closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The price of old stuff that is useless

Master

The price of old stuff that is useless

Back in the days of 35mm film I used a Leica M6 with a few lens. I often visited the Parcelforce HQ in Milton Keynes which was next door to the Leica service centre. I had it fully serviced and then digital came along and rendered the M6 redundant. It has been stuck in a drawer ever since.

A couple of days ago, so guy mentioned that he was looking for a Leica film camera and asked me to have a think about selling it to him. I was thinking of asking about £200 and on a whim decided to check out the for sale columns on ebay. I couldn't believe it, the going rate seems to be around £2k which is ridiculous. Even the lens were going for stupid money.

Why pay that sort of money for something which is impossible to use ?

Is there any "expert" here who can offer an explanation.

The price of old stuff that is useless

Not impossible. Some people still use film, that’s all (even some on here).

There will always be a demand for quality.
    Doesn't matter what the item is.

Master
    In what way is it impossible to use?

Many people never stopped using film and hate digital.

That brand is legendary in the film world and their name and cheap are never in the same sentence.

Granted you can’t just pop down to boots any more to get your films processed - although if you are using Leica kit you probably would be processing and printing your film yourself or using a pro lab. I am sure you can still do both...

The Leica lenses can be used on the digital kit anyway and they were always the most expensive part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Back in the days of 35mm film I used a Leica M6 with a few lens. I often visited the Parcelforce HQ in Milton Keynes which was next door to the Leica service centre. I had it fully serviced and then digital came along and rendered the M6 redundant. It has been stuck in a drawer ever since.

A couple of days ago, so guy mentioned that he was looking for a Leica film camera and asked me to have a think about selling it to him. I was thinking of asking about £200 and on a whim decided to check out the for sale columns on ebay. I couldn't believe it, the going rate seems to be around £2k which is ridiculous. Even the lens were going for stupid money.

You really are vey special Mick. Don’t ever change - we love you

Master
    You’ve got to hand it to Mick, he’s got great taste.

Master
    Film is making a bit of a comeback. Max Spielman are still around and there are many others who still process film (Tesco etc.)

https://www.maxphoto.co.uk/services/film-processing

Most Leica lenses can be used with adapter on modern mirrorless cameras.

Craftsman
    Far from useless
    Leica lenses are fantastic and the M series cameras are timeless classics

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

There are enough people out there who still value quality. As you'll be aware from ownership that's one of the best cameras ever made. Why wouldn't it still command high prices? The lenses are still some of the best ever made too and can be put onto many cameras (including non-Leica) using adaptors which are readily available.

Kind of like asking why do people still value Rolex 5513s, 321 Speedmasters and E-Type Jaguars.

Master
    I know the Leicas are good cameras, that is why I bought it along with a few lens. It operates like a wrist watch, everything is silky smooth but I sort of assumed that film cameras had gone the way of slide rules. Every pic I take now is with the iPhone because of the sheer convenience.

I will see if any of my kids or grandkids want it, it is just wasted on me.

Master
    It’s a bit like the vinyl and digital debate... some people have never stopped listening to vinyl and continue to do so, same with film, I have friends who still have dark rooms as well and develop their own stuff.

Horses for courses I suppose

Mike 👍

I'd love to see Mick on the Antiques Roadshow with a tatty old mechanical watch when his new Apple Watch does so much more. Who wants an old watch anyway?! It's not even waterproof anymore, useless

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'd love to see Mick on the Antiques Roadshow with a tatty old mechanical watch when his new Apple Watch does so much more. Who wants an old watch anyway?! It's not even waterproof anymore, useless
    I wouldn't wear an Apple Watch if I was paid to. I don't mind being attacked here but to suggest that is beyond the pale.

My most commonly worn watch is a 1980 Rolex 1655 Explorer11 and it is bloody tatty because everyone yells don't spruce it up whatever you do.

I was just genuinely surprised to discover that the M6 was worth more than £200. I assumed that most Leica users want the best and that they would have bought the latest model and consigned the old 35mm model into some spare junk cupboard.

There was no need to be so bloody offensive.

Oh Mick, lighten up. Are you that offended that I mentioned you having an apple watch for a joke?

Craftsman
    It's definitely worth more, I'll give you £250 I love "proper" b+w over digital.

Taken with a £50 camera. I need to upgrade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Many people (often younger) are disenchanted with the digital world they are in and like good quality older items.

Vinyl of course is big now but hipsters are now back into cassettes!

After all, why would you want some hugely expensive mechanical watch when a cheap quartz can tell the time just as well?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    I remember in my dim and distant yoof, spending a full evening developing and printing just two pics. Hoops needed to be jumped through to do it but in the day it was all in one’s stride. Happy days with fond memories of my Nikon FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Many people (often younger) are disenchanted with the digital world they are in and like good quality older items.

Vinyl of course is big now but hipsters are now back into cassettes!

After all, why would you want some hugely expensive mechanical watch when a cheap quartz can tell the time just as well?
    I never got that.

Like most people I had a cassette player at home and in the car, and recorded vinyl onto cassette for the car, but buying pre recorded cassettes instead of vinyl???

I acquired a few, but often they got chewed up after a few plays, and the sound quality was rubbish.

Audio on cassette is akin to dropping digital cameras for 110 film!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Audio on cassette is akin to dropping digital cameras for 110 film!

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Likely a completely redundant post on my part so apologies in advance.

Using a good blank formulation ( TDK SA-X I seem to recall were my go to) in combination with a good recorder ( Nakamichi or Sony were what I generally favoured) with good recording levels and a good clean source like vinyl or CD you could get a cassette recording that was almost as good as the original.

Of note is that by the time you've shelled out for the kit and the high quality blanks you are usually more expensive than buying the original cassette version of an album anyway ; however these were so shockingly bad in terms of quality that I have little sympathy for the copyright holders.