomfort. Breathing can become quite a challenge too if worn for long periods of time.
    Clearly this would reduce the efficacy of the mask but I figure a(ny) mask is better than no mask, especially if you feel the need to touch it all time.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    To be fair to most valved masks, they valve used is usually a captive flap valve. Meaning that it is a thin silicone flap, sprung or hinged at the top, but that only moved within a cage.
    As such, it forms a very tight corner when open for exhalation, meaning that any sneezed particles are not able to turn the corner and are trapped on the internal surface of the mask. Any particle light enough to make it round this corner would make it out of most face coverings.
    Also, on many, the valve is not central anyhow, meaning that the air from a sneeze have to turn massively to get to valve in the first place.
    There really is no need to get the pitchforks out because someone wears a valved mask, they are being more responsible than anyone without a mask, and just as responsible as many people with ill-fitting or home made ones.
    Dave
    Quite, no worse than surgical masks.

Craftsman
    I am not sure masks merit a PhD in masking.

The main thing is to be careful and respect your distance to people and reduce the the time you spend in non essential contact.

Then as with all ppe it's a last line of defence when you have exhausted other means of protection.

Get a good mask wash hands etc but apply common sense (risk assessment) to all the situations you find yourself in.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Adidas and Reebok are doing face masks (a bit like the Wolford ones) they seem comfortable and are washable but will only help stop droplet spread, so very basic - 3 for £12.95
    http://www.reebok.co.uk/face-cover-l...ck/H18222.html
    No reviews but looks same as Adidas one, in stock atm

http://www.adidas.co.uk/face-cover-l...ck/H08836.html
    Has good reviews but out of stock atm
    Last edited by Thorien; 5th June 2020 at 13:14.

Sunspel have them.

Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    It would probably be more useful than Media Studies though.

Craftsman
    I think masks are nothing but an illusion of protection, a bit like airport security

Talking of airports, how about these masks?

https://www.sportys.com/wrightbros/c...face-mask.html

So if you were getting on a busy bus or train for a 30 minute commute, what type of mask would you wear? If you were taking a 3 hour flight, would you opt for a higher level rating mask than what you use on your 30 minute commute?

I suspect over the next few months, these are the questions many of us will be asking ourselves.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Adidas and Reebok are doing face masks (a bit like the Wolford ones) they seem comfortable and are washable but will only help stop droplet spread, so very basic - 3 for £12.95

Thanks for that - glad to see branding is important

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    So if you were getting on a busy bus or train for a 30 minute commute, what type of mask would you wear? If you were taking a 3 hour flight, would you opt for a higher level rating mask than what you use on your 30 minute commute?

I suspect over the next few months, these are the questions many of us will be asking ourselves.
    Some friends of mine flew back from NZ to London 3 weeks ago as their round the world trip-of-a-lifetime quickly turned to crap when they became stranded. At the airport they were not asked/checked if they had a temperature or any other C19 symptoms. They did have face masks but the plane was completely packed, so there was no attempt at social distancing at all, either on the plane of in the airport queues and virtually everyone on the flight eventually took there mask off as wearing for that duration was too unbearable and they had to eat/drink etc.

They put themselves into self-isolation when they got home and fortunately are OK, but we do have some challenging times ahead still.

Of all places NZ is probably the best in the world for it to happen, as the country is on the verge of being declared virus-free.
    Of course, on arrival, mixing pax from different flights risked ruining everything
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I recently ordered masks and hand gel from flu supplies, good price (in today's terms) £26.99 for 50 3 ply masks

https://flusupplies.com/collections/...sks-pack-of-50

Master
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...masks-over-60s WHO has now updated their advice and it changes the actual make up of the "home brew" mask

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...masks-over-60s WHO has now updated their advice and it changes the actual make up of the "home brew" mask
    So the article says “over 60’s should wear a medical grade mask” what the hell does that mean? IIR, FFP2, FFP3? Medical can mean so many things it’s crazy.

If you are elderly and vulnerable then yes you need maximum protection but maximum medical protection has to be fit tested by a qualified person.

Whilst it appears not to specify, it would have to be 'non fit tested' for it have any chance of it working.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    So the article says “over 60’s should wear a medical grade mask” what the hell does that mean? IIR, FFP2, FFP3? Medical can mean so many things it’s crazy.

If you are elderly and vulnerable then yes you need maximum protection but maximum medical protection has to be fit tested by a qualified person.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Seems far easier not to bother :)
    Certainly is, but that's not protecting others is it ...

Idea is that if everyone wore them it would be some protection. Cough or sneeze with a mask on and the spray won't travel so far .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post

Valved FFP3/N99 to cover all situations, and they have the added advantage that if you wear glasses, you do not get them steamed up.

Previous to the virus, during asbestos removal within old military bases, we always specified FFP3/N99 due to the over 99% efficiency rating.

Of course you could always stick to a few strong onions and a beret like sj!
    Last edited by genesos; 6th June 2020 at 00:32.

One of my better half's pals is good at making masks. She makes a triple layer one and uses pipe cleaners so you can mould it to your face. She also stitches a pocket on the inner side so you can put a disposable gauze in it to change.

Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    Some proper research is exactly what is missing. There seems to be no expertise on the subject, although a lot of people seem to think they know what they're talking about because they read something that suits them on the internet.

There is plenty of documented research, expertise and appropriate standards for respiratory protective equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Some proper research is exactly what is missing. There seems to be no expertise on the subject, although a lot of people seem to think they know what they're talking about because they read something that suits them on the internet.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Plenty of expertise on RPE is out there. I’ve had to do a bit of reading on the subject recently. This is a good place to start:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/respiratory-p...ment/index.htm

Don’t be fooled by outlandish claims. If it sounds too good to be true etc...

Face Masks

Most of the public (wearing anything) wear surgical masks, not RPE.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Most of the public (wearing anything) wear surgical masks, not RPE.
    True.

And the poster who mentioned there being little research wasn’t specifically asking about RPE.

In terms of research into generic face masks I saw this from my alma mater:

https://www.ed.ac.uk/covid-19-respon...nsmission-risk

But of course the most effective face coverings are classed as RPE.

Craftsman
    Some options here

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashio...y-face-mask-uk

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post

good call thank you.

Your order will be delivered on:

09 JUNE - 10 JUNE

Blog Entries
    Well if I had to wear a face mask or respirator of some sort, I think I'd like one which would go some way (a lot) to protect me from the virus. Looking online, I can't see which would be both efficacious and available to buy.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well if I had to wear a face mask or respirator of some sort, I think I'd like one which would go some way (a lot) to protect me from the virus. Looking online, I can't see which would be both efficacious and available to buy.
    That’s not how it works…

Look at it as an act of altruism and make your choice that way maybe? And hope other responsible types might do the same…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    That’s not how it works…

Look at it as an act of altruism and make your choice that way maybe? And hope other responsible types might do the same…
    I admire your faith in your fellow man. I hope it is rewarded, although given people’s actions so far I’m not convinced!
    I still feel it’s my responsibility to protect myself and family though, rather than rely on others, hence looking for masks which protect the wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sunspel have them.
    £10 a go.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I admire your faith in your fellow man. I hope it is rewarded, although given people’s actions so far I’m not convinced!
    I still feel it’s my responsibility to protect myself and family though, rather than rely on others, hence looking for masks which protect the wearer.
    In many ways I share your misanthropic views on the matter.
    However I believe that a respirator in an open environment could prove more dangerous due to lack of comfort, and will wear a fabric mask for social acceptance while continuing to act as I have since the beginning of the lockdown in terms of social distancing.

From my wife (SRN)

1) Putting on your mask
    Wash hands.
    Place mask on face.
    Wash Hands.
    Wash Hands again

2) Touching/adjusting your mask.
    Wash Hands
    Adjust Mask
    Wash Hands again.

3) Removing your mask
    Wash Hands
    Remove Mask
    Dispose of mask (safely, as it’s now a bio hazard)
    Wash Hands again.

Note, for a mask to be effective it must cover the nose and mouth fully. It does not work of either the nose/mouth is not covered. it certainly will not work if it’s pulled under your chin. (As seen on TV). Finally as soon as you mask becomes damp/wet it’s become useless and is more dangerous than wearing nothing.

Her view is that a better option is avoid masks, maintain social distancing and keep on hand washing. If that’s not possible (using public transport for example) then use full face visor and frequent hand washing.

Finally as soon as your mask becomes damp/wet it has become useless and is effectively more dangerous than wearing nothing.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    In many ways I share your misanthropic views on the matter.
    However I believe that a respirator in an open environment could prove more dangerous due to lack of comfort, and will wear a fabric mask for social acceptance while continuing to act as I have since the beginning of the lockdown in terms of social distancing.
    Perhaps 'respirator' was the wrong terminology, I actually meant masks of the FFP3 or FFP2 variety. As for social distancing we have been taking it very seriously, I just wish more people would.

Perhaps 'respirator' was the wrong terminology, I actually meant masks of the FFP3 or FFP2 variety. As for social distancing we have been taking it very seriously, I just wish more people would.
    You are probably used to using them Ian, which makes things easier. For most people they will be poorly fitted, hard to breath through if well fitted, and require/provoke regular handling, thus increasing the chances of virus contamination. It also increases your sense of being protected, thus possibly leading (unconsciously or not) to greater risk taking.

If I was travelling on the train for commuting, I would wear a full face visor on top of my fabric mask, and would have an alcohol gel bottle in my bag. I don't think anything else would protect me better, apart from a vicious looking dog that would enforce other people's social distancing away from me.

Blog Entries
    You are probably used to using them Ian, which makes things easier. For most people they will be poorly fitted, hard to breath through if well fitted, and require/provoke regular handling, thus increasing the chances of virus contamination. It also increases your sense of being protected, thus possibly leading (unconsciously or not) to greater risk taking.

If I was travelling on the train for commuting, I would wear a full face visor on top of my fabric mask, and would have an alcohol gel bottle in my bag. I don't think anything else would protect me better, apart from a vicious looking dog that would enforce other people's social distancing away from me.
    You're probably right in that most people probably wouldn't take the time, or have the knowledge to ensure they were working properly.

I can't think of anything worse than commuting by train/tube at the moment, I'm glad we're not working so don't have to do anything like that. If I had to I'd be taking similar measures to you. (although it's normally me enforcing distancing, not the spaniel!)

Master
    I presume the ‘washable face coverings’ have to be washed after each use so you would need a stack of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I presume the ‘washable face coverings’ have to be washed after each use so you would need a stack of them?
    Obviously depends on how long you wear them for.

Craftsman
    I have bought several from different places. The best ones we have bought are definitely these ones. They also do a kids size.

https://www.dancinginthestreet.com/C...orm/Face-Masks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Yes, apparently....

"People over 60 or with health issues should wear a medical-grade mask when they are out and cannot socially distance, according to new guidance from the World Health Organization, while all others should wear a three-layer fabric mask."

However, how do you know you are buying the correct grade? I've seen some advertised as 'medical grade' which have some pretty bad reviews.

Yes, apparently....

"People over 60 or with health issues should wear a medical-grade mask when they are out and cannot socially distance, according to new guidance from the World Health Organization, while all others should wear a three-layer fabric mask."

However, how do you know you are buying the correct grade? I've seen some advertised as 'medical grade' which have some pretty bad reviews.
    Ook, you know that people who review things often have no idea what a 'good' thing is! Anyone can write anything if they've bought it, and often they have no idea what they've bought.

I'd imagine if they were masks that had been certified in some way, it's because they found them uncomfortable (because they didn't know how to fit them properly), because they found them more difficult to breathe in than the usual thin sheets of cotton (because they were actually providing some form of half decent filtration), because they didn't look that great on their faces (what with being practical rather than pretty)...etc.

They will have zero idea if they were actually 'good' products in terms of the most important thing - protection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Ook, you know that people who review things often have no idea what a 'good' thing is! Anyone can write anything if they've bought it, and often they have no idea what they've bought.

I'd imagine if they were masks that had been certified in some way, it's because they found them uncomfortable (because they didn't know how to fit them properly), because they found them more difficult to breathe in than the usual thin sheets of cotton (because they were actually providing some form of half decent filtration), because they didn't look that great on their faces (what with being practical rather than pretty)...etc.

They will have zero idea if they were actually 'good' products in terms of the most important thing - protection.
    Actually they were referring to the fact some were very flimsy in comparison to others they had bought and seemed cheaply made in comparison. No mention of looking pretty or difficulty breathing, so you imagined wrongly.

I am going to imagine too: ‘medical grade’ is used by some manufacturers as a marketing description whereas what the WHO refers to actually needs to meet certain norms.

As said before there are various “medical grades” of mask depending on the situation they are to be used for. At the moment there are so many fakes it’s ridiculous, but as you’d expect it costs penny’s to make some of these and all you need to fake them is stamp them on the side, so it’s a very could return.

Take a look at this.

https://www.bsigroup.com/en-GB/about...al-face-masks/

Blog Entries
    I am going to imagine too: ‘medical grade’ is used by some manufacturers as a marketing description whereas what the WHO refers to actually needs to meet certain norms.
    I think you’re pretty much on target there from what I’ve seen.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Went back to work today and was fit tested for one of the 4 FFP3 masks that we have managed to obtain. There are 11 of us that need them if we are to do any meaningful work. We were asked to share the masks but have refused to do so. The mask failed the fit test with me so at least one of the others can give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Went back to work today and was fit tested for one of the 4 FFP3 masks that we have managed to obtain. There are 11 of us that need them if we are to do any meaningful work. We were asked to share the masks but have refused to do so. The mask failed the fit test with me so at least one of the others can give it a go.
    Ridiculous to share a mask.